Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  22:00:04  Show Profile
Which do you prefer? I don't think there's really any question about which is better; it's like Elvis v.s. The Beatles but you can prefer one over the other.

Because I own so much Star wars stuff my mother would argue with me that I like SW more but I maintain that I know myself a bit better and that Star Trek is really far superior.

I'm going for a walk now and I expect to see some heated debate over this when I come back.

Semper ubi sub ubi.

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  22:09:10  Show Profile
I'd have to go with Star Trek, because that's the one I find myself knowing the most useless trivia about, although I know my fair share of Star Wars as well. I don't much like George Lucas' pretentious way of marketing his movies, as if they are the be-all end-all of filmmaking masterpieces. (Like, scheduling trailers for the next movie as though everyone in the world is wetting their pants in anticipation.) Yeah, I'll go see it, but there's alot of movies I'm more anxiously awaiting. (Return of the King being one exception.)

Yet, Star Trek does have a certain level of profound nerdiness that Star Wars lacks, which I don't like. I also don't like all the different series' generic aliens, usually they look like it's a budget-saving ploy, just to have the "Bjorns" who simply wear funky earrings and have the little furrows on their nose bridges, for instance. (If aliens do exist, it is likely that they look very different from us.)

But, Star Trek is definitely the one I prefer, personally.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  23:29:22  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Star Wars for more reasons than I care to list. I don't dare get into a debate about something that is this close to my essence.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5454 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  23:32:13  Show Profile
Well, they have both been shooting themselves in the foot for the past few years (bad movies, bas shoes). I never really gave Voyager a chance and I haven't watched much of Enterprise. I enjoyed TNG and Deep Space Nine. The quality was really variable, but often enough they came up some great ideas and shows.

Star Wars, to me, is all eye candy. I loved the original three (well at least the first two) and even the latest movies are worth seeing. But, there really isn't much science fiction in them (I guess they might be better viewed as fantasy).

So, I would give rank ST over SW.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  23:39:33  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Thank-you Darwin. People always look at me cross-eyed when I say that a movie with the word 'star' in the astral sense is not science fiction. There is little science. It's a fantasy/western set in space. You may have made my night.

Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  02:56:41  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Funny how people can accept the Bible with gusto, but SW loses them..heh..

I'd say i prefer ST. It hasn't been 'ruined' for me, i'm a bit of a late-comer, i didn't watch a lot of TNG, but really enjoyed DS9 and liked VOY as well. With Enterprise i only recall one great episode in the last year (the one with the co-geniter<sp>) but i have yet to feel entirely nauseous while watching an episode..

Considering that there's so much MORE ST out there, i'd say it kicks SW's hiney. Imagine if there were.. *shudder*
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  03:08:22  Show Profile
you have a choice to watch a bunch of people in bad make-up sit in one room wearing spandex and lazily talk to each other while some 'being' travels from body to body......
or watch star wars.

it's funny these two are always subject for debate to people....
star trek was an episodic tv show in the 60's and star wars was a single film in 1977. why are they compared to each other and debated as to which is better? i don't see too many similarities that make me wonder.....
it's kinda like seinfeld vs. friends.......
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  06:56:24  Show Profile
noexx, I compared them only because they are so often compared (though you're right, they are very different) and because they each have such a huge fan base.

As for ST being a show of the 60's and SW being one movie from the 70's . . . there were Five ST series and will be 6 SW movies. They're both still going on and I like to see what kind of person you might be by asking this question.

When I speak of ST I'm usually thinking about The Next Generation though I love the Classic eps. DS9 was pretty goo from what I've seen but Voyager sucked, it was way too soap opra-y. Enterprise had potential but fell short of it by a distance.

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Go to Top of Page

steveplymouthuk
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  07:00:10  Show Profile  Visit steveplymouthuk's Homepage
Star Wars for me- trek just doesn't hold my attention!
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  08:31:20  Show Profile
Star Trek (original series only).

"I phoned the Cult of Abe / for one score and fifteen cents "
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  10:02:05  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
star wars by far

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  10:39:17  Show Profile
Star Wars all the way.

They probably get compared so often because they both start with "star," and "wars" and "trek" both have 4 letters. Also they are both space-oriented. I bet if they were called "Space Wars" and "Planet Trek" they wouldn't be put side by side as often.

"Join the Cult of Mr. Potato Head / And You'll Have Buckets of Fun"

Edited by - ProverbialCereal on 10/16/2003 10:41:37
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  11:04:06  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Can I say both?
G. Roddenberry had some incredible ideas about future developements in technology (arguably almost as influential as A. C. Clark, although granted he didn't invent the satellite ;), and raised/imagined/addressed some very important moral issues and logistical quandaries - he was an incredible visionary. As far as the shows go, I liked the original show, but Next Gen. had its good points too - I just thought it devolved into some silly soap opera tactics too often for its somewhat stilted posture. I didn't watch the further spin-offs.

Star Wars was an incredible vision as well, but was set up more as a futuristic "Odyssey", with a sideline of morality and an overriding philosophy that is not questioned, just struggled with by the main character (unlike Star Trek, which questioned ethics and motives nearly every week). I did not see the new movies - I just didn't want to see the trilogy changed from its earlier gestalt - I saw it in the theaters when it first came out, I grew up with it and loved it.
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  11:23:18  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
I'll skip the pseudo-intellectualism and just say Satr Wars cuz it's got cool lightsabers and the stormtroopers outfits are bad ass.
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  11:27:48  Show Profile
I'd have to agree that the coolness factor of SW wins out over Star Trek. All the spaceships and weapons and armor and the like was very well-designed. (Boba and Jango Fett's costumes, for example, and the AT-AT Walkers are awesome.)
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  11:39:33  Show Profile
Of course you can say both. I'm actually waiting to hear someone say that Hate both as that was expected too.

