New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  20:27:42  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage
I thought, with Frank and Jean having split up, that someone else had most likely put together the artwork for SMYT. So I was surprised to find she did indeed do it. And she's really outdone herself this time. This album looks slick, and I bet it'll be influential in pulling in a few extra sales.

-=Apesy

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  21:40:28  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
I still like the self titled FB&C cover the best. It didn't look like any other album cover I'd seen. I'd like the new one better if the cover picture didn't look so Photoshoppy and low-res. It almost looks like a video still. I do appreciate the extra details though.

www.mp3.com/clootie

Edited by - Atheist4Catholics on 09/11/2003 09:30:21
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  22:03:58  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
I was thinking the same thing tonight...I love the artwork, everything down to the CD label. I'd have to agree with A4C though, it does look very Photoshop-y and low res. Ahh well...

---------
FRANK BLACK SATAN WORKSHIP BLACK MASS
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  01:03:00  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
Agree. Very nice booklet indeed.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

cindy lou
- FB Fan -

141 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  01:24:17  Show Profile
show me your tears
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  01:40:15  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
I'll add my support for this one too. Great cover art, easily the best FB cover art so far in my opinion.

Doesn't quite beat eyeballs in as wall of coral, or whatever the hell that stuff is though :)
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  02:51:48  Show Profile
Yes, the CD label is really neat.

Does anyone else think that the artwork suggests hope in dark times? Although it's an overall dark image, the playing card symbols on the guitar neck represent chance, and the beckoning cat is of course a sign of good fortune. To me it all means "I'm going through rough times but I'll take my chances: I might get lucky". Or something. Am I seeing too much in there?

I still like Dog in the Sand best. But that one is really nice too (although it honestly wasn't my opinion the first time I saw it).

--
... if I hear the words "Pixies reunion" again...
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  02:53:00  Show Profile
i thought the cat was striking down on the heart. meh, i dunno.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  05:11:51  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage
i personally wish he'd go back to the DITS style of telling us who's playing what on every track...maybe only us nerds like that..

-brian
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  05:13:31  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
Right Brian! I'll make a new thread for it.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

chickenwithtwoheads
= Cult of Ray =

Netherlands
391 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  05:26:52  Show Profile  Visit chickenwithtwoheads's Homepage  Click to see chickenwithtwoheads's MSN Messenger address
Well I'm a graphic designer and I think the cover (+ kitten on the inside, and the back) is great but the rest of the booklet sucks.
The fonts she uses are just horrible...
The page with the picture is pretty shitty as well as the pictures she uses in the background..
So I guess I prefer DITS too

-

I'm bored with the valleys and bored by the peaks. So I bought a ticket to the freaks
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  07:21:54  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
My favourite artwork is from the orange album definitely. I don't care what anybody says, the retro sun rising with the rays (is there a Ray ref. in every album?) is awesome. And I love the little FB guitar logo. Hell, I even made myself a t-shirt. And all it's missing is Eric's autograph. Well, and Mac's, but I doubt I'll ever get that as he seems to be above helping with the equipment after the shows.

The SMYT art is pretty sloppy in my opinion and while I dig the colour scheme and the concept, I think it was executed pretty poorly.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  09:50:29  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
I love the SMYT artwork. The ironically happy cat is very cute, and I love the art under the CD the best. The font is cool, I like the way everything is laid out - it's great.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  10:20:26  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
I love the first album's art too, and the Cult of Ray face.

---------
FRANK BLACK SATAN WORKSHIP BLACK MASS
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  14:24:07  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
Uhm DITS is great because FB and the C's are actually on there
But this one is my fave I guess

Pisolero had a nice front and back but the bullet's behind the transparant tray were really stupid, so was the man who said I'm ruler of this moon boy, so if you move I shoots.

DW and BLD artwork was very very bad

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page

miguel
- FB Fan -

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  00:35:26  Show Profile  Visit miguel's Homepage
His debut solo album is the coolest, totally.
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  04:45:39  Show Profile
i like the 'i'm the ruler of this moon...' man.
and i like the bld cover and the actual cd.
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  04:46:26  Show Profile
i mean the artwork on the cd.
Go to Top of Page

Malax
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1340 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  06:56:31  Show Profile
The Cd feels nice in my hand, but I always liked stroking the self titled CD its all raised and stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  16:03:19  Show Profile
do you enjoy stroking cds? i don't do that very often. i'll give it a try and report back...

"In the Cult of Frank/it pays off to be an 'Irish Chick'"
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  17:20:24  Show Profile
Well, does anyone remember that thread last year where 90% of the board was bashing the artwork on the recent albums, and then Frank himself posted a comment? He explained about the budget constraints since he left 4AD.

