Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  00:20:34  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Alright, so rather than grow the existing chat thread into another 50 pages, here's where we'll all discuss You Ain't Me, the Frank Black tribute album put together here on FB.Net by members of this forum. The CD should be released tomorrow, July 15/03, as promised, as soon as Dave has it available on the FTP.

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  07:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
Well, since I've already heard all the masters and all the B-sides I'd like to start this thread off by saying what a fabulous job Dean has done. I agree 100% with his selections including the tough decision to include his own track. There aren't any B-sides that I would even argue about.

I like Adda Lee a lot because it's got a lot of attitude and I love that they don't sing the outro - it's implied. I bet that one was close to getting in, but it's not quite as developed as the masters.

Another close one in my mind is Cartman's "Superabound". When I first listened to this I thought it was pretty good and probably better than some of the winners until I got to the third verse and the song still hadn't gone anywhere. If Cartman had developed his ideas a bit and changed the track up towards the end I think he would've made it. A very cool B-side nonetheless.

As for the masters, my favorites would have to be "Doggone", "Pure Denizen", and "I Could Stay Here Forever". I think the arrangements on these are very clever and very slick. "Cold Heart of Stone" is also a favorite. I'd say it's probably the most professionally done of the lot. The over-gated guitar and background vocals are outstanding. I'll wait to comment more specifically until everyone's had a chance to digest the tracks.

Finally, I must commend Ryan on his amazing graphics. You really made this project look and feel legit. I voted for your robot cover way back when, but I never expected you to build on the idea so fantastically in the other panels. I love the broken plastic on the inside back and the robot model kit idea on the tray card. If you aren't making serious dough as a graphic artist, you should be. This album art can stand up against anything in my CD collection and is probably better than the majority of FB's designs.

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  08:13:50  Show Profile
First of all, to eveyrone who submitted tracks, great job. This project was truly a labour of love and I think a fitting tribute to the man, as we all contributed something we put a lot of time and effort into. The quality of many of the tracks is truly amazing, and the talent of many of the fb.net members is clear.

On the album, my favourite songs of the momment include "So. Bay", which sounds really incredible, and I honestly think could make Frank bring this one back live. Their concept of playing So. Bay the way the Catholics would today (with pedal steel guitar, etc.) is great, and they pulled it off superbly. Great vocals as well, obviously, as this lass sang back up on SMYT. How jealous am I? Retarded jealous. I hate you echo park, and great job! I Could Stay Here Forever as well is a favourite, a wonderfull job of doing something new while retaining the brilliance of the original. A classic "put your own spin on it" sort of cover. Makes me wanna shake my thang. The tone on the lead guitar of "Cold Heart of Stone" is remarkable, it's like they sampled it directly off of BLD. Wonderfull job by Jim Reed and his group. I'm sure A4C won't point it out, but his track is another standout, really epic and very well done. Not to mention the mastering sounds GREAT, and really improved the overall quality of all the tracks, as well as making for a cohesive final album. Great job Tim, you desever many kudos.

Ryan.... wow. I saw the CD yesterday in it's print form, in a jewel case and I must tell you, it's fantastic. It's one thing to look at a .jpeg on the net, it's another to have a living document in your hands of someone's work. And you did a fantastic job of the it. The cover and back work really, really well together, and it all looks really professional without looking cheesy or overly slick. Not to mention the theme works really well with FB and the idea of the tribute CD.

Deano.... sure, he complained bitterly (not on the forum of course, just to me), but thanks to you for your hard work and 600 email per day reply rate. This was not an easy task, but I think you did a great job, and everyone will be very pleased with the results. You get a thumbs up from me. Which in Roman times meant certain death, so take that for what it's worth.

I look forward to seeing everyone's comments on everything, and I hope everyone who downloads it posts a comment here, I'm really curious about what people think of it. Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  08:41:07  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Indeed, although I've thanked them many times personally, I should say thanks to Tim & Ryan for their fantastic work. Both were really easy to work with... they knew what they were doing, and so I generally just let them go to work and rarely had anything but glowing positive remarks for everything they sent back to me. In the rare cases where I thought a change might help things, they were more than happy to oblige or discuss it and come up with some alternate suggestion that took the best from both sides. I would love to work with both of these individuals again and have enough trust in either that I would ask them to do work on my own upcoming CD without hesitation. Tim is also working on a CD currently, and I took a great deal of time from that for this project (including, as Speedy mentioned, a fantastic cover of I'll Be Blue which is probably tied for my favourite song at the moment, and an equally fantastic Beach-Boys-esque B-side of Big Red). If you want to check out his band, go to mp3.com/clootie. Ryan is now working on his portfolio as well, and put that to the side for this project, but he's also interested in working with new and upcoming bands (provided he likes their sound - great attitude) for artwork. And he ALSO found time to contribute a track (#3) to this compilation, Czar, which is quite a different and tasty spin on the original.

