New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mkingicus
- FB Fan -

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  19:19:27  Show Profile
I know it's been said before, but I can't remember. And instead of sifting through countless threads, i figured I'd just post another thread that will take it's place in the back after my question is answered. What is the name of the man that was too loud. I know it's Johnny somethin', but I want to check him out and first name don't do any good in record stores. Thanks in advance to whoever answers.

M King

JamesM
= Cult of Ray =

308 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  19:34:33  Show Profile
Jonathan Richman. "Johnny was a rich man, yeah he still gets around, etc."

Jojo is awesome.

-Jimmy M.
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  19:36:13  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
I highly recommend "I, Jonathan" as an excellent introduction to the wonders of JoJo.
Go to Top of Page

mkingicus
- FB Fan -

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  19:59:07  Show Profile
Muchos gracias.

M King
Go to Top of Page

axel
- FB Fan -

Belgium
101 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  23:54:20  Show Profile
And what's his story? I always figured 'the man who was too loud' was about frank rejecting his pixie stuff. I used to hate this song.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  00:31:36  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
Ever heard of Egyptian Reggae?

My sister says it's a great record/song, she used to dance on it when she was a child

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page

axel
- FB Fan -

Belgium
101 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  03:40:55  Show Profile
nope, but I'm intrigued enough to google it.
Go to Top of Page

axel
- FB Fan -

Belgium
101 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  03:45:17  Show Profile
from an article :
Jonathan Richman is undoubtedly the coolest of the uncool in popular music. For three decades now Jonathan Richman has enjoyed cult status amongst the lonely, misunderstood, sentimental and sad romantics amongst us!
I already love the guy.
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  06:50:39  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
up to a few years ago, jonathan richman had a policy where if you were not satisfied with his show, you could ask for your money back. he is strange and wonderful.....a lot of weird stories about him; he followed lou reed for a year when he was younger for instance. there is no one that writes songs like him....who else would sing an ode to a dirty chewing gum wrapper in the street, or the trouble with finding a good pair of jeans.....he is totally unique and has been touring non-stop for 25 years. check your local listings, he manages to make his way around here every year.
in case you didnt notice, he and tommy larkins play the interludes in the movie, "there's something about mary"....
if you havent listened to him before, i suggest getting your hands on, 'the modern lovers', 'rockin' and romance', or one of those compilation cds you can get from rhino records....

Edited by - frank_black_francis on 07/31/2003 07:01:13
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  08:24:06  Show Profile
The first Modern Lovers album is fantastic. My first reaction was that the lyrics were incredibly corny. Then I realized Jonathan is genuine. Suddenly it all made sense.
Go to Top of Page

JamesM
= Cult of Ray =

308 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  08:50:38  Show Profile
Jonathan Richman is one of the few people who are truly 100% committed to music, and none of the bullshit that usually entails with it. Jonathan does interviews, but they're usually completely akward, unless Jonathan actually knows the person, or the person takes a genuine interest in what Jonathan does (kind of like an other artist I know of). He's funny, kind, and most importantly a grade-A songwriter.

The first Modern Lovers album IS great, but in my opinion, there are better albums out there (although I will admit, the first Modern Lovers album is one of my faves of his). Like Mereubu, I'd recomend "I, Jonathan".

-Jimmy M.
Go to Top of Page

Perhaps
- FB Fan -

133 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  08:57:39  Show Profile
Another nod to Jonathan Richman. He is very cool. Nothing special to recommend, I think all of the music is pretty good. As a fellow east coaster, I can say that the music is pretty true to the area. If you like the Boston sound (which if you are a member of this forum I would imagine you must to some degree), I think you'll like his stuff. It is witty and rocks.

I am not sure if the FB song is meant as metaphorical, but Jonathan Richman does seem pretty loud. For whatever that's worth.
Go to Top of Page

FrequencyOfGlow
- FB Fan -

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  09:29:22  Show Profile  Visit FrequencyOfGlow's Homepage
Check out the song "Roadrunner". It's with the early Modern Lovers stuff. You won't be disappointed.
His earlier stuff is very rock-n-roll. Almost pre-punk. Around 1977, his style shifted drastically. As punk began to catch on, he started recording songs like Ice Cream Man, which were very soft and melodic, almost nursery-ryhme-ish. Maybe that's where the Man Who WAS Too Loud reference comes in?

