New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1036 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  16:25:57  Show Profile
"Rooosebud..."

I couldn't resist that. Okay. I was wondering if there's anyone who knows the area...is there a place to hang out in walking distance from the joint? Thanks.

Maybe I'll just bring a book...

I really love how the board thanks me everytime I post. It makes me feel like I have a friend.

cheers

Edited by - El Barto on 03/23/2003 23:06:14

makeyourheadgopop
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  22:36:30  Show Profile  Visit makeyourheadgopop's Homepage
I was going to make a roadtrip, but it's 21+....

Son of a bitch... I am 20... all my friends are in their mid 20's, I am graduating college in a few months, and I'm not allowed to see Frank?

What a bunch of horse shit.
Go to Top of Page

Nate from Virginia
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  09:35:22  Show Profile
I'm traveling to Pittsburgh for the Rosebud show, and I'm told the venue is in the heart of the Strip District, the 'hip' area of the city just north of downtown. tons of bars, restaurants, and shops.

though I usually distrust planned showtimes, according to the Rosebud site (rosebudstage.com) doors will open at 7:30 and showtime is 8:30 -- seems very early for a Saturday night, with only one opening act.

here are a few websites on the Strip District that might help:
http://www.neighborsinthestrip.com/
http://www.nauticom.net/users/ata/strip.htm

cheers... and too bad about the under-21 guy.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  13:47:41  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Well, the Bennies were just added yesterday as opening act for the next 3 shows (columbus, pitts, cinci).
Go to Top of Page

gimmedead
- FB Fan -

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  15:19:12  Show Profile  Visit gimmedead's Homepage
yes there are a LOT of places to hang out around the rosebud. it's in the strip, which is a conglomeration of shops and coffee houses and restaurants and everything else you can think of...just like someone already said. i'm making the trip to the show as well, and if you'd like to say hi, i'll prolly be wearing a studded leather jacket.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1036 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  01:45:08  Show Profile
Thanks all for the responses. It sounds like there's plenty to do around the area; I'm sure the time will fly before they get on stage.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  07:40:18  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage
hey all - see you at rosebud tonight - look for me, i'm about 6'0 wearing glasses and probably green courderoy pants and carrying a messenger bag.

as breathing flows my mind secedes...
Go to Top of Page

novice422
- FB Fan -

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  10:37:24  Show Profile  Visit novice422's Homepage  Click to see novice422's MSN Messenger address
ugh, it's really 21+?! crap, i was so set on going. . .

hi, everyone, by the way, it's my first post. :)

-zoe

sincerely,
the novice
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  11:56:14  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage
sorry zoe, it is 21+

luckily i have a pretty good fake ID i'm HOPING will work (it gets me into every other Pittsburgh bar)

welcome to the boards!

-Brian

Go to Top of Page

novice422
- FB Fan -

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  14:57:01  Show Profile  Visit novice422's Homepage  Click to see novice422's MSN Messenger address
oh well, hopefully i'll get another chance sometime. . .thanks for the welcome. . .

-zoe

sincerely,
the novice
Go to Top of Page

ben_ethus
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  22:00:45  Show Profile
Greetings, blokes.

Just got back from the Franky show at the Rosebud, here in rusty ole P'burgh, and I must say it was a hell of a time. Great show. Sorry to those who couldn't make it. At the very least, you can take comfort in the fact that I was there, and had a fabulous time. Those who were not in attendence this evening may feel free to live vicariously through me... :D

Even though I get the distinct impression that gimmedead, a good buddy of mine whom I met at the show, is going to post up a complete set list in the near future, I feel that I would be remiss if I didn't give a brief summary of my thoughts on the show. So, here they are, in absolutely no order whatsoever (except for whatever strangely random pattern my brain decided to send them out in)...

a) Franky and Crew played quite a few Pixies tunes this evening... They even started out the entire show with "Where is My Mind," and through the course of the night played "Mr. Grieves", "Monkey Gone to Heaven," "Holiday Song," "Nimrod's Son," "Gouge Away," and I'm pretty sure there were some others that elude my mind at the moment.

b) They also played a number of songs I had never heard before. I'm sure since most of you guys are pretty hardcore, you're familiar with them all, but I was pleasantly surprised that they cooked up a few tunes my ears had never had the pleasure of receiving before. (Unfortunately, I have no idea what these "new" songs might be titled, and can't even remember how most of them go at the moment. When the set list gets posted, maybe you guys can figure out which ones I'm referring to.)

c) There was a good number of people there, but not too many so as to result in the ever-unfortunate "Sardine Syndrome."

d) Mr. Lovering, during the course of his wacky experiments, took some time for a Pixies Q&A. The crowd asked some questions. Dave answered them. He even sang a few bars of "La La Love You." Cool stuff.

e) After perusing these boards a bit before and after the show, I'm fairly certain that I inadvertently ran into Broken Face at the concert. I could be mistaken, but I doubt it. At any rate, this fellow's name was Brian, was looking for a disposable camera to purchase to take some pictures (but was not able to), and we had some pleasant conversation before the show, outside the venue (amidst all the Trendy Sheep who were waiting to see some band called "Machine" play a bunch of songs they didn't even write themselves), and spoke for a little bit once we got inside, waiting for The Bennies to hit the stage. At any rate, Broken Face, if I'm completely wrong, and none of this sounds familiar, feel free to throw broken beer bottles at me. If it does, I enjoyed meeting you. Hope you liked the show.

e) Of the mere three Franky Shows I've been to, this may be the best one of the bunch. It was a high-powered performance, and FB + C's kicked out all kinds of groovy tunes, resulting in a great time for all. Can't wait till the next one.

Well, it's getting late, I'm really tired, and I gotta be at work early. As you may have gathered, I'm the New Guy, and this would be my first post. I'm certain it won't be my last. Take it easy, folks. I'll catch you on the flip side.

Hittin' the sack before it hits me back,
Yours Truly

"Ahhh... mercury. The tastiest of all transition metals."
--Some Whale, SeaLab 2021
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  23:24:55  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage
that indeed was me ben - glad to meet ya and the show was great - check out my review in the reviews section

brian

Go to Top of Page

Hermaphroditos
- FB Fan -

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2003 :  07:05:36  Show Profile
Just wanted to say that I was very glad to be at Rosebud last night. I've seen a few Frank shows in my day, and last night's crowd was a different one. Maybe it was all the Pixies songs. Maybe it was that Frank hasn't played Pittsburgh in awhile. Maybe it was the "over 21" thang. Or the fact that David Lovering was in the room as well. But there was definitely some cool vibes in the air. I usually don't see that many people singing along. Thanks to all of you who were there, for a great experience.

And thanks to those nice people I met, standing outside in the cold waiting for Frank. Unfortunately, some really drunk lady musta scared him away, cuz he never came out. Dammit!!!

"Oh pity me Garuda, and turn my hands into wings"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000