Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  14:23:56  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
What did you think.

I just got finished watching it last night and I still don't know what to think as I only saw the goody happy ending.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by - the swimmer on 10/31/2003 07:14:22

Carolynanna
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  14:31:37  Show Profile
I thought the concept of it was cool and I usually like Zombie movies, and what's even better is that these Zombies are fast. But I still don't get the point, like they're not eating anyone's brains, their sole goal is to infect or what? I thught it was really weak overall.

But the thing that made it even worse was the whole rape theme going on. What was the point of that? Its really offensive.
Go to Top of Page

bedrock_barney
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
871 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  14:54:54  Show Profile
Well it got me going in the way that The Matrix Reloaded (or whatever it was called) didn't. The plot was a leaky old boat but it had some good shock moments and the early deserted London scenes were very strong. Got a bit gung ho towards the end and I agree with Carolyn that the potential rape scenes were distasteful but I guess they were trying to portray a country in total anarchy with all the normal rules of society removed.

Lots of people seem to want to rate the film by comparing it to previous zombie films. I think the comparison is pointless. It isn't really a zombie film, more a breakdown of society type thing. Like Stephen King's The Stand but less complex and fulfilling as a story.

I enjoyed it. Would give it a 6.5 out of 10.
Go to Top of Page

bedrock_barney
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
871 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  14:56:48  Show Profile
p.s. just finished watching 'Adaptation' with Nicolas Cage on dvd. Very good if not a little weird.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  15:03:02  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
I liked Adaptation muchly. Works on a number of levels.
Do you reckon this is going to deep?:
Early in the film Cage's charcacter says he doesn't want to resort to sex/drugs/car chases etc, because it would cheapen the concept and make the proposed film less good all round. However, later in Adaptation, when the sex and drugs and car chases et al all kick in is when the movie seemed to drag for me. Do you think this was intentional?

"I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid"

Go to Top of Page

WolfManMikeLonely
= Cult of Ray =

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  19:09:11  Show Profile  Visit WolfManMikeLonely's Homepage
I liked 28 Days Later it really got me going in the theater it was really scary that unlike most zombie or zombie type films these guys moved so fast, like Carolynanna said. Also that they only had to exchange blood with you or whatever made it extra tense in the scenes when they were fighting the zombies. Yeah the plot was a little thin but it was a lot more fun than the Matrix was, at least for me. As far as the opening scene with the empty London goes that was cool but it went too damn long it seemed like that one scene was like 20 minutes before there was even any dialogue, maybe I just have a short attention span but I was about to walk out.

"Hey fuck you if you don't like it."
-Johnny Thunders
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  19:24:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bedrock_barney

p.s. just finished watching 'Adaptation' with Nicolas Cage on dvd. Very good if not a little weird.

i just watched ADAPTATION again on DVD the other night. undoubtedly the best film of last year.. without question.

mijn vriendin kan geen orgasme krijgen
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1462 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  20:27:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cheeseman1000

I liked Adaptation muchly. Works on a number of levels.
Do you reckon this is going to deep?:
Early in the film Cage's charcacter says he doesn't want to resort to sex/drugs/car chases etc, because it would cheapen the concept and make the proposed film less good all round. However, later in Adaptation, when the sex and drugs and car chases et al all kick in is when the movie seemed to drag for me. Do you think this was intentional?

adaptation is my favorite film of the last year. nic cage rocked in this flick. reminded me of old school nic cage. i too thought that there were so many different levels with this movie. and that it was intentional that the movie turned into a typical hollywood movie by the end. that totally cracked me up. it was the whole charlie vs donald. charlie was writing the script but the end turned into something donald would have written.

