Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  07:16:28  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
mun chien andalusia:

Frank and Joey are still rocking as hard as ever with The Catholics, Kim is still heading the Breeders, who played here this year and were brilliant and David is a Scitzophrenic mad scientist.

Where's the Zombie?

Did you also miss my post just up there a bit?
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  08:22:55  Show Profile
journalism 101 by todays standards can't mean a hell of a lot considering
the over-abundance of fluff journalism and publications, so although i take
this recent news with a wad of salt -i have a feeling it is for real.
maybe a betting pool would be more civilized than angsting about how they
can't do this or hoping they will -as the facts stream in different people can calculate odds and then the various opinionated odds would be posted
for people to calculate their bets on: '$5.00 on new LP in june please...'.

R

Edited by - blarg007 on 09/10/2003 08:26:46
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  08:40:32  Show Profile
i think Kim's last Breeders LP was sonically so well done that Frank
may have done a double take -she may have painted an overly dour tone on that one and is not a high league virtuoso -but she really does have an hear for the sound the instruments make and she goes for it -having Albini
on hand helps.
She may as well have dropped off the planet otherwise though -seen the Breeders website lately? Lovering making the big-time as a magician?
and Frank of course -he wants kids-but maybe not just yet..
i remember seeing the pixies on MTV for Trompe Le Monde interview
and joey was shaking his head saying 'boy, if this album doesn't do it then
i don't know..'and i got that feeling right there that that was it.

-mathematically if you calculate the odds
-they will do it.

R
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  08:55:07  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
I agree, the latest Breeders records is really good. I don't think she gets enough credit (at least in this forum) as a musician.
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  09:09:02  Show Profile
the only sad thing is they will probably be pounded down the same pipeline
as 'sum41' or 'linkin park' or whatever -the 'alternative' route
(a sad american thing that corporate music industry).
mainly because if they are getting radio play in the near future you
might want to hear it for yourself -right after that annoying daredevil
theme song and before disturbed's latest ballad.
all i know is radio is dead when a station that actually did play the 'headache' single, pizzicato 5 and bjork evolved into relentless
poundings of the offspring and the latest pimply faced, tattooed,
pierced and brainless angst whiners- only corporate demons could create
such a hell.

R
Go to Top of Page

jo
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  09:20:26  Show Profile  Visit jo's Homepage
I have to say, when I was on the way to some gig at the Forum in North London, and they handed me a Jane's Addiction sticker, I looked at it, thought "Janes Addiction? sticker?" and wondered who had devised their marketing plan

then thought again and had I been half my age, I'd have stuck it on my school book...

it felt odd though
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  09:28:51  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Sheamus

Another idiot, brilliant.

quote:
Originally posted by mun chien andalusia

quote:
Originally posted by frank_black_francis

PLEASE NO! I HATE IT, I HATE IT, I HATE IT! Reunions suck and only serve to tarnish the dignity of bands.

Right.There is no need for zombie bands.What is over is over and i wouldn't like the Pixies become another rock dinosaur freak show like Kiss,Black Sabbath or whatever...

www.munchienandalusia.too.it

quote:

mun chien andalusia:

Frank and Joey are still rocking as hard as ever with The Catholics, Kim is still heading the Breeders, who played here this year and were brilliant and David is a Scitzophrenic mad scientist.

Where's the Zombie?

Did you also miss my post just up there a bit?

I just ignored your post 'cause i'm not into fighting for stupid reasons.To reply to this one i'll just say that since everyone is doing fine by himself why the hell should they un-burry something dead and gone?It seems to me that more than music you are into hype,you would like to go around and say "hey cool i saw the Pixies live and i'm so alternative....".Grow up face life and understand that bands do break up and there's nothing wrong about it...
Another thing,next time you don't agree with somebody's opinion set him on fire since you are the most intelligent asshole out there...
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  10:30:46  Show Profile
Regarding reuninons in general, I have absolutely no beef with them because pretty much every single major band I have ever loved has gotten back together for my benefit. I've had the pleasure of seeing Mission of Burma, the Soft Boys, Love (not really a reunion but still awesome) Rocket from the Tombs, Television, THE BREEDERS, and later this year, the Stooges, all of which have been sublime, incredible concert experiences (or probably will be in the case of the Stooges). I don't have any ill-will or mixed feelings about any of those bands, and I'm sure each's motivations run the gamut.

