-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 My Bagboy Theory

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
johnnyribcage Posted - 06/17/2022 : 14:59:30
I brought this up on the Doggerel thread, and said I'd share the story soon. I didn't want to further derail the Doggerel thread, so I started a new one. Here it goes.

I’m pretty sure I’m Bagboy. I can’t definitively prove any of this, absent a confirmation or denial from the man himself. But I can build a strong case.

As an added bonus, I’m sure I will inadvertently build a strong case for my confinement to a psych ward and possibly a lobotomy… but I’ve been carrying this around for almost a decade. The statute of limitations is probably up by now. Ideally I could file this away under "You're so vain I bet you think this song is about you," but I don't think so.

Of note: the underlying incidents here were all fueled by alcohol.

Timeline:

1. On December 7, 2012, I was really drunk and started a thread on the forum titled “Seriously, what the hell is going on?" The basic gist was a short, somewhat obnoxious rant about not hearing about anything going on, no new music. Entitled complaints about buying everything and being a long time fan, annoyed at rumors but not hearing anything solid, no new Pixies music, etc. It was a stupid, thoughtless post. But the thread garnered a lot of traffic, including a couple posts from BF himself saying something like “don’t worry something’s coming” and also mentioning he was working hard on the then-upcoming Catholics mega-box. The worst part was that there had in fact been new music relatively recently. I was just too drunk to recall. Further, I continued to make thoughtless, asinine comments in the ensuing conversation (not to BF, just in general).

2. Feb 12, 2013, my wife and I (well, then fiancé) went to see BF with Paley at Club Café in Pittsburgh, an extremely small venue. Paley opened, then BF. They also did a few songs together from their recent album (new music that I forgot about in my original post, btw).

3. Notably, I had a blue plastic basic grocery bag with me. In that bag was my vinyl copy of Show Me Your Tears, which I was hoping to get autographed. I didn’t want to just carry it around in the open, afraid the record would slip out or something. Or it would walk off. Didn’t have anything else to put it in and it was a last minute grab. I didn’t put much thought into it.

4. We stood directly in front of BF the whole show, like feet away. Could have reached out and touched him. I held the bag for a while, but at some point I just set it on the floor leaning it up against the short stage, and I recall him noticing me putting it there.

5. After the show, my wife and I chatted him up – just basic fan stuff – and he signed the record. He also posed with us for a picture. He was very generous and sweet.

6. A few days later I posted that picture on one of the threads here on the forum, probably in the FB Live category, and told the story of meeting and chatting with him.

7. Kim Deal quits on June 14, 2013 (I think)

8. A couple weeks later Bagboy is released. BF said the music was around for a few years, but the lyrics were recently written at a Starbucks

9. After a few listens I got suspicious. Then the second video was released, featuring a several of images of ribs scattered throughout. There also ribs prominently featured on the Bagboy single and EP3.

10. I solidified my theory and deleted the original thread out of embarrassment and shame.

Here’s what I think: he probably saw that picture of us while perusing the forum at Starbucks. Folks used to just hang out at Starbucks with a computer for the wifi. Maybe some still do but it was really common in those days. My theory goes that he saw the pic, realized who I was, who it was he was talking to that night, remembered the bag, remembered my shitty post from a couple months prior, and got inspired to write the lyrics to Bagboy. Sort of an "Oh okay you're sitting there at your keyboard bitching about me not doing anything while I'm busy pouring my heart and soul into creating a new Pixies album for people like you, dealing with a reluctant Deal, stressing over getting it right etc., well here, is this enough for you, jackass?"

To break it down, lyrically:

