New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sir Rockabye
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  14:10:46  Show Profile  Visit Sir Rockabye's Homepage
While reading through other forums, I noticed that someone mentioned that Frank and Steve Malkmus (the ex-front man from Pavement, and currently The Jicks) once worked together on a song. Is there any truth to this, and if so, where can I get my hands on a copy? I'm a huge fan of both men and would be curious to hear how they work together. If this has been adressed elsewhere, all of my apologies.

"How many stars girl, can you both count, and then classify?"

Sir Rockabye
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  14:11:29  Show Profile  Visit Sir Rockabye's Homepage
Sorry, I did not spell Stephen right in my last post.

Edited by - Sir Rockabye on 09/17/2003 14:14:37
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  14:25:13  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage
i think its just a poorly labeled mp3

-brian
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  14:38:02  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Rockabye

While reading through other forums, I noticed that someone mentioned that Frank and Steve Malkmus (the ex-front man from Pavement, and currently The Jicks) once worked together on a song. Is there any truth to this, and if so, where can I get my hands on a copy? I'm a huge fan of both men and would be curious to hear how they work together. If this has been adressed elsewhere, all of my apologies.

I mentioned it,i found it on winmx i think.It could be a mislabeled mp3 but the voice is too similar to FB so i guessed i could ask Frnk Blck about it.If you want it catch me up on soulseek.

"Protect me from what i want"
Go to Top of Page

JamesM
= Cult of Ray =

308 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  18:42:12  Show Profile
They've never worked together on a song. In fact, I believe that Malkmus has indirectly mouthed Black to the press, "I hope my solo career doesn't turn out like Frank Black's," or something to that effect.

What? He's afraid he'll wake up one day and write a good song? I know this is heresey amongst indie music fans, but well, I've recently come to the conclusion that I'm not an indie music fan, so I'll just go ahead and say this: I think Stephen Malkmus and Pavement have blown, are blowing, and will always blow.

Thank you, and good night.

-Jimmy M.
Go to Top of Page

Sir Rockabye
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  19:16:00  Show Profile  Visit Sir Rockabye's Homepage
Eh, I can see eye to eye with you on the solo careers. The Jicks have been a big disappointment so far. Pavement on the other hand is a great band, and shame on you for thinking otherwise.

Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  00:35:40  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
I like Pavement and some of Stephen Malmas's stuff (the first album, not heard Jicks album)... but compared to Frank he is nothing, and lacks consistency. But then again Frank is my fave artist so I would put Frank above any other band / soloist.

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  07:16:06  Show Profile
Malk's solo career has been solid but safe. He's basically playing mid-tempo Pavement songs, just without the occasional noisy chanty Fall ripoff thrown in here and there. Frank took chances!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  07:21:58  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage
i like malkmus - his stuff is just as good as pavement IMHO - but he's no frank

-brian
Go to Top of Page

gracie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
573 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  12:22:33  Show Profile
Malkmus and Pavement are excellent but i very much doubt that they have done a song together.
In fact i'm sure that they are mortal enemies due to the fact that Malkmus had a huge crush on Frank and Frank rejected him because he doesn't fancy skinny men.
Go to Top of Page

Sir Rockabye
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  12:29:31  Show Profile  Visit Sir Rockabye's Homepage
I suppose youre right, he may be no Frank, but he isn't half bad either.

Edited by - Sir Rockabye on 09/18/2003 12:31:44
Go to Top of Page

Dallas
= Cult of Ray =

USA
725 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  12:31:10  Show Profile
I think Pavement is a great band. Malkmus is real talented, but, not close to being as prolific or polished a performer or songwriter as FB.

Frank Black is the New Millenia Hardest Working Man in Show-bid-ness! No bullshit, I picture FB in the studio wearing overalls with his name sewn into the front. The man came to WORK!

Go to Top of Page

leokearse
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
203 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  09:30:39  Show Profile  Visit leokearse's Homepage
Malky ain't fit to shine Frank's shoes.

- Leo
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  14:54:03  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
I love malkmus
but FB is way and way better

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
383 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  15:10:09  Show Profile
yeah but hey c'mon, they both live in portland now, so it's only a matter of time.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  18:46:48  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
I wonder how this convo would go on a Malkmus fansite? ;)
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  20:14:31  Show Profile
I think there is no truth to that (the original topic)... from what Steve West, the drummer of Pavement, my neighbor, has told me.

-------------------------
ain't it funny how the goes
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  01:08:11  Show Profile
It wouldn't surprise me if Frank Black hasn't even HEARD OF Steve Malkmus.

JamesM is my new friend. Pavement never did anything for me either.
Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  08:22:36  Show Profile
I thought I read once where Stephen M. once approached Frank backstage at a festival and Frank responded with "Fuck off. Can't you see I'm talking to my brother?"

Don't know if that's true or how it would affect them working together. Just sounds as if Frank didn't know who he was or recognized him.
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  09:46:34  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
haha i thought it was the other way; that malkmus said something about frank, or made some smart ass comment about his music. i like pavement, but pixies were way better. His solo stuff is pretty great though "ooooooh ive got some lovely phantasies"

-miked
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  14:52:43  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
The only good thing about Pavement is that they no longer exist...Years ago a guy who lived at the flat next door used to blast at concert high volume the same pavement song("cut that hair"was the tittle i think) 15 times in a row...A bloody sadist.God how much i hated him...

It's still a good sign/by any standard
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  14:54:47  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
Fuck Pavement sucks.
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  15:39:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mrgrieves1971

I thought I read once where Stephen M. once approached Frank backstage at a festival and Frank responded with "Fuck off. Can't you see I'm talking to my brother?"

I think that was the guy from the Silver Jews, David Berman.
Go to Top of Page

Sir Rockabye
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  17:25:55  Show Profile  Visit Sir Rockabye's Homepage
quote:
The only good thing about Pavement is that they no longer exist...Years ago a guy who lived at the flat next door used to blast at concert high volume the same pavement song("cut that hair"was the tittle i think) 15 times in a row...A bloody sadist.God how much i hated him...

Anyone who was forced to hear that song 15 times daily is bound to have a negative opinion of the band. But don't be so quick to judge. Take the time to listen to some of their other stuff. Give slanted and enchanted a try or even wowee zowee. I think you might be impressed. Oh, and btw, its "cut your hair", not "cut that hair".

Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
383 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2003 :  02:13:48  Show Profile
I'm sure this has been gone over elsewhere, and I looked real hard for a direct account from Berman but couldn't find any. (the melody maker article alluded to was not on the cord.suit site) There are some quotes from Berman regarding Frank Black which follow. Anyway, my understanding was that around 1993-4 Berman, interested in asking Frank Black to produce a Silver Jews album, approached him backstage in his dressing room or whatever, was perhaps verbally snubbed or merely saw that he was engaged, and so tossed a copy of the first Silver Jews album into the dressing room in lieu of speaking to him at that moment, but managed to hit Frank or his companion with the album, and presumably an altercation developed from there. After that Malkmus, being Berman's friend, took it upon himself to slag Black in the press (I'm assuming this must have been more recently, if he referred to his own solo career in the process) though I've never personally seen any of this material and the account may be as apocryphal as the foregoing. anyhow here's some reference to the story though not one that actually includes an account of the event in question:

What's the deal with Frank Black? Is there truth to that story or was that just a play around?

-No that was a true story actually. They wrote an article about it in Melody Maker which is pretty much true.The only thing was that maybe they exaggerated. I didn't get arrested. I got detained by the police but was never arrested.

I take it you were a big fan of Frank Black and the Pixies.

-I was at one point. I wasn't a fan of his but when I went to him to ask him to record...It's sort of like I'm not a big fan of what Paul Leary does in the Butthole Surfers anymore. I was a big fan at one time and I would like to have him produce something because I think that if I don't like the way he writes songs anymore, I still believe in the way his songs sound. The way he made his songs sound at a time. So I would ask someone to produce a Silver Jew's record who's music I didn't necessarily respect anymore. I don't think I would ask someone to play on a record if I felt that way.

Couldn't much imagine Frank Black playing on a Silver Jew's record. Eight vocal track overdubs would be kind of funny sounding.*

-Yeah.

(*hardee fuckin ha!)

Anyhow, yeah, I am a Malkmus fan (though I think Berman is the visionary in that particular dyad), I don't understand how Pavement could be deserving of any genuine hatred. Is their music like way too overexposed, you just can't escape it? It seems like they'd be easy enough to ignore. Have they commited crimes beyond making music that some find personally non-appealing? There are better, more deserving targets, I would imagine.

"Join the Cult of Frank / it's more fun than a trip to the Black Lodge"
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
383 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2003 :  02:19:14  Show Profile
In addition to the above, given that that is an interview from maybe '94-'95, I'd be interested to know whether Berman is aware or familiar with Frank's more recent work. Lyrically the two are miles apart, but they both tend to employ the same classic/americana/country tropes in their music. Listen to the Silver Jews song "Honk if You're Lonely". I think they both go for a very similar feel.

"Join the Cult of Frank / it's more fun than a trip to the Black Lodge"
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2003 :  10:01:32  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
listen to this song here:
http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/mun_chien/music.htm

Presented In Mind Control/Where Available
www.munchienandalusia.too.it
Go to Top of Page

Sir Rockabye
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2003 :  10:39:54  Show Profile  Visit Sir Rockabye's Homepage
Thanks for the help, but I agree with what it says; I doubt thats really Frank and Steve. That is a pretty neat version of I Bleed though.

Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2003 :  12:51:08  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
anybody knows what is this song?it's a bit i'm trying to find out...

Presented In Mind Control/Where Available
www.munchienandalusia.too.it
Go to Top of Page

kingflower
- FB Fan -

7 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2003 :  10:01:40  Show Profile
1% of 1....that's a pretty bad-ass song off of the new Malkmus and the Jicks CD. I'm not a big fan of Pavement, but I'd definitely recommend the latest Malkmus and the Jicks cd to any Frank Black fan.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000