Nevertheless, I have very mixed feeling about a Pixies reunion, though for largely selfish reasons. I've seen Frank Black 10 or 11 times now, and he's never been short of awesome. I remember the last full blown Catholics gig at the El Rey, speaking to several 'first timers' who were largely unaware or uninterested in his recent work before the show, and all swore they would be picking up Dog in the Sand after the show. The way he played it they basically were forced to realise that "Bullet" and "Jane" were every bit as amazing as "Crackity Jones" and "Cactus". The pitchfork interpretation of this obviously extremely dubious story underlines exactly why I'm feeling nauseous: it would never occur to these people in a million years to go to a Frank Black gig, but they are convinced that the Pixies reunion will be the rock event of the century.
Secondly, if it were going to happen, I can't say I'd really lose any respect for any of the participants, but I can say that I have respected Charles for sticking to his guns all these years. His hard-nosed, stubborn refusal to be nostalgic about the Pixies and his simultaneous single-minded pursuance of his own unique muse in the face of commercial and critical indifference is nothing short of inspiring for me, but hey, maybe I just like art and the people who make it. I most certainly do have mixed feelings about him kinda going backwards like that. Nevertheless, no matter how much any of us bitch and moan, and despite the fact that this story reeks of horseshit and probably is, we all know that we'd be there, front and center, right? We're not gonna let those goddamn posers snap up all the tickets.
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  10:34:13  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
Not that Jane's Addiction have anything to do with Pixies. But Jane's Addiction's reunion is making them look like ass-clowns....reunions suck, and they blemish the image of all of the bands that have em. Simple.
Go to Top of Page

blackpurse
= Cult of Ray =

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  10:38:27  Show Profile
I composed this after Mun Chien Andaalusia's post, and to put it nicely:

I'm in the camp that is none too excited about a Pixies reunion. I base this on my past experience with seeing other beloved bands reunite, and (as I have detailed in a similar thread and quoted Sir Paul McCartney) believe "You cannot reheat a souffle." I don’t' fault anybody who has not seen this (or any favorite, legendary) band wanting their chance to be there. However, I would ask that those who do equally respect the passion with which some people do NOT want to see such a reunion, because many of us have experiences that would lead us to believe that it would be an extreme disappointment. That doesn't make Francis Black Francic or me for that matter, stupid. Simply passionate. It bothers me that he was called an idiot for expressing a simple, passionate response "I hope this doesn't happen." We have reasons -- based on direct experience or logical assumptions -- for our opinion, just as those hoping for a reunion are as equally passionate and probably have just as valid reasoning behind them. What I still have yet to see in this thread is:

A) Any concrete evidence that this is not a hoax. Whether good or bad journalistic practices are or are not the norm anymore is not the point. The point is that the one report we have all seen is based on an unnamed source (who isn't even identified as somebody who "asked not to be identified.") and that's bad journalism, period. This certainly wouldn't hold water in a court of law, that's for sure. Good, quality music isn't the norm these days either, yet I still demand it and it is still taught in the best schools and workshops, and it still exists and is available for the discerning customer -- same with journalism. (Try visiting www.poynter.org -- there are people out there who care about and are practicing good, responsible oldschool journalism in this new millenium.) I wouldn't buy stock in Lucent based on an "unnamed source" and again, as somebody who doesn't want to see this happen, I'm preferring to be convinced that it won't until I see confirmation attributed to a named, reliable source, such as one of the Pixies themselves, or a member of their individual management (such as Ken Goes) or somebody authorized by Goes ("Joe Prguy, spokesperson for the Ken Goes Agency, who represents Frank Black, told [reliable news source] that rehearsals of the band are underway in [location.])". This is the difference between the New York Times and some internet blog.