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings
- My idiotic blathering on the forum, read and responded to directly by Charles
I get no satisfaction from your very recent sightings
- My posting of and bragging about the picture with him and my wife
Cover your breath, Cover your teeth, Cover your breath, Polish your speech
- I was pretty hammered from pounding IPAs and had been stepping outside to smoke occasionally, so I have no doubt my breath and overall being probably reeked, plus I was likely slurring. Also, before the show, we were next door for a couple of hours at a a famous South Side dive called Jacks, which is notorious for it's extremely smokey atmosphere. So we both probably reeked like an ashtray.
Bagboy
- The grocery bag I had with me all night – “the boy with the bag at that show in Pittsburgh”
Like when I hear the sound of feet slapping on the runway
Like a small bird pretty while it's crapping on the new day
- Artistic phrasing of me shitting on his day while he was just trying to enjoy his morning coffee
So disappointed I was that I had made small talk with you
- Regretting BS-ing with me after the show
I'm not feeling your buzz I only smell your crock of stew
- Recalling my inebriated state and beer/cigarette stench
She had some beauty and manners but you look like a bug
- My wife was with me and also in the picture, and I maybe I do look like a bug. I have quite a forehead on me.
Migrations of their type are such good planners and not smug
- I was nice in person, if a bit smelly. I planned the autograph request, picture, etc.
You are proselytizing alone
- This kind of applies to any keyboard warrior
Listening to the voice with your ears
You have regurgitated the tone
Now sat in your tract for many years
Picked up from dead things that you licked
- Several lines that artistically imply that Bagboy is naïve, unthoughtful, selfish, etc...
It's a feedback loop you can't evict (followed by the incessant driving home of the cover your breath section through the end)
- A dual-purpose comment on how he can’t evict the feedback loop of shitty internet fans, and a description of the new song itself as a direct feedback to Bagboy (me) that would be around forever, something I couldn't evict, and would have the noble distinction of being the first real new Pixies song since 1991 to boot.

Take all of that into consideration, along with the visuals of dancing and slamming ribs in the 2nd video, and the ribs in the drawing of “Bagboy” for the EP it was on.

It’s one hell of a coincidence if it’s not at least a little connected to one johnnyribcage.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tamefan Posted - 06/28/2022 : 17:58:09
I hope he read our gushing praise for BTE. :)
johnnyribcage Posted - 06/28/2022 : 15:48:37
Bedbug - great interpretation! I’ll chose to go with that going forward.

Yeah tame, I haven’t seen the man around here since Indie Cindy. But I go on long hiatuses with the forum. Maybe he’s was on a few times after that.

Once in a while, usually around a new release, I’ll hop on and unload, but I can only forum it up so much on a single topic, so I go back to the ‘cage for a year or so to recharge.

The Maharal Posted - 06/27/2022 : 11:52:53
He set up his own questions and answers thread and he'd show up now and again. I am sad that some of the pages got purged during a forum crash - including some of the questions I'd asked him! Violet used to post now and again, as did Jon Tiven!

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3015

Incidentally a few weeks ago I came across another fun thread where someone apologised for gate-crashing a BF afterparty and apparently being rude to the man himself (who actually responded in the thread).
tamefan Posted - 06/26/2022 : 16:14:52
This was a really interesting read and thoroughly entertaining, both the original post and everyone's replies (especially Bedbug's interpretation, above!). A fun bit of speculative lore. As for the discussion about autographs: I complimented Charles once on Twitter -- I remarked on an exciting sequence of Pixies songs played at a recent show. He retweeted my compliment.

I was so glad that he had seen some positive feedback and it made him smile. I wonder sometimes whether the band members read much feedback from fans, especially from serious fans like those of us who post here. I hope they do. Apparently Charles used to post here? So maybe he still reads our ramblings? For me this was better than an autograph, because instead of asking Frank for something, I could give him a small token of my appreciation, after all of the hours of music he has given me.
Bedbug Posted - 06/25/2022 : 12:09:55
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

You know what though? I live in NYC. It is possible in the midwest or something, there are some cheery bagboys. I did notice in a recent road trip that people do act more friendly in certain places.

I was gonna say this, Midwest and south Bagboys might make small talk.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 06/25/2022 : 12:07:16
You know what though? I live in NYC. It is possible in the midwest or something, there are some cheery bagboys. I did notice in a recent road trip that people do act more friendly in certain places.
jake3 Posted - 06/25/2022 : 11:41:08
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by jake3
BF is using this term as an insult. He’s describing them as someone with a very small, unimportant role in his music career. The goods (the music) are BF’s. I don’t live in a country where a bag boy is an occupation for someone but I’m guessing they would make “small talk” and put on a (often fake) friendly demeanour.

Nope. Bagboys are pretty miserable and just put your shit in a grocery bag and look like they want to blow up the supermarket. I've literally never encountered a friendly or conversational one. Sullen teenagers.

