Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 what kind of guitar did joey santiago use?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wasteofo2
- FB Fan -

43 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2003 :  22:11:24  Show Profile  Click to see wasteofo2's MSN Messenger address
Hello, I'm a giant fan of joey santiago and i always wondered what kind of guitar(s?) he used to obtain such a unique sound. On guitargeek they say he used a les paul but if he did he must have used some funky switching options cause his sound is not very les paulish. so bassically if anyone has any information on his guitars, switching options or anything like that i would really appreciate it.

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2003 :  02:14:43  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
The few times I have seen him live, he played Gibson stuff, electric and acoustic, high-end valve amps (Soldano/ Marshall)and a variety of effect pedals. I'm probably over-simplifing, but it's freeking 4 am: Get a nice reverb/tremolo stomp-box to put between a guitar that can switch between a dual and single-coil pickup setup and any amp that has tubes. Turn up to suitable volume. An Ibanez analog delay and a cry-baby wah would be icing on the cake....Experiment!... Have fun finding out what you want to hear......
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2003 :  09:00:57  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address
LP Goldtop live mainly, used loads of axes when recorded, spesh Doolittle- I think Here Comes Your Man had like 4 different guitars on it.

And you must take the cover of the bridge 'bucker. Makes all the different ;)

http://membres.lycos.fr/alec/gear.html

Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2003 :  09:47:29  Show Profile
hey doog i feel pretty stupid asking this especially if im wrong but are you the same doog from the jag-stang.com forum?
Go to Top of Page

wasteofo2
- FB Fan -

43 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2003 :  20:24:43  Show Profile  Click to see wasteofo2's MSN Messenger address
THATS HOW HE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I knew it, I knew it all along. He couldn't have possibly made all those sounds from stock les pauls or a 335, I knew it I knew it! THE LITTLE MOFO HAD HIS GUITARS ELECTRICALLY OUT OF PHASE THE WHOLE FRIGGEN TIME!!!!
"Although he made use of delay, tremolo and distortion, the Pixies' man claims the mainstay of his sound came from two simple tactics: swapping between pickups and rolling down the tone control.
What, nothing else?
'Oh yeah,' he teases. 'Changing the colour of my lead!'"
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! thank you so so very much doog.

Edited by - wasteofo2 on 03/30/2003 20:27:05
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2003 :  21:30:31  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
I remember reading somewhere at some point that Joey would let the pickups on his Les Paul rust to get a different, "better" sound? I don't remember exactly what the outcome of doing this was, but I do remember reading it.
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2003 :  03:32:52  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address
Yes, I am THAT Doog. Who might you be "Nimrods Son"?
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2003 :  06:03:17  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address
You SURE Joey had his guitars wired out of phase? Doesn't seem like the sort of thing he'd do. I've had no problem getting Joey sounds out of a stock LP..
Go to Top of Page

wasteofo2
- FB Fan -

43 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2003 :  13:54:47  Show Profile  Click to see wasteofo2's MSN Messenger address
well he said that he switched the colors of his leads, so I would take his word for it. Are you telling me that on your les paul you can mimck the sounds of songs like Santo, Hey, oh my golly (the background lead part), Tame, Vamos and Alec Eiffel?
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2003 :  14:57:13  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address
I play in a tribute, and our "Joey" uses a LP straight into his Fender HotRod Deluxe (or Deville, I forget) and its close enough. We've just come out of the studio, and we used my Marshall for his parts to get the sound that little bit more authentic. Sounded spot on. Lotsa of treble, some middle, not much bass, and not too much distortion- its all in the way Joey attacked the thing.

Like I said, Joey didnt use just a LP when recording, he used all sorts of guitars. Listen to a live recording and it sounds like a normal LP.

I dunno if I misunderstood you, but isnt the "changing color of my lead" bit just a little joke, referring to the lead from his guitar to amp?

Edited by - Doog on 03/31/2003 15:05:13
Go to Top of Page

wasteofo2
- FB Fan -

43 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2003 :  15:32:18  Show Profile  Click to see wasteofo2's MSN Messenger address
Yeah, you did misunderstand me. When he said he switched the color of his lead i thought he meant his lead wires. Humbuckers have 1 (sometimes 2) lead wire, which is(are) supposed to be the one(s)that send the actual signal to the amp. then they have 1(or 2) ground wires, which is (are) supposed to be grounded. The wires of pickups are all different colors so you can easily tell which is supposed to go where. If you take the lead wire and ground it and wire the ground wire as a lead your pickup becomes electrically out of phase and you get a very different sound. To me that explained how he got such a uniquye sound because out of phase pickups are weaker and more upper mids focused and generally sound kinda single coiley(ish?). to me that explained how he got his signature sound but it amy have been what yuo said. I've never played any high end gibson les pauls through marshalls so i guess i don't really know if stock they could sound like that but i jsut kinda assumed they couldn't.