B) A real discussion of the issues at hand as to why or why not such a reunion would be feasable, probable, or positive. Again, full disclosure, my bias is that it would not. As mean as it sounds, Mun Chien Andalusia's assertion that many would like to see a reunion for the sole purpose of indie bragging rights might be a valid point. The only time I saw the Pixies was that final tour for Trompe LeMonde -- when they all hated each other, and they played their songs. Its not on my list of top ten shows I've ever seen in my life, and frankly, all I got out of it was the satisfaction, empty as it was, to say "I was there". My husband, on the other hand, saw them in the early days playing to near-empty dumps here in Milawukee and in Germany -- the magic times. Now that's bragging rights. While its true that I'd probably go to a Pixies reunion, I would do it more out of curiosity and praying I don't leave with too much a bad taste in my mouth.

There was a thread earlier in this forum where it was asked basically "What shows would you have liked to have seen", and many of us replied either describing shows well before our time, or ones we had an opportunity to see but blew off for some (in hindsight) stupidass reason. Do I want to see any of these bands reunite just so I can cash in on my lost opportunity? God no. I missed that magic moment, and instead of pissing and moaning about it, I'd rather keep my eyes open and be there when the next genuine, spontaneous magic moment is happening right in my face -- without risking missing it because I was too busy shoegazing, waiting for a manufactured replica of a time that has come and gone. Have you ever had a reheated souffle? That's some nasty ass shit.

"Sacred cows make the best burgers!"
Go to Top of Page

stephensolo
- FB Fan -

41 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  11:11:32  Show Profile  Visit stephensolo's Homepage
[size=3]death to the pixies! long live the pixies![/size=3]
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  11:21:30  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
From Ananova..... a mate sent me this from the UK.
Ananova:

The Pixies 'to reform for world tour and album'

The Pixies are to reunite for the first time in more than a decade with a world tour next April, according to reports.

If the tour goes well it could be followed by a new studio album, a spokesman for the legendary indie band told MTV.

All four original members, singer/guitarist Frank Black, bassist/singer Kim Deal, guitarist Joey Santiago and drummer David Lovering, would be involved in the tour.

The band has not yet begun rehearsing for the tour, but, given their ugly breakup in 1993, the announcement is one of the most unlikely and anticipated reunions in the history of indie rock.

In July, Black told London's XFM Radio that he still dreams about a Pixies reunion and he revealed that the group occasionally gets together for informal jam sessions, "but not for public consumption".

Why are they making out that the Pixies are a Sex Pistols style 'hate each other' band....... this has to be bullshit!

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  11:30:20  Show Profile
Janes addiction started out as ass clowns if i remember correctly
-saw 'em when they started and i just remember rolling my eyes a lot and drinking whilst some led zeppelin wannabe band was wailin' away..
pixies re-union wise it's just not the same analogy as simply going back
in time or backwards -it's more like a painter going back to France or Italy where they had once done some great work -back to catch up with a fond old atmosphere and see what comes up this time.
who knows -i suppose if the artist had experienced the muse in Baghdad
and then spent the last 10 years on a beach in Guam (any Guam FBers???)
then went to Baghdad today....yowza.
we all have a certain curiosity about what they could cook up -i'm
sure they also have that -all of them must wonder.
getting paid well to find out can't hurt anyone involved -i don't think
the high road of non sell out notoriety is exactly doing anything for any
of those involved right now -except charles in regards to his own self image he has done quite well for himself -but for crying outloud i pestered
XRT 'chicago's finest rock' mucho in the past months on why no frank black
-pretty much all the way to the top and they have actually said yes they
should be playing frank black and do and have played pixies,
but they get real vague as to why they are basically ignoring him
-and beleive me if you heard this stations playlists you would automatically see FB&C right in amongst 'em (j. hyatt as well as iggy, replacements, steve earle and every other americana geetar slingin' band)
it's actually wretched how they of course play the same cuts from bands
-relentlessly, even the Clash -when Joe Strummer died they played
'train in vain' (mick jones sings that one)after giving the memorium announcement that he had past -i've been going off on them ever since
-they can play ALL the beatles cuts and any stones cut -even the one
where they have to repeatedly bleep the word shit (from exile on main street).
-which is just stupid if you ask me -this is the kind of crap that staid,
moronic decision making panels corporate or otherwise do with radio and it is just so damn sad to watch -er hear.
i picked on them because they are a throwback station to the early seventies and still have the same DJ's for cripes sake and i figured they might actually have taste but the corporate polling machine is in place somehow and they (DJ's) seem to want to play stuff like FB but don't.
for me personally since the Pixies have that 'track record'
it would simply mean a little crack can begin because stations like this
would be actually playing it for the masses and being one to WANT to just
turn on a radio sometimes that would make it a little less painful.

R

Edited by - blarg007 on 09/18/2003 08:16:43
Go to Top of Page

Horrible
- FB Fan -

22 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  11:30:39  Show Profile
Frank is often quoted as saying that he'd only do a Pixies reunion if he needed the money (ie; a family member needing a new kidney or some shit like that.) So, maybe the divorce took him to the cleaners and now he needs some cash. That is if the rumor is true, and it does smell like a hoax. Time will tell I suppose.
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  11:39:08  Show Profile
Paul McCartney after John Lennon died said 'you can not reheat a souffle'
-with more than 20 years behind him and that band i believe.
yeah, well if you even think about eating leftover seafood -it always stinks so what the hell does that have to do with one of the greatest
american rock bands who are all actually pretty young still and only
50% the time off the last go around?
(this is fun!)

R
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  11:40:27  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Hmmmm...... not wanting to go into the divorce subject but he is supposedly still on good terms with his ex-wife which would surely rule out needing to get back with the Pixies for extra cash.

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  11:46:53  Show Profile
i just don't get the 'aaaggghhh don't do it' thing
it would still be FB-gigging with another band is all, one that he happened
to have played with before and has a connection to the possibility of some degree of higher profit -doesn't mean the end of the current direction /
personnel thing he has going with the Catholics.
'eewww franky how could you do it?!!@#$ i feel so dirty..'

R
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  11:48:00  Show Profile
maybe he needs a kidney....

R
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  11:58:53  Show Profile
i get the feeling that frankblack.net is like a u-boat under attack
right now: noisy and barto barking commands as depth charges blow all around water springing from big ugly pipes, noisy screams 'not again!
hey barto whats our depth -'80 fathoms sir, it's those damn pixies again...aaarrrggghh wutta we do now??!!
'it's O.K.' noisy says 'we'll start a fire.. sing some songs

R
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  12:01:40  Show Profile
quote:

Frank and the rest of the band are too intelligent to release shitty music.

yeah...
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  12:09:36  Show Profile
I don't personally count myself among the diehard naysayers in this case... I said I'd be there front and center...But, I feel that from an aesthetic/artistic standpoint, it's a little, JUST A LITTLE, disappointing.

As far as magic goes, Mission of Burma was one of the most magical shows I've ever seen in my life. This was not a cold re-creation, going through the motions type of thing. Watching Roger Miller do that crazy, unbelievable ear-splitting shit with his guitar is an experience I wouldn't trade for anything. Not to harp that other boston band but even the super-old-schoolers are saying that they're better now than they were in '81. I really don't get the wholesale dismissal of "reunions" right out of the gate. As with any souffle, there are good ones and bad ones. Some bands forgo the reheating route and just whip a whole new one up.
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  12:17:58  Show Profile
..open the pod bay door HAL....
...dave...

