Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2003 :  13:43:33  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
SHOW ME YOUR TEARS

Frank Black and the Catholics

For a man known for twisted tunes about waves of mutilation and broken faces, Frank Black sure is one reliable worker. Since the 1993 demise of his legendary Pixies, the singer-guitarist has issued nine studio albums, a blistering live set and enough collectors-only ephemera to put the bootleg merchants out of business. And the pace is quickening: Last year, the inveterate workaholic checked in with two cantankerous long-players ("Devil's Workshop" and "Black Letter Days") that easily rank among his post-Pixies best.

Now comes "Show Me Your Tears." Like every album Black has recorded with the Catholics, his backing band since 1998, the disc sounds raw but carefully rehearsed, clearly the product of a battle-tested crew of road warriors. On the loping folk-rocker "My Favorite Kiss," Black even rattles off the itinerary: "In two more weeks I'll be in Dallas-Fort Worth," he offers in a menacing croon. "In one more minute I'll be gone."

Guest musicians flesh out the disc's bare-bones songs. Eric Drew Feldman (of Pere Ubu fame) adds simmering organ to "Jaina Blues," and co-producer Stan Ridgway (of Wall of Voodoo infamy) honks out a harmonica riff on the Stones-derived "Horrible Day." Even the legendary Van Dyke Parks turns up, gracing "Manitoba" with some deftly played accordion.

Rumors of a Pixies reunion are currently flying, and given Black's work ethic, he'll no doubt put in overtime to make it happen. Afterward, though, here's hoping the guy takes a well-earned break -- he's giving the rock-and-roll lifestyle a good name.

-- Shannon Zimmerman

"I joined the Cult of Frank / And all I got was this lousy icon"

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2003 :  16:51:54  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Frank Black..working man..pretty funny. No doubt he'll be working to make it happen!

haha

The Cult of Frank - Your Metaphysical Diaper
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000