Understandable. Will edit accordingly!
Troubles A Foot Posted - 06/25/2022 : 08:37:37
quote:
Originally posted by jake3
BF is using this term as an insult. He’s describing them as someone with a very small, unimportant role in his music career. The goods (the music) are BF’s. I don’t live in a country where a bag boy is an occupation for someone but I’m guessing they would make “small talk” and put on a (often fake) friendly demeanour.

Nope. Bagboys are pretty miserable and just put your shit in a grocery bag and look like they want to blow up the supermarket. I've literally never encountered a friendly or conversational one. Sullen teenagers.
jake3 Posted - 06/25/2022 : 06:10:27
Here's my take on the song. I think the most likely subject of BF's frustration is a journalist...

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings
I get no satisfaction from your very recent sightings

BF doesn't like what he's read from this journalist. By describing their work as that of a hobbiest he's implying that their work is that of an amateur and not very professional. BF has seen this journalist (or their work) on multiple occasions and isn't pleased about it.

Like when I hear the sound of feet slapping on the runway
Like a small bird pretty while it’s crapping on the new day

This journalist is ruining BF’s day. BF is likening them to bird taking flight and crapping on him from upon high. A small pretty bird may seem innocent to most but to BF, who has just been crapped on, it’s irritating.

So disappointed I was that I had made small talk with you
(Cover your breath, cover your teeth)
I'm not feeling your buzz I only smell your crock of stew

BF reluctantly spoke to this journalist. Rather than discussing worthwhile subject matters the journalist was instead more interested in “small talk”. The journalist’s “buzz” suggests some enthusiasm on their part but BF either thinks their enthusiasm is put on or BF is simply not interested in reciprocating. The references to bad breath are a metaphor for someone who is talking shit. What they are saying is toxic to BF. The “crock of stew” is the wretched shit soup swirling inside their mouth. “Cover your breath, cover your teeth” is BF’s way of saying that he wishes this journalist would stop subjecting him to all the shit that they are talking.

Bagboy
Bagboy
Bagboy
Bagboy
Bagboy (bagboy)
Bagboy (bagboy)
Bagboy (bagboy)
Bagboy (bagboy)

BF is using this term as an insult. He’s describing them as someone with a very small, unimportant role in his music career. The goods (the music) are BF’s.

She had some beauty and manners but you look like a bug
Migrations of their type are such good planners and not smug

This is the most difficult to decipher verse. In the first line I think BF is maybe unfavourably comparing the irritating journalist with another whom he holds in higher regard. I’m not too sure about the second line.

You are proselytizing alone, listening to the voice with your ears
You have regurgitated a tone now sat in your tract for many years
It's a feedback loop you can't evict

The journalist is shaping their work to their own twisted design. The songs or answers they are listening to are being heard but not truly understood. They’re listening with their ears but not their brains. Once again the journalist is “regurgitating” the same old shit. This shit is informed by toxic stuff they’ve taken in over the years and now they’re stuck in a never ending cycle of garbage.
billgoodman Posted - 06/25/2022 : 03:50:33
That was amazing

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Bedbug Posted - 06/24/2022 : 17:48:39
Not that Johnny or anyone asked for my take on the tune, but I’ll summarize it here:

Bagboy is Judas Iscariot, the disciple who betrayed Jesus Christ, and the song is a peek inside his thoughts.

“I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings” The only record of Jesus Christ writing is the public writing he does in the famed story of “the woman taken in adultery,” the one where we get the sentiment, “let him without sin cast the first stone.”

The reason why this event of Jesus is relevant to Judas is because later in the gospels another woman of ill repute breaks an alabaster box of perfume on Jesus' feet. Judas complains that the perfume could have been sold and given to the poor instead. But the narrator says, “this he said, not that he cared for the poor, but because he was a thief, and had the BAG, and bare what was put therein.”

The song contains many allusions to the accounts of this event through imaginings of what might have been going through Judas’ mind as he was plotting his betrayal of Christ, having “no satisfaction” by Jesus’ “recent sightings” among the public, feeling “so disappointed” that he had begun following Jesus (which probably began with “small talk” as in the case of other disciples) thinking that there was going to be great gain in doing so, and now feeling “crapped on” and smelly.

Jesus’ teachings, which Judas was there to hear, began to turn him off, and included references to the washing of others’ feet (“feet slapping”) and the significance of even “small birds,” and communicated that following Jesus was not a path to riches in this life. The “buzz” that Jesus had generated among many people had turned in Judas’ estimation to be a “crock.”

