Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

carsonwerner
= Cult of Ray =

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  20:14:07  Show Profile  Visit carsonwerner's Homepage
http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1478034/20030909/pixies.jhtml?headlines=true

I wonder where this came from, I can't imagine this is true.

[MOVED]

Edited by - El Barto on 09/09/2003 23:52:08

JamesM
= Cult of Ray =

308 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  20:24:56  Show Profile
I can't either, and I actually hope it's not.

-Jimmy M.
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  20:40:12  Show Profile
I like how they say Frank Black released a lot of "...often bizarre solo albums." Makes you wonder about us and our propensity for said albums sometimes.

...i'm not black like barry white no i am white like frank black is...
Go to Top of Page

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1963 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  20:45:03  Show Profile
MTV has an article about the reunion as well, saying it will happen.
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  20:56:50  Show Profile
PUH-LEEZ God NO!!!

Go to Top of Page

carsonwerner
= Cult of Ray =

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  21:01:09  Show Profile  Visit carsonwerner's Homepage
Well I think VH1 got the article from MTV, so it's still that one source. I wonder how it got started, there's not much detail in the article.
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  21:26:34  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
My friend emailed me yesterday saying that I should come back to England quickly as the Pixies were due to reform and tour the UK. He got the story from Total Guitar, which probably just jumped on the BBC interview.

Here is the transcript:

The Eagles declared "Hell Freezes Over" when they reunited a few years ago, and indie rock fans are about to feel the same way.

In April, the legendary Pixies will reunite for the first time in over a decade. The notoriously quarrelsome quartet have buried the hatchet, clearing the way for all four original members to hop onstage together for a world tour, according to a spokesperson for the band.

If all goes as planned, the triumphant return of one of the most influential rock bands of the late '80s might also be followed by a new studio album, the source said. The band has not yet gotten together to begin rehearsing for the tour, but, given their ugly breakup in 1993, the announcement is one of the most unlikely and anticipated reunions in the history of indie rock.

Singer/guitarist Black Francis (real name Charles Michael Kitteridge Thompson IV), bassist/singer Kim Deal, guitarist Joey Santiago and drummer David Lovering got together in Boston as the Pixies in 1986. The band immediately gained a cult following and critical acclaim for their signature blend of screaming punk noise, surf influences and jagged guitar riffs mixed with impossible-to-ignore melodic hooks and Francis?bizarre lyrics about space, sex, religion and mutilation.

Their debut EP, Come on Pilgrim, was released in 1987, followed by 1988's abrasively catchy full-length debut, Surfer Rosa. By the time they recorded Doolittle that same year with producer Gil Norton (who, thanks to his work with the Pixies, would go on to produce everyone from Foo Fighters to the Distillers), the buzz on the Pixies was deafening. The band scored modern rock hits from that album with the songs "Monkey Gone to Heaven" and "Here Comes Your Man."

Tensions were already running high in 1990 when the Pixies went on hiatus and Francis mounted a solo tour. Deal formed the Breeders with former Throwing Muses member Tanya Donelly as an outlet for her songs, which she was struggling to get onto Pixies albums. Her inability to share the recorded spotlight with Francis was one of the primary reasons for her strained relations with the enigmatic singer.

The Pixies came back together in late 1990 to record Bossanova with Norton, but personality clashes continued, inspiring Deal to announce from the stage that the band was breaking up during an English date in support of the album.

Despite her proclamation, the group held things together long enough to record 1991's Trompe Le Monde. They went out on their final U.S. tour during the spring of 1992 when they opened for U2 on the massive Zoo TV extravaganza. Following those dates, they again went on hiatus as Francis recorded his solo debut and Deal cut an EP with the Breeders.

Francis changed his name to Frank Black later that year (inspiring the name of the lead character in the apocalyptic television series "Millennium") and faxed the group a statement announcing their breakup. He went on to record a string of often bizarre solo albums that aimed for the same mix of noise and melody as the Pixies, but failed to connect with a mass audience. Deal scored a hit in 1993 with the unexpectedly popular Breeders single "Cannonball," while Lovering and Santiago formed a group called the Martinis in 1995.

