Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Zsolt G.
- FB Fan -

117 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  22:53:37  Show Profile
I thought I would start this, because, alas, I am one of the disillusioned outcasts. Just kidding...but I figured that well intentioned dreck deserves criticism too. As much as I understand the picks that were made for the official album, and I do like it, they seem just a little bit calculated. Some of the songs are more tributes than covers, and the ones that do deviate from the formula are, with the rare exception, still pretty predictable (Reggae version, Techno version). Again, I like the album, but I have to say that some of the B-sides are definately out there and have the weirdness that I wish was present in some way on the better performances/recordings of the album. Off the top of my head, I definately dig Pong's "In a little while", which is pretty accomplished, but his french accent had me in stitches. I also like that weird-ass Nick Drakey "Superabound" a lot. Our song was Western Star, but it's crap, so don't bother....and no, I'm not looking for pity.

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  23:10:19  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Thanks for starting this thread... I had sort of thought people would discuss the B-sides within the other thread as well, but having them separated is a good idea. There are definite tracks that stick out from the B-sides as being great, I never said it was an easy process - so I hope everyone checks them out. I can't imagine anyone thinking, "No, I don't want to hear some FB B-side covers". So, since I feel it's not my place discussing them, let's get the ball rolling...
Go to Top of Page

big_galoof
= Cult of Ray =

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  07:11:49  Show Profile  Visit big_galoof's Homepage
clootie's version of big red, with its dead-on beach boys harmonies, sends shivers down my spine every time i hear it!

i'm still working my way through the other b-sides - who'd have guessed that there'd be more of them than actual album tracks!

TBG
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  09:44:30  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
Ah, a thread for the jilted. Good idea! I'll get back to you all once I've heard all the b-sides...

I can't say I agree with all the choices for inclusion on the tribute, but it sounds great nonetheless and I'm honestly blown away by some of the talent evident in this project (both in the B-sides and on the actual tribute CD.)

anyway, i'll have more to say once i hear all the b-sides...

Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  14:11:37  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
I just downloaded the B-sides and haven't made it through them all yet, but I'm having a great time with them. Tim, that Big Red is something else. I really like your I'll Be Blue, but this is amazing. Cartland's Superabound is so pretty and creepy. I love Arthur's Fiddle Riddle--the vocals are savage! Pong, I would love to hear you do True Blue in French. M. Olin's Abstract Plain kicks ass Love-style.

Mostly what I'm loving about these B-sides is how many of them just take these songs to completely new places. Also, some truly wonderful, messy, risky vocals. Good work, you fabulous losers!

Edited by - mereubu on 07/19/2003 14:27:05
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  14:29:31  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by PsychicTwin

Ah, a thread for the jilted. Good idea! I'll get back to you all once I've heard all the b-sides...

I can't say I agree with all the choices for inclusion on the tribute, but it sounds great nonetheless and I'm honestly blown away by some of the talent evident in this project (both in the B-sides and on the actual tribute CD.)

anyway, i'll have more to say once i hear all the b-sides...

You were robbed. Your Speedy Marie is a thing of beauty.

Edited by - mereubu on 07/19/2003 14:38:08
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  14:51:37  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Yeah, I did enjoy that Speedy Marie... especially the bongos that came in around the 'juxtaposed' part. I like Superabound a lot, too, but it wears it's welcome by the second verse. Fiddle Riddle was another really close choice for the CD, and probably one of my favourites in the B-side category, and I loved the harmonica that Pong used in his track. And of course, Big Red was submitted specifically as a B-side and after the deadline to make it on the CD, but a great track as well. Other standouts for me were Adda Lee, Heloise, I Need Peace, Man of Steel (Noexx's version), and Sir Rockaby. Not to say I didn't care for the others at all, these are the ones that seem to stick out in my memory. Maybe I'll go back to them and make a more accurate list.
Go to Top of Page

parker_airspace
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  16:09:28  Show Profile  Click to see parker_airspace's MSN Messenger address
i'm starting to think maybe i shouldn't have rushed mine!............there's some cool tracks on the b-sides and on the album so well done everyone!

