Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PearlJamaholic
- FB Fan -

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2003 :  04:49:23  Show Profile
We know that Weezer covered Velouria. Since I've been going through a Weezer phase I took a look at The Lion and The Witch cover. Something Stood out on it, well it was coming towards me.

What does this Cat mean? Two album covers it must be more then a cool statue than again maybe not.

gary13th
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
632 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2003 :  07:05:32  Show Profile  Visit gary13th's Homepage  Click to see gary13th's MSN Messenger address
crikey, i see what you mean. very similar to SMYT. a strange coincidence ?

They are about, dressed to deceive, architect David Vincent
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2003 :  09:03:22  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
Spend five minutes in any Chinatown in any metropolitan area and you will see at least a hundred of these glazed pottery kitties in nearly every store window on every block. They are to Chinatown what miniature Statue of Liberty's are to Times Square.

"Join the Cult of Clootie / and you'll get more booty!" www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2003 :  09:20:55  Show Profile
Wow, that is weird. I never got that damn Lion and the Witch ep; probably not worth it though. How many Weezer/Frank ties are there? I know he just said he liked Weezer's cover in an MTV2 interview.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2003 :  11:21:19  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
weezer was heavy influenced by the pixies

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page

gracie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
573 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2003 :  11:45:39  Show Profile
I have seen a gold FB cat and it was suppose to be a good luck charm, i don't know if the white one's are though.
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2003 :  11:53:17  Show Profile
didn't rivers cuomo say he studied nirvana songs intensely?

doo doo doo...
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2003 :  14:03:03  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
yes he did

but cuomo also says he frequently visits whores when he's on tour
and that is AR man (or whatever they are called) chooses the songs that go on the weezer records, because he doesn't care.

he's a sick man

but I love him

Go to Top of Page

Kozaru
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2003 :  23:03:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by PearlJamaholic

We know that Weezer covered Velouria. Since I've been going through a Weezer phase I took a look at The Lion and The Witch cover. Something Stood out on it, well it was coming towards me.

What does this Cat mean? Two album covers it must be more then a cool statue than again maybe not.

It's called a "Maneki neko". It welcomes good fortune and money. The first yellow banner on the left of the CD cover says, "Lion and Witch" in Japanese.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  02:53:04  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
I think FB's cat is prettier

Go to Top of Page

Kingmob999
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  04:50:28  Show Profile
weezer sucks. (after pinkerton)
Go to Top of Page

PearlJamaholic
- FB Fan -

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  05:43:19  Show Profile
Rivers has writen some good stuff since Pinkerton. Maybe hasnt released it. Check out Queen of Earth thats a great song. Then again its all good as far as im concerned. And Kozaru thanks for the info.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  08:06:17  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
I thought the green album sucked hard except for the 2 singles, but Maladroit was definitely a good album.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / Did anyone else have to give up their first born?"
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  08:24:36  Show Profile
I think Rivers Cuomo is actually trying to create the image that he's fucked up, I think he's dying to be a rock n roll eccentric. I mean, he claims to write so many songs, but he never backs this up (GBV anyone?). However, once could argue that the fact he wants to appeared fucked up makes him fucked up. "People pride themselves on their diseases"--Dostoevsky
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  09:00:45  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
well itchload
he does write many songs
there are lot's of mp3 for album 4 and scrapped demo's for album 5
there were like 13 tracks on maladroit, but there were certainly
40 songs that they demoed that year

although he's not robert pollard
he writes much

Go to Top of Page

FranknWeezer
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  09:21:55  Show Profile
I like the Weez. Wish they would get their shit together and stop listening to the fans, though.
BTW, I wish I could link the thread I started here the day the SMYT art was released...I pointed out that it used the kitty from "The Lion and the Witch." Search link isn't working for me though.
So send me all your royalties for the props you got on this thread;)

-FranknWeezer
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  09:23:27  Show Profile
I agree, I think the blue album was the best (yes even better than Pinkerton.)
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  09:53:01  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
I have high hopes for album 5
green wasn't my cup of tea (fuck punkpop)
but maladroit was alright actually

this album 5 seems to be very personal according to Rick Rubin
so I'm hoping for another pinkerton
maybe even an acoustic one (their site is filled with mysterious photos of weezer playing acoustic)

Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  10:12:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Brackish Girl

didn't rivers cuomo say he studied nirvana songs intensely?

doo doo doo...

weezer and nirvana both had demo cuts on an early geffen compilation
(weezers was a rare live cut and nirvanas was an alternate 'pay to play')although i think 'bleach' was out so i don't know i had the impression that they kind of came up and around at the same time.

strangehairymice

Edited by - blarg007 on 10/08/2003 10:12:39
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  11:16:21  Show Profile
Weezer's song was "Jamie." Cool song.

I'm thinking album 5 will be really good because they aren't rushing it like they did with Maladroit. And I definitely agree that Rivers shouldn't listen to the fans (especially emo kids). For Maladroit it seems like they released the demos and the fans practically voted on which would make the album.

"I joined the Incredible Cult of Frank / Then I got pissed and turned green"
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  11:50:24  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
I just haven't been able to get into anything since Pinkerton.

Rivers is a truly weird dude. I had a socially awkward backstage interaction with him once. He came up to me and said, "Hey, weren't you our waitress earlier today?" "Um, no." "Are you sure?" "Yep. Not a waitress." Then he calls someone else over to confirm for him and seems truly baffled. The other person is like, "Nope, not her." He says, "Oh. . ." "Sorry. I guess I must just have that service industry look about me." He continued to look perplexed and I finally backed away. 10-to-1 that guy has Asperger's syndrome.

It was an awesome show, though.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / And all I got was this lousy icon"

Edited by - mereubu on 10/08/2003 11:51:44
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  12:40:56  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
that's a great story mereubu

I would love to meet him or even see him play

I've seen almost all my heroes: FB, Robert Pollard, Kristin Hersh, Kim Deal, Nada Surf (not a person exactly, and I will see Brian Wilson next year (SMILE EVERYBODY!) and Lou Barlow this month. Rivers Cuomo sticks out as a sore thumb....

I missed their last dutch concert because I had to study. DANG!

Go to Top of Page

Coldheartofstone
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
2025 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  12:52:41  Show Profile  Click to see Coldheartofstone's MSN Messenger address
never EVER miss a concert to study....

buenos tardes amigos...
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  14:29:09  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
About the Rivers studying Nirvana...

Yeah, he has broken down all of the songs that Nirvana and Oasis did. He's "trying to find their formula" so he can create the "perfect rock song". haha. He sure is one fucked up guy, though. Pat rocks, though. You can't deny it.

I don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  14:49:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Itchload

I think Rivers Cuomo is actually trying to create the image that he's fucked up, I think he's dying to be a rock n roll eccentric. I mean, he claims to write so many songs, but he never backs this up (GBV anyone?). However, once could argue that the fact he wants to appeared fucked up makes him fucked up. "People pride themselves on their diseases"--Dostoevsky

Itchload, you're right on with that. I can't tell you how many times I've used the same argument. He's also just an asshole. He called me an assmunch on his private message board just before I was blocked. He was threatening to stop playing anything off the Blue album when he'd already done away with Pinkerton. Now I understand that a particular song could be too painful to play but you can't deny the fans all the songs you practically begged them to love, they did love and wich helped made you famous.

It's different w/ Frank. I don't expect him to play any Pixies; it's a different band and that's that but if Frank all of a sudden refused to play any of the material on his other records I'd say he was a shmuck too.

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  15:27:25  Show Profile
i just sold the blue album to my friend.
i really need money. anyone wanna send me some?

doo doo doo...
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  15:37:42  Show Profile
Well actually he did start to bring Pinkerton songs back onto the setlist. The album that started this thread has live versions of "El Scorcho" and "Falling for You" (maybe others off Pinkerton). I guess I never complain because after they released Pinkerton I saw them live (in 1996) and they played every song off it.

And can you really say Rivers is an asshole? If you haven't sat down and had a cup of tea with him, I don't think you have much validation in your argument. He might be a little weird, but if it makes his music better that's fine with me (as long as album 5 is better than the last 2 albums).

Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  17:07:54  Show Profile
It doesn't make his music better and yes I am qualified to say he's an asshole. I was in correspondence with him for a while along with other fans. He and all the people who ran that board were jerks. I state this with absolute confidence in its validity. Go ahead, visit the boards and try to get the password. See how far you get and if you do manage to get it you'll soon see what I mean. I don't care that he eventually brought some songs back, the fact is he shit all over everyone for a really long time - him and the entire band.

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  17:52:22  Show Profile
Ok, so you can call him an asshole.

So what is this password? Is it like a secret part of the board where certain people can talk with Weezer members? I never joined that message board. It seems stupid.

Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  18:20:26  Show Profile
I saw them twice before the Green Album came out. Good show, but each show was the exact same, and the songs were basically the same as the album versions. They played most of the Blue album, two Pinkerton songs, and a coupla new ones.

Pinkerton is my favorite Weezer album. I think deep down Rivers believes it to be their best, and again, it's just a front when he calls it "sick" in interviews. I mean, here's a guy influenced by the Pixies. The lyrics/production on Pinkerton, while very sex/obsession oriented, are not nearly as twisted as the album Surfer Rosa. I mean, there's a difference between liking Japanese girls and having a child with your sister, who in turn, becomes your favorite lover. I know there was band tension at the time as well, with the lack of clever videos and the bassist leaving, so it might leave a bad taste in his mouth, but when he calls it a failure, you know he's just doing it so his fans will be like "no Rivers! You don't understand, it's brilliant...oh why doesn't Rivers realize what the genius he truly is!" I got ya number Rivers!!
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  21:06:09  Show Profile
Pinkerton sucks.
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  21:23:20  Show Profile
ProverbialC, I don't remember the password - I'm actually not sure if there was a password or if you were just granted access - no wait there WAS a password for some time. Luckily I tore myself away from those boards. They are, indeed, stupid and I don't recommend joining them. They're all elistist pr^$#s. There are two boards, the official website one and the ezboard fan created one. The Rivers Correspondence board was through the ezboards. The website one is mostly for new, green album loving peeps.

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Go to Top of Page

WolfManMikeLonely
= Cult of Ray =

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  21:43:26  Show Profile  Visit WolfManMikeLonely's Homepage
I have nothing to back it up but there are just certain frontment that have always came off as being complete dicks to me. Rivers and Billy Corgan are at the top of the list. Just the impression I get from them.

"Hey fuck you if you don't like it."
-Johnny Thunders
Go to Top of Page

PearlJamaholic
- FB Fan -

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  23:29:07  Show Profile
if your talking about riverscuomo.com its been down for a long time now and you really didnt need a password. all it was was a history like thing. When he had is first guitar lesson and pointless stuff. Then every once in awhile he would release a home demo on it which you good get from just about any weezer fan site. It seemed like a thing that long time fans of weezer could wave over the newbies heads. And it worked because they really didnt know what was it. I believe Rivers is a good guy call him a asshole or whatever but name a band that makes a album the fans wanted. He even took us step by step through the process of the songs. Even if most Weezer fans dont like the album it was neat when it was happening.You'd wake up go to the site karl would post few songs that they worked on the day before. Rivers does listen to the fans which i think is cool maybe doesnt do every thing they say but still listens. When i saw them in philly after the green album they played Tired of Sex off Pinkerton. The only Pinkerton song they played for awhile. Then with enough fans complaining by the time i saw them in camden They played 5 songs from Pinkerton. Not to really turn the table around but i was at the breeders board and someone said that Frank doesnt do autographs. I dont know if this is true but as you can see just about anybody can be a asshole in someones eyes even if aint true.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  00:29:04  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
on the last tour he used a dungeon and dragens cube or something
to see which songs they were gonna play

every night another setlist

I think that was cool

He seems to be cool with Pinkerton nowadays
He really should ditch the green album

Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  08:29:23  Show Profile
Did someone already say what the cat means?
Because yesterday I was at Edo orderin up some Sukiyaki beef and lo and behold they have the cat statue. So I asked the guy what does it mean and he said......
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000