New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  14:49:58  Show Profile
As good as DITS, BLD, DW , & SMYT are, I feel Frank's best albums are FB&C (ST) and the amazing PISTOLERO. Both of these tend to be overlooked for some reason. For one thing, the recording quality, while being his first two live to 2track, are much crisper and less muddy than those of late (they're LOUD too!). They are his most energetic and varied...both his first stab at non-concept maybe. DITS is technically probably his best recorded work, what with the extra addition of musicians and instruments, whereas BLD & DW are downright sloppy sounding. Don't get me wrong however! I think DW is much stronger than BLD, but BLD is a very good work. They just seem rushed. His vocal performances seem to diminish a bit as on the later albums. As for SMYT, it sneakingly sounds to me as if Frank is getting a bit over his head in arrangement allowed for 2-track. Any one else feel he may be headed back to a studio production on his next opus? Anyhow, I wanna hear some thoughts on the FB&C / PISTOLERO enigma.

Catchin' blue in his eyes that were brown

-bRIAN

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  14:59:01  Show Profile
uh, pistelero and s/t are my least favourites at the moment. but they're the newest i've purchased, well, apart from smyt. i just don't like the songs off them as much as the others. but lots of people on this board love them, you're not alone transmarine. are you the one in iraq? are you still there? hows it goin?

-Jessie

"deep in ocean blues of absinthe..."
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  15:12:41  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
You're thinking of TOTIPOTENT, BG.

I agree with practically everything you're saying, Brian.
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  15:22:52  Show Profile
oops, sorry. carry on.

-Jessie

"deep in ocean blues of absinthe..."
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  15:31:28  Show Profile
Thank you Chris...however where does your practicality sway? And Brackish...just listen a few more times...then come back! I swear you will fall in total love with these two cd's (or vinyl...whatever format you have them on!).

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  15:50:50  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
The guitar solo in 'I Need Peace' is an entity in and of itself!
Go to Top of Page

MIRV
- FB Fan -

178 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  17:09:48  Show Profile
i don't know why these morons shit on pistolero either, it rocks hard.

much prefer it to the gay country shit he's doing now.
Go to Top of Page

kotvana
- FB Fan -

Israel
99 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  18:23:30  Show Profile  Visit kotvana's Homepage  Click to see kotvana's MSN Messenger address
yep. I love Pistolero!
But the best is the one camed b4!
"gay country shit", exactly. Frank should rock hard!
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  18:44:15  Show Profile
A little country never hurt anyone...i dig it...but it is becoming a bit too dominant. They need to put a fuzzy spacy spin on that steel pedal (if they're gonna keep it around) and they need to knock it off with the guest artists. They need to pair it down (like FB&C ST) or go overboard (like FB ST 93)! Crank it Frank! I WANT ROCK N ROL!!!

ps. I however have nothing against an artist trying new things, as long as they dont get stuck in a rut...and I have the utmost confidance in Mr. Black and his Posse. So dont beat me up.

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  19:45:54  Show Profile
i don't mind the country stuff. i thought it was fun at first because i thought he would stay with his usual style of making one record a certain style, then the next record a certain style and so forth, then he kept doing it and doing it. i think it started to show on pistolero to DITS then DW and BLD to SMYT as they all sound pretty similar in style. pistolero doesn't sound that similar but it started there i think. the reason i don't get mad is that they are all good songs though! i just wish he would try something else. but he writes the songs and he has every right to write whatever he likes obviously. as long as he keeps making good music i'll keep buying it.
at least he isn't writing crap. but a change would be fun and fresh.
ryan
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  02:42:08  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! We should make a special section of the forum dedicated to all the threads about why Cult Of Ray/Pistolero/FB&TC/TOTY/... is better than the others. That way I wouldn't waste my time reading these posts. Seriously, how many threads like this have there been since fb.net exists? It's pointless. People's opinions differ, get along with it.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  03:47:52  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
These do seem to appear from time to time.... like there has been countless threads about whether COR is shit or great.

Bacon....... Its not fantastic
Go to Top of Page

MiscellaneousFiles
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  04:36:39  Show Profile  Visit MiscellaneousFiles's Homepage  Click to see MiscellaneousFiles's MSN Messenger address
It seems to me that there are three phases to Frank's music. The first was the Pixies. The second is the earlier, more experimental solo albums (notably TOTY) and the third is the "country" sound. In a way you'd be surprised to find someone who likes them all equally. To be honest, I never liked country but Frank's music has allowed me to "open my ears" to it. Don't get me wrong, I love his recent stuff, but I don't think I'll ever like songs in this style as much as I liked Pixies / EarlyFrank™ stuff. I hope he branches out again. But more than that I hope that he continues to make music that he likes.