then there is the adaptation of the movie- a book, to screenplay, to a movie. there's the adaptation of charlie- how he grows throughout the movie and slowly figures things out throughout the story. there's also the darwinian scenes of the animals and the earth. how the earth, animals, and man has adapted throughout the ages. i may be off but i also thought that on another level the movie was a bit similar to nic cage's career. he started off like charlie in that he was proud to do artistic quality movies- valley girl, rumble fish, moonstruck, birdy, vampires kiss, wild at heart, and then leaving las vegas in which he won an oscar. and then after he won the oscar he started doing donald type movies- formulaic commercial hollywood movies like the rock, con-air, and face off. nic cage used to be my favorite actor (almost similar to my respect and admiration for frank black) and then he started to these shit hollywood movies. i was so disappointed. but then he comes back and does adaptation, plays the part of twins (does a phenomenal job- should have won the oscar imo)- one as a commercial writer and the other as an artistic writer. similar to his career. i later saw him in an interview that one of the main reasons he decided to go play the action hero guy after leaving las vegas was because he didn't want to get typecast as an overly serious actor type- so he went and did some fun blow em up movies. a bit like how charlie was so serious about life. donald was so care free, loves life, loves getting laid, doesn't worry about people likeing him, has no fear, and things in life are much easier for him. as one of the last lines of the movie donald said to charlie "it's not who loves you, it's who you love."

i could go on and on. i fuckin love that movie. makes me want to go check it out again.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ and I got a free t-shirt with this dude on it."

Edited by - fumanbru on 10/29/2003 20:28:26
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  20:30:29  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
Shit. Just reading that blew my mind.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  02:29:18  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
It has to be said, though, fumanbru, that even his blockbuster films were better than the typical hollywood fare. Face/Off is excellent stuff, very arty, very John Woo. Also, you forgot to mention Raising Arizona among his earlier films, and thats definitely worth watching.

Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1462 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  05:07:21  Show Profile
yes i would agree. i enjoyed face/off, going into the theatre kind of knowing what to expect, but was shaking my head after i paid $12 to see con air. raising arizona was pretty funny. also, honeymoon in vegas is a classic.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ and I got a free t-shirt with this dude on it."
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  05:33:14  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
I can bear Con Air, and even The Rock. As no-brainer action flicks go, they pass the time as well as any. Still, I'd much rather put the effort in and watch Adaptation or Arizona.
What did you make of Being John Malkovich (same screenwriters etc)? I think its good, but a bit over-rated. Fascinating concept, though, and Malkovich is brilliant.

Go to Top of Page

bedrock_barney
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
871 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  06:42:51  Show Profile
Wholeheartedly agree with you Cheeseman.

I sometimes want to sit in front of the tv and not have to think too hard. The Con Air's of this world are perfect for that (you need a good villain though like J Malkovich). Saying that, in a moment of weakness I brought home Eight Legged Freaks from the dvd shop earlier this year. Now that is a diabolical shambles of a film. I almost asked for my money back.

Being John Malkovich was a superb film. A bit like Adaptation in that the viewer didn't know where the hell it was heading! A few other classics that I've thoroughly enjoyed- Ed Wood, Delicatessen, Glengarry Glen Ross, The Ice Storm, Gattaca, K-PAX.
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  07:11:09  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Didn't really think much of 28 Days Later, although was impressed at how they got London looking so empty. Glengarry Glen Ross, Gattaca and K Pax are great movies. I actually have Ed Wood on DVD but never got around to watching it. Going through a Jeff Bridges phase at the moment, class actor, pity I cannot get my hands on a copy of The Big Lebowski out here though!

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Go to Top of Page

bedrock_barney
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
871 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  07:16:38  Show Profile
I too think Jeff Bridges is a great actor. Always liked 'Tucker' although I think it was panned at the time.

You should watch 'Ed Wood' - very very funny. One of Johnny Depp's best. Martin Landau also superb as Bela Legosi (although I think Space 1999 when I see Landau on the screen!)
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  07:35:36  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
Speaking of Jeff. The Fisher King is a Great Movie I think.

What was the line that Jeff Bidges TV Character had as a catchphrase in that movie?
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  07:38:08  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
Oh yes, Big Lebowski, such a good movie. Check out Arlington Rd (flawed but great).
Ed Wood is ace, but not as good as Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas for Jonny Depp ("This is bat country!").

