All of the tabs suck
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spunXtain
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  15:12:37  Show Profile  Click to see spunXtain's MSN Messenger address
Ok.. you should really change the "tab section" to "chord listing section"

All of the songs are like this: (Not exact, just an example)

Bm E F#
I met a man, he was a good man, Sailin and.....

Ok i know that means B minor, E, and F sharp.. but that pretty much leaves me right where i was to begin with. Where in the fuck is B minor? What is the finger positions for that?

I want tab like this (again not exact)

4|---7--7--7----------20---------------
5|---7--7--7----------10---------------
6|---5--5--5----------8---------------

I met a man... He was a good man....

or at the very LEAST, you should put (at the beginning of each document) the finger positions for EACH chord (not just some, as I've noticed some songs have a few of the chords in this method).. I can play pretty damn good but i dont know the names of all chords nor do i really care,, and when i read tab i want to know WHERE i need to put my fingers, not what letter of the alphabet i'm playing.

I'm lost and I am lonesome to the core...

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  16:25:29  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Here's a site you should check out to get the basic chord shapes:

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/guitar/index_db.html

They also have piano chords on there.

Plus, I don't think it's really that fair to say the tabs suck. Try playing an instrument like piano and see what you get for music. Not to mention you can never really hear as clearly what the piano is doing in a song like say Robert Onion. But, I whine... there's always Chip Away Boy. :)
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  17:06:30  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Uh, well if you don't know the chords, then maybe you should stop playing and learn them. They are like, the basis for music. We're not going to cater to those who don't know how to play guitar when we put up the guitar tabs. They're for guitar players.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  17:09:52  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Aye, the chords there are the BASICS of guitar playing, and to list each chord for each song would be a real drain, sorry.

I've noticed if there's some wacked-out chord (D#m7) they'll list the fingering, but even then, it's really the most basic process to figure out.

Bm is not anything out of the usual, and should be as familiar as C or E. Sorry if that makes things more difficult for guitar newbies, but you should know A-G, major and minors, sharps and flats.

It's like riding a bike and getting confused when trying to change gears..it's really simple and logical, but you need to understand the process first.

Maybe we should have a 'FB Chord Sheet'?
Go to Top of Page

spunXtain
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  18:12:54  Show Profile  Click to see spunXtain's MSN Messenger address
yes i will not go as far as to say the tabs suck, because they are very good and all...

it's just i wish that they tabbed each chord in the song. I am not a newbie at guitar at all.. i can play very well and have been in several bands that have played in shows to several hundred people, i just dont really give a shit what chord it is im playing lol

Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  20:44:13  Show Profile
One of my best guitar buddies is the same way as you. He is awesome at guitar, but he really doesn't know chord names except for the basics. This befuddles me, but somehow he has written over 50 songs and he is very talented on guitar. In fact, this is the guy who got me interested in picking up a guitar. I don't think he has ever in his life used tabs though. He taught himself, and has figured out songs on his own since day one, including Frank Black songs.

Anyway, if you are good on guitar, and have been in bands, seems like you could figure out some songs on your own, or at least buy a chord book because it takes 10 seconds to look up a B minor. Frank has alot of songs in B minor so you might as well get used to at least that chord. i.e. - dog gone, los angeles, steak n sabre, etc.

If there is any chord out of the ordinary, I will tab it out, like Dave said. Sometimes I don't even know if I name the chord correctly because i can't find it in any chord book. Then I have to tab the chord or else people would be confused.

One more thing, then I'm done... tabbing out songs like the way you suggest takes 5 times longer than just putting the chord name above the word.

If you can read tablature, then there is no excuse for not being able to look at a guitar chord book, memorize the chord, and retrieve the formation with your memory when you see it above the word.

FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

1. Look in chord book for B minor formation.

2. Memorize it. (cheat if you need to by writing it on the palm of your hand)

3. Go catch up on old Strongbad emails.

4. Pick up guitar and get the tab of the song you want to play. You see the chord says "B minor." Now all you gotta do is remember what it is.

If you were a beginner, I'd probably have more sympathy for you, but dude, c'mon.

Derek
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  20:58:13  Show Profile
http://www.chordfind.com/
Go to Top of Page

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  22:28:48  Show Profile
i've sworn by chordfind...good site
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  23:06:32  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Aye, it's silly not knowing the names of chords.

It's annoying as hell when you're jamming with someone and they just look at you like they're mute when you ask what they just played.. Oh. That's called "C#". Thanks.

Learn the language, it really does take 10 seconds, and playing guitar will make a lot more sense.
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  03:42:49  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
it takes about 10 seconds until you join your high school jazz band and every chord is like half diminished sus2 13th chords that change on every beat

-miked
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  06:23:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Chip Away Boy

i've sworn by chordfind...good site

Yeah, it is. I've been playing for 6 months or so and all I do is get tabs and practice songs. I'm not taking lessons. I just look the chords up there and practice. For 6 months I think I'm doing pretty well.. I mean I'm no Chuck Berry or Rich Gilbert but you know.. not everyone can be. But yeah, you should know chord names.

One thing that does confuse me as a beginner is choosing what form to play the chord in.. this probably sounds dumb but for a long time I was playing Where Is My Mind's C#m as an E barre chord with the rest of them.. but then I was like "oh well thats really dumb" since it is closer as an A barre chord.. though I guess I am getting less confused now that I know which chord is which in A barre form..
Go to Top of Page

spunXtain
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  20:00:16  Show Profile  Click to see spunXtain's MSN Messenger address
yes i can figure out alot of it myself its just nice to have tabs to rely on too. :) thanks for all of your guys help instead of being jerks and flaming. The guy who makes these tabs is really talented and i am sorry i said his tabs suck. I will in fact make a thread on that now.

Go to Top of Page

Chroneos
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  10:10:52  Show Profile  Visit Chroneos's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ProverbialCereal

3. Go catch up on old Strongbad emails.

bwhahahahahahah, but I'm lookin' at a thing in a bag right now.

-Ben
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  18:59:13  Show Profile
Derek rules.

"Snooch to the muthaf**kin Nooch"
Go to Top of Page

Dinsdale Piranha
- FB Fan -

24 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2003 :  20:26:56  Show Profile
Can somebody tab the Strongbadia national anthem?
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2003 :  22:06:16  Show Profile
Can you download that from the download section? Or was that just in a Strongbad email?

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  04:29:15  Show Profile
tabs are funny as hell....just listen to the song.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000