..dave...

R
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  12:49:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Useyourname

Never have I seen an april fools joke planned so far in advance.

jimmy

Am I the only one here who recognizes this entire scenario (beginning with Frank's tongue-in-cheek "private jams" comment to the NME, and continuing on through this COMPLETELY uncorroborated MTV/VH1 gibberish) is in many respects a rehash of the reunion hoax I originally posted last year on April Fool's Day?

It's below, in case you never caught it.

While I most certainly could be wrong, this whole thing seems like an OBVIOUS put-on.

First off, Lovering's spending something like 4 nights a week at The Magic Castle in L.A. and has supposedly devoted his life to prestidigitation.

Secondly, Frank's busy promoting what many folks are calling his best solo album to date.

Thirdly, no one seems to ever "speak for" The Pixies other than Frank himself, or their manager Ken Goes.

Fourthly, in a recent and candid interview posted just days ago on this site, Frank lays into MTV something fierce, basically blaming them for the downfall of truly alternative music, if not societal mores in general.

It strikes me as ridiculous that they would be the first ones to hear about this, as they would likely have nothing whatsoever to offer the band in terms of real publicity or airtime. Plus, 90% of the folks that watch MTV these days, have no idea who The Pixies are, and if they got a good look at them would change the channel to avoid gazing at the elderly.

Whether Jo from 4AD admits it or not, this is exactly the sort of thing that generates TONS of free publicity to fuel future sales of the new Best Of comp they're readying for release, not to mention the upcoming DVD.

Most importantly, it allows the publicity to happen in such a way that it doesn't look crass – like it's designed around a reissue campaign.

I'm not accusing 4AD of spreading the rumor, though.

I think it's a bunch of lame shit on the part of MTV Networks, who seem to have no problem quoting the interview with Frank where he mentions the prospect of a reunion, but conveniently omit any trace of the follow-up interview a few weeks later, where he admitted the whole thing was a gag at the expense of the shallow British music press.

Some of the folks at MTV probably worked their back in the day, when The Pixies seemed to represent something that meant a lot ot them and their viewers. I'm sure many of them would love to trumpet something like this – if only to try and atone for "shows" like Undressed and Making The Video.

I wouldn't be surprised if The Pixies got together to do "something special" for placement on the DVD, since scheduling conflicts apparently forced Kim to be left out of the Gouge doc., and I'm sure no one involved thinks that was fair, regardless of past bickering.

But as far as a full-scale reunion or tour, everything about these reports (especially the April timeline) smacks of utter bullshit.

Does any of the following sound familiar?

>>>>>>>Posted - 04/01/2003 :  17:54:14        

Alright everyone,
I know in some earlier posts a few months back I spouted off about how it was futile to constently pine for a Pixies reunion when Frank was obviously having so much fun with The Catholics and steadfastly refused to dwell in the past.
Well, I never thought I'd regret being so cocky about anything, but I am now.
A lifelong friend of mine worked for Elektra records from about 1986 till 1990. He started out as a radio promo guy and eventually made it as far as being a Vice President of A & R. I'm not going to mention his name 'cause he'll be pissed, but suffice it to say he still works in the business as the marketing director for the hard rock division of a very well-known label owned by Sony Entertainment.
During his time at Elektra, he played a great part in getting the Pixies music played on college radio, and has remained on good terms with most of the bandmembers since then. He's been hinting to me for about two months now that something really big was in the works for the group, but I just assumed it was the 4AD reissues or the DVD thing that Jo keeps promising on this board.
I got this e-mail from him last night while I was at work and was so blown away, that I'm not even going to bother paraphrasing or putting any of my own spin on it. Check this shit out.