- was smashed head on by a giant truck :( - Chris
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  20:02:46  Show Profile
I only have clootie doing I'll be Blue... it is damn good.

I did BLD and I could do so much better... I just didn't have time to do what I wanted. I am impressed thoroughly much of what I've heard. This was an awesome idea.

thx D

ain't it
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  23:10:22  Show Profile
i wish i had time to finish my version of 'man of steel' but i couldn't do the vocals the way i wanted and had to leave the test ones i did and couldn't really mix and arrange the song the way i wanted to. i had to leave town before the deadline and was very busy with other stuff. oh well.....
ryan
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  02:29:37  Show Profile
i had a similar dilemia noexx, the wife of the guy with the studio had a 8.5 month pregnant wife wit' their 2nd child... I couldn't assemble a band, and I have been workin' my ass off... I'm ready for the Pixies challenge, and this time I want to amaze, (not be shit).

ain't it
Go to Top of Page

molin
- FB Fan -

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  21:33:43  Show Profile  Visit molin's Homepage
Let me take this opportunity to apologise for my singing. I stand by my refit of the vocal melody, though. However, my main regret is that I didn't put in the time to get the mix right. It sounds too quiet/muddled everywhere other than on my PC. I hereby promise to do better next time...
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  13:14:46  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
AveLimp's "Adda Lee" is arguably my favorite of the B-Sides. It's really something great...
Clootie's "Big Red" is quite a joy as well

mereubu- Thank you for the kind words! Its important to me that people can enjoy the track whether or not it made the final CD (which is quite the awesome compendium of tunes, I might add.)

Dean - my friend Stan who played drums had the idea of adding the congos to the track...I thought i might sound interesting to bring them in at that part of the song and through the end.

I can't say I particularly envy the numerous responsibilities that you took on in bringing this whole thing to fruition, but I commend you on your choices and I'm looking forward to the upcoming Pixies tribute. Awesome job, man. And awesome job to everyone else involved as well...makes me proud to be part of this forum.
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1995 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  02:29:15  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage
Everybody pretty much aknowledge that Clootie's Bid Red should be on the cd. I concur.
Too bad you didn't make it in time.
I also think that Cartland's Superabound should be on the cd since it's one of the best.
Pong's True Blue is great as well. But I think the drums part could be better.
I didn't listen to the bsides as much as the cd but Psychic Twin's Speedy Marie and Avelimp's Adda Lee (I know it's my band but the hell with modesty - by the way, thanx to everybody who said they liked it) could be on the cd as well.
Go to Top of Page

brank flack
- FB Fan -

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  18:47:16  Show Profile
hello i am new here. i have been to the frankblack.net before but not the message boards. my friend said i should check them out as i dont have dsl at home i am using my friends computer (as though you allc are). so i heard the tribute and the b-sides and now i am posting my funny reviews......so don't be offended.

black letter day – i have no idea what’s happening. sorry.
Fiddle riddle – one of yet another cover’s of live versions.
Adda lee – my high school band was cool too.
I need peace – ohhh man.
Superabound – emo kid with an acoustic guitar.
Big red – actually, you may not believe but I like this one. The bee gee’s rule.
Heloise – reminds me of the muppets band. Yes!
I think I’m starting to lose it – I always wondered what beefhearts version of this song would be like.
Dog in the sand gavin bachner – oh my.
Nadine – this guy again?
So. Bay – yes, believe it or not…..3 of him!
Robert onion – the demo’s return
Abstract plain – singing into a water bottle.
Dog in the sand noiwings – the replica of the hang on to your ego e.p.
Czar – yep.
If it takes all night – this is so now-a-days.
True blue – relax a little and listen to me.
Speedy marie – it’s tough starting a band these days
Western star – “I was too bored to put any effort into my singing”
Man of steel rent to own – wow…it must be cool if the beginning has an organ!
Don’t ya rile em – the legendary dudes with acoustic guitars tribute.
Old black dawning – why is everyone so bored when they sing?
Man of steal surf feast – turn it down……it’ll be okay.
Parry the wind high, low – was this recorded in 1975 or in the room down the hall on the far left past the bathroom?
Sir rockaby – if it didn’t drag so much I may like it…..but as you all know by now I love to hate it all. even if i really do like them.