Ironically, the very alternative rock sound the Pixies helped to revolutionize exploded onto the public consciousness soon after their demise, with bands such as Nirvana paying frequent and loving tribute to their heroes.

In July, Black told London's XFM Radio that he still dreams about a Pixies reunion and he revealed that the group occasionally gets together for informal jam sessions, "but not for public consumption." Black said his fantasies of a reunion were like "those schoolboy dreams when you don’t do your homework and you don't study for the test. I’m at the gig and we’re hanging out, but it's an utter failure and I don't know the songs and hardly anyone turns up for the gig and people walk out. That’s what I'm afraid of ... that it'd be a big, big failure."

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?

Edited by - Stuart on 09/09/2003 21:29:03
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  21:32:23  Show Profile
Love the new signature, Stu.

Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  23:54:03  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Both VH1 and MTV have the same exact article written by the same person. I'm wondering if they're just late catching up with the old news, or if this is for real. I don't like the sounds of it.

---------
FRANK BLACK SATAN WORKSHIP BLACK MASS

Edited by - El Barto on 09/09/2003 23:55:12
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  01:05:31  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by glacial906

Love the new signature, Stu.

Cheers Glacial.... they say this cat Shafts a bad mutha.... shut your mouth!

Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  01:16:34  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by El Barto

I'm wondering if they're just late catching up with the old news, or if this is for real. I don't like the sounds of it.

El Barto, I feel the same way as you. I read this thinking that it was just a ripple from the interview that Frank gave with BBC Radio. However the fact that they have mentionned April as the date of a new world tour gives me second thoughts about brushing this one aside as rumours. Why would they print that?? Hmmm, maybe Mr Black has been leading people on some more with his sarcasm, maybe not.

If this is true then I will travel anywhere in the world to see them, even if that includes having to pay a visit to the US or Canada (as opposed to the UK). Maybe if this happens then I can meet up with some of you guys, or you can help me find some cheap accomodation to stay in whilst I am in your country (with that you will receive Clopmatic Immunity).

I wonder if this will materialise into anything true.

Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  01:34:57  Show Profile
they say that cat Stu is a baaaaaaad mother- shut your mouth!

i'd give up smoking... but im not a quitter.
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  01:36:47  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
"I don't like the sounds of this, wah wah wah, some things should be left untouched, cry cry cry"

I would love The Pixies to reform. They never toured Australia, my life would be complete if they reformed and came here. I can't see any possible negatives to come from this, aside from a bad new album, which I doubt would happen...and even if a new album was released, which I doubt it would be, Frank and the rest of the band are too intelligent to release shitty music.
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  01:52:27  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by bazza

they say that cat Stu is a baaaaaaad mother- shut your mouth!

Who is the man who would send cd's to his brother man? - Baz - can ya dig it!

About a year ago I was totally against a Pixies reunion, but recently Ive changed my mind. It would be great to see them all together again, but would maybe have reservations about a new album. Saying that Neil Young has done it plenty of times so why not! Frank always releases quality, so what is to stop him from doing it again with the Pixies.

Edited by - Stuart on 09/10/2003 01:55:22
Go to Top of Page

Useyourname
- FB Fan -

185 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  02:46:24  Show Profile
Never have I seen an april fools joke planned so far in advance.

jimmy
Go to Top of Page

jo
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  04:29:35  Show Profile  Visit jo's Homepage
ah well, if only they'd caught on there was a DVD and Best Of due next year as well in their reports, would have been some good pre-publicity for them...

next week - The Cocteau Twins reform for a stadium tour in New Zealand, as announced on pirate radio in Brixton, the rest of the music papers catch up two months later

ahem hem :)
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  04:36:54  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
PLEASE NO! I HATE IT, I HATE IT, I HATE IT! Reunions suck and only serve to tarnish the dignity of bands.
Go to Top of Page

jo
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  04:39:41  Show Profile  Visit jo's Homepage
I was being sarcastic, in case you read what I said and thought it was true....

but if you were posting while I was then no worries...

but I do wish when they make their headlines they'd say "oh and there's a Best Of and DVD out next year" then it will stop all the people who STILL email us asking why its not out :)
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  05:00:39  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage
so jo, do you feel this is the truth?