Judas states that the woman who anointed Jesus with the perfume “had some beauty” (as someone in her line of her work might be expected to have) and “manners” (humility obviously) but “you look like a bug,” which refers to Psalm 22 which predicts that the Messiah will be “a worm,” which referred to an insect in that part of the Middle East. The woman “planned” and traveled (“migration”) to come to Jesus to give him the perfume, and Judas accuses him of being “smug,” probably for accepting it.

Jesus certainly was known for “proselytizing alone.” “Regurgitating the tone” could refer to repeating his teachings, and Jesus was controversial because he touched lepers and dead people, and even healed someone with his spit (“dead things that you licked”). Judas’ “feedback” to Jesus can’t be stopped, so the betrayal happens.

And the chanting? Perhaps Judas psyching himself up to complete his plan. Perhaps a demonic chorus influencing his mind, as the book of John says that Satan entered into Judas right before the betrayal. Jesus cast out many demons, but this satanic suggestion to betray Jesus could not be exorcized / “evicted.”

The Bible that so many FBF songs refer to literally says Judas “had the bag.” He was the bag boy. This song is a non-linear imagination of Judas’ thoughts and the events surrounding his betrayal of Christ, presented in a style, say, similar to the way David Lynch gives us events in his films.

Anyway, if you read all that, thank you.

Now some of you might be asking: Is it significant that Judas Iscariot is the subject of the first song released by the Pixies immediately after Kim Deal left the band? I have no idea.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 06/24/2022 : 08:42:47
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

Are Nance and Ivers in one song or two?

One, I Gotta Move.
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 06/24/2022 : 06:19:21
Thank you for this, Mr. Ribs! It would have made a lovely crackpot theory on the podcast and it is quite enjoyable to really dive into the lyrics with any theory and stop for a moment and think "What did he mean by that?" and I can definitely picture myself in the same situation as you, wondering if it was me... especially since I still think FB/FB/CMKT3 is just an all around amazing human and someone I would never want to piss off, so I'd be extra paranoid.

You don't look like a bug but you spin a good theory!

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
hammerhands Posted - 06/24/2022 : 03:06:27
Are Nance and Ivers in one song or two?

I would have mentioned Hank Williams, Johnny Horton, Billy Jean in Everything is New.,
but you wouldn't list everyone in Half Man.
BunsenH Posted - 06/22/2022 : 14:01:55
That makes sense. Thank you for that.

quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by BunsenH

Which one is about Beef?

quote:

Jacques Tati
Captain Beefheart
Kim Deal

Named but not famous people or less famous:
Bailey's Walk
Ed is Dead
Speedy Marie
I guess there are a lot of these.

Did he not say who Dead Man's Curve was about?

85 weeks

Jason Posted - 06/22/2022 : 13:48:28
On one of the live albums, Frank intros "Dead Man's Curve" as a "song about Freddy Fender".
billgoodman Posted - 06/22/2022 : 13:15:49
quote:
Originally posted by BunsenH

Which one is about Beef?

quote:

Jacques Tati
Captain Beefheart
Kim Deal

Bailey's Walk
Ed is Dead
Speedy Marie

85 weeks

BunsenH Posted - 06/22/2022 : 12:42:32
Which one is about Beef?

quote:

Jacques Tati
Captain Beefheart
Kim Deal

Bailey's Walk
Ed is Dead
Speedy Marie

hammerhands Posted - 06/22/2022 : 11:56:10
Jacques Tati
Captain Beefheart
Kim Deal

Bailey's Walk
Ed is Dead
Speedy Marie

Troubles A Foot Posted - 06/20/2022 : 08:42:27
I almost put Jack Palance but I didn't consider the song to be ABOUT Jack Palance. Same reason I didn't put Daniel Boone.

If that makes sense...
billgoodman Posted - 06/20/2022 : 03:22:14
We forgot Desmond Dekker, twice. At least.

sdon Posted - 06/20/2022 : 00:41:14
quote:

Herman Brood
Freddy Fender
John Denver
Iggy Pop
John Candy
The Three Stooges
Mose Allison
Alec Eiffel
Jack Nance
Peter Ivers
Ray Bradbury
Jonathan Richman
Robert Zubrin
William Mullholland
johnnyribcage

Honestly I think it's an honor.