Finally, to all the contributors, thank-you so much for all the time you put into your tracks. It is clearly evident, and as I've told several people privately, the commercially avaiable Pixies tribute album doesn't hold a candle to what we have here today. It was difficult, but in a pleasant way, to decide which songs needed to be on the CD, and thank-you also to those who contributed a B-side. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has (or will) compiled a smaller B-side CD as well and put it in the disc changer with You Ain't Me.

And of course, I'd like to thank Mike for helping me out with some of the decisions and somehow managing to put a track together too.

Let's see, who am I forgetting? Ah, yes, the Academy. And Dave, for really getting to work quickly on the corresponding webpage which should be coming up tonight with the tribute album.

Enjoy, and bring on the comments.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  08:46:53  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Oh, and I've given advance copies to all contributors and our FrankBlack.Net webteam, so feel free to get the ball rolling guys and gals.
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  09:27:48  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address
Wow. Fantastic. I really wish I'd put more effort into my "Headache" now, to keep up with the other guys! I'm actually very surprised I made it onto the cd, the standard was very high going from all these other tunes.

I don't have all the FB records yet, so hearing some of the covers was a new experience for me, I'll have to get the originals very soon..

I'll Be Blue, Cold Heart Of Stone, Odd Balls and I Could Stay Here Forever are my faves, but they're all great. It's scary how close some of the singers get to Frankie every now and then, intended or not!

Put me down for that Pixies tribute cd, Dean.. I'll use live drums this time, promise..

edit: Just got hold of Clootie's "Big Red" off the B-sides section.. as a huge Beach Boys fan those vocals almost made me weep, extreme kudos...

http://www.nimrods-son.co.uk

Edited by - Doog on 07/15/2003 09:36:48
Go to Top of Page

Retch
- FB Fan -

Ireland
64 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  09:52:20  Show Profile
hmmm......dean, i can't for some reason access your ftp, is it offline ?

This ain't no holiday.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  10:30:40  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
If there are too many users, that could be the problem...

Nope, I just logged in no problem. Must be your settings. Double check that you have the login/pass correct (see the email) and make sure you have the right address. You should've received an email from me with a correction.

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 07/15/2003 10:32:21
Go to Top of Page

makeyourheadgopop
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  13:58:52  Show Profile  Visit makeyourheadgopop's Homepage
I would like to say that I feel about this-> . <-this big. The amount of talent in this community is ridiculous, and I feel very honored to have been included. It will take a while to absorb, but some favorites upon my first run through:

so. bay - This has to be my choice for best renovation. Choice.

oddballs - I say this is the best frank tribute / let yourself shine through. The vocals are great... This version made me want to go see his band.

dog gone - My cup of tea. Beautiful, stark interpretation.

pure denizen - Another tribute that hit home with me. I love acoustics.

how you went so far - excuted well all around. i love the vocals and the jazziness at the end

whispering weeds - I love the way you worked in "where is my mind". solid version.

Thank you to Dean for offering advice on recording and being so encouraging. This compilation makes me desperately want to work on my ... skills? as a producer. The artwork is just great. It makes me smile. Robots? Frank? I dunno, I like it. Thank you to everyone else who did the mastering, or somehow had a hand in putting this together. I agree, you guys have really done a great thing. You showed up the official Pixies Tribute. After I listen a few more times, I'll make more detailed comments. I really, sincerely dug every single track, which is astounding.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  14:12:57  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Yeah, Whispering Weeds was the natural choice for a closer - going into Where Is My Mind (and flawlessly I might add) hints at the next tribute CD to come. Plus I love the duality of the heavy and dramatic "I'll Be Blue" followed immediately by a bouncy "Whispering Weeds" in a The End/Her Majesty sort of a move. And it bookends pretty well with Headache/His Kingly Cave (though I don't mean to compare our track to Tim's).
Go to Top of Page

big_galoof
= Cult of Ray =

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  14:27:45  Show Profile  Visit big_galoof's Homepage
uh, have i been out of the loop or something? i'm logged in to the FTP right now, and see no evidence of the tribute album - music or artwork. where'd you folks do your downloading from?