-brian
Go to Top of Page

blackpurse
= Cult of Ray =

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  05:02:48  Show Profile
Ahhh.... Journalism 101 is coming back to me right now. I see absolutely NO attribution, no mention of sources. No "According to a statement released by [Pixies or FB's Management/Black/Deal/4AD Records]" no, "Black told the [Fill in name of publication here] that rehearsals were in the works for a world tour beginning in May."

The third graf begins:

"In April, the legendary Pixies will reunite for the first time in over a decade."

If I turned this story in, my journo prof would mark in big fat red crayon "SEZ WHO?!?!?!" and give me a big fat, deserved F. Then it says:

"The notoriously quarrelsome quartet have buried the hatchet, clearing the way for all four original members to hop onstage together for a world tour, according to a spokesperson for the band."

Wait right here. Who is this "spokesperson for the band"? If it were legitimate, we would have had a name for actual band members to follow up with if that person was indeed NOT a spokesperson. Plus, all the "Spokesperson" says here is that they have "buried the hatchet" therefore making it supposedly possible for a get together. THe "spokesperson" did not say that a tour was scheduled or that rehearsals were under way.

F. I agree with Stuasrt and El Barto. Some lazy copywriter at MTV "news" didn't do their homework and got fooled by an april fools joke (note that this world tour is to begin in, again, April). Guess Kurt Loder must be on vacation or isn't in charge of editing anymore. He really is a well-trained, responsible journalist (see his old writings in the 70s for Rolling Stone...but I digress).

"Sacred cows make the best burgers!"
Go to Top of Page

jo
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  05:07:17  Show Profile  Visit jo's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

so jo, do you feel this is the truth?

nope, I feel like its a huge great big veggie porky pie

veggie because I don't eat meat :)
Go to Top of Page

obmeZ
- FB Fan -

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  05:12:27  Show Profile  Visit obmeZ's Homepage
o.k. so like...I'm-gonna-be-jumping-out-my-skin!
fer-the-like... next 7 months!
I've been dying to see Joey and Dave doing something
musically since a Martinis show I caught a while back.
and....Bah BAAM! or Boom chicka! rather.
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  05:25:49  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
Frank Black Francis: You're an Idiot.

Blackpurse: Very well said.
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  05:30:15  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
sheamus, keep the name-calling at home.
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  06:12:31  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
I am at home.

I'm sorry, I just found your comment to be very narrow minded and full of cliche indie elitism.

By all means, if you have a good argument then please present it, but making such a sweeping statement without any explanation or evidence actually does make you come off as an idiot. I was unaware that there was a universal rule stating that whenever bands play reunion shows they are only "serving to tarnish their dignity".

I'd have thought that it would be a completely different experience for every single band that chooses to go down this path, based on an infinate number of variables that distinguish the circumstances surrounding one band's reunion to another's.

Of course, there are bands that do it for money, a shot at reliving former glory, whatever, and end up totally making fools of themselves. This is by no means the rule though, and in the case of the Pixies, I think we, as informed fans, are knowledgable enough to recognise that the circumstances surrounding this do not seem to reek of the "crappy reunion" sydrome.

And with that, I'll let you know that one of the greatest gigs I've ever been to was a Radio Birdman reunion show. If you don't know who Radio Birdman are, I suggest you educate yourself on one of the finest bands of the 70s, who were right up there with The Stoges and MC5. http://www.subpop.com/scripts/main/bands_page.php?id=381

Their show was one of the most amazing, rawest, insane gigs I have ever been to. It was definately the loudest. A bunch of aging guys in their late 40s-50s totally blew the shit out of every single pretentious young indie/rock band that I had seen all year.

