New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
383 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  15:27:13  Show Profile
Years ago I remember reading about a public sculpture/fountain installation somewhere in LA, downtown I believe. It was called something like the "Triflorian Fountain" or something, except that I can't find any reference to that name anywhere on the internet. It was supposed to be a whole audio-visual display with lights, speakers, water, the whole bit. The whole thing was that it was created as a symbol of progress and whatnot, but fell into severe disrepair over the years. Anyhow, if anybody knows what I'm talking about I'd really like to know what it is/was called, and if it still exists, where it is...

"the Cult of Eric: / where a man feels like a king / and a king feels like some kinda crazy super king"

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  16:03:32  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
I don't know if this is the right artist, but Ned Kahn does a lot of beautiful eco/science-related public sculpture/installations that are incredible and sound very similar to what you describe:

http://nedkahn.com/water.html#encircled

Edited by - apl4eris on 10/28/2003 16:48:48
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  16:21:46  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
or this?
http://www.usc.edu/isd/archives/la/pubart/CivicCenter/stevenson.html
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  16:22:54  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Here's a page about LA pulic art... don't know if it'll help.
http://www.usc.edu/isd/archives/la/pubart/Downtown/
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  16:30:48  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Found it!!!
Triforium Fountain, by Joseph Young:

http://www.experiencela.com/MA_PublicArt.htm

Triforium Located at the Los Angeles Mall, Triforium by Joseph Young was the world's first public sculpture to integrate light and sound by use of a computer and it remains one of the few public art pieces that applies modern technology to enrich and intensify its impact.

Address:
Main St / Temple St
Los Angeles , 90012

http://www.usc.edu/isd/archives/la/pubart/CivicCenter/triforium.html

Edited by - apl4eris on 10/28/2003 16:32:54
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
383 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  16:45:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by apl4eris

Found it!!!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! LET'S ALL GO TO THE TRIFORIUM NOW!!!

"the Cult of Eric: / where a man feels like a king / and a king feels like some kinda crazy super king"
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  16:49:59  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Yay! I really dig public art - no problem anazgos!
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  17:01:37  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
So, what is it about this thing that's got ya all riled up?
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
383 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  18:03:40  Show Profile
i don't know, really, i read about it years ago, where it was emphasized that it was designed to do all sorts of things, like synchronized light and sound, but that it was ultimately neglected and fell into disrepair. I like public art too, and I've always been fascinated with public areas or buildings which have gone to seed or whatever (abandoned buildings, disused train tracks, anything no longer used for it's intended purpose, but which essentially exists in its original state), so this is a combination of those interests. I heard about it years ago and have always wanted to find it, and today was trying to tell somebody at work about, and got 'riled up' when i couldn't accurately remember the name or find any info about it. The guy I was talking to said it had been 'deleted from the Matrix'. i looked through that USC directory too, before posting, but somehow I missed it.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  19:03:18  Show Profile
The fountain at the LA Music Center is nice, too. The fountain itself is not clearly defined-- water simply comes out of holes in the ground. There is no real pattern to the spurts, either, so it's fun to sit nearby and watch people accidentally walk into it during a dry period and get sprayed from underneath.

Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
383 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  19:16:03  Show Profile
There's one that you can sort of see driving by on the 101 or the 110, at night it's lit up all flaming orange, looks really great. Think it's in the same area, might be that one there.

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  19:42:26  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by anazgnos

I like public art too, and I've always been fascinated with public areas or buildings which have gone to seed or whatever (abandoned buildings, disused train tracks, anything no longer used for it's intended purpose, but which essentially exists in its original state), so this is a combination of those interests.
That's really cool, my interests lay along those lines as well - I have a deep love for these kinds of things, and put them in a lot of my art. One structure that I love in particular is the Big Four Bridge (used to be an old railroad bridge) in Louisville, KY, on the Ohio River:
http://www.structurae.de/en/structures/data/str01373.php

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000