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  11:40:06  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by glacial906

I'd have to agree that the coolness factor of SW wins out over Star Trek. All the spaceships and weapons and armor and the like was very well-designed. (Boba and Jango Fett's costumes, for example, and the AT-AT Walkers are awesome.)

I'll buy that. You know Han's blaster was just so much cooler than those fucking Johnny Atomic Ray Guns and palm pilots that the ST geeks had.

Of course, it all started to get perverted in the new Trilogy series what with the giant tank things and the japanese looking robot transforming shit.

I liked how the bad guys in the original Star Wars all looked like Nazis.

Nazis are so easy to recognize as BAD.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  11:43:05  Show Profile
Hey remember Battlestar Galactica?
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  11:46:02  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Carolynanna

Hey remember Battlestar Galactica?

Battlestar Galactica's efx were done by the guy who worked on Star Wars and he wan't supposed to be doing it. BG was subsequently sued by Lucasfilm.

I don't know the whole story. It was messy though.

BG was SW for TV, OK?
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  11:50:27  Show Profile
Oh. Ok.

Edited by - Carolynanna on 10/16/2003 11:51:08
Go to Top of Page

blackpurse
= Cult of Ray =

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  12:02:15  Show Profile
Trek all the way. I grew up with Trek. William Shatner is one of my heroes. Just when I was missing trek, TNG came along. I love everything about trek -- especially its own kitsch. Trek gets really lofty, but doesn't take itself TOO seriously -- it laughs at itself and self-references itself.

That doesn't mean I don't like Star Wars. But I love Trek. I love the culture surrounding it, and let's face it kids, SW wouldn't have existed witout Trek. Although Roddenberry admitted in an interview that the success of the first SW movie that provided the impetus for reviving Trek.

"Sacred cows make the best burgers!"
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5454 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  13:05:20  Show Profile
I believe I saw an ad for a new Battlestar Galactica (on Sci Fi?). I love it when bad ideas are revived. Maybe they'll bring back Space 1999 as well.
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  13:14:12  Show Profile
Has anyone here ever seen a MOVIE called "Fantastic Planet?" I'm not trying to tie this into Failure again, but apparently their album was based on a cartoon movie by this name about humans being held as pets by some alien race of giants. It was not very good animation, apparently, but the underlying theme correlated with some Soviet invasion of Czeckoslovakia (sp.) in the sixties.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  14:41:37  Show Profile
MORE nerd posts?
i don't think i can hang out here anymore.
but i will.

"I joined the Cult of Trippy/just pretend that pencil is a joint and the girl has red hair"
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  14:44:34  Show Profile
Yeah, I was a closet nerd when I was seventeen, too. Heh.
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  14:51:09  Show Profile
hey!!! i don't have any smart reply right now. damn. i'll try and think of one. in the meantime, have a free joint(i'm so goin to have more member than dean! i mean, car will. ahem.)

"I joined the Cult of Trippy/just pretend that pencil is a joint and the girl has red hair"
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  15:00:17  Show Profile
You take your time.
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  15:10:16  Show Profile
What is the Cult of Trippy?

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  15:16:33  Show Profile
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to post pictures, or else I would have played the cult game. I have read the FAQ about it, but whenever I try it always gives me a little symbol, like when you go on a website and their pics are having technical trouble. It gives me a sign that a picture is there, but it will NOT actually post the pic. Carolynanna seems to have similar trouble. I don't know what the fuck I'm doing wrong; if I put the left bracket, img, then the right bracket, then the URL, then the left bracket again, /img, then the right bracket, it should work, right? (Hate to spell it all out, but if I actually put the symbols it will show up like I'm trying to post a pic.)

Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  15:18:56  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Well, try posting a pic and I'll see if I can tell you what the problem is.

Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  15:34:05  Show Profile
Dude, I just tried it again and it worked fine. Hot dammit, but I feel stupid. I dunno what I was doing wrong.

Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  20:02:43  Show Profile
haha, glacial that great. lame but great. Is that from one of the ST computer games?

I just saw a user named Kirk, I wonder if he'll find this thread or if that's just his real name.

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  20:06:23  Show Profile
That's just something I used from Google Image Search to try to show a pic. It was one of the first images I saw. Yes, it is pretty lame.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  21:20:45  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Star Wars, for sure. Much more excitement to it...myth and such. Jedi Powers...the Jedis get your imagination going. Who wouldn't want to be a Jedi? Star Trek...there's too much shit going on in that area. How many fucking movies and different series has Star Trek had so far? Way too many for a casual onlooker to follow, that's for sure. Star Wars can be wrapped up in a neat little package of 6 movies, then there's the "extended universe" for the ubernerds out there.

"I joined the Cult of Clops / If I were you, I'd sleep with one eye open."
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  21:40:18  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Star Wars without a shadow of a doubt.... Star Trek is well boring.

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  23:02:46  Show Profile
how the hell can so many of you smart smart people find Star Trek boring?? I'm def not knocking your preference but to shit such a cold shit on the ST is a horrible thing.

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000