I am quite confident that The Pixies would do something similar, probably even better.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  06:17:09  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
The throwing muses reunion wasn't bad at all

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  06:23:42  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
more pixies hysteria: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/03-09/10.shtml

John L. Ferrer and Will Bryant report:
There's that rare time when a sarcastic, jaded music news site has to report without any sarcasm or irony. Short of the Velvet Underground, there's no band more beloved, more important, more cited as an influence in indie rock than the Pixies. Whether you're strictly a Doolittle man (surely one of the finest damn rock albums ever) or an obsessive who can name every Trompe le Monde b-side, the Pixies' contributions to the alternative rock canon are sacred texts, the alpha cell of a paisley-flecked v23 flowchart that, down various impeccably typeset branches, might lead to Nirvana, to the Breeders, to Throwing Muses, Guided By Voices, Modest Mouse, Trail of Dead, or Enon.

Sadly, most of these revelations weren't made until after the band's prime. Since their reportedly messy and bloody demise in 1993, fans have signed on by the dozens-- based partially on the recommendation of Kurt Cobain, and partially by their desire to find something truly exuberant, legitimate, funny and weird in their music. Anyone born in the '80s might surely have at some point sighed and abandoned all hope of seeing the Pixies on stage at all. In a sense, the idea of a Pixies reunion has almost become a joke, the indie-kid version of "Yeah, when pigs fly." So when the report came in July that all four original members (that's Black Francis, Kim Deal, David Lovering, and Joey Santiago) have been secretly practicing together every couple of blue moons since the breakup, there was the first glimmer of hope.

Now that the heavyhandedness is past, here comes the point. The glimmer is now a full-blown supernova. It's happening. In April. No dates yet, not even any quotes from the group's principals-- just a band spokesperson's promise to MTV, who broke the story. The source, who remains unnamed in MTV's story, also claims that if all goes well a studio album will follow.

[b]The Pixies. Are back. Together. Music is saved. Lovers of rock, unite and cheer. This is going to truly own.[b]

-miked
Go to Top of Page

Dustin81783
- FB Fan -

12 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  06:31:55  Show Profile
well im excited about it, if its true.

:D
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  06:42:06  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
Hello there 1 poster.
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  06:46:52  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by frank_black_francis

PLEASE NO! I HATE IT, I HATE IT, I HATE IT! Reunions suck and only serve to tarnish the dignity of bands.

Right.There is no need for zombie bands.What is over is over and i wouldn't like the Pixies become another rock dinosaur freak show like Kiss,Black Sabbath or whatever...

www.munchienandalusia.too.it
Go to Top of Page

jo
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  07:01:16  Show Profile  Visit jo's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

The throwing muses reunion wasn't bad at all

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''

to be fair, it wasn't a reunion as such - they'd played one off gigs in Boston and San Francisco prior to the last album being recorded - it was money that stopped them being a band, and the need to support their families...

it never really felt like TM split up, they just stopped for a while...
Go to Top of Page

CaptainMaximus
- FB Fan -

126 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  07:03:19  Show Profile
Yes! This is fantastic news!
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  07:07:39  Show Profile
well one thing is for sure: 'we'll arrive either dead or alive'

R
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  07:12:04  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
Another idiot, brilliant.

quote:
Originally posted by mun chien andalusia

quote:
Originally posted by frank_black_francis

Right.There is no need for zombie bands.What is over is over and i wouldn't like the Pixies become another rock dinosaur freak show like Kiss,Black Sabbath or whatever...

www.munchienandalusia.too.it

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  07:12:52  Show Profile
cool, is all i have to say.
Go to Top of Page

Perhaps
- FB Fan -

133 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  07:16:16  Show Profile
this IS fantastic news. i dare any of you how are suggesting this is a bad thing, to actually not go to the show. if you don't go you are a bunch of idiots. FB has as much volition over whether he wants to cut SMYT, change his name, or re-tour and re-unite. to suggest your decisions might be the more proper. what is it...hogwash...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000