==ted==

Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  19:16:42  Show Profile
truly constructive criticism! (sarcasm)
and i didn't use an organ at the beginning, but maybe i should have?
ryan
Go to Top of Page

blackpurse
= Cult of Ray =

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  05:34:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by noexx

truly constructive criticism! (sarcasm)
and i didn't use an organ at the beginning, but maybe i should have?
ryan

I still have to get this stuff downloaded and reviewed, but yeah, without even hearing the stuff I have to say I would have preferred some kind of constructive words. At the same time, we all have to accept that there will be some purists out there (I'd like to hear this guy's attempt myself) who will hate every song because it isn't Frank himself and a review like this was inevitable.

As a vocalist, perhaps I can explain why many of the tracks might sound like they're bored. Its not "bored". When I first started singing, I had that bored sound too. When one sings, especially rock and roll, there's an intimidation factor. I saw so many people post on the chat thread that they hated their performance, and many came out and said they didn't like their own voice. NOBODY likes their voice when they first start singing, and if you don't like your voice, how can you possibly belt out and put your soul and emotion into a sound you hate? I've mentioned in other threads that you should take up an instrument whose sound you love to do it. And when you're singing a song written by a guy who you already think is great, (and there's a shot he might actually hear your rendition), it gets, frankly, intimidating. It's taken me a long time to appreciate my own voice (And I have a ways to go -- geez, somebody mistook me for a GUY for pete's sake -- and I got all bent out of shape about that, instead of accepting what could have been construed as a compliment) and learn to use what it is for what it is, so kudos to anybody who worked through this and submitted a track and laid it out on the line. There's that old saying (which I believe in wholeheartedly) that "if you can walk you can dance, if you can talk you can sing", but we're not born walking and talking and we also have to learn to dance and sing as well, working our way through falling down and mispronouncing as though we were first learning to walk and talk.

The hardest part of any art, be it music, writing, painting, etc -- is that fear of criticism, that you laid out your sould and somebody comes along and disses it. We didn't get paid for this, we wont be recognized worldwide for this, this isn't going to do a darn thing for our careers. This was a labor of love which is why I don't believe those "bored" vocals were the product of that annoying gen-X bored and detached sound. There was too much soul going into this project for me to believe that.

Getting criticised is part and parcel of any artistic project, but I have to say, I have found that the worst criticism comes from those who don't have the balls to put their heart on the line themselves.

"Sacred cows make the best burgers!"

Edited by - blackpurse on 07/23/2003 05:37:01
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  07:35:18  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Yeah, it's true that this is not very constructive or the best way to go about it, and certainly we all wonder of all credits how they would fare if THEY were the ones making the song/movie/etc. Probably not well, otherwise they would be. But I think he was just trying to be humorous in a roast sort of fashion, so I don't take it too personally or seriously, and I wouldn't recommend that to anyone else. Perhaps if he'd already done a real view or used this as an addennum to one, it might be a little easier for some to take.

And I totally agree with Blackpurse on the vocals. Not that all the b-sides sounded bored by any means, or the a-sides for that matter, but you've really just got to dig in and, to quote a wise man, "Let go dreamed inhibitions". Hesitation kills any good vocals... sure, it's easy to not try hard or joke around with the vocals, because then when you get criticism, you can say, "I wasn't trying" or "I was just playing around", but then the vocals will never be good. Unfortunately, we ran into the opposite problem where people thought we were really joking around on our track, and while we obviously weren't taking it extremely serious, we thought it would be quite cool to have Elvis sing from the ether about Frank's visit to his home. But, c'est la vie.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  16:53:51  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
You do NOT sound like a guy, Blackpurse. The person who suggested such had cotton in his/her ears (no offense intended, cotton-ears!) whilst listening to your track.

Not that anyone asked, but my vocals sound "bored" because a) I didn't want to clip the microphone, and b) after doing so many vocal takes, I was bored. I think I've come a long way as far as the "hating-your-own-voice" thing goes, though I've definitely been there.

Lastly, I would LOVE to see the tribute album (most of it, anyway) get released on Frank's label, though it's safe to assume that'll never happen.
Go to Top of Page

Zsolt G.
- FB Fan -

117 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  21:01:38  Show Profile
C'mon everybody, I like the idea of outsiders criticizing the B-Sides...that means they're listening! And besides, what film reviewer is actually a filmmaker themselves? Take it with a grain of salt, people like to complain. I think it's funny
I was the “I was too bored to put any effort into my singing” guy on Western Star and I think that is actually a compliment. I can't sing at all, so for me to sound simply bored is an achievment! I have to agree with previous posters that most people, including myself obviously are just trying to get their way through the song without going off key or screwing up the lyrics. I did screw up the lyrics by pronouncing Noir- "Nore", instead of "No-are". I'd like to belt this shit out, but I can't sing the punk rock unfortunately.
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  21:24:31  Show Profile
i don't mind critcism. just because i may not totally agree doesn't make opinion wrong. he could have said way worse stuff about my cover but he didn't. anyways.....
i like everyones stuff, whether it be for my tastes or not, it's good to see everyone do something together.
we may not all be the best recording engineers, producers or musicians but we had some fun i imagine. i did.
we also probably don't all own hi-tech recording equipment and instruments........
alright...i may actually work on a real cover for the oft-mentioned pixies tribute....
are 'the navajo know' or 'blown away' taken? hehe.
ryan
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  22:59:00  Show Profile
quote:
black letter day – i have no idea what’s happening. sorry.

I know you are a real member assuming a fake name. MY recording sucks. I admit it. I'd like to hear more of what people think about me but that can't happen until I use a better set up which many people are HELPING me. I think my BLD shows potential.

So whatever...

Just cause I can't record doesn't mean I won;t fucking blow your minds. Argh.

Passenger rides

ain't it
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  23:46:30  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Alright, so let's get some track-by-track reviews going... any takers? I don't want to put mine in until a few others have started the ball rolling since I certainly don't want my reviews to seem like the last word or anything. They are, after all, going to be my opinions and quite unrelated to the decision making process for the CD. But if no one will get things rolling, I'll start things off in a couple days...
Go to Top of Page

parker_airspace
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  12:34:04  Show Profile  Click to see parker_airspace's MSN Messenger address
Hi, yez all!

I didn’t really want to have to review at all, but hey ho, I’ll start this off, and yes, I know it’s a bit rich getting a review from someone whos recording hasn’t gone down too well, but I’ll do it anyhow!

black letter day – if you listen under all that reverb, theres a bloody good vocalist. Only really let down by the recording.

Fiddle riddle – I think this is quite cool actually, its trying to be slick shit, just a raw live felt version, crappy recording, but with feeling.

Adda lee – cant offer any more than that I really really like this version, yeah the recording is a bit dodgy, but f*** me, you can see what it should be easily.

I need peace – OK, so the drums timing is a bit out here and there, and yet again the recording is not the best, but its solid and pretty damn good.

Superabound – Really love the guitar track, different and in a very good way, I’d love to hear you do this on an acoustic open mic night, and some of your own material. Give me some scotch and a packet of cigs, I’ve got an hour or two!

Big red – Brave Step, really inspired, and I think only you could have pulled this one off, really don’t know why this is isnt on the cd, but that’s just personal opinion! Pretty bloody good recording as well.

Heloise – Great voice, wrong song for it I think(!?), love the drum track, really clear recording for the ear too.

