-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 Doggerel

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
natenate101 Posted - 06/04/2022 : 00:53:11
Keep your eyes and ears peeled next week. Our first taste of Doggerel is almost here.

the adrenalizing effect of the lunar cycle on the human psyche
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Brank_Flack Posted - 03/03/2024 : 08:16:55
I think Long Rider has interesting chord progressions in both the verses and chorus, but, like The Maharal, I cringe at the "just slay it" parts. I'm trying to remember from the podcast, was that a Tom suggestion? At the very least I remember him being enthused by it and requested its repetition.
The Maharal Posted - 03/03/2024 : 03:13:13
I've softened on Another Toe - it's overproduced and still a bit annoying but the lyrics are a million times better and more interesting than Long Rider.
picpic Posted - 03/03/2024 : 00:30:49
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Yeah probably (and sorry about that). Just pop-punk shite. Just listened to the song again in what must be my first listen in a couple of years. Still cringe at the ''just slay it'' parts.

I assume you also dislike "Another Toe"? :-D. At some point it used to be my favorite song on IC!
Truth is, both didn't sound very good live, and were eventually removed from their setlist. But I like studio versions.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Ziggy Posted - 03/02/2024 : 23:37:15
Love the Long Rider! Fantastic riff too.

Revisited Doggerel recently and found my thoughts hadn't really changed. A couple of my favourite 2.0 songs but a good few songs I skip.
The Maharal Posted - 03/02/2024 : 03:01:30
Yeah probably (and sorry about that). Just pop-punk shite. Just listened to the song again in what must be my first listen in a couple of years. Still cringe at the ''just slay it'' parts.
Stevio10 Posted - 03/01/2024 : 13:46:23
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Interestingly, I'd have two of those in my worst of 2.0 list.

Long Rider, right? I think it was your good self who made me aware this sounded like Smashmouth. I can't unhear it.
Sprite Posted - 03/01/2024 : 12:48:13
Hmmm Top 10 2.0. Not easy...

Bird of Prey
Chapel Hill
Hey Debussy
Silver Snail
Plaster of Paris
Thunder and Lightning
Snakes
Doggerel
Ready for Love
Under the Marigold
The Maharal Posted - 03/01/2024 : 12:22:00
Interestingly, I'd have two of those in my worst of 2.0 list.
picpic Posted - 03/01/2024 : 09:55:21
Haven't listened to the whole Doggerel album in months, but I kept those in my playlist:

Nomatterday
Saduccee
Who's more sorry now

And my Best-Of 2.0 LP is... (for now)

Magdalena
Silver Snail
Oona
Woman of war
All I think about now
Mark of Cain
Long Rider
Los surfer Muertos
Chapel Hill
Mal de Mer
Nomatteday
Who's more sorry now
Saduccee

___
"Service Unavailable"
Stevio10 Posted - 02/27/2024 : 10:42:06
If Doggerel was a Catholics album it would be Devil's Workshop. Starts very strong, takes a bit of a lull halfway through but finishes modestly.
vilainde Posted - 02/26/2024 : 12:42:38
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

For what it's worth I think Moon works best in the context of the album rather than as a stand alone.

Yes, definitely.

Denis
Brank_Flack Posted - 02/26/2024 : 11:19:56
For what it's worth I think Moon works best in the context of the album rather than as a stand alone. I would say the same for most of the album - it doesn't have the same highs as an Indie Cindy, but the songs cohere very well as an LP.
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 02/25/2024 : 14:47:35
From discovering the Pixies, and eventually Frank Black, then the Catholics, then this site, the past several years have been the least I've listened to any of the above. I think it's just part of the natural growth and progression of my musical tastes. Right now they vacillate between classical music/opera/chorales to live Zeppelin and David Lee Roth Van Halen with some Queens of the Stone Age. Considering I went a decade plus without listening to Zeppelin and never thought I'd actually enjoy Van Halen, I'm not surprised. I figure the music, FB's with whomever he's with is of such quality at somet point I'll return to it.