also, if you read the articles on the page posted easrlier he says he used only les pauls and a gibson 335 with a bigsy. Perhaps he grabbed franks guitars on occasion but he also says that he didn't wanna use a tele because it would be pointless and redundant since frank allready used them, and he said how he loved humbuckers as well.
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2003 :  19:16:57  Show Profile
[qoute]Yes, I am THAT Doog. Who might you be "Nimrods Son"?[/quote]

I think I'm agf516 but i don't know because I really haven't posted there in a LOOOONG time because I found this website, but it's the best website I know of for help on guitar-related stuff.
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2003 :  19:18:05  Show Profile
ok i did those quote things all wrong there somehow, oh well
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  01:44:27  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address
Sorry dude, I think you're wrong. He just means, literally, his guitar lead, as being part of his "tone". It's funny. Ha.

Besides, the crap inside guitars is "wires" not "leads".

Edited by - Doog on 04/01/2003 02:32:10
Go to Top of Page

wasteofo2
- FB Fan -

43 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  06:25:04  Show Profile  Click to see wasteofo2's MSN Messenger address
yeah i know that the things in guitars are called wires. But they are also known as "hot leads" and "ground wires"
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  08:45:23  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address
lol i can't believe we're arguing over this...
Go to Top of Page

wasteofo2
- FB Fan -

43 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  20:52:11  Show Profile  Click to see wasteofo2's MSN Messenger address
It's not really an argument, just a discussion.
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  13:14:30  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Doog

I think Here Comes Your Man had like 4 different guitars on it.

Yes, yes it does! I recorded it the other day in a studio type place. There is the lead that plays through, and then thats doubled up (I tripled it) in the solo, and the distorted guitar that comes in half way through the first verse. I used a Strat for all, so it doesn't sound just like it, but it will do. I don't have Les Paul!
Sorry, but I've been doing it for about 3 weeks now and I'm glad I could release and share :P

tom

Edited by - misleadtheworld on 04/05/2003 13:15:24
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  04:06:04  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address
heheh..its pretty nuts. In the "wa-ooooo" bit, theres so many guitars, its impossible to play it live in a 4 piece without session musos...
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  08:11:10  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage
I like the Joey lead on the Purple Tapes version of Here Comes Your Man. It's more rustic, or something like that (I've never been good with words ). Is Mr. Black using a 12 string acoustic on that do you think?

(oh and sorry for going off topic )

tom
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  03:14:11  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address
I think its actually a double tracked acoustic with lots of room reverb.
Go to Top of Page

killmocker
- FB Fan -

Japan
41 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  16:51:31  Show Profile
Just another tidbit:
Joey once claimed taking the covers offa his pickups and exposing them to more dust improved the sound.
Go to Top of Page

Visiting Sasquatch
= Cult of Ray =

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  14:47:30  Show Profile
I read that Joey got commission from music shops everytime someone had to replace a guitar that was ruined from rusted and dusted parts.
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  15:52:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wasteofo2

Hello, I'm a giant fan of joey santiago and i always wondered what kind of guitar(s?)

Everytime I saw him it was Goldtop Les Paul through a Marshall stack or two. A few years ago he auctioned off the Marshalls (in their Anvil flight cases with his name and the Pixies logo spraypainted on them) on eBay. They were supposedly in great shape and had been around the world a couple of times. Surprisingly, they didn't go for much more than you'd expect a regular amp and flight case to...

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

thecomeons
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2003 :  06:48:01  Show Profile  Visit thecomeons's Homepage
joey's original goldtop was leant to him by kim. it's now a breeders guitar. i think he used it right up until the end of the pixies.

i read a transcript of the radcliffe interview frank did and he said that the pixies had two live set-ups - one for europe and beyond and another for the americas.

my manta is a ray
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2003 :  09:41:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by thecomeons

joey's original goldtop was leant to him by kim. it's now a breeders guitar. i think he used it right up until the end of the pixies.

i read a transcript of the radcliffe interview frank did and he said that the pixies had two live set-ups - one for europe and beyond and another for the americas.

my manta is a ray

This is indeed correct, it was loaned to him by Kim and he did take the humbucker covers off to expose them to dust. How Kim felt about this i am not sure, but hey it could have been worse, she could have lent it to Kurt Cobain !

Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2003 :  09:46:17  Show Profile
Kurt never played Gibson, he didn't like them. Everyone knows that. Silly.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2003 :  10:06:42  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
<in mocking voice> Look at me, I know stuff.

Pretty sure he was just saying a little dust is better than smashed into an amp. :)
Go to Top of Page

thecomeons
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2003 :  12:19:04  Show Profile  Visit thecomeons's Homepage
yeah. pixie dust.

my manta is a ray
Go to Top of Page

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  05:25:39  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address
Didn't Joey have a sponsorship deal with Gibson?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000