>Jim,
You know the Pixies thing I was telling you about. Well, it won't be officially announced till early May, but now that it's a done deal, I just wanted to give you a heads up. They're getting back together! The contracts were signed a few days before this Catholics tour, but it took till now to lock in the U.S. dates. They're going to do approx. 2 weeks worth of American shows in late June and if all goes well, they'll hit Europe and the Far East in July. That's all they're committed to, and everyone involved that I've talked to says it absolutely won't go beyond that. From what I can tell, the main reason for this is the stateside reissues and the renewed interest in the band from all the skatepunks and shit like that. Joey told me that ever since Frank began to add some of the old songs back into his sets and saw the reaction they got, he's been starting to thaw out a bit on the whole idea. All four of them hung out together for a few days in L.A. in February, and it was the first time they'd all been in the same room together without any lawyers in almost 10 years. I wouldn't go so far as to say they're getting along famously, but they've apparently settled enough of their problems to make this thing a go for now. Kim told me that the Camper Van thing really sealed the deal. They watched those guys bury the hatchet and get back out there in support of that Spinart box, and everywhere they go, people are falling all over themselves. Most of those CVB crowds are made up of kids who weren't even old enough to see them when they were around the first time. Plus, there's the money factor. Frank's the only one really making any serious dough off music, and this is a chance for the rest of them to have one last cash-out before they part ways for good. Kim's in better shape now than she's been in years, and Lovering's been eating up the Pixie fans on the road, so this is the first time it's ever made sense. It's my understanding that at Frank's insistence, they will ONLY play old songs. Nothing new will be written or rehearsed, and there will be no new studio album, although I can only assume they'll release a live set or video from the tour. Potential setlists are being hammered out over the next few days. They've also hired Eric Feldman to play keys and samples again, and Rob Laufer to play additional guitar stuff like Pete and Ken did for R.E.M.'s shows. This is a pretty big deal, so instead of using the Catholics' booking guy, they've hired Frank Riley out at High Road Entertainment to handle everything (didn' t you do something with him back when he was with Monterey Peninsula?). He finished locking in the USA dates a few days ago, and booked the rooms under some fake band name so specifics can't leak out before the actual press release in May. Most of the shows are in theatres that seat between 2,500 and 5,000, but there are supposed to be a few surprise small club dates along the way. No opening acts yet, but they're considering using unknown local bands. They're only playing major markets, so you'll probably have to drive to Atlanta or Tampa. In Europe, they'll do summer festivals instead of theatres or halls. There's already talk of some double bills with Bowie (!). There's also going to be TONS of merchandise for this thing. Shirts, posters, the whole deal. Tannis Root got the licensing for the shirts and are going to make a killing. This is all totally legit. I'll probably be able to score some tix and maybe some backstage stuff, and hopefully we can hook up for a show or two. What's mine is yours. More info later. Pretty fucking awesome, huh???

That's it, folks. When I know more, I'll pass it on. Is there anyone else out there who knew about this but has been keeping their mouth shut?
~ Peter Radiator

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Visiting Sasquatch
= Cult of Ray =

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  13:00:00  Show Profile
Well, I've long buried any hope for a renunion, though I'd be there if there was. What I don't understand is, if the seperated Pixies are still musical geniuses...Frank w/Catholics, Kim w/Breeders, Joey w/Catholics, Martinis, Movie Soundtracks, and Dave w/Cracker and Science Magic...hehe...why would it be "nasty ass shit" if they played together again? I'm not looking at my shoes when I see "magic moments" at metal, punk, and indie shows, and I'm not waiting for a Pixies renunion to make me whole again, but I'll bet you one million gadjillion dollars EVERYONE here would go...

And you know what...about that reheated souffle quote...Paul McCartney finally did "reunite" with the surviving Beatles to record that bird song...with John Lennon's voice recorded from an unreleased track. Thank god the Pixies have the option of reuniting in person!

I agree with the rest of you...I doubt it's a legit story.
Go to Top of Page

jo
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  13:06:00  Show Profile  Visit jo's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator
Whether Jo from 4AD admits it or not, this is exactly the sort of thing that generates TONS of free publicity to fuel future sales of the new Best Of comp they're readying for release, not to mention the upcoming DVD.