I think I’m starting to lose it – This song really does make me smile, I like it, cause I can see where you were going with this one, if it weren’t for the mix. Refreshing. And love the vocals.

Nadine – I love your vocals, do you do any acoustic nights or anything?, your voice really would suit it, (but who am I to say?) Solid, if not a little drawn out.

So. Bay – I really like this, comforting home done feel, yeah too much effects, but its cool. Bollocks to the recording, I like it how it is.

Robert onion – really quiet, no, really really quiet, but its all there. Love to see you live actually, if you do that.

Abstract plain – only thing stopping this is the recording…love the feeling you put into your vocals, and your voice is cool too, would be great if it werent for the amount of effects on it, and its shit when you tweak that chorus knob on yer guitar a tad too far, and end up with it sounding out of tune. Still f***in solid though.

Dog in the sand – I really like this, its pretty fine, and yep yet again the recordings a bit dodgy. So what? Does get a bit Shadows toward the end though.

Czar – Ok, I shouldn’t comment really, cause I dealt it, but I would agree the recording is a bit kak, that’s what you get for trying to do it at the last minute in a hour with no equipment. I still like it though, probably in the same way yer mum tells you youre beautiful though!

If it takes all night – ditto above! :(

True blue – very very very quiet, but really like the vocals. Cant really hear much else, sorry!

Speedy marie – I really like this track, its pretty cool, drum tracks a little tacky in places though.

Western star – nick cave vocals add a different slant to this song. Right voice, wrong song.

Man of steel rent to own – really appreciate the ideas behind this, inspired, but the recording doesn’t do it anywhere near justice.

Don’t ya rile em – Interesting take, but id love to hear it with more tracks on it. You have a really cool deep resonent voice, but this aint the song for it.

Old black dawning – ditto above, youd be better shifting keys up a bit, it would bring out your voice. No offence, just it would really sound cool. But who am I to say?

Man of steal surf feast – appreciate the idea, but I don’t really like this song in the pulp fiction styleeeeee. Sorry mate, but I’m usually wrong!

Parry the wind high, low – This is COOL, if it werent for the recording. I’d really like to hear your own stuff.

Sir rockaby – Its got that tom waits feel, which is not necessarily bad, I bet speeded up this is really shit hot! And up a key or two too.

I really really apologise if I have offended anyone, I hope not!, but this reviewing thing has made me realise a couple of points about this little project………There’s some F***in really talented people about, who have some fantastic inspiration, I’m sure the only things holding most of the b-sides up was the recordings, not the ideas or musical talent (in general), as opposed to some of the tracks on the cd which seem to be the other way around……sorry too, but just my opinion.

Also wouldn’t it be good to have an area in the ftp for members material, (actually, I think this may be unfeasible, or am I arguing against myself?), or even a page for members where they can leave links for their own music, cause listening to these tracks might not be able to make you realise these guys are really talented, but having access to their own music would bound to be able to provide you with some of the best new music/ideas/sounds. How about it?

Well done B-siders I’m proud to be here with you….. I can play and write, but I cant record to save my f***ing life!…………..

- was smashed head on by a giant truck :( - Chris
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2003 :  00:37:40  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
I like the idea of a track-for-track review of the b-sides. Unfortunately, I can't offer one right now because I'm on vacation at the moment (in Amsterdam at them moment, actually...aahahaha)

Rest assured, when I get back to the States, I'm gonna go back to the b-sides and submit a track by track review.
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  00:37:35  Show Profile
someone should have done Bad Harmony... maybe that's my song, or uh... Western Star... I shoulda did that... fuckin' shit.

I hate to brag about something I never did, but shit.

ain't it
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  00:42:01  Show Profile
thannk you Parker Airspace

seriously... it makes me want to cry what you wrote

ain't it
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  00:44:24  Show Profile
i'm not being over dramatic, sarcastic or an ass...

seriously...

I feel your words sink into my psyche...