Pixies 2.0 while having some songs I like remain the least listened to out of FB's music, save his Paley album which I haven't heard at all.

Just today I listned to Nomatterday online and quite enjoyed it though the tranistion to the faster, catchiner section was so immediately engrossing it might be something I have to space out so I don't wear it out.

It was the first listen to anything Fb-related in months if not over a year. Now I'm curious to hear Moon because well...how bad could it be? But I might just wait and one day give the album proper a listen.

Cheers
tamefan Posted - 02/22/2024 : 02:36:36
revisited this record for the first time in four or five months and, wow, that mix & master is the best Pixies 2.0. have ever sounded. well done.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 06/27/2023 : 23:24:50
I'm still not over how bad Moon is. I can't believe it exists.
natenate101 Posted - 06/27/2023 : 11:13:19
Been laying low from the board for awhile now because I just cant get into this album. Kinda down on Pixies 2.0 right now because of it, but thatll pass and there are always the other albums to get into again.

Im happy others seem to enjoy it so much, but Im just not into it. Its too comfortable, too pedestrian. They found a groove and I respect it but overall I really think BFs songwriting is really weak on this one. He still knows how to write a catchy tune, but there isnt much imagery or mystery to any of it. I know he couldnt care less and is happy churning these out but as a listener its just not challenging or rewarding enough. Musically its fine, yet in need of more Joey and more thrust in general. The first Pixies 2.0 record that seems actually made for us older folks, haha.

Definitely like the first half more than the second, and I know folks dont dig Moon but it at least brings some energy to the proceedings. Its definitely very Frank Black-y, which is why I think it doesnt resonate as much for me.

But as usual, Im glad they are making music and they seem happy on the road doing their thing. Hoping for a change with regards to the producer for the next one, but Dalgety seems like an extra member of the group now so I wont hold my breath.
QuaBear Posted - 11/08/2022 : 11:37:37
That last minute or so from Sadducee is pure gold....just classic Pixies....

This record has so much more depth than the other 2.0 albums...
billgoodman Posted - 10/25/2022 : 00:26:18
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:
Originally posted by QuaBear

I really love this record....The Lord Has Come Back Today is classic Pixies....

I'm seeing a lot of people really love that song.

It's their Winterlog in my opinion
Absolutely love Paz on it

I only wish the drums were more prominent and Joey's lead would be a bit more "surf". I think his live-sound is better than the one on the record.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
tamefan Posted - 10/24/2022 : 20:11:42
Tried tiering the Doggerel songs and quickly concluded they're all either good, great, or excellent; so, in my case it's only three tiers and the amount of variance between those tiers is fairly narrow. Even the weaker songs -- which I would rate as "good" -- have redeeming qualities. A solid album, in every way. Even the corny lyrics have their charm when you're feeling a little silly (yes, I like the Moon song).
Bedbug Posted - 10/23/2022 : 09:28:52
quote:
Originally posted by QuaBear

I'm seeing a lot of people really love that song.
QuaBear Posted - 10/22/2022 : 07:23:39
Discoking Posted - 10/16/2022 : 23:57:53
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Gotta Catch Em All!

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

exactly :'(

it's educational
Bedbug Posted - 10/16/2022 : 17:55:39
This is hard to do, mine would look something like this:

Really like them: the 3 Doggerel singles
Love em: the rest of Doggerel album

I can't really decide which song(s) are my favorite, so much good stuff

Which will come first, Doggerel B-sides or another single or something else?
Troubles A Foot Posted - 10/16/2022 : 09:39:54
OK I'll try as I've now heard the album a dozen times, and I like the stars idea.

first tier: love
second tier: really catchy, like a lot, missing something though
third tier: like
fourth tier: a bit boring
fifth tier: there's a moon on

Get Simulated
Dregs of the Wine
Thunder and Lightning
Who's More Sorry Now
Nomatterday
Doggerel
Vault of Heaven
Pagan Man
Haunted House
You're Such a Sadduccee
The Lord Has Come Back Today
There's a Moon On
Brank_Flack Posted - 10/16/2022 : 06:43:30
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Doggerel's really grew on me the last few days.
Can't believe I posted this a few days ago: "Cool, but I donft feel the need to listen to it again".