TBG

visit the big galoof's frank black trade list here:
http://www.mediablazedesign.com/tl/tradelist.htm
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  14:59:31  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
The show should be available as soon as Dave get home and puts it online. Right now, the only people who have the CD are those that contributed to it and FB.Net staff, but check later tonight for it.
Go to Top of Page

AdamWest
- FB Fan -

20 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  15:29:04  Show Profile  Visit AdamWest's Homepage
Dean I didn't get the official "CD Contributor Email" telling me where to find the tracks. Write me man...before it gets flooded tonight!

Oh and to all the nice comments on the art so far...thanks a lot. It was fun to do.

-Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Zipperrock
- FB Fan -

25 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  15:33:08  Show Profile  Visit Zipperrock's Homepage
I contributed and I didn't get an email? What's up with that COF ? :)
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  16:09:20  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Crap... sorry guys... I've sent you both emails. I knew my email list wasn't up to date, but I thought I had all the contributors on there - and certainly my artist. Email coming your way now.
Go to Top of Page

Zipperrock
- FB Fan -

25 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  16:17:05  Show Profile  Visit Zipperrock's Homepage
Thanks Bud !
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  18:27:49  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
im listening to this for the first time, it sounds so awesome man. im only a few songs into it but i had to post something. im really impressed with how all of these turned out. i REALLY like white noise maker derek, the vocals sound really good, what do you use to record them? great job to everyone though, the few ive listened to all sound great and i expect the rest to!

-miked
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  22:11:07  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
I've had the chance to listen to the album twice the whole way through...and I have to say, it is definitely well done. I was excited to hear all the tracks, and opening with a HOT version of "Headache" (a song I really don't like in the first place, but this version blows me away), I knew this would be good. I haven't had a chance to sift through all of the B-Sides, but I shall soon. I'd also like to type up a proper review. I had a top 5, but after listening again, I'm not sure which 5 are my fav!

---------
FRANK BLACK SATAN WORKSHIP BLACK MASS
Go to Top of Page

miguel
- FB Fan -

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  22:23:51  Show Profile  Visit miguel's Homepage
Where should I go to get the songs? I never got that info..
thanks!
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  22:26:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mdisanto

im listening to this for the first time, it sounds so awesome man. im only a few songs into it but i had to post something. im really impressed with how all of these turned out. i REALLY like white noise maker derek, the vocals sound really good, what do you use to record them? great job to everyone though, the few ive listened to all sound great and i expect the rest to!

-miked

thanks. glad you like it. i'm very impressed with many of the songs on this tribute, and I feel privileged to have made the cut because you guys have put together some awesome covers. Headache, His Kingly Cave, So Bay, Cold Heart of Stone, I'll Be Blue, etc. All excellent.

I used a Shure SM57 to record the vox. I used a preset in my 8track, which was mostly a compression deal I think. And I had a bit of delay (and reverb) on my voice. I had a crappier vocal track I submitted the day of the deadline, then I redid that one in about 5 takes and I was so glad because I hated the other one.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

miguel
- FB Fan -

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  22:26:51  Show Profile  Visit miguel's Homepage
nevermind.. I fooooound it! coolio.
Go to Top of Page

miguel
- FB Fan -

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  23:57:26  Show Profile  Visit miguel's Homepage
The CD art is awesome.. I'm sold! I love the back especially, it rocks.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  08:20:39  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Hey, thought i'd chime in and let everyone involved in this know that i think they did an outstanding job!!

All involved musicians did an phenominal job, and i was blown away from track one. (I actually feel really bad that i never did a tune now! Ahh well, leaves more room for you guys. =)

It's probably getting to the point of being embarassing, but props to Tim and Ryan for their amazing efforts with the mastering and CD artwork, respectively.

And of course, Dean, Mr Cult_Of_Frank, wins the FB.net Teenager Of The Year Award for most outstanding effort and contribution to the website! Muchos nachos, amoeba!

(And a quick thanks to the kind, anonymous member who donated $100 to the effort, it'll be put to good use.)
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  08:48:57  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Well, this is such an unexpected honour, I don't know what to say... <pulls out speech>.

Thanks.

<puts speech back in pocket>

I'm just impressed with how many people have downloaded it so far... 400,000+. :)

I want to know if anyone has any problems printing the art or burning the disc. The tracks are appropriately spaced for listening as MP3s but you should burn with DAO (Disc At Once) and 0 second pause between tracks (or 0.5 crossfade to eliminate additional MP3 space and make the transition from Czar to I Will Run all the more tasty, as well as others).
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  08:51:41  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy
(And a quick thanks to the kind, anonymous member who donated $100 to the effort, it'll be put to good use.)

i.e. a Canadian Hooker and a six pack of Molson

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  09:06:49  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank
I'm just impressed with how many people have downloaded it so far... 400,000+. :)

400,000??? how is that possible hah. perhaps 20,000 people downloaded each song

-miked
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  09:44:20  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Dave updated the fake counter on the homepage to generate a random number of people who've downloaded the album so far. Last time I popped by, it was like 425,000, which I found extremely amusing for it's ludicrousness. I mean, 350,000, sure that's believable and probably even a little low, but 425k? A little stretch.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  10:55:32  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
The number never changes, only the text. =)
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  12:21:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

I want to know if anyone has any problems printing the art or burning the disc. The tracks are appropriately spaced for listening as MP3s but you should burn with DAO (Disc At Once) and 0 second pause between tracks (or 0.5 crossfade to eliminate additional MP3 space and make the transition from Czar to I Will Run all the more tasty, as well as others).

As I had mentioned in a previous post, I have had lots of difficulty in playing back most MP3s I have downloaded successfuly from the Frankblack.net FTP site and all I have downloaded successfully from Dean's (Cult_of_Frank's) personal FTP site.

For some reason, when they show up, they have a quicktime MP3 icon and the correct suffix, and look exactly the same as any other MP3, but neither my iTunes, or MacAmp will recognize the files. It says they are in an unknown format and will not allow me to convert them to AIFF or WAV.

A few people on this board suggested it might be a problem with the CODEC that was used to encode them, but I don't know if that's the case, or how I could overcome that on my end. By and large I'm able to successfully play back and import almost any other MP3 file I've ever found on the web, so could it just be that my computer is rejecting Frank's music?

Does anyone else (using Macs or otherwise) seem to be experiencing the same sort of problems?

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  12:23:32  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
I've got an eMac and have had no problems. What kind of FTP program are you using?
Go to Top of Page

big_galoof
= Cult of Ray =

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  15:24:29  Show Profile  Visit big_galoof's Homepage
i'm listening to the tracks as i'm downloading them now, and all i can say is - wow! what a collection of talented, driven individuals! a great selection of songs, terrific production value - and i haven't even looked at the artwork yet! congratulations to EVERYONE who was involved with this project - it really stands as a testament to FB's creative genius and the profound impact it has had on each one of our lives. i consider myself a fairly creative guy, but this just blows me away! i'm sure FB will be very pleased to hear these songs - this is his legacy, and it will be a lasting one i'm sure. BrendanT is right: be proud.

john
the big galoof

Edited by - big_galoof on 07/16/2003 15:27:45
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  17:58:41  Show Profile
The real test of this tribute album would be if Frank Black would buy a copy if it were sold in stores. Though he'd probably get a free one instead of having to buy his own music.

So anyway, I need to review this album when I get a chance. Maybe I'll do 5 songs at a time.

-Derek

Edited by - ProverbialCereal on 07/16/2003 17:59:24
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  20:32:59  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
I still haven't gotten to listen to it all the way through, uninterrupted. Also, I've only heard it on my car "stereo" (2 battery-operated computer speakers & a CD walkman velcroed to my dash) but I'm enjoying it immensely. Thanks for this, guys and gals. I can't wait to download the b-sides.

Someone should do an all-accordion tribute. I'd buy that sucker in a heartbeat.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  20:52:16  Show Profile
That stereo sounds high-tech!

I guess I shouldn't complain about my tape deck/CD discman/tape converter thing I have going in my car. My speakers are stinky too. I can't get the bass/treble levels right. grrr. Tim, could you remaster my car stereo?

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  21:04:45  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
Lol. Oh, it's a pitiful sight, but my car's as old as you are, Derek. If I were to buy even the crappiest stereo to replace its burnt-out one, it would probably be worth more than the car itself. Our personal property tax on our two ancient cars (whose combined age is greater than either of us) was $15 for 2002.

BTW, I really like your track. You perform in a manner befitting one with the title of Tabmaster.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  23:02:22  Show Profile
I know what you mean. I don't know if it's worth it to put a 200-300 dollar stereo into my car since it has 160,000 on it. I might just put in a record player. you know how hilarious that would be if someone installed a record player in their car? You probably would have to remove the entire passenger seat just to make room for the records and the player. Or how bout a juke box? Now THAT would be a happening car.

Ok, I'll review So Bay now.

At first I wasn't too thrilled with the vocal track, but I like it alot now (as Dean said to me, it grows on you). I especially like the "Yeahhh" at 2:50, and her vocals sound really great in the outro. It's a soothing ending with some smooth guitar fills. That crisp acoustic guitar sound you achieved is also quite grand.

After hearing this a few times, I wished their were more female singers on the tribute! Where were all the ladies on this one? But seriously, this cover is fantastic.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000