I am touched

moved

struck

I felt somethin' when I read that...

fuck everything ever, but that was cool of you

thank you for the sample, you should see some of my videos

THANK YOU
sincerely
LBF
AP

ain't it
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  00:46:31  Show Profile
and who REALLY is cliche Mr. Brank Flack?

a la fuckin' noochies

aometimes I get paranoid and think Chuck is assuming fake names... how 'bout you?

ain't it
Go to Top of Page

AdamWest
- FB Fan -

20 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2003 :  12:33:20  Show Profile  Visit AdamWest's Homepage
Hey

Just wanted to let all of you B-Side guys know that I was sitting at home, downloading the b-sides thinking...man, that sucks they don't have their own album cover. I mean...if we're calling this group of tracks "B-Sides" than in a way it is its own entity and should have its own identity.

So, I made you guys your own cover because ya'll are so special. It will be posted here sometime next week. Look for it.
Bye

-Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2003 :  13:08:46  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Yeah, Ryan came up with this on his own and without me asking, which I think is great. We should have it and the b-sides page up by next week I think, and we're also going to do a blank tray card so you can add your own text to it and make your favourite compilation of B-sides and/or a-sides if you so choose.
Go to Top of Page

big_galoof
= Cult of Ray =

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2003 :  13:33:56  Show Profile  Visit big_galoof's Homepage
that's a great idea - i only wish that i'd thought of it first!

a frustrated graphic designer,

TBG
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2003 :  21:51:04  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Dave and the rest of you, I just got a copy of Thallasocracy submitted to me this weekend which I'll be needing to upload to the B-sides folder with the rest. I just wanted to let everyone know so they can check it out too if they'd like. Better late than never.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2003 :  23:26:29  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Alright, just to get things going, B-side reviews. I'll try to be mostly positive but still honest. I don't want anyone to get into "this is why it was left off the album", just a personal review, which means that it doesn't necessarily reflect any of the reasoning behind it being a b-side.

Andy Pleva- Black Letter Day
Andy & I went through a couple iterations of this track, and I can't tell you how much improvement there was in the course of a week. I like the idea of the noise and distortion as it fits with the somewhat distorted take on life that modern society has found itself in and the song deals with. Intentional? I don't know. That said, I think that the song needs more going on and that while the idea was great, it failed in execution and the SNR seems to be somewhere well below 1. The vocals are great in the lower range as well, though the higher end stuff needs some work, and again, buried behind too many effects.

Arthur- Fiddle Riddle
One of my favourite on the B-sides, and so very close to being on the album. The instrumentation is dead-on, the vocals are perfect for the tone of the song. A straight up cover done well. The drum timings are off on a quite a few occasions and generally sound pretty poor, as well as being a little too prominent in the song. The guitar is great but needs to be louder. It feels a little lacking in energy. But with a little more time, there's no doubt about the potential of this one.

Avelimp- Adda Lee
I love the intro in particular, but the rest of the song is well done too. I like the harmonica (?- sounds like a synth harmonica, but I'm not sure). Very much more moody than the original, and I'm all about moody. The vocals don't feel right, in particular on the chorus, but, as they say in France, c'est la vie.

Cartland- Superabound
This track was actually previously available on the FTP, but I thought it worthy of consideration for the album so I snagged it with Cartland's permission. A very sparse and moody song, and were it about half the length, it would improve greatly. I generally enjoy stuff like this, but it just seemed to go nowhere. Even if the chorus had changed a little bit it would have helped. But a great concept in general. Well done.

Eric Roberts- Heloise
You guys aren't going to believe me after awhile, but this was another really close one to making the CD. Good vocals but, as I think someone else said, I think they would have done better on a different track. Something seems a little off, maybe it's the chords or maybe it's the tuning. Or maybe it's me.

