Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  14:16:51  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address
Is wong Kar Wi that Chinese director who did that film about the Chinese army looking for patriotic songs to use in their battle against the Japanese? If so I think I know who your talking about. As part of the film course I'm on we had to watch a full days worth of chinese melodramas and that was one of them. We watched another cool one about this courier call mardar who was looking for his girlfriend who was now working as a mermaid swimming around a big tank in some Japanese bar. It was pretty cool, quite short but good non the less

For ten thousand years he slept, his mind feeding on the nightmares of the weak. Now he has awakened. As the night turned crimson, the fire-blade shattered and his power died. Then, the slaughter began...
Go to Top of Page

oddity
- FB Fan -

Brazil
26 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  17:27:27  Show Profile
Okay, now I haven't seen KB, but...

I heard there's gonna be a Pulp Fiction sequel, is this fuckin' true?!
Oh, and shouldn't FB do a track for it??

"sweet potatoes growing all around"

P.S.: yeah, my quotes ALWAYS change...
Go to Top of Page

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  07:54:00  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address
Well the Pulp Fiction sequel rumour has a littletruth in it I think. Tarantino had talked about doing a movie called 'The Vega Brother's' which was planned as a prequel to Pulp. The movie was going to be about Vic from Res Dogs and Vincent from Pulp as brothers running a hash bar in Amsterdam. Whether or not it will get made is a different story altogether. After Kill Bill Volume 2 I think Tarantino's next project will be a world war 2 flick called 'The Glorius Bastards' as he said in an interview he's already finished the screenplay for that and has it shelved for future use. There was also talk at one stage of QT directnig a Bond film!!! But the guys who own the Bond license said they didn't want it taken in too violent a direction, as it's the only franchise they own. As for a Frank Black track being used for the score of the Pulp prequel, I'd love that too but somehow I don't think it will happen. QT's music tastes are really retro, but you never know. Stranger things have happened :)

For ten thousand years he slept, his mind feeding on the nightmares of the weak. Now he has awakened. As the night turned crimson, the fire-blade shattered and his power died. Then, the slaughter began...
Go to Top of Page

bedrock_barney
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
871 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  09:37:56  Show Profile
Haven't seen Kill Bill yet but I am almost anticipating disappointment. There are very few good movie releases these days. Hype seems to rule the roost. I thought the second Matrix film was a major let down, to the extent that I became very bored and considered leaving the theatre.

I will go to see it and I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  09:40:31  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
I will probably wait to see Kill Bill on video, as I expect to be disappointed as well - I feel like Tarantino has sold out, from recent interviews I've seen and reviews I've read of this movie. I'm looking forward to a few movies, (there is still hope barney :) ), one of which is Bubba Hotep.
Go to Top of Page

bedrock_barney
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
871 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  09:55:35  Show Profile
Don't know anything about Bubba Hotep - good title though!

Enjoyed 'Lost in La Mancha' but that was more of a documentary. 'The Life of David Gale' was ok. Best film I've seen in a long time was 'Rabbit proof fence'. Did that get shown in the US?
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  10:25:11  Show Profile
Sold out?? I can understand that but only if you think he's always been a sell out.

"I joined the Cult of Popeye / The CoF required my good eye"
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  10:33:08  Show Profile
i don't understand how you can expect every film from a director to be mind-blowing. all of my favorite directors at least have one or two mediocre films, if not a few shitty films..

i totally agree with bedrock though re: not a lot of good movies as of late..

mijn vriendin kan geen orgasme krijgen
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  10:42:34  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
"i don't understand how you can expect every film from a director to be mind-blowing. all of my favorite directors at least have one or two mediocre films, if not a few shitty films.."
-You have a good point, floop.

"Sold out?? I can understand that but only if you think he's always been a sell out."
- Yeah, scutor, I admit I should withold my opinions on that until I've seen the film - you can't judge a director or his movie from clips and reviews. It just seems so close to the formula blockbusters coming out lately, like "Charlie's Angels", and a little bit like a rip-off of "Crouching Tiger..." and "the Matrix" fight scenes - I'm just sick of those being rehashed...OK, I'll shut up now.
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  10:48:36  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by apl4eris

It just seems so close to the formula blockbusters coming out lately, like "Charlie's Angels", and a little bit like a rip-off of "Crouching Tiger..." and "the Matrix" fight scenes - I'm just sick of those being rehashed...OK, I'll shut up now.

It's not even close to being a rip off of those. Just see it, then give us your nickel's worth.
Go to Top of Page

oddity
- FB Fan -

Brazil
26 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  18:18:04  Show Profile
Hey Guy, thanks for the info about those rumours... My girlfriend said something about it and it was starting to freak me out, like if I was going to go on heroin again, you know. Heh.. Just kidding. Appreciate your help. Peace.
Go to Top of Page

bflat
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  07:50:20  Show Profile
I watched it and it's OK if you like Kung Fu movies because that's what it is in essence. It has it's moments but it's no Pulp Fiction.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2003 :  17:35:13  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
I can finally contribute to this thread because I just watched it.
I think my opinion seems to be an average of the rest of the forum's, i.e. its very good, but not up there with Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs. Lets be honest, it would have to be pretty stunning for that.

I did enjoy it very much, though: its an entertaining way to spend a couple of hours on a Saturday night.
I missed the Tarantino-esque dialogue, although I heard Vol.2 will contain much more of this. The only time this surfaced was in the bar in Okinawa, and the scene was much too short. The action on the whole, however, was well orchestrated and pretty cool to watch. The blood fountains were kind of ace, and the animated part was done very well. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Manga movies enough to be able to compare.
My friend said to me that it wasn't nearly as shocking as it could have been, although all the preceding hype bigged up the violence. I'd have to agree with him, although there were parts which caused minor flutters of consternation... the best of these was actually at the very start, the black and white scene where the Bride is on the floor.
I also enjoyed the Japanese restaraunt scene with the Crazy 88 etc.
Then again, I'm not easily shocked - I tend to be able to discern reality from movies. Hence Man Bites Dog, Exorcist etc don't worry me overly, the only thing thats ever mildly distrubed me is Eraserhead.

I'd like to be able to quote some obscure Japanese film makers here, but the only thing the style reminded me of was John Woo, in films like Face/Off.
Then again, maybe I'm an idiot.

"I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000