What really struck me are the melodies. AMAZING. And -I don't know how to explain it- : BF's gift of putting the right words, the right syllables... on the right notes. It may seem obvious, said like that... but I'm really feeling this on that record, more than the previous ones.

Also, I'm absolutely blown away by BF's voice on this one. I've relistened to Teenager of the Year today. I actually think his voice is BETTER nowadays.

Here's my ranking (for today)

Dregs of the wine
Pagan Man
Haunted House
Nomatterday
Who's more sorry now
You're such a sadducee
Thunder and lightning
there's a moon on
Doggerel
The lord has come back today
Vaults of Heaven
Get stimulated

___
"Service Unavailable"

I'll take a stab at this, which is difficult because it's such a consistent album. I like all the songs, and am happy with There's a Moon On as a late-album jolt rather than lead single.

I'm also going to break it into tiers divided by ***

Doggerel
Nomatterday
Thunder and Lightning
Get Simulated
Haunted House
Dregs of the Wine
Pagan Man
Vault of Heaven
There's a Moon On
Who's More Sorry Now
You're Such a Sadduccee
The Lord Has Come Back Today

The last has grown on me quite a bit over the last few listens.
Sprite Posted - 10/15/2022 : 10:37:48
Very nice, I just bought the red and a CD
johnnyribcage Posted - 10/15/2022 : 08:28:08
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

it's educational

Gotta Catch Em All!

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Discoking Posted - 10/15/2022 : 06:21:29

it's educational
Bedbug Posted - 10/15/2022 : 06:16:24
You can see what an embarrassment of riches fbf fans have when we debate these songs. They are all so good and he's put out so much great music.
billgoodman Posted - 10/15/2022 : 00:04:58
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:

Get stimulated

Ahem, just letting you know the best song on the album which you've placed dead last is titled Get Simulated :)

Haha, that song surprised me the most

picpic Posted - 10/14/2022 : 12:50:18
quote:

quote:

Get stimulated

Ahem, just letting you know the best song on the album which you've placed dead last is titled Get Simulated :)

___
"Service Unavailable"
Troubles A Foot Posted - 10/14/2022 : 12:01:48
quote:

Get stimulated

billgoodman Posted - 10/14/2022 : 11:01:11
quote:

Can't believe I posted this a few days ago: "Cool, but I dont feel the need to listen to it again".

What really struck me are the melodies. AMAZING. And -I don't know how to explain it- : BF's gift of putting the right words, the right syllables... on the right notes. It may seem obvious, said like that... but I'm really feeling this on that record, more than the previous ones.

Also, I'm absolutely blown away by BF's voice on this one. I've relistened to Teenager of the Year today. I actually think his voice is BETTER nowadays.

Dregs of the wine
Pagan Man
Haunted House
Nomatterday
Who's more sorry now
You're such a sadducee
Thunder and lightning
there's a moon on
Doggerel
Vaults of Heaven
Get stimulated

___
"Service Unavailable"

Totally different from my list
Nice to read

billgoodman Posted - 10/14/2022 : 10:59:59
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:

Oh no, comparing it to Man of Steel will make me only like the song LESS. Man of Steel is probably my favorite (and first one I ever heard) Frank song.

Hey Man Of Steel is a real masterpiece I know. But are you saying "I'll never wander again / I'll never wander again / I'm gonna stay to the end here with you" is bland but "There is a place [x20]" isn't?

Denis

Still, very funny

Both songs are amazing
Do think I like the new one better

picpic Posted - 10/14/2022 : 09:06:00
Can't believe I posted this a few days ago: "Cool, but I dont feel the need to listen to it again".

Dregs of the wine
Pagan Man
Haunted House
Nomatterday
Who's more sorry now
You're such a sadducee
Thunder and lightning
there's a moon on
Doggerel
Vaults of Heaven