Floyd Merrick & The Body Pipes- I Think I'm Starting To Lose It
Great intro, and I suppose that if I was strictly trying to include token style tracks as some have accused me of, this would have been the token thrash/metal track on the album. The vocals are too buried, but I think that having a really angry version of this song in particular is a great concept, and with a bit more time you could've pulled it off. The screaming, as far as I can tell, is pretty impressive, and the ideas behind what you were going for are evident and impressive, but you just didn't pull it off. The drums needed to be quite a bit louder in addition to the vocals, for the energy you're looking for, maybe with more low end (kick/floor tom), and I think that double tracking a guitar in there would've helped give it more punch. The tone on the bass could be a bit more throaty too.

Gavin Bachner- Nadine
Gavin did this track for the tribute CD but since he had the other two kicking around, he also submitted them. In the interest of getting on with my life, I'm only going to review this one. Another rocker, and you can feel the anguish in the vocals. They were probably well done, but unfortunately hidden behind WAY too many effects. I think you could have pulled this off clean, Gavin. Musically speaking, there's nothing to complain about except that the chorus was a little lacking. I like the effects you threw in there (is that a helicopter I hear?).

Marshall Guthrie- Robert Onion
I love the intro to this one, too, and it's the only track that I still cannot resist getting on the keys and playing along with. A much more mellow version and an interesting take on it though as a pianist, I do miss the keys, which is probably part of the reason I feel the urge to hop on them again and again. I don't think the vocals are consistent with the tone you seem to be going for musically (or vice versa), which is not to say there's anything wrong with them.

Bronko- I Need Peace
Some of the best guitar work and vocals of the entire project. Great tone, great voice, this one has but one failing, and it is the drums. I have nothing but positive things to say otherwise. It was one of the first covers I received and the first to REALLY excite me about this project, even though the drums on the original version were quite a bit more off time. However, I suppose it's difficult to do the drums on a keyboard and you did a pretty good job considering, but I'd like to have your instrument/vocal mix plus the drum track separately. I think this song is worth editing the drum timings digitally (add space here, remove it there) to clean it up. Or if someone who knows their way around a drum kit were to have a go at it.

Molin- Abstract Plain
Alright, this might be one of the top introductions of the project, but it lets you down when the song kicks in. The vocals are clipped and quite distracting from what otherwise is a tasty track. I like the slight modifications to the melody line (ai-ehh-err) and I thought that you did a good job with the chorus. There are some other level issues, and I like the hinting at the intro in the bridge, and after. As well, the relapse to the intro is genius and is my favourite part of the song. I hope that you'll try something for the next one.

Noiwings- Dog In The Sand
This was actually a cover of Surf Epic back in the day, but I thought it worth including. Hence the lack of vocals. But quite enjoyable, at least to me.

Parker Airspace- If It Takes All Night
I'm leaving Czar alone since I think this was the better done track and since Czar has been done already. I like a lot of what the piano is doing during the verse (come on, who doesn't love saloon-era piano) but the chorus needs to be reattempted. The vocals are in the same boat, at times well done, at times in need of work. It seems that the song might have come a long way with a bit more practice/rehearsal. And the end where the drums pick up is pretty unconvincing. But there is a lot of potential in this track I think, and it's a shame it didn't get where you obviously had the vision to try and bring it.

Pong- True Blue
The lead in this version makes the song. It is irrideamably (I can't spell anymore) quiet throughout, and yet the drums are still too high in the "Other things have disappeared" part. I'm all about having French accented vocals, though, very unique flavour to the song.

Psychic Twin - Speedy Marie
Another close-to-album track, good vocals and some interesting work on the guitar. A good example of decent drums on the keyboard, and I quite enjoy the bongos in the midpoint of the song. I do, however, miss the whistle/flute that Eric interjects, and the vocals aren't my cup of tea. You should let go more, especially in the end, it seems a little like too much like you're recording and is unconvincing.

