Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Coldheartofstone
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
2025 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  16:26:10  Show Profile  Click to see Coldheartofstone's MSN Messenger address
Holy christ,

I haven't seen this movie yet, and it better be as good as everyone has been telling me or else i will have to kill.....someone...
what's the big deal...

"Go and tell the king that the sky is falling in when its not...."

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  16:35:21  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address
It's not, over hyped and a big assed case of style over content. And I'm a big Tarantino fan to the point were I own 2 DVD's of Pulp, a DVD or Res Dogs and Vhs copy, 2 Bad Mo Fo wallets (both different styles) not to mention all the posters and other movies on Vhs or DVD and I felt let down. No twists, no great dialogue, some appalingly slow scenes (the man from okinawa) It almost had me fooled though, I left the cinema like "Wow that was great" then an hour later I realized I'd been conned. If any Tarantino fans want a constructive arguement about this I'll be on MSN for the next 35 mins.

Give 1000 monkey's 1000 typewriters and you're gonna be reading bullshit for the rest of your life.
Go to Top of Page

Coldheartofstone
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
2025 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  16:37:22  Show Profile  Click to see Coldheartofstone's MSN Messenger address
thanks...it's just beginning to piss me off... i guess ill just have to see for myself... but my opinion is not going to be the same as it would have been if i hadn't heard so much about this damn movie.

Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  16:39:00  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
I went in expecting some cool fights. That's what I got. So.

I like it.
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  16:44:58  Show Profile
My opinions of movies, tv, etc. is not usually swayed by other people's opinions. I kind of expect to like Kill Bill when I actually see it, but mainly because of the fight scenes; I like violence in movies. I can't help it.
Go to Top of Page

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  16:45:52  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address
Yeah I guess that's fair enough swimmer but I went in expecting an honest to goodness Tarantino movie. Maybe I was expecting Pulp Fiction again after Jackie Brown being a slight dissapointment (which up until now I blamed on not being an original script). I don't think Pulp Fiction will ever be bettered though.

Give 1000 monkey's 1000 typewriters and you're gonna be reading bullshit for the rest of your life.
Go to Top of Page

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  16:47:43  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address
I totally agree with you glacial, an opinion is exactly that and everyones is different. But I had to have my two cents you know. Movies are something I take very seriously :)

Go to Top of Page

Coldheartofstone
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
2025 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  16:50:15  Show Profile  Click to see Coldheartofstone's MSN Messenger address
im not saying.."my god i can't form my own opinion...so tell me if movie good or movie bad!" im just asking... i mean is it good enough to waste 15 bucks on it, or should i go and buy beer...

Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  16:50:41  Show Profile
Saw it yesterday. I agree with guy nolan-- style over substance. I noticed at IMDB that 50% of those who rated it gave it a 10. Give me a break. I gave it a 6. It was entertaining but definitely not worth seeing a second time, much less a "classic".
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  16:52:03  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
I just don't think could get another Pulp Fiction.

And I think this is WAY closer to Pulp F than JacB was.

Man, c'mon...don't you yjink it was cool. All them Crazy 88s and Go Go and the Vernita Green fight and "Tall drink a'cocksucker" and all the blood fountains.

It was FUN!
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  16:53:08  Show Profile
If you give a constructive argument on MSN post it here please. I think there is an argument to be made but I don't think it could possibly be strong enough to counter the pros.

"I joined the Cult of Popeye / The CoF required my good eye"
Go to Top of Page

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  17:02:37  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address
Yeah it was cool and maybe If I had not known about it and gone on a whim or something I would have enjoyed it a little more. It was just hyped so much I expected to leave the cinema in a state of multiple orgasm or something. I've never been a huge fan of action movies anyway, I do tend to get a little bored during car chases e.t.c, it's the kind of stuff I expect to see in Bond movies. When Tarantino's name is on the poster I'm expecting at least a dash of cool dialogue which this film lacked almost completely. I've never really been into the whole kung fu thing anyway, I find it little bit repitive no matter how well it's done. One of my main problems with the film is you know exactly what's gonna happen. Try synopsising pulp fiction and you're looking at about half a page. This was Uma get's hurt, goes for revenge, kills everyone in her way. Yawn. Who expected the part of pulp fiction where marvin gets 'accidentally' shot, or Uma's over dose, you get the idea. I know it's a little short sighted comparing this and that as they are both from a different genre e.t.c. but I really was expecting wonderous things from this movie after all the interview and general media coverage. I'll definitely be treating volume 2 with a lot more caution. (Not that I won't be one of the first in line when it comes out) I think I owe Mr Tarantino that for Res and Pulp alone.