And then people got real apologetic!

I still haven't seen the new artwork. I'm holding out for the Diverse Records vinyl release.
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  20:50:19  Show Profile
I think SMYT is pretty cool looking. Frank Black & the Catholics are best represented by a diverse array of imagery, and I dig the overall package.

I would have to say that FB's self-titled album is my favorite visually, followed by BLD. The self-titled album is very simple, but it works. I always thought that he ought to try to incorporate the guitar logo into all his albums.

"...you can see here by my grin I don't give a fuck..."
Go to Top of Page

miguel
- FB Fan -

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  20:35:37  Show Profile  Visit miguel's Homepage
Well, does anyone remember that thread last year where 90% of the board was bashing the artwork on the recent albums, and then Frank himself posted a comment? He explained about the budget constraints since he left 4AD.

Did he really? I haven't been aboard that long..
A lot of foot eatting..?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  21:19:37  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Yeah, that was all sorts of cool. Here you go:

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=128

Go to Top of Page

Zsolt G.
- FB Fan -

117 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  23:06:03  Show Profile
Well there was also a previous thread about SMYT's cover art and title, and people including myself were genuinely critical about most of the Catholic's artwork. To boil it down, I think it's just really cheapo looking. Very clip art and photoshop heavy. Just look at the insert under the SMYT CD. The fretboards of the guitars are all crooked. It's really a hack job. Now, I really like the new album, so don't think that the cover really matters to me. However, if I didn't know what I was buying, I might be deterred. I'm wonder how the post-"Inertia" covers will look.
Go to Top of Page

frankygoestolosangeles
- FB Fan -

France
18 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  04:03:22  Show Profile  Visit frankygoestolosangeles's Homepage
the cover art is the last thing that interests me when I get a record, I only buy music
but about FB's, I must say that they are very cheap and quite the worst of my record collection
(and especially those made by his ex-wife)
I used to like the little Fb guitar man logo on the 1st, that's it
but all the photos suck
anyway my favorite is the Oddballs one...
if you want some good cover art
check out those of In The Red or Sympathy For The Record Industry bands (the Cool Jerks album's got the best cover art I got)

you got the flavor
Go to Top of Page

miguel
- FB Fan -

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  04:35:08  Show Profile  Visit miguel's Homepage
Hey that's pretty cool, thanks COF. He goes by frankusblackus? I feel like I've seen his name in another thread.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  07:15:50  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
He went by frankusblackus and has been reincarnated as frnk blck or something like that very recently.

Go to Top of Page

Blank Frack
- FB Fan -

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  08:18:33  Show Profile  Click to see Blank Frack's MSN Messenger address
When I think DITS, I think about the cover. It would have been a shame to have skimped on that in favor of something cheaper. Frank could photocopy his butt for album art and it'd be fine by me, but some of these covers are hit and miss regardless of cost. I.E., I don't think the cover of BLD looks bad or cheap at all.

The days of opening a huge double album sleeve under a 1970s Christmas tree are gone, but I still think its important and SMYT looks like it took 30 seconds of thought. Great music though, so I won't complain.
Go to Top of Page

leokearse
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
203 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  08:56:43  Show Profile  Visit leokearse's Homepage
I really do think that they should do a bit better with the artwork - I'm sure if they put a request on here, they'd get designers falling over themselves to give them album art for free, then the Catholics could choose the one they like best.

Teenage Fanclub did a similar thing for the cover of "Thirteen" - held a kind of competition and ended up with a cool cover.

If Jean's going to continue to do the album covers, somebody PLEASE get her a photoshop book that explains how to design and optimise images for print - the colours and resolution are pretty fucked on SMYT. I loved the cover for DITS though, it reminded me of some of the classic 4AD covers.

- Leo
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  11:56:33  Show Profile
I think maybe FB and the C's should go for black and white photographs for album artwork. Their music seems to be evoking the desert plains and things like that, why not get a nice shot of the Arizona skyline? Cheap and if well done, can come off very nice.
Go to Top of Page

Mr.AD
- FB Fan -

Spain
19 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  04:31:03  Show Profile
DITS is surely my fav one (that pic is awesome and the design of the cd is really great!). But there's something about SMYT that makes it one of the nicest FB album covers ever...

...HEY, WHERE THE HELL CAN I FIND A CAT LIKE THAT! I LOVE IT!
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2003 :  10:31:41  Show Profile
i think it is all pretty damn cool if a little staid.
the font choice isn't that bad but it could have been better,
where it is truly horrible is on the back of the CD for
tracklisting -i can't read a word in that list, THAT was
truly a complete amateur move.
i mean after all a list isn't much good if you can't read it.

ciao now, round cow
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000