Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black: Future rock and roll hall-of-famer?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

deadlydoctor
- FB Fan -

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  09:04:05  Show Profile
What do you think? As one of the most brilliant songwriters of our time, will he ever gain the recognition he so rightfully deserves? And not just as a member of the Pixies, but on his own merit, post-Pixies.

--------
he’s tripping over graves • as rain begins to fall • and finally they escape when the shuttle bus is called

massif snake
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  09:18:50  Show Profile  Visit massif snake's Homepage  Click to see massif snake's MSN Messenger address
i think too many people will just think, wrongly, that his lyrics are gibberish. his influence shud put him there by default tho.

have sex with the nuns at my school.
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  10:07:56  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
Yeah. Not enough mainstream appeal. The whole "rock hall of fame" concept is bullshit anyway. it only recognises well known artists, all all a bit pompous and reeks of the industry congratulating itself.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  10:19:17  Show Profile
Scuze the ignorance but Bowie must be in the hall right?
Maybe with this link he'll get some recognition, I dunno.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  10:39:06  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Aye, the 'hall of fame' is total rubbish. I hate that shit.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  10:58:37  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
I doubt the Pixies will be in there. Who knows...

"I joined the Cult of Frank / But I don't post every 5 fucking minutes"
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  11:23:02  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
The Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame can eat my shit. I hope Frank is never associated with such a pompous, corporate-driven institution....its in the same ballpark as the trash that we call Rolling Stone magazine. (i.e. trying to be so damn hip, but so damn NOT.)

~Our children are all released, since the river flushed them clean~ ---> http://psychictwin.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  12:25:53  Show Profile
the hall of fame does suck....but when you think about what other bands started in 1986 or so and 1993....well he doesn't have that much competition as the pixies or frank black for the 25 year thing.
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  13:13:35  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
I think if Beefheart gets in, then the Pixies should too. Then, and only then, do I think they should re-unite to play the Hall of Fame concert.

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  13:14:32  Show Profile
as long as it's better than the police reunion.....
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  13:43:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by PsychicTwin

The Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame can eat my shit. I hope Frank is never associated with such a pompous, corporate-driven institution....its in the same ballpark as the trash that we call Rolling Stone magazine. (i.e. trying to be so damn hip, but so damn NOT.)

I completely agree with PsychicTwin. Fuck the Hall of Fame. Same goes for the EMP in Seattle, and any other museum where yuppies are patting themselves on their backs.

"I joined the Cult of Abe / I grew a beard with no mustache"
Go to Top of Page

leokearse
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
203 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  14:10:55  Show Profile  Visit leokearse's Homepage
Yeah the whole thing about music is that the artistry, power and effect it has usually has little to do with how popular it is. Hence Robbie Williams sells fuckin loads of records - and not to put anyone down, but his records are SHITE and are only bought by people who are halfway to animals so that they have something to hum - while FB+C sell a fraction of the records but mean a whole lot more to the people who buy them.

Therein lies the essential shitwittery of music awards - they're generally just awarding unit shifting. That said, FB+C would shift a whole lot more units if people could just hear their music. Maybe the music industry wouldn't be making so little money if the industry as a whole promoted good music instead of insipid shite like Robbie.

- Leo
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  19:52:55  Show Profile
I'll bet the Pixies will in another 20 or 30 years. Their albums have sold about as much as the Velvet Undergrounds and their influence is nearly as strong, plus they get more popular each year seemingly.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  20:00:39  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Oh come on now, sure it's all corporate and yuppy and blah blah blah, but they're fucking museums. You go there to see artifacts from the past, to learn, see exhibits, blah blah, don't get all pissy just because your favorite bands are there.

Go to Top of Page

leokearse
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
203 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  09:18:56  Show Profile  Visit leokearse's Homepage
Frank's not an artefact from the past! Not unless you believe what you read in the NME....

Agree what you say about people knocking yuppies - people with shite jobs should pull their fuckin fingers out and make it happen instead of sniping at people for not wanting to wear a clip on tie and vie for burger flipper of the month.

- Leo
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  09:25:03  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by El Barto

Oh come on now, sure it's all corporate and yuppy and blah blah blah, but they're fucking museums. You go there to see artifacts from the past, to learn, see exhibits, blah blah, don't get all pissy just because your favorite bands are there.

The R&R hall of fame in Cleveland was awesome.

Amongst all the other cool things I got to see was THE ORIGINAL BASS that was smashed on the cover of the Clash's London Calling album

That was humbling and very cool.

Edited by - the swimmer on 09/19/2003 09:25:34
Go to Top of Page

massif snake
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  10:19:31  Show Profile  Visit massif snake's Homepage  Click to see massif snake's MSN Messenger address
wonder if theyve got any bits of pete townshends various guitars

have sex with the nuns at my school.
Go to Top of Page

blackpurse
= Cult of Ray =

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  10:26:35  Show Profile
There are millions of people who have no clue who the Velvet Underground were (or their importance), yet the Velvets are in there in all their glory. I do think the same will happen with the Pixies, at least.

And I am also in the camp that is annoyed by the "it's popular, therefore it must suck" attitude which drives me running away from indie purists.

"Sacred cows make the best burgers!"
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  21:20:29  Show Profile
he better be in it

Dy;an is next to go

-------------------------
ain't it funny how the goes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic