Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  20:59:50  Show Profile
i just dowloaded the fb covers. i've only listened to a few so far but had to post. fuckin awsome!! solid shit. i absolutely love the accordion on czar. it sounds like everyone is having so much fun playing these tunes. i wanna learn how to play an instrument. i want to do a cover. any advice? i know it takes alot of time and work to craft but i'm young- only 31. what instrument should i start with? i've always thought about getting a guitar and taking guitar lessons. but maybe the accordian would be a better choice? who wants to come to winnipeg this summer and give my wife and i lessons? or do you think frank would ever hold a band camp? that would be fuckin awsome. (they might have done this on the simpsons?) listening to s.o. bay right now. i wanna rock!!

thanks to everyone who put this together. great job cult of frank. thanks. you've made my night/week/summer. i think i'm gonna change my username to "cult, cult of frank."

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  21:04:32  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by fumanbru

i think i'm gonna change my username to "cult, cult of frank."

Nice... I say go with it. Of course, you don't accentuate your legendary drinking ability (for which you are renowned on this board as of my last post), but you do accentuate your membership in my (now) three person cult. Welcome.
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  21:47:07  Show Profile
how about "cult, cult of frank and beer."
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  23:19:14  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
How about just Cult of Cult of Frank? Beer, though important to the cult, is not to be elevated to equal status with the all-powerful CoF. See page 3 in your "So You Wanna' Join A Cult" manual.
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  07:19:41  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
Don't get a guitar, it's nothing but trouble. Did you know that 1/4th of the population of the world plays guitar?

Learn to play something interesting like a Hurdy Gurdy or a Therimen. You'll get more gigs that way. Harpists make a lot more than most string players because they're a rarety. Yeah, learn the Hurdy Gurdy and take the music of Frank Black to the Orient.

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

blackpurse
= Cult of Ray =

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  07:39:26  Show Profile
Don't listen to A4C. (no offense, 4AC, just have a strong difference of opinion). I didn't pick up a guitar until I was 30, either. I have been in four bands since, toured england with one of them (before we pulled each other's hair out in a catfight worthy of a Miller Lite ad).

I played clarinet for most of elementary and high school. I was first chair until I hit high school, and I honestly believe I sunk to last chair because frankly, I'm not in love with the sound of the clarinet, so I didn't give a damn, became last chair, and ended up sitting next to this really good-loooking trumpet player (also last chair ) in High School Band, and together we discovered a love of Devo. (ah, but I digress...) I think I'm an adaquate (as in, I won't blow anybody away but I could fumble through lead playing and I have!) guitar player, but many have complimented me and my playing and songwriting ability. Why? Because I LOVE the sound the guitar makes, that's why. (I married a guitar player for chrissakes, a smokin' one at that.) Especially electric guitar. I'm a crappy acoustic player, progbably because I don't love the sound enough to want to be good at it. I am a crappy clarinetist for the same reason.

If you love the sound of the guitar, by all means, pick it up and learn to play it. Choose an instrument you LOVE. Don't choose an instrument that you only passingly like the sound of (but was in vogue or in short supply at the time) because you will only passingly want to play.

That said, I think guitar really lends itself to songwriting and self-accompaning one's singing. I don't think any other instrument is as useful for songwriting except for the piano, but guitar is a heckava lot more portable. I highly reccomend "The Guitar Handbook" for beginners, it's basically an enclopedia of everything one would need to know (including your basic and advanced music theory) that is a nice reference even for experienced players.

"Sacred cows make the best burgers!"
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  09:33:50  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
French horn.

And should your handle be 'fumanbrew'?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  10:03:31  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Yes... if there was one instrument I'd like to be able to play (aside from guitar) it would be the French Horn. The most beautiful sound in the world.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  11:37:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by fumanbru

how about "cult, cult of frank and beer."

How about "cult, cult of frank and beans"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  12:25:13  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Now that I could go for... an entire cult dedicated to the art of flatulent foods.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  12:27:36  Show Profile
or "cult, cult of frank and stein"
Go to Top of Page

blackpurse
= Cult of Ray =

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  13:04:04  Show Profile
Actually, the original post on this thread reminded me of the Simpsons episode where Homer goes to "Rolling Stones rock fantasy camp".

Just think: Frank Black and the Catholics Fantasy Camp! I have visions of participating in a "How to Play Guitar and Dress Like Rich Gilbert" workshop or a "Scott Boutier on Millinery" seminar.... or Frank himself delivering the opening plenary, titled: "Live to 4 Track Recording in 48 Hours or Less"

"Sacred cows make the best burgers!"
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  13:10:24  Show Profile
I could see attending a Dave Mac workshop on "How to Look Silly When Playing Bass". He's quite accomplished, so it should be good. The swaying, the white man's overbite, he's got it all. Even I could host on workshop, on "What to do When Scott Throws His Stick At You". It would involve a lot of crying and being held back by security as you try to kick Scott's ass. Mid-drum solo. Alchohol mave been involved. Swiped that blue cowbay hat right off his head! (at least, I should have...) Don't come back to Sask. Scott, I'll git you mo fo.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  13:36:35  Show Profile
Helllllo, fumanbru said frank and beer and I said frank and stein, thats funny, I don't care what you guys say.
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  13:40:48  Show Profile
AHAHAHAHAHAHAH, frank and stein, that's GOLD!