I like that lemur, I lick it. That's velvety!
Go to Top of Page

This Is It
- FB Fan -

141 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  12:43:37  Show Profile
I recommend:

Jonathan, Te Vas A Emocionar

One who does not experience the permeation of slander and who is not agitated by accusations can certainly be called 'enlightened.' Indeed, such a person may be called 'transcendent.
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  12:50:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by axel

And what's his story? I always figured 'the man who was too loud' was about frank rejecting his pixie stuff. I used to hate this song.

As a teenager, Jonathan Richman idolized Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground and would indeed "follow them around" whenever they played his hometown (the Boston area).

Later, he started a band called The Modern Lovers that attempted to infuse the noisy, distorted rock of the Velvets with a pop sensibility and an outlook that was out of step with the mood of the times (they lectured against drug use and praised the joys of growing old with grace and dignity). In 1971 and 1972 they cut a batch of demos with John Cale of the VU as producer and later tracked some with Kim Fowley (of The Runaways) behind the boards.

These demos were refused by the labels that requested them, but years later came out on the Beserkely label.

Unfortunately, by the time they came out, that lineup of the band (including future Cars drummer David Robinson and Talking heads keyboardist Jerry Harrison) had disbanded, in part due to Jonathan's strange and almost childlike regression (which included among other things, a newfound insistence on playing without amplifiers and only performing at hospitals, old folks' homes and schools).

The newer version of the Modern Lovers, was pretty much an acoustic folk combo that incorporated elements of Calypso music into Jonathan's pseudo-novelty songs about flying saucers, abominable snowmen, chewing gum wrappers and infidelity.

That lineup's debut came out only a year later, but people who adored the early demos – and had no concept that they'd sat on the shelf for something like five years – assumed the band had undergone a freakishly radical personality change and instantly abandoned their punky, garage-rock roots.

Jonathan has since carved out an enviable and lucrative career as a respected cult artist who usually tours solo or with just a drummer on snare and cymbal. He rarely plays his older, more rock oriented material, but in the past few years he has signed with Neil Young's vanity record label Vapor, and released noticeably more band-oriented albums produced by suich old-school chums as Andy Paley and The Cars' Ric Ocasek.

He no longer "needs the power, just to get his sound", and will forever be known to many of us devoted fans as "the man who was too loud".

It's one of my all-time favorite Frank Black songs, especially since those in the know will appreciate the fact that on that track The Catholics (and his backing band Teenage Fanclub on an earlier version) play and sound awfully darn close to the roiginal Modern Lovers.

Dig the downstroke...

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  18:22:46  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
i've seen him live 7 times in the past ten years, and he always played a hearty mix of all his work, including early stuff....
in case he comes to your town, GO SEE HIM!!! do not miss a chance to see one of the most unique and genuine acts in music today....he is remarkable to watch, and when he really gets going, puts the guitar down and dances for the audience....no one has seemed to mention it yet but, he is a wiz on the guitar! LONG LIVE JONATHAN!
Go to Top of Page

paintmeister
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  21:14:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mereubu
I highly recommend "I, Jonathan" as an excellent introduction to the wonders of JoJo.

I succumbed to the ways of the "mere" and bought "I, Johnathan". Which one would you suggest next?
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  04:28:41  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
MODERN LOVERS
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  05:36:02  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage
i really love "back in your life"

-brian
Go to Top of Page

chucksfan
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  22:33:44  Show Profile
FYI, Josh Frank, the man behind the Frank Black / Pixies musical also penned a musical based on Jonathan Richman -- entitled "The Man Who Was Too Loud"

http://www.teenageroftheyear.com/2loud.htm

See a preview on TV !

http://www.news8austin.com/shared/video/video_pop.asp?destlist=15462
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  07:06:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Perhaps

I am not sure if the FB song is meant as metaphorical, but Jonathan Richman does seem pretty loud. For whatever that's worth.

After his Modern Lovers period, Jonathan Richman said he wanted to make music that didn't hurt the ears of babies.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  09:55:10  Show Profile
I'm gonna see him live in about 11 days. I started a thread like this a while ago asking what Jonthan Richman album to get. I still haven't gotten "I, Jonathan." I haven't found it anywhere. Poo.

"I joined the Incredible Cult of Frank / Then I got pissed and turned green"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000