Go to Top of Page

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  17:16:14  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address
Well there's a taste of what my arguement would sound like, the lesser reviews on metacritic.com probably sum up what i think anyway. In the interview on my red dogs dvd Tarantino says (defending the violence of the film) "I could make the best slapstick movie of all time, but if slapstick isn't your thing, your not gonna like" Thinking about that probably sums my situation, I've just never been into Kung Fu. So I'd say if you like this genre go see it, if not, don't just go for the hype because you may be dissapointed. I'm guessing that volume 2 won't be as Martial arts oriented as only one person on The Brides list was Japanese. So maybe when I can see it as a whole I'll appreciate it more. Speaking of that, there's another thing that pissed me off, the fact they broke the film in 2. I can't help but feel that was a commercial thing despite what Tarantino said. It's not like the guy is broke or anything and it's definitely not like the film wasn't destined to haul in shitloads of cash, so why make us wait a year? If they had done a Matrix and made the gap a little smaller fair enough, but part 2's ready to go and the're just holding it back to milk as much as they can out the fans.

Edited by - guy_nolan on 10/27/2003 17:18:44
Go to Top of Page

JamesM
= Cult of Ray =

308 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  17:25:42  Show Profile
Style is the new subtance, baby. Empiricism ahoy!

-Jimmy M.
Go to Top of Page

Coldheartofstone
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
2025 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  17:26:34  Show Profile  Click to see Coldheartofstone's MSN Messenger address
if only the day would come when substance becomes the style...

My daddy was a bank robber, but he never hurt nobody...
Go to Top of Page

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  17:40:55  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Coldheartofstone

if only the day would come when substance becomes the style...

Don't hold your breath bud.

Go to Top of Page

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  17:49:33  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Coldheartofstone

im not saying.."my god i can't form my own opinion...so tell me if movie good or movie bad!" im just asking... i mean is it good enough to waste 15 bucks on it, or should i go and buy beer...

I've only just noticed this post. Jesus christ! is a movie really $15 in your neck of the woods??? That's nearly £10 or something right? For that sort of money I'd want hand relief from the Usherette, heated-massage seats and Tarantino waiting outside to personally sign my ticket stub. In the cinema where I used to work, on many occasions we'd be screening films to an audience of maybe 2 people (towards the end of the run) and it was still only £4.

Go to Top of Page

Coldheartofstone
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
2025 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  17:56:39  Show Profile  Click to see Coldheartofstone's MSN Messenger address
yeh...it fuckin suck man... your not really paying for the enjoyment of the movie.. your paying for all the damn ads that your are forced to watch and the fancy schmancy crap outside the theatre... all those damn star wars replicant crap... so yeh needless to say... unless its well worth it, i just buy beer...

My daddy was a bank robber, but he never hurt nobody...
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  18:02:20  Show Profile
style is substance. or it can be, if it's done well.. i think the "all style and no substance" critique is thrown around too freely. there are films that deserve it.. and this might be one of them.. but i don't think so. with a film like this, it really is all about style.. it's a film about other films, with endless references and stylized quotations..

i was semi-disappointed by it too, but that's a different story. i just don't think it's fair to accuse a film of being all style, that's really not trying to be much else. this whole film is kind of just a fun fluff piece anyway..

i think for what it was, and what it was trying to be, it was pretty impressive. but no, it didn't have all the things i'd hope for from a Tarantino film.

by the way, for the record, Tarantino did write the script for JACKIE BROWN.. even though it was adapted..

mijn vriendin kan geen orgasme krijgen
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  22:00:44  Show Profile
I had a couple passes I had to use before they expired, so "Kill Bill" didn't cost me a dime. :o)

My wife and I had a good laugh over the number of advertisements before the movie. Around here, there used to just be an LA Times ad and that was it. Now there are at least 3 or 4 commercials and about 5 trailers. From now on I'll plan on arriving 10 minutes late, which should mean I only have to sit through a couple trailers.
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  00:04:09  Show Profile
Did anyone else see Tarantino drunk off his ass on Jay Leno the day before KB came out? QT was fucked up. He had a pPimp outfit on with a black cane (edit) with a silver horse on the tip of it. He was fully decked out in Snoop quality Pimp materila.

Alright, fuck it
I'm gonna smoke another bowl, listen to some comedy and pass it. Long live FB.net

Uh...

I haven't seen the scenes yet, but there has been mucho hype about this movie on this site and elsewhere, TV etc' Billboards crashing down...

QT was piss drunk on NBC. For the fuck of it. Just liek Tom green. I am happy to have seen it.

Anyone else see that show???

-------------------------
ain't it funny how the goes

Edited by - Little Black Francis on 10/28/2003 00:05:24
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  00:08:02  Show Profile
Is Leno on NBC? Did you just ask the same thing twice?

I didn't see it though I would have loved to. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for a rerun.

Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  00:20:57  Show Profile
I've said it before and sadly I'll say it again:

i agree with Bill Hicks, Leno is a slack-jawed sell-out. traitor fuck-head. :)

Just like amy other commercial.

LBF is esoteric, and people think sucks because of that, I am almost my real life self on this site.

Goodbye.

-------------------------
ain't it funny how the goes
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  06:13:44  Show Profile
Kill Bill is a truly GREAT movie. And it's not just style, though the style does drip off the screen. There's more to life than plot. I mean puh-lease. Just because there's very little plot doesn't mean there's no depth to this movie. It's all about the emotions, you see. That's what separates kill bill from almost every other "action" movie. Tarantino knows how to push buttons to make us feel. He disturbs us alot of the time but he also makes us deeply care for Uma and hope like hell she gets her revenge. There's even alot of depth of emotion with the enemy characters. Like when the little girl comes home while her mom is knife-fighting. And like the entire chapter done in anime of Lucy Liu’s character. Powerful stuff. So just because this one doesn’t work as well to sit back and analyze as does a plot-heavy movie like Pulp Fiction does, does not make it a lesser movie. Two totally different beasts. And really who gives a shit about analyzing anyway, isn’t the point of the movie to watch and enjoy?
Go to Top of Page

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  06:47:39  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address
It's very difficult in a situation like this to lose sight of my point and outright condemn the movie because this is semi debate siuation. But you know I never said Kill Bill was an awful film, it's just not a amazing one. The original question asked in this thread was if the movie was worth a $15 dollar ticket price. I personally think no, just my opinion. I'd definitely buy beer instead. Maybe it's cause I was expecting so much from this movie, and came out thinking "Matchstick men was better". I know there both totally different types of movies, but seeing as they're both watched in a darkened room with popcorn and they're both coming to DVD next year (I assume) I think that's close enough for a general comparison. I don't want to say too much more before volume 2 as I do think the butchered editing of the original Kill Bill may have been one of the main reasons this movie didn't work for me. As for the emotional depth of the characters, you and I have a very different idea of emotion my friend :) The Shawshank redemption had emotional characters, in fact I'd probably say that Max Payne (video game but what the fuck) had a deeper sense of emotion than the protagonists in this film. It was comic book to the last, not that that's a bad thing neccessarily if there's a realy cool plot or excellent dialogue e.t.c but I honestly think this movie lacked nearly any of that. What it did it did well I admit, the fight scenes were excellently choreographed, the claret flowed in abundance and Ms Thurman looked sexy in her Bruce Lee jumpsuit. I still left the cinema thinking "so what?". I mean it when I say I honestly wish I was in you're position Bartholomew as I would have loved to love this movie. But I didn't. Oh well, fingers crossed for part 2.

For ten thousand years he slept, his mind feeding on the nightmares of the weak. Now he has awakened. As the night turned crimson, the fire-blade shattered and his power died. Then, the slaughter began...
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  07:11:25  Show Profile
I guess what doesn’t make sense to me is how you said you left the theatre going “wow” and then upon further reflection decided you were conned. Sounds like you liked it, but since it didn’t fit neatly into your pre-established criteria of what makes a good movie, you ultimately decided you weren’t allowed to like it. Seems to me an initial reaction is more true than an over-analyzed one.
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  07:19:52  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
Hey dudes,

All your grandiose patois aside, this movie rocked the casbah. It was F-U-N and that's a fact jack.

C'mon! I'm serious. Is it worth a ticket price....are rides at a carnival worth it! YES.

This was a CARNE-val of a movie.

Pussy Wagon???? C'mon it was FUN.

Don't over analyze it.
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  07:39:21  Show Profile
Heh-heh. he said”rocked”. heh-heh. fire. Fun is right, man. F is for fun. F is for Fucking A.