Better?
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  13:46:38  Show Profile
I sense a little sarcasm there.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  14:07:41  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
<Wonder Years-esque voiceover> Mike? Sarcastic? Was she serious? She didn't know it and either did he, but at that moment, Carolynanna and Speedy M were closer than...

Still, I'm going to ask you to cease and desist, Carolyn, lest the forum be filled with name leeching groupies (hence the reason I don't use my real photo on my bio page). :)
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  14:12:29  Show Profile
Actually Miss Anna, I did find it funny, but I'm not one to post a "haha" or heaven for fend "lol". Not my style. Plus, I'm not some one word post whore. Yes, the above post was sarcastic, but in a loving, caring, "you have visible stink lines" sort of way. You're still tops in my books!
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  14:41:59  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
Aw, lay off of McDave! He's fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  14:58:44  Show Profile
Ya, he's fun to watch. Cause of the goofiness!
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  15:02:47  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
Don't let ramona catch you badmouthin' the McDave, speedy. She'll beat the crap out of you.
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  15:03:52  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
On a different note, I will bring my violin to band camp. Y'all wanna hear me play Dust in the WInd?
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  15:18:53  Show Profile
I ain'ta 'fraida 'mona. She can stop singin' and start bringin'. Then we'll see who the gets the crap kicked out of who. (still probably me). I wanna here you play Dust in the Wind, but I want you to "Frankify" it by 12% or so.

On a different note, I just picked up Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy and it's tasty.
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  16:13:27  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
Fun! I need more Who. I only got some kind of greatest hits thing. Shameful. That and the movie soundtrack to Tommy on vinyl. <shudder>

Dust in the Wind could use some Frankification. I do a mean Pictures of Matchstick Men too.
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  21:22:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Carolynanna

Helllllo, fumanbru said frank and beer and I said frank and stein, thats funny, I don't care what you guys say.

carolyanna,

very funny. i would say genious funny. and no sarcasism. you should copyright that line.

thanks for the tips on the instruments. i do like the sound of the french horn and i am french so i may have an inate talent. but then again i don't think i would be big on blowing on something all day long.
Go to Top of Page

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  06:37:17  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Atheist4Catholics

Did you know that 1/4th of the population of the world plays guitar?

No way?!? Where did you hear that? There's no way one in four people can play guitar. Maybe one in four people know the E chord but I'd like to see some proof. Unless you were being sarcastic in which case I'm a gullible fool and will crawl back under my piss stained rock.

Your darling critic
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  16:04:30  Show Profile
You know Carolyn, "Frank & Stein" is a great name for an FB fesitval. Live FB and beer. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by - speedy_m on 07/19/2003 16:05:46
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  08:10:06  Show Profile
I better run out and get me a patent.
Go to Top of Page

AdamWest
- FB Fan -

20 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  08:38:52  Show Profile  Visit AdamWest's Homepage
Hey man
Glad you dig the accordian on our track. If you're itching to learn a new instrument I would definitely suggest bass or guitar. If you want to learn the accordian I think it's better to buy one and just play around with it. But to set out like "I'm gonna learn the accordian and that's gonna be MY instrument." You may be on the road to frustration. Because the guitar is common it's easy to get help and pointers from friends who play. You can go far with tablature and just teach yourself. For me it was even more rewarding...knowing I didn't take any lessons. I think a lot of people learn that way. Play along with songs you know and love..it'll be more inspiring, fun and keep you going. Maybe you play Hurdy Gurdy to start, but you can always branch off and do your own thing down the road. I started learning on the bass which I found was a little easier for me. It's got fewer, bigger strings...and is simpler to learn than a bunch of chords. It can get you used to playing by ear and getting a feel for using your hands in a way that's probably very foreign for you if you never held a guitar (it was for me.) I didn't start playing until I got into college, but I had always wanted to. Another reason for learning the guitar is because chances are much of the music you listen to has guitars in it. Unless you're a huge accordian fan you'll be more satisfied being able to emulate all the songs you listen to on a daily basis. Also, the guitar is kind of a "gateway instrument". Learn to get around on it and you'll find it's easy to play a little accordian, play a little piano, play bass, etc. Pretty soon you're your own band.
Good luck

-Ryan
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  12:52:55  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
I ain't hearing anything bad about McDave. Where's my can of whoop ass when I need it?

Edited by - ramona on 07/21/2003 12:53:16
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  13:10:44  Show Profile
You and McDave can go to McDonald's and order a can of Mcshut yo' mouf. And then when I walk away after having whuped your sweet patoot, you'll say "damn baby, can I get some fries with that shake?".
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  13:18:30  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Sure thing, chicken wing.
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts