Page: of 2

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2003 :  08:59:01  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
April 12, 1996 - Madison, WI, Paramount Music Hall
April 26, 2002 - Little Rock, AR, Juanita's Cantina Ballroom
December 2, 2002 - Little Rock, AR, Juanita's Cantina Ballroom (billed as solo but w/Dave P. & Scott)

Deepest apologies to my fellow patrons at the Madison show in 96. It was an all-ages show, so you had to go into this little lounge and listen to a really crappy band if you wanted to drink. I kept drinking waaay too fast before the FB show so that I could escape the crap band. Anyway, I'm the obnoxious person who kept yelling "Duke of Eaaarrllll" between every song. Sorry.

Note: I have boots of both LR shows.
Go to Top of Page

franktaper
- FB Fan -

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  14:17:06  Show Profile

[/quote] hey- are you who i think you are? give me a clue.
[/quote]

I could send you a recent picture if you had an e-mail address. Feel free to send your addy to matthewjames26_at_yahoo.com

franktaper

Go to Top of Page

Useyourname
- FB Fan -

185 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  02:27:52  Show Profile
Well I know I've been to his Philly shows in 2000 and 2002 and I saw him at the stone pony in 2002. So I've been at two shows el barto has been at, one mdisanto hsa been at and two zan has been at.

jimmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  21:09:46  Show Profile
Ummm...let me see. I can't recall specific dates, but some of you may recall these shows...all in Southern California, by the way.

Nov 1998 - Coach House, San Juan Capistrano
Nov 1998 - Foothill, Long Beach
Dec 2000 - McCabe's, Los Angeles
May 2001 - Coach House, San Juan Capistrano
May 2001 - Troubador, Los Angeles
Dec 2001 - Mint, Los Angeles
Jan 2002 - Coach House, San Juan Capistrano
Apr 2002 - Galaxy, Fountain Valley
Jul 2002 - Glass House, Pomona
Jul 2002 - Coach House, San Juan Capistrano
Apr 2003 - El Rey, Los Angeles

I may be missing one or two..usually I have a better memory. Interesting notes: First 2 shows had Frank, Dave M., Rich, and Scott (only shows I've ever seen them perform I Switched You).
McCabe's was an accoustic show with Frank, Morris Tepper, Dave P., and (!) Lyle. Frank was in great spirits. I refer to this show as the Frank Black Comedy Jam.
Coach House May 2001 was the first to have all 5 Catholics together (that I saw).
Troubador 2001 ROCKED! A drunk guy jumped up onstage and hugged a terrified Frank. Also played the Marsist as closing number.
The Mint 2001 was another plugged in/unplugged accoustic show with Morris Tepper, Nick Vincent (!) on drums, and Eric Feldman on (!) bass. A very weird show. No one seemed to be having much fun onstage.
Coach House Jan 2002 was Frank solo with Dave P. (who was looking VERY Christopher Walken-ish). During Nimrod's Son, at the end when Frank shreiks, the lights flashed on him in quick succession which caused me to laugh.
Galaxy 2002 was a rippin' show. But Rich was not present. Dave P. proved his worth on guitar many many times this night. A perfect show with a three-minute standing ovation.
Glass House 2002 was another sublime experience. The Catholics had concreted themselves (in my estimate) as a comfortable motley crue. However, Rich was again not present. My brother and I spotted Eric F. wandering around outside before the show and found his demeanor to be quite hilarious.
Coach House 2002 was a catastrophe that went well. Scott B. didn't show, Eric F. was very late, McCaffrey came on stage half way thru, but the icing was David Lovering filling in on drums! A happy accident of a show!
El Rey 2003...heaven!

Can't wait for the next one! Anyone else see any of these same shows? Let me know! Oh yeah, the first time I saw Frank, I met him afterwards and he hugged me!!! Very cool. Another time I talked to him after a show, he got angry with me because I had him sign a photo (unlicensed) and a promo of DITS. This irritated him that I owned these! Hilarious!
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1462 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2003 :  04:09:48  Show Profile
1. April 13, 1996 - Minneapolis, First Avenue (Drove down from Winnipeg with about 8 friends)
2. October, 1998 - Chicago, Metro (Flew from Winnipeg with my bro.)
3. April 2, 2003 - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Le Rendez-Vous (15 minute drive. Thanks for coming to the peg!!)
Go to Top of Page

franktaper
- FB Fan -

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  14:11:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mereubu

April 12, 1996 - Madison, WI, Paramount Music Hall
<<cut>>
Deepest apologies to my fellow patrons at the Madison show in 96. It was an all-ages show, so you had to go into this little lounge and listen to a really crappy band if you wanted to drink. I kept drinking waaay too fast before the FB show so that I could escape the crap band. Anyway, I'm the obnoxious person who kept yelling "Duke of Eaaarrllll" between every song. Sorry.

Note: I have boots of both LR shows.

I remember that show somewhat. I wore a flannel shirt because it was still a bit cold outside and of course once FB&TC's started it was so hot and crowded in there that I took it off. My friend Jason W. was being body passed and I don't think Frank liked that too much ("Mosh But Don't Pass The Guy"). You're right about the bar being in back. It was behind the stage and you had to be 21 to go back there. I don't recall if there was a band in the back part of the bar or not but Johnny Polonsky opened the show for Frank (I stayed in the bar during his set). I can't remember what songs were played but since it was Cult of Ray era I seem to remember Kicked In The Taco was played. I've read that there's a tape of that show but it's VERY poor quality. Maybe I'll track it down just for nostalgias sake. I still have my ticket stub I don't remember anyone yelling "Duke of Eaaarrllll" so I'll take your word for it. That space (The Paramount) is now some sort of non-affiliated Christian church and the building is for sale.
Lineup for that show was: Frank, Lyle W., Scott B., and Dave Mc.
Ah good times....

Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  06:41:27  Show Profile
1996 St. Louis - Galaxy (Lyle) highlights - a drunken Jonny Polonsky fell on my girlfriend
1998 St. Louis - Blueberry Hill (Lyle) highlights - all wore black suits, except Lyle who wore a gold one. The guys in the band kept looking at me strange as I was in the front row singing along (yes, I'm a dork) to the as then unreleased (in the states) FB & the C's album
1999 St. Louis - Karma (Rich)
2001 St. Louis - Galaxy (Rich & Dave) highlights - introduction the steel guitar at live sets - ahhhhh...
2003 Indianapolis - Can't remember the name of the place? Highlights - Best FB show I've seen. James M., you should have drove. (Rich & Dave)
Go to Top of Page

FranknWeezer
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  08:30:58  Show Profile
You guys make me (and my 3 FB shows since '94) sick.

-FrankWeezer, from nowhere near where FB likes to play
Go to Top of Page

Lex
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  14:09:57  Show Profile
1989 Pixies Glastonbury
1990 Pixies Guildhall Portsmouth
1990 Black Francis Borderline London
1990 Pixies Brixton London
2002 Frank Black and the Catholics Astoria London

if my dates are wrong please let me know.......Lex
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  14:16:05  Show Profile
You had to wait 12 years betwee shows? Yikes... I'd go nuts.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000