Debate that!
Go to Top of Page

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  07:42:11  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address
yeah your right, sorry I contradicted myself there, I did leave the theatre thinking wow. The 'So what' I guess didn't come until about an hour or 2 later. There's no right or wrong in this situation anyway, as I've said before it's all personal opinion. If your the type of guy who goes to a movie for the pop corn, sprite and special effects then that's cool, I totally respect that. I do tend to take films a little more seriously, maybe that's a bad thing, who knows? I see cinema as a form of art, and while this film was in a cinematic sense excellently crafted in terms of camera angles, choreography and possibly score, it ultimately lacked what I would attribute to great movies. As for a pre set criteria, I wouldn't say I neccessarily have one, no scratch that, when I go to see a Tarantino movie I expect to be blown away and I expect that feeling to last at least a couple of days. The first time I saw Eraserhead I hated it, but the images and atmosphere stuck in my mind enough for me to dare a second viewing. I now own the video of that film and have watched it a bunch of times. With Kill Bill it was the opposite, my intiaial reaction soon faded and I have no desire to see it again. Usually I wouldn't devote so much time and effort to talking about a single movie, but this was a Tarantino movie so it deserves disscussion. As for me not being allowed to like it, I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. I just can't get into movies that are such a case of style over content.

For ten thousand years he slept, his mind feeding on the nightmares of the weak. Now he has awakened. As the night turned crimson, the fire-blade shattered and his power died. Then, the slaughter began...
Go to Top of Page

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  07:46:47  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address
Yeah swimmer it was fun but I could have bought a Kineder Surprise egg and had just as much fun eating the chocolate and assembling the plastic Daffy Duck (with stickers for eyes!) and saved myself a few quid in the process. With hindsight I would have happily waited four years for it to appear on terrestrial TV. The film didn't even pass my dancing stage test. :(

Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  09:30:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bartholomew

I guess what doesn’t make sense to me is how you said you left the theatre going “wow” and then upon further reflection decided you were conned. Sounds like you liked it, but since it didn’t fit neatly into your pre-established criteria of what makes a good movie, you ultimately decided you weren’t allowed to like it. Seems to me an initial reaction is more true than an over-analyzed one.

I don't think that's always true. I was one of the dumb bastards that was taken with Titanic. It was so grand it just swept me away. Then when I had to digest it and think about it away from its mesmerizing visuals I realized it was a piece of shit. Anyone else think that movie would have been 20x better if it had just been a love story on a boat that happened to sink and NOT called Titanic?

Go to Top of Page

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  09:37:13  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address
Yeah the movie would have been better that way but I sincerely doubt it would have made as much money, and working with the Titanic legend they also had a blue print for the non-love story part of the film.

Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  11:58:51  Show Profile
Aha! If it's a visual thing then I can see how we can differ. I am not a visual person. I am the emotional and philosophical type. I cannot under any circumstances enjoy a film based solely or mostly or whatever-ly on visuals. Star Wars is lame to me. Jurassic Park mediocre. Thusly, I've never said "wow" and not agreed with the assesment later. So now I understand that part of your thinking at least... Maybe your not completely crazy after all. Only kidding.
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  13:27:08  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
Well, some movies I am a popcorn special effects guy, some I am an arty twat movie watching guy. I have both sides in me.

I guess I knew what NOT to expect with Killbill.

By the way...get it...Kill Bill.

Like as in Bill...what's on the Bill at the movies tonight ...it's a Kill Bill

Perfectly popcorn.
Go to Top of Page

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  14:11:14  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address
I think Star Wars and Juarissic Park are pretty lame too :)

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  14:11:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bartholomew

Aha! If it's a visual thing then I can see how we can differ. I am not a visual person. I am the emotional and philosophical type. I cannot under any circumstances enjoy a film based solely or mostly or whatever-ly on visuals. Star Wars is lame to me. Jurassic Park mediocre. Thusly, I've never said "wow" and not agreed with the assesment later. So now I understand that part of your thinking at least... Maybe your not completely crazy after all. Only kidding.

i can enjoy a film on a purely visual level.. and i don't mean special effects and explosions but good cinematography. composition, lighting, editing etc..

film is a visual medium..

people always talk about "story" and "theme" when they talk about films, but if you want to talk about the art of filmmaking, you have to discuss it on a visual level.. (just to sound really pretentious here).. no stories are new. but they can be presented in fresh ways.

no, a film that is just visually stunning isn't enough. but i do appreciate a well-shot film.

anything by Wong Kar-Wai for example. whether the story drags or not, his visuals (with cinematographer Christopher Doyle) are so amazing.. it makes the whole thing worthwhile..

ideally, a film should be able to express what it's saying visually, is all i'm saying.

mijn vriendin kan geen orgasme krijgen
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000