PU- Western Star
A rushed attempt, but potential is there. I look forward to seeing what these guys will do on the next one and a bit more time.

rent to own - Man of Steel
Exemplifies why I listened to each track at least three times before categorizing it even roughly. I was not too keen on it at first, but it grows on you. I love the organ in there, simple though it may be. It was actually a very close contender for being on the CD. Sparse and a lot going on all at the same time, clearly a lot of talent behind this one, though the recording (especially vocals) was a little bit of a let down. I like that wallowing lead and you also do a good job keeping the vital components of the original and mixing with your take on it. Of course I miss the percussion at the end, but the reintroduction of the organ almost makes up for it. A great track.

The Ex Team- Sir Rockaby
Too loud and distorted/clipping all over the place - especially the drums - but a well done track. The harmonica may or may not send me in search of a towel every time. The vocals are quite possibly up there in the top three for all time favourite, just on a personal level, I really like your voice. The track just came off sounding a little rushed/haphazard, and it would have been nice to see a bit of other stuff happen other than the harmonica.

Robert Onion- Old Black Dawning
I'll do this one since it was the first to be submitted to me. The vocals are, let me say straightaway, not my cup of tea in any way. Not that you can't sing, but it's not for me. I do like the ending, but feel pretty bored at that point, and the guitar could use a little work. I think your version of Don't Ya Rile 'em was better. Still, you do pull off the folky sort of feel I think you're going for here, so well done on that.

Surf Feast- Man of Steel
Intentionally low-fi, and I do actually like this instrumental version of it, but it obviously is missing a few key components we were looking for for the tribute CD.

Surface Noise- Parry The Wind
I was supposed to go to bed early, but here I am trying desperately to wrap these up without short-changing the last tracks. I apologize if this is happening. This is another track that had the energy to do well as a heavy rocker, but the vocals don't quite take it there. Well done on the guitars, is that you, Jop? I like the little break around 1 min 1:15, something like that. The drums need to be a bit more prominent, and could use some work which is probably why they are buried. I miss the bell in the chorus. The distorted vocals were an unfortunate choice, but the end makes up for it I think. Just wait until you get that new keyboard and add some high tinkle bells and vibes to it.

Clootie- Big Red
Nothing I could say could tell you how much I love this cover. Tim you have an incredible voice and an insanely creative mind and a whole crap load of musical talent. Negative stuff? Ummm... I was hoping for some embedded euphemisms that can be detected when played backwards, but I have yet to find something. Oh, I suppose the one thing I didn't care for were the backing vocals at 2:10 or so. Just felt forced in there. But I do nitpick out of necessity.

Anyway, there you go. I really didn't want to do it because I get the feeling I've upset enough people more than I ever wanted to as it is, but I think you all deserve some feedback even if you completely disagree with it, so there you are. If I came off sounding especially negative on any one track, I apologize, it's been a long day, week, and two months. Most of you had great ideas but seem to have run short on time to pull it off, or maybe just energy. But the potential is there, and I hope to see you reach it on the next one. Thanks for participating.

Dean
Go to Top of Page

Cartland
- FB Fan -

Iceland
78 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  00:48:33  Show Profile  Visit Cartland's Homepage
Hey, this whole thing is great. Thanksalot to Dean for making it happen and all the other people for contributing their work.

I know we are all vulnerable musicians, so some of us must have been hurt not making it onto the cd; also by some negative reviews. But hey, those are just covers, so who gives a damn? Not a big deal, really. No reason to dislike Dean; he's done a great job and he's actually one of very few individuals with the drive to make things happen. Kudos to him.
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  01:18:22  Show Profile
"rent to own - Man of Steel
Of course I miss the percussion at the end, but the reintroduction of the organ almost makes up for it. A great track"

screw you for calling it a great track....how evil of you!
actually, i wasn't upset at all for not making it as i really only put a few hours into my attempt before i had to stop working on it. i didn't feel i would deserve to be on there anyways. dean and company did great for putting their spare time into this. hope the next one goes well and i will be glad to try another cover and hoepfully i won't be touring or something and will be able to work on a real contender. heh.
i'll be doing a review of the "cd" and the "b-sides" shortly as i enjoyed all the .mp3's i downloaded. hope people didn't hate mine too much.
ryan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000