Most importantly, it allows the publicity to happen in such a way that it doesn't look crass – like it's designed around a reissue campaign.

I'm not accusing 4AD of spreading the rumor, though.

oh its a fantastic sales opportunity, and I wish all these reports said "a new Best of and DVD are due for release next year" and we'd all be sat in the office grinning at the easiest bit of press in the world... sadly they don't say that...

however, it should also be pointed out, that should (I'm being hypothetical) the Pixies reform, and make another record, the likelihood of it being on 4ad is pretty slim - it would be likely to be SpinArt/Cooking Vinyl - FB's current labels. 4ad has no rights any more, bar the backcat.

its funny, every message board I go to, bar one, have this news on it :)

oh and just for the record, I work for the Beggars Group rather than strictly 4ad, but hey, I don't mind :)
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  13:15:42  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
Pixies reunion = pointless and, potentially, very lame.

Have you guys that are pining for one ever seen the Catholics live? They put on an amazing show, lemme tell you. And their first three albums? Wow. Pistolero and Dog in the Sand are easily the match of Pixies recordings. You should check 'em out sometime and forget about this reunion nonsense. (I think it awfully fishy that these bogus reports bear no mention of Show Me Your Tears OR the Pixies stuff that's scheduled to come out next year.)

When the hell is CBS gonna do a Murphy Brown reunion?
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  13:21:03  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage
A fan from Spain wrote in the Alec Eiffel guestbook that there are rumors of The Pixies playing the FIB Festival 2004 in Spain (Festival Internacional de Benicassim???).I just know that Frank loved his Pixie gigs in Spain because he practiced his Spanish.I just wish he returned to la Isla De Encanta (Puerto Rico) to practice it here with his Puertorrican fans!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Valhalla
- FB Fan -

Germany
80 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  13:21:50  Show Profile
quote:

PLEASE NO! I HATE IT, I HATE IT, I HATE IT! Reunions suck and only serve to tarnish the dignity of bands.

I agree with you, I hate reunions too. Especially I would hate that Frank Black with the Pixies would become a "mega star group" (like REM, Radiohead, etc.). I prefer Frank Black and the Catholics making brilliant music, unnoticed from the masses.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  14:04:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Valhalla

quote:

I agree with you, I hate reunions too. Especially I would hate that Frank Black with the Pixies would become a "mega star group" (like REM, Radiohead, etc.). I prefer Frank Black and the Catholics making brilliant music, unnoticed from the masses.

I don't think many artists aspire to be unnoticed. They should do what they want to do and I'm sure they've given it more thought than we have. I'm not taking any votes on my next career moves (not that anyone cares, except for my wife and parents).
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  14:58:28  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Peter, I think you make some excellent points, especially the one about FB laying into MTV. blackpurse also makes some excellent points about the shoddy journalism, unnamed sources, etc. To top things off, this whole article exploding on the scene on the release date of the new album...perhaps a publicity stunt? Maybe FB's therapist is a MASSIVE Pixies fan, and he somehow brainwashed him into getting the Pixies together as a "theraputic experience."

---------
FRANK BLACK SATAN WORKSHIP BLACK MASS
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  15:06:24  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
BLACKPURSE....very well said. PETER RADIATOR...always on the money. CHRIS KNIGHT...I totally agree. I have seen Pixies twice, Frank Black seven times now. The catholics give a better live show. Much tighter than the pixies. If anything, this latest album proves that the Catholics are constantly evolving, always fresh...THEY SHOULDNT FUCK THAT UP.
Go to Top of Page

leokearse
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
203 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  15:40:51  Show Profile  Visit leokearse's Homepage
I doubt that the Pixies reunion will result in bad music, live or on album, Frank Black isn't really in the habit of making bad music. What will be bad is fighting for tickets with 12 year olds in Linkin Park T-shirts - not that I've got anything against them, but I've been waiting to see the Pixies since before they were born...