Anyone unfamiliar with any Coen brothers film should check them out - if you haven't seen every one (with the possible exception of Hudsucker Proxy) then you're missing out. Barton Fink, O Brother, Fargo, its all good.
Talking of films you have to think about, how about Memento: how good is that film. Its one of those where you want to sit down and watch it again straight away, just to make sense of it. I'd love to see the DVD, with the rearranged scenes.

Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  08:46:56  Show Profile
Raising Arizona was more than pretty funny, its classic.

For 28 days, did they even give an explanation on how you can infect someone with 'rage'?
Go to Top of Page

gracie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
573 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  10:06:07  Show Profile
I really liked Donnie Darko but didn't really understand the ending. I looked on the website but that was even more confusing.

Anyone care to enlighten me? i know it had something to do with time travel.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  10:11:22  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
The cool thing about Donnie Darko is that it doesn't need to make sense, its really cool on every level. Ace soundtrack too: Mad World is fantastic, plus Echo & The Bunnymen, wahay!

Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  11:05:17  Show Profile
'rockin' good news...'
-wild at heart

r
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  17:42:00  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
28 Days Later was pretty good.. The army camp thing seemed pretty unlikely, it's not like years had gone by...but maybe folks are different in the UK.
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  17:50:08  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
I picked up Tucker on DVD about a month ago, thats a Francis Ford Coppola movie isn't it?? The most recent JB movie I have seen is Fear, which although a little bizarre was pretty good. If you want to see a good movie then get a Jeff Bridges one, he is pretty consistent.

Seen Kill Bill around in the stores here, just waiting for a few weeks for a good copy then I'll put my two cents in. I was reading in a Beijing magazine yesterday that it has a sequel coming out next year.

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5454 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  22:57:43  Show Profile
Kill Bill was originally going to be one film but it ended being so long it got chopped into 2. I read that the second half ends up being less action oriented.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  10:53:53  Show Profile
well said fumanbru (re: ADAPTATION)

i don't think most people "got" the film (ie. my parents).. it's a pretty cerebral film..

mijn vriendin kan geen orgasme krijgen
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  11:48:16  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Carolynanna

Raising Arizona was more than pretty funny, its classic.

For 28 days, did they even give an explanation on how you can infect someone with 'rage'?

Did you see the movie?
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  11:52:47  Show Profile
Is that sarcasm I detect?
Yes I saw the movie, did I miss a part?
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  15:45:27  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Carolynanna

Is that sarcasm I detect?
Yes I saw the movie, did I miss a part?

Um yeah, the main part of the movie. Any drop of blood on any open bit of sore or your mouth or eye or whatever and you get infected within seconds.

It was the main point of the movie.
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  18:33:59  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Managed to pick up Kill Bill last night, pretty good picture but when any amusing scenes occur you hear a roar of laughter from an out of sight audience. Fucking camera in the cinema job.... it went straight in the bin.

Edited by - Stuart on 10/31/2003 18:35:38
Go to Top of Page

interloper
= Cult of Ray =

440 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2003 :  05:52:07  Show Profile
I thought 28 days after was an amazing film in the sense that, In this age of movies that flat out suck, and I mean suck, it's great that the only thing that at least seems fresh, is a straight up zombie film. Who would've thunk it? I saw Adaptation, I didn't really care for it. I liked it up to a certain point, and Meryl Streep's character's desire to be passionate about something, anything, is a very unchartered notion in film and literature, and was expressed wonderfully, right up until the end when it turned into a bad Quinten Tarrantino daydream. I should have known it was the Being John Malkovich guy. That guy is a dork. As far as Nic Cage, it really goes no further than Wild At Heart. I really think that it's about as suited for a certain film as ol' Nic will ever get. He's not really the most amazing actor if you think about it. As far as Donnie Darko, what exactly do you guys find confusing about the end? I think it made perfect sense.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000