Better he churns out a "country" album a year than not give us anything! He's an incredible songwriter and whatever genre he picks, he shows himself to be a seemingly effortless master of it.
Go to Top of Page

This Is It
- FB Fan -

141 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  10:40:01  Show Profile
I say there's 4 phases: early pixies - Come on Pilgrim through Doolittle then after that was a sort of sci-fi production rock phase from Bossanova, well Bossanova might belong in the first phase, but definitely Trompe Le Monde, and that extends through Teenage of the year. Then there's the anti-production phase; the 2 track punky stuff from Cult of Ray through Pistolero. Then there's what can simply be known as the Pedal Steel/Western Star phase which are the albums that have the pedal steel throughout and that's Dog in the Sand to current. Seems like 3-4 albums tops for each phase. At this rate; and judging by the current album; the next one will be the Leonard Cohen phase with lots of pianos and brass and stuff like that.

Bushism of the day:
"Natural gas is hemispheric. I like to call it hemispheric in nature because it's a product that we can find in our neighborhoods."
-Austin, TX 12/20/00
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  11:09:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! We should make a special section of the forum dedicated to all the threads about why Cult Of Ray/Pistolero/FB&TC/TOTY/... is better than the others. That way I wouldn't waste my time reading these posts. Seriously, how many threads like this have there been since fb.net exists? It's pointless. People's opinions differ, get along with it.

Denis

it's always funny when people post stuff like this, as if every new member has been here to do 500 something posts like he has or read through the every single thread that has ever been posted. i guess i would say get along with the fact that not everyone has been here for years or even months posting and/or reading.....so they say their opinions and what they feel not knowing it has been said before or caring. they're just getting something of their chests. you're not entitled to read it or care. i am sure the 20 seconds it takes to read someones post don't keep you from losing too much of your valuable time. as you can see i keep typing and saying stuff just to see when you'll stop reading this post or realize it is a waste of time. maybe you'll read this sentence too....who knows. i wouldn't read that one though. by now i would see that this post sucks, which it does......so i agree with you there. but to call that guys opinion pointless really is silly. then again, so is my opinion...which i really don't feel that strongly about but i thought it would be fun to respond. i am not angry or anything, i just thought, "what can i do to be a dork today?" and this is what the winning idea was. okay, i am going now. i still agree with my earlier post in this thread. and i do agree that maybe a "album debates" area could be made for people who don't want to read about this here subject. carry on.
ryan
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  11:16:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Denis

Vilainde, I have no doubt that threads like this have existed in the past. And the creation (or re-creation) of this topic was not exhumed to pointlessly or maliciously debase (ha!) anyone's opinion. Plus, there is validity to reflect on previous work as new work is born. Where the harm lies, you tell me and I will n'er respond to a Frank Black thread again! I'm not saying that my love for these two albums in any respects diminishes my joy for all things Frank Black. I cannot think of a bad album he has put out! It's simply a topic (albiet a repeated one, but nevertheless) for me as a newer member to this site to touch upon and recieve feedback...now, also mind you, if the feedback is negative, my feelings aint gonna crumble! But I would hope, as I've yet to meet an unintelligent FB fan, that the negativity would be fueled with contructive spirit. Besides, Vilainde...maybe you should grace us with some momentous and illustrious threads so us lesser fans could flock to them and learn the meaning of importance of differeing opinions...and then you would have no need wasting your 'time reading these posts' as your own groundbreaking one's would no doubt keep yourself and everyone else wholly occupied.

Just a thought.

Anyhow, for those sharing so far your opinions with heart and interest (which has been all, save one), I thank you!

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  14:20:44  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
Uh-oh... Now I look like an asshole.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  15:37:07  Show Profile
naw....you're doing fine. i just think brian is newer here and he didn't mean to offend anyone with his topic...
ryan
Go to Top of Page

DaveWahl
- FB Fan -

11 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  20:20:17  Show Profile  Visit DaveWahl's Homepage
i thought blonde on blonde was pretty cool

KNOW YOUR ENEMY
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  23:23:20  Show Profile
Come on peoples! Maybe this is just a dumb thread I've created. Now I'm all confused!

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

bad melody
- FB Fan -

11 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2003 :  00:52:38  Show Profile
Well, just for the sake of responding, right now I feel "Pistolero" is the weakest of Mr. Black's albums. However, you never know when that opinion will change when you take into account that most of his material just has a way of growing on you after a certain amount of listens. Today, I've decided that I really, really like more than 3/4 of "Black Letter Days", which is up from "only half the songs on here are decent" attitude I had months ago. Another thing, people on here either seem to absolutely love Pistolero or say it's the worst of FB's music. I never see it mentioned as being average very often. But guess that's not anything that no one else hasn't already mentioned. It's so late...

"here I am with my hand"
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2003 :  05:03:00  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage
Maybe I'm wrong or off-topic, but... it seems to me that FB's recent country-inspired albums, especially BLD, are much (?) more appreciated in Europe than in the US, where fans often seem to prefer FB&TC and Pistolero. Though most of US fans obviously have no problem with country music, at least when combined with FB's talent and inspiration, I suppose that the banjo / pedal steel / traditional stuff sounds quite ordinary, even a bit old-fashioned maybe, to (young) American ears. I also assume that this stuff generally sounds "exotic", original, lush, generous, to most European ears. Am I wrong ?

Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  18:59:37  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
Frog-
interesting suggestion. I'll ponder it.

~Our children are all released, since the river flushed them clean~ ---> http://psychictwin.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2003 :  09:49:50  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
So who likes the new Mars Volta album?
Go to Top of Page

Hermaphroditos
- FB Fan -

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  15:41:48  Show Profile
i do find myself reaching for the first 2 FB&C albums more often than not. and those are the first two tours that i saw as well, so they just left this awesome impression in my head ever since. it's good to see Frank write some road-trippin tunes, but i sure do miss those old dayz when Rich Gilbert, Lyle Workman, and Frank would rock that stage with no apologies. or maybe i just miss my youth, heh.

"Oh pity me Garuda, and turn my hands into wings"
Go to Top of Page

Scarla O
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
947 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  02:01:17  Show Profile  Visit Scarla O's Homepage

Sheamus, i've been meaning to get hold of the Mars Volta album! How is it?
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  03:56:57  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Does anyone find that they don't like a song on an album, but then they hear it live and suddenly they have a new love for that song. I never really liked Crackity Jones, or Brackish Boy before I heard them live, but no I love them because of the gig at the Garage in 2001.

Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  03:58:56  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Who are Mars Volta?

Go to Top of Page

Scarla O
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
947 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  04:57:20  Show Profile  Visit Scarla O's Homepage

Mars Volta are a band that contains some (one?) of the members of the now defunct 'At The Drive-In' - it's quite heavy music, they have (had) great lyircs and were pushing along on their own path quite happily.

A band that had to be seen to be believed (i saw one of their performances on Jools Holland's show)...Iggy Pop makes a brief appearance on one 'at the drive-in's songs.

I'e not heard Mars Volta yet but they sound interesting...
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  17:37:50  Show Profile
i can't stand either band...hehe.
ryan
Go to Top of Page

green_will
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  04:25:42  Show Profile  Click to see green_will's MSN Messenger address
How come 'Hardcore' now means 'Nu-Metal' anyway? I mean, what's the deal with that? Hmmm, all sounds a bit suspicious to me

IGGY POP is amazing though
Go to Top of Page

Mr.AD
- FB Fan -

Spain
19 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  04:03:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Sheamus

So who likes the new Mars Volta album?

The new Mars Volta album? Hmmm... well, yeah! I fucking love it!
By far, De-Loused... is one of the best albums released this year.

Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  05:12:58  Show Profile
the first catholics lp is the best sounding of the bunch for some reason
-frankly they all have a lot of good songs so i don't get the 'one better than the other'
thing -i really like pistolero and i must say i probably prefer that catholics mode
opposed to the latest but i really enjoy BLD and DW for what they both offer and
overall the so-called 'sloppyness' in the recording process isn't that obvious
unless your a real nitpicker with a chip on your shoulder.
BLD has some stuff done mono it says in the notes -who cares?
-if you buy re-issues from dusty groove and get one that you think is mono but it
says stereo on the sleeve and then call them to complain/find out
-their policy is that it is not an issue as they can't most of the time
go back and find out if it is true stereo or what
-and they listen to music all day that is mono and or stereo in their store.
the point is that if you enjoy the music -it becomes less of an issue.
i know mono/stereo is not the issue here (i think the issue is ...?)
but being a former sound quality nut has taught me what does sound good for sure
...but back to basics -i just enjoy the tunes and for the most part
these guys (FB&C's) offer the best in town.

R
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  06:57:30  Show Profile
I actually prefer the DITS and beyond stuff more, despite the fact I'm not a huge fan of country. The first two FBC's albums are probably my least fav era in Frank's discography. They have great energy and sound, and Frank is truly impassioned on lots of the vocals, but there isn't that usual stylistic variation that makes Frank one of my favorites (well, there's a good deal more on Pistolero than FBC). However, his vocals are a little too phlegmy or truck-drivery on some of the songs..at the time i was nervous Frank's voice was undergoing another huge change akin to the one it did between Doolittle and Bossanova/Trompe. Now, despite the vocals being more laid back, I think he sings much better. I always liked Frank's pretty singing voice just as much as his ferocious one, and it's nice to see the pretty one back for a bit, when I thought it might be gone.
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  06:35:47  Show Profile
i scored a copy of pistolero on vinyl yesterday!
-didn't even know spinart had done that!!

R
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000