New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  18:07:22  Show Profile
Is anyone here hypoglycemic? I've been having a lot of the symptoms for s few years now and it's starting to concern me. My friend's Nutritional Doctor said that if I am hypoglycemic I could go into a coma given my weight and will most definately die young if I don't regulate my diet. I was wondering if anyone had any info on this. I went to this site ( http://www.hypoglycemia.org/ ) and took the test which said I'm at high risk. I always though my temper was so severe b/c I inherited it from my father but now I'm thinking that might not be the case.

Some of the symptoms of hypoglycemia are:

fatigue
insomnia
mental confusion
nervousness
mood swings
faintness
headaches
depression
phobias
heart palpitations
a craving for sweets
cold hands and feet
forgetfulness
dizziness
blurred vision
inner trembling
outbursts of temper
sudden hunger
allergies
crying spells

"I joined the Cult of Popeye / The CoF required my good eye"

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  18:12:23  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
I'm sorry to hear that scutor. I have it too, and it sucks, but there are good ways to combat it. My younger brother (he's 14?) just got diagnosed with it as well. I'm self-diagnosed. I'll get back to you as soon as I can - gotta go take care of my sick hubby. All of those symptoms are right-on for me. Scary! brb, I hope.
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  18:18:17  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
I have hypoglycemia, as do both of my parents. I get really irritable and shaky if I don't keep my blood sugar up. Don't freak, it won't kill you--just eat little meals about six times a day and make sure you have some protein with each one. Phase out as much refined sugar and caffeine as you can. I feel really awful this week cause I can't stay out of the damned Halloween candy. Mine has been much better since I quit drinking. I try to make sure that I always have something like an apple or some almonds on me if I'm out and about and feel my blood sugar slipping. Keep that blood sugar up and that should help even out your mood swings.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / And all I got was this lousy icon"
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  18:33:50  Show Profile
Thanks gals! See, everyone thought I was just a bastard when I'd get cranky and hungry. My girlfriend was cooking spaghetti this summer and it took like an hour for the water to boil, I shit you not - it was a crappy oven. Anyhoo, I got really pissed off and went to McDonalds which was just a min away. When I came back 1o mins later I was in a fine mood and she was so surprised at the change. We joke now that I have a right to say "woman, hurry up with my damn dinner!"

I'm just a little concerned about this coma business. I'm almost 6 ft. tall and only weigh 125lbs. I know, it's gross. I read that bit about 6 meals a day. I'm constantly eating and I mean constantly. People are amazed that I never gain weight. But why do I get cravings for sugar if sugar is bad for me? Usually I'll eat something sweet then have to balance it out with cheerios or something.

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  20:12:28  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
That spaghetti story sounds so familiar, it hurts! Just a quick bit of advice, since I have to get to bed, gotta take the cat to the vet early in the morning for her vaccines - yipee - I'm sure she's going to be thrilled about it when she finds out, too.

Cheerios is not the best for hypoglycemia, as it's still got refined oat flour, which converts to glucose quickly. From what I've read and heard, the reason you crave sweets can be either psychological (comfort/emotional eating), and/or because of the blood sugar spike, that gives you kind of a rush. But if you'll notice, there is also an accompanying plummet in energy and mood soon after. I used to think I was manic before I realized it was hypoglycemia.

If you are craving sweets maybe you could try to find fruits that you like, or check for items that are whole grain and use fructose for sweeteners. It'll take some time to develope a taste for the different diet and lowered intake of refined sugars, but after a while (just a week or two for me) you won't even miss it, and very sweet desserts won't seem as appealing. Don't get me wrong, I still eat stuff like that, but I try to limit it. Raisins and other dried fruit are great, and I know it may sound boring, but a ziplock bag of prepared raw veggies in the fridge is a lifesaver for me. Mere's protein tip is right on too - I usually go for peanuts, almonds, or even a tablespoon of peanut butter every once in a while. Well, I just babbled on and on there, didn't I? ;) I don't know if any of that was helpful - I should just wait until I can actually sit down and think before I type....I'll try again tomorrow. G'night!
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  20:14:17  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
I just spooked myself out. It's Halloween and my post count just went to 666. Well, waddya know? heh heh
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2003 :  05:27:32  Show Profile
thanks apl, you're being extremely helpful. I wonder about the cheerio thing because they are also whole grain and my favorite snack, the one that makes me feel most balanced, is cheerios with chocolate milk.

It's unfortunate that I don't like a lot of fruits but I dig nuts so that'll help. My family thought I was manic too and I may be but who really knows?

Again, thanks everyone for your input; it helps me know I'm not insane. I've been to the hospital twice for heart problems but as I'm only 21 and the EKG read perfectly they just looked at me cross-eyed and sent me home making me feel like an idiot. That website I posted actually said "and if your doctor thinks you might be a hypochondriac because medical tests don't show anything physically wrong with you - don't despair, there's hope!" Nice to know it's not imagined.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2003 :  07:33:39  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
hypoglycemia, does that mean you're diabetic?
we call it the ''sugar-dissease' here...

"I joined the Culf of Frank/ And now I do not know what...to do"
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2003 :  08:31:36  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
Nope, it's the opposite of diabetes--diabetes is high blood sugar (or hyperglycemia), but hypoglycemia is low blood sugar. Often diabetics have trouble with hypoglycemia too--in trying to get their blood sugar down w/medication it will go too low.

OK, I taught you something, so give us some more Dutch phrases! :-)

"I joined the Cult of Frank / And all I got was this lousy icon"

Edited by - mereubu on 11/01/2003 08:32:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000