+ Dr Doolittle, Jack Palance and Daniel Boone :)

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Troubles A Foot Posted - 06/19/2022 : 16:06:16
Amazon once sent me two copies of The Wire complete series on DVD! I don't remember what I did with the extra one.
johnnyribcage Posted - 06/19/2022 : 15:46:02
quote:

Yeah I have the signed Golem thing too. Something I've never understood is someone paying for an autographed item, like on ebay or a band's website. To me an autograph is mainly special if it's signed TO YOU and in person, a document of a memory of an encounter of meeting one of your art heroes.

Definitely meets the criteria for "superuncool." Proud to say I've never even considered that.

The 5-Disc Golem set, on the other hand, is rad as fuck.

As a side note to the Golem 5 disc set, I had an interesting experience with that one. I pre-ordered it, as uber fans do, but on the day it showed it, it weirdly showed up as twins. I had two packages on my doorstep. Long story short, they accidentally sent me 2 copies for the 1 I actually paid for.

Being an ethical guy, I immediately emailed the company (I think it was black francis' dedicated website, if I recall...) and told them their mistake and asked how to ship it back because I didn't want to deprive someone of the opportunity to own that 500 copy release if they wanted it. They emailed back, thanking me for letting me know, but told me to just keep it, free of charge. I still have it, still in the shrinkwrap.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 06/19/2022 : 15:29:35
Yeah I have the signed Golem thing too. Something I've never understood is someone paying for an autographed item, like on ebay or a band's website. To me an autograph is mainly special if it's signed TO YOU and in person, a document of a memory of an encounter of meeting one of your art heroes.
johnnyribcage Posted - 06/19/2022 : 09:21:34
Except the one time he was always super nice. And he wasn’t mean or anything the last time, he was just a little weird. Still chatted though about the solo tour and the preceding Pixies tour. I wouldn’t be intimidated if I were you. He was smiling, chatty, and was happy to sign an LP or CD for anyone that had one.. even had a sharpie on him for it one time. This was in ‘02 and ‘13 though - I wasn’t standing in a crush of fans outside a door, we were just on the floor in the club. And a younger Charles in ‘96 might also have had a different perspective than later. Who knows.

I think I only have like 6 or 7 total autographs in my entire collection of like 1000 CDs and 1500-1600 records. And one of them is the 5 disc Golem that came signed anyway. The only time I struck out actually trying/hoping to get one was the last time with BF. It’s not something I do often…

Troubles A Foot Posted - 06/19/2022 : 08:39:01
Oh I think about this topic a lot.

I also find getting someone's autograph awkward and uncool. But I think when you're a teenager those are the perfect years to do it. I don't think any artist is going to judge some 16 year old for wanting an autograph.

But recently I was waiting for someone to sign something...and it hit me that I'm almost 40 and it felt...stupid?

What I really want now from people I'm a fan of is a cool conversation, and a photo would be really cool. Because I take photos all the time of my experiences so why not of this sort of thing?

The other very uncool I do is give people my album (and I also used to give people a DVD of a movie I made.) I know they probably don't want it. But it's more special for me to know they have something I made than that I have their autograph. When we do interviews for my TMBG podcast, these aren't super famous people, but I give them all a copy of my album because why the hell not, I love their music and I hope they like mine. The responses are unanimously happy and supportive so I'll keep doing it.

One more cool or uncool thing though. For a while I had a sketchbook that I asked people to sign. And because it's a sketchbook they would do cool drawings and stuff. So that to me is cooler than signing an album or whatever.

I've never met Frank and feel super intimidated to do it. I tried to contact him to be interviewed on my podcast but nothing happened. I still hope one day. From past interviews he seems to enjoy talking about TMBG (I mean I'm not gonna ask him about the fucking god damn Pixies, that's for sure), and I'd love to talk to him about the music videos he made with John Flansburgh from TMBG directing.
Jason Posted - 06/19/2022 : 08:24:24
I haven't thought about this in years, but the first time I saw Frank in 1996, I noticed that a bunch of people were gathered with CDs and other merch out by the club's side door, where the bands go in and out, obviously waiting for Frank. I didn't have anything to sign, but I hung out anyway. I was a kid. I thought I'd orbit and eavesdrop.

After a good long while, Frank comes out, sees the crowd and says something like "You all want autographs?". A few people whistled and called out in the affirmative.