Anybody notice how the NME described FB as "a successful solo artist"? He's been "...and the Catholics" for how many albums? and will be for how many more?

- Leo
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  15:45:13  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by blackpurse

Blackpurse thanks for the support(though i still think you tend to be a bit logoroic).Here's what i think about this hypothetical
reunion:
As once said Frank Zappa "We 're in it for the money".That's what reunions are about.I would go to see the Pixies live and most probably i would enjoy the show but it wouldn't sound right.Frank Black has done a lot of way without Black Francis and it's sure as hell that i would want to listen to some FB song at this Pixies gig.You can't forget your present for the past...
Immagine the pubblic of a Pixies show in 2003: people at their 30's that talk about how great was the music at their time and how much it sucks now and how influential the Pixies were and teenagers that are there to see the ancestors of Nirvana and Placebo,the coolest not-so-famous ancient band that everybody knows by name but never heard a song...And what will they get?The old ones a gig from their idols like the one they lost back in 1989,the young ones a concert of 40 year-old rockers that sing some old fashioned songs.The day after,the ones will say that they finally saw the Pixies live the others will go to school and say that they weren't that much after all...It happened to me when i went to see the Rolling Stones with my father.He enjoyed the show because he never got to see them back in 1981 but i went to school next day(i was 16 or 17) and told everyone that the RS were too fucking overestimated,a bunch of old guys jumping around...
Worst case scenario that they get together and make a new album too...How can i handle kids talking me about the new Pixies cd?That would probably have a dance remix in it?What then?Pixies on MtV in 2004?Or their new single remixed by Junior Jack?
I know i'm becoming sentimental but i think that Black Francis,Mrs Murphy,D.Lovering & J.Santiago are dead (not forgotten though).Long live Frank Black,Kim Deal,The Martinis and the Scientific Paranormalist(or what the hell did he become)...
A basic ingredient of myths is timing.Jimmy Hendrix is myth because he died like Elvis and Ian Curtis...Black Francis killed himself in a more intelligent way passing into rock mythology along with the Pixies...Let's just hope that he becomes a legend a second time as Frank Black and not like Lazarus that came back from the tomb.
History is repeated the first time as a tragedy , the second time as a farse.I don't know who said that but he was fucking right....
Go to Top of Page

il_capo
- FB Fan -

51 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  16:20:38  Show Profile
I think it's happening. I've been confused as to why there is a new best-of coming out with the DVD next year and this seems to give it some sense.

Of course I'll pay the bucks to go to the show; I'm too big a fan not to give them a chance. I'm pretty damn sure though that it'll be nowhere near as good as it was first time round. I just can't see (wo)men in their late 30s being able to thrash out songs like dead, rock music and tame with the same conviction and meaning.

It's worrying that they might spoil the memory of something preserved so perfectly in time - 5 brilliant albums between 87 and 91. However, I do think it's good that Frank sticks certain Pixies songs in his Catholic shows - there have been some nice reinterpretations of those songs with the new musicians on them.

Go to Top of Page

blackpurse
= Cult of Ray =

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  16:34:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by blarg007

Paul McCartney after John Lennon died said 'you can not reheat a souffle'
-with more than 20 years behind him and that band i believe.

R

The book I have with that quote was published and copyrighted in 1978, two years before Lennon was killed, so it wasn't in response to Lennon's death. Round about '77 there were rumors floating ab out re: a Beatles reunion (they had just re-rleased "Got to Get You into My Life" and it took off as though it were a fresh single.) and people were bothering them about a reunion. That's when McCartney replied that. Wasn't that around the time SNL's Lorne Michaels went on the air offering them a whole 3K to reunite on SNL to play only three songs ("... you can split the money any way you like, if you want to give Ringo less...."). Hmmm.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000