SMYT vinyl arrived today!!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

edward897
- FB Fan -

80 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2003 :  17:38:05  Show Profile
Ordered from Diverse Records. Absolutely beautiful jacket work and the sound is incredible. Nice thick vinyl. The jacket opens up with the lyrics printed inside. Just like the old days you can sit there, listen, and follow along with the lyrics.

Ed

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2003 :  17:45:06  Show Profile
Nice. Relating to a thread in general discussion, do you find the sound to be better than the cd? I said I think SMYT would be great listened to all worn down and crackling on vinyl. Is the artwork exactly the same?
Go to Top of Page

edward897
- FB Fan -

80 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2003 :  18:34:32  Show Profile
I'm not really one of those audiophile snobs but I am of the opinion that vinyl sounds better. There are no pops or crackle on this record, it's pure sound. Vinyl is just a much more full and deep sound. Digital recordings are shallow. I'm using all 1970's vintage Sansui amp, turntable and speakers. The front and back art is the same as the CD. The inside is a big blury VU meter from their tape machine. The meter is pegged all the way to the right, indicating good noise is happening.

Ed
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  01:18:03  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
Got it too! My turntable is actually pretty crappy (I gotta buy a new one), so I couldn't really tell the difference with the CD, but I sure love the artwork. I bought it on vinyl to leave the CD at work and the LP at home.

Denis

"In the Cult of Frank/You don't even get backstage passes"
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  06:30:05  Show Profile
Cool, mine should be there when I get home, along with a shiny new copy of MBV's Loveless (long out of print on vinyl, where it truly shines, especially when worn a bit)...
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  06:31:39  Show Profile
..must...get...vinyl...

strangehairypear

Edited by - blarg007 on 10/08/2003 06:32:19
Go to Top of Page

edward897
- FB Fan -

80 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  15:39:40  Show Profile
You guys should check out www.audiokarma.org for all of your vintage electronic information. Really great site. I collect 1970's stereo gear, it's so much better built than today's black plastic junk. Start hitting those Goodwill Stores, there are treasures out there.

Ed
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  01:06:56  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
Thanks for the link Ed. Believe it or not, two weeks ago I found a turntable in the street. Turned out it works perfectly well. It's a Dual. I eventually gave it to a friend of mine, but I should have kept it, it played better than mine.

Denis

"In the Cult of Frank/You don't even get backstage passes"
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  08:22:47  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
i hear vinyl can sound better if you have good stuff to play it with. i dont though (i dont even have a turntable), but id like to get my favorite albums on vinyl if i did, it just seems to cooler to watch that thing spin then just put the cd in not worry about it.

-miked
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  09:57:09  Show Profile
MUSICHALL makes a great turntable that is probably the most bang for the buck
audiophile wise: 500 bucks (they have one that is cheaper) gets you a pretty
sweet set-up with good sound isolation and a nice Goldring cartridge.
the sound is much nicer than CD -in general- if a CD has good sound and you have
a high dollar CD player than i think there is the potential for better sound CD wise.
-but in the realm of the analog recordings (Like the catholics method) a good
analog playback system would be the best way to hear it.
CDs has well as vinyl can have weak links that take away from good
sound something on vinyl can come from a great original but the pressing could be flawed or wore out.
CD's can have inadequate digital mastering and other strange things
that flatten the sound field. they both reproduce sound:
vinyl relies on reaction to analog information transfer in a pressed
groove. digital reads a stream of info about the music that encircles the disc. the CD problem is that it relies on a lot of diligence to
ensure all the info to make the music sound correct has been carried
thru to finished product AND THEN there is the accuracy of a micro
lens reading a CONSTANT stream of digital info on the disc -and things like light refraction and definitely vibration can disrupt
or distort that info -it gets corrected and on down the line
-so the accuracy and warmth of analog is there mainly because it is a short simple path from source to your hears -digital can be phenomenal but the technology is just now getting nice and as stated
the path has a lot of transfers before hitting the ears.

strangehairdevice

Edited by - blarg007 on 10/09/2003 10:11:35
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  15:17:49  Show Profile
Just because I know for a fact that someone else *will* be nerdy enough to care, here's a crap montage of the vinyl package -- what doesn't come across is how BIG it all is! That massive VU gatefold rules! Death to tiny CD packages!

http://www.hi-toro.com/fp3/misc/smyt.jpg
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000