And then Frank turned around and walked right back into the club! At first no one knew what to think, but after another long wait, people started to get annoyed and leave. I left. Message sent. Frank was not interested in this.
pot Posted - 06/19/2022 : 06:14:28
I used to be all about the superuncool when it came to autographs. I think it's better when you get the chance to bump into the band at the venue after the gig and you just talk to them naturally like they're any other punter in the venue - that's the opposite of superuncool. Still gutted that I missed out on having a beer and probably sharing a joint with The Kills at Doornroosje, Nijmegen in 2005 - had work the next day so decided to leave straight after the gig - the venue photographer told me afterwards they were hanging around the bar with her (who I was kind of hanging around with that night as well)

I did have a slightly actually cool experience asking Kool Keith for his autograph when I saw him there too in 2006 - absolutely garbage performance but he's a going right back to the 80's but still sadly fairly unknown hip hop ledge - he was signing at the end and I was just hanging around. An opportunity to dive in and get a signing turned up though and I grabbed it - totally unplanned just pulled out a little hemp bag I used to keep my hash pipe in and I held it up to him pulled either end to make it firm and he wrote his name on it, then fist bumped me and then walked off the stage leaving me standing there all like: Fuck yeah, I just fistbumped Kool Keith!
johnnyribcage Posted - 06/19/2022 : 05:39:37
I don’t think it’s a big deal, but it depends on the situation. If it’s a really tiny club and they come down off the stage and are actively engaging the fans, I think it’s fine and completely expected (by the artist). Club Cafe and Thunderbird (before they remodeled) in Pittsburgh have capacities a little over 100. It’s always real casual after those kinds of shows. Almost always the artist sticks around specifically hang out with fans, sign, etc for awhile. It’s not “expected,” it just pretty much always happens.

That’s the only time I ever do it. I’d never like hang out by a bus or a back door or a hotel or something trying to get one. And I’d never approach or bother anyone just out and about - like walking around or eating or something. That would indeed be superuncool.

And I’ve never had anything other than an LP or CD signed. A shirt or a piece of paper or something doesn’t make much sense to me, but an LP signed by the artist is pretty cool, if you ask me. Like getting a book signed by the author. It’s not that weird.

pot Posted - 06/19/2022 : 04:31:58
I passed up the chance to get FBF's autograph a couple of times because I thought it would come across as superuncool.
The Maharal Posted - 06/19/2022 : 04:13:10
Fairly certain it's crock of stew, as in ''crock pot of stew''. Also brings to mind ''crock of shit''.

When I was a teenager I waited for autographs from BF a couple of times and kinda cringe on it now. I remember BF at one point signing my shirt or ticket stub or whatever and fairly abruptly doing so against my chest with a face full of thunder. (Might have been the second of the Dublin dates whenever they were playing Doolittle in full and he was in a weird mood during the gig - talking loads (!) but seeming a bit pissed off.) It's all a bit silly isn't it? Asking someone for their signature? Makes absolutely no sense. Have had the chance recently to engage with John Darnielle (Mountain Goats) and Andrew Falkous / Falco (mclusky, Future of the Left) after concerts and while they're both heroes of mine I passed up the chance as I didn't want to bother them.
hammerhands Posted - 06/18/2022 : 16:04:07
Oh good, I was worried it was about me.

They re-recorded the chant and simplified it for the album. It's a good song, they should keep playing it.

I think it's "crack of stew" and "migrators"?

jake3 Posted - 06/18/2022 : 14:38:39
No problem pal. Happy to help.

As discussed in the Doggerel thread 'Indie Cindy' had some really nice, cryptic lyrics and 'Bagboy' is definitely part of that. Anyone else think there might be an avian thread running through it (feet slapping on the runway/small bird pretty/migrations/regurgitating)? Maybe just me?

The last verse sounds like it's describing someone who is going around saying the same old shit that they themselves picked up from bad sources... Or maybe it's just more playing on words regarding bad breath...

You are proselytizing alone
Listening to the voice with your ears
You have regurgitated the tone
Now sat in your tract for many years
It's a feedback loop you can't evict
johnnyribcage Posted - 06/18/2022 : 14:08:10
Well that’s awfully promising. Thanks Jake. A big motivator for my posting all this was to hopefully be talked out of it.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000