New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

surgicalblue
- FB Fan -

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  11:59:35  Show Profile
FB&C's new albums always seem to get unfavorable reviews (by the general press) at their time of release but, after about a year that goes by, the album that was so quickly panned is suddenly 'brilliant'!?!
they always seem to overlook the hallmark of great songwriting...the songs, only over time, come to full-bloom in the heads of the listeners, just as they did in the head of the writer. there's just no way that one could 'hear' these songs upon only one spin of the disc. by now, the critics should no better (is my point)!!!
P-p-P-panAmericanhighway, yo!!

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  13:31:47  Show Profile
I've noticed that with the first two Frank Black albums, they got pretty good reviews when they first came out, but there was a little "not as good as Pixies" squabble, but now those albums are both mostly looked upon as classics in retrospect.

However, I'm not sure I've noticed any FB and the C albums being hailed as classics by the popular press. Do you have any examples in mind? Some of them usually are regarded pretty warmly. It seemed to me when FB and the C's came out (self titled) that every critic who didn't like his first 3 albums loved it "finally a good post-Pixies album" And Dog in the Sand got pretty nice notices as well.

But I have noticed the opinion of many of Frank's albums has escalated in the years following their release. He's kind of like the Stanley Kubrick of rock music, not any one of his albums get universally good reviews, but his reputation is pretty impeccable.
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  13:33:26  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
well if frank didnt win any favor from the criticals or even the average person with DITS, i dont know if he ever will. theres no reason not to love that album

-miked
Go to Top of Page

surgicalblue
- FB Fan -

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  13:45:38  Show Profile
Yeah, i remember reading the reviews for DITS when it was released, and...not good. Then, about a year later, i was on the WARecords website and there they had something like 30 or more 'top 10 best of year lists' that he had made. couldn't believe it!!
fuck, who really cares what people think anyway, though.
Go to Top of Page

surgicalblue
- FB Fan -

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  13:48:15  Show Profile
of course, the real irony is in MY words, when i say 'no better', instead of 'know better'. maybe i should get my head examined, yo.
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  15:31:48  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
the stanley kubrick of music comparison is cool. its true! critics are more often than not morons, so i generally never put stock in what any of them say...."oh my god, did you hear what the critic from GQ said about frank's latest?" who gives a shit. the majority of them give bad reviews on purpose because it gets more attention......i seem to remember t.o.t.y. getting a bad review....enough said.

...and evolving from the sea, would not be too much time for me, to walk beside you in the sun....

Edited by - frank_black_francis on 02/10/2003 15:33:11
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  16:49:20  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
I remember Pistolero getting really bad reviews in Britain... like 2/10, saying that Frank should grow up and all that bollocks. But a few British mags gave FB & C and DITS good reviews... to be honest I don't really pay much attention to reviews because as someone quite rightly said, they are crap. Its just one persons opinion, who has probably only listened to the album once before writing the reviw. In my opinion any album that I immediately like, I usually get bored of within a week or so. The music that you think is crap at first, and then you get to like after about 10 listens is the stuff thats cool...

Frank has yet to release a shit album, but I'll admit that upon first listen I didn't think much of any of Franks solo stuff, it took time and patience before I realised how great each album is.... even the brilliant Cult of Ray.

2002 World Air Guitar Champion
Go to Top of Page

gary13th
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
632 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  05:04:54  Show Profile  Visit gary13th's Homepage  Click to see gary13th's MSN Messenger address
i only got into the pixies after getting FBs first two albums
I dont bother with reviews as I know i'm going to get a good album when i buy a FB&TC album. I've always thought the press had something against Frank because they always compare it with his "pixies" work (NME anyone!?!) which is stupid. I suppose its down to the reviewers personal taste at the end of the day.

~you will get used to me, welcome to your new joy
Heloise by FB&TC
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  12:14:08  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address
quote:
to be honest I don't really pay much attention to reviews because as someone quite rightly said, they are crap. Its just one persons opinion, who has probably only listened to the album once before writing the reviw.

I sometimes get the idea that reviewers of Frank albums don't even do that. I mean, every music critic knows that all you need to write a Frank album review are six simple words: "not as good as the Pixies." Never mind that, if any of these critics were working back when the Pixies were actually around, they probably gave THOSE albums bad reviews as well.

I guess the theory behind music reviews is that the critics are somewhat knowledgeable and informed about music, so their opinions are worth more than someone else's. Not only does this generally not work out that way, though, but I'd be much more likely to listen to the opinion of a non-critic who happens to have similar musical tastes to mine. Has anyone here actually bought an album based on a critical review?

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
Go to Top of Page

Visiting Sasquatch
= Cult of Ray =

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  12:29:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by VoVat
Has anyone here actually bought an album based on a critical review?

Yes! From places like SSMT and Amazon.com's customer reviews. SSMT is good cause he doesn't get paid to review, (if you don't count a free cd getting paid), like commercial reviewers do, so there's no potential conflict of interest. And Amazon is good, cause if a listener liked, or disliked, a CD so much, that he bothered writing a review after listening to it, then it's worth like two Rolling Stone reviews of the CD in my book! It's a good idea to read like 10 customer reviews while listening to the samplers, to get a good feel of how an album is.

If you meant did I ever buy a CD from the recommendation of a commercial reviewer, then NO!

P.S. John Chedsey, a reviewer for SSMT, is a member of these forums.

Edited by - Visiting Sasquatch on 02/11/2003 12:30:33
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  13:50:36  Show Profile
Well, I don't know about all this "critics suck" stuff. You're likely to disagree or agree with anyone. Just because Frank Black doesn't get great reviews anymore doesn't mean we should just write off every critic. I mean, one of the reasons Frank got started in the first place was because of all the glowing reviews the Pixies first got. I didn't have any friends who knew Frank Black, it was before the internet, but I happened to read about him and he sounded really cool, so I bought a cd.

I think Critics just tend to like the new thing. And they'll keep praising the new thing. Of course Critics in major magazines actually are influenced by editors and stuff in their reviews, so don't really listen to them. But critics in smaller publications, why not? It's just another guy who obviously loves music enough to write about it, so his opinion can be somewhat valid.

I mean, if every critic on earth loved Frank to death..we'd all be saying "yeah, the critics are pretty cool".
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  14:59:13  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
yah in general if the general opinion from several critics seem to favor an album, i usually have faith that its pretty good

-miked
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000