-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Will the Catholics era be reevaluated?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 04/22/2009 : 20:47:18
Will the Catholics be appreciated by a wider audience in the future; not so much for an experimental edge but based on the high song writing quality? I don't know...I think so.

The way Frank wedded traditional rock-n-roll and country/rockabilly to his unique voice and songwriting is wonderful.

c'est tout
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 01/06/2013 : 10:31:06
I didn't really care for most of their first album, then one day it clicked and I was surprised I didn't recognize the greatness in Solid Gold, amongst others. The same thing has happened with Show Me Your Tears; I thought it was too mellow, too country but all of a sudden I love it; another great album and if it is indeed the last Catholics records, a high point to go out on. The evolution of their sound, from rock to Frank's version of country rock, is pretty amazing.
hammerhands Posted - 01/05/2013 : 01:37:17
Tarantino could make use of Western Star.
Stevio10 Posted - 01/05/2013 : 00:50:05
The thing that really amazes me about the Catholics (even more so now than at the time) is the evolution of the sound of the band. Brown album and Pistolero are great - id consider the band amazing if these 2 albums were their only output - but the evolution of the band from these 2 albums to Dog in the Sand is completely extraordinary. Although we had Oddballs and SSMVGD inbetween DITS took the band to another level.

In terms of them ever being re-evaluated, I guess it depends on a lot of things but the longer FB continues to make music and a presence in the music business then I guess there will always be some degree of interest in his past. There is always film - Trainspotting and Fight Club put Iggy Pop and the Pixies right up there so who knows.
lucmove Posted - 12/28/2012 : 23:33:18
Guilty as charged. I disliked the Catholics era for a long time, always craving more material like FB (Yellow) and TOTY.

But I dutifully repent nowadays. I reevaluate those records often and I think they were really great.

trobrianders Posted - 12/19/2012 : 08:29:50
quote:
Originally posted by teenager94

Very nice reading a review of that amazing gig!! Takes me back... The thing about lack of general acclaim is so true. I remember for example when 'Pistolero' came out and barely a good word was said.... I listen to it now and think how underrated it was. There truely was lack of recognition, but the music still sounds so good.

Are you trying to get me all grumbly? It won't work.

teenager94 Posted - 12/19/2012 : 07:52:43
Very nice reading a review of that amazing gig!! Takes me back... The thing about lack of general acclaim is so true. I remember for example when 'Pistolero' came out and barely a good word was said.... I listen to it now and think how underrated it was. There truely was lack of recognition, but the music still sounds so good.
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

some setlists can be found 'ere

quote:
It is true that Frank Black and The Catholics have not yet generated a great deal of
commercial or critical acclaim, but it is also true that they know exactly how to make great
music, and, more to the point, they have at their helm one of the all-time greats of songwriting.

quote:
A deafening chorus of cheers brings the band back for a four song encore, including the Pogues-esque
When Will Happiness Find Me Again. Although a second encore is called for but not received, it is clear
that a unique brand of happiness has found us all again, for one night at least. Long may Frank Black
and his Catholics induce this kind of genuine excitement throughout the gigging world.

http://www.musicomh.com/music/gigs/frank-black.htm

Bohemoth Posted - 12/09/2012 : 09:52:44
I don't know about the don't have the long sustained listening their has been catholics music in my truck for going on 2 decades. Is far as this thread is i never stoped evaluating the catholics. those where the days man! catholics where road warriors they used to tour like crazy! and drove themselves set up there own equipment.finally frank bought that big van that could hall their stuff after the trailer got stole. that last trip they did in the US spring of 03 they did hire a tour bus though. i must have seen them 50 times in those days between 98 and 03. they are long gone now but I still got all the bootlegs to listen too
gotmeamovie Posted - 12/08/2012 : 18:27:00
love them but they dont have that long sustained listening that you mite have with franks solo albums or pixies. the cd doesnt stay in your car for 2 weeks. i think the lead work is the major let down with catholics, love the drumming though

"I could take a walk and really wonder, really wonder"
Jason Posted - 11/30/2012 : 04:02:21
They're a cult band and there's nothing wrong with that.
trobrianders Posted - 11/29/2012 : 11:18:46
I'm good. The ball stays. The Catholics may experience some wider appreciation over time but even that won't make waves. No sense in grumbling.

We do better to keep passing the ball and stop worrying about nicking a cheap goal.

fbc Posted - 11/29/2012 : 03:01:02
Haha are you ok, tro? Please don't take your ball with you when you go home for tea.
trobrianders Posted - 11/29/2012 : 01:47:24
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

I think they'll definitely be appreciated the more time goes on, more people discovering the music. Just off the top of my head, here's a random sampling of Catholics songs and they're all fantastic: Bullet, Robert Onion, Valentine & Garuda, How You Went So Far, Solid Gold, I forgot the title but the "your noose is going to break song" from the first album, Fields of Marigold, So. Bay, So Hard To Make Things Out, St. Francis, Massif Centale,...these are all great songs that will, I believe, be found by more and more listeners as time goes on.

While the Catholics have the feel of Great Bar Band, the songwriting is just amazing. Catchy, rocking, soulful and in some cases, with that peculiarity of needing a few listens to really understand what's going on and why it is so good.

If the Pixies are an otherworldy band, the Catholics are rooted here to the Earth, in ground and flame and the night's vastness between the F# and the C# minor chords.

Pretty but didn't you hear what I said. The Catholics era will not be reevaluated cos I said so. I know cos I am grumbly.

Grumbling is getting me nowhere!

shineoftheever Posted - 11/28/2012 : 21:17:54
quote:

I think they'll definitely be appreciated the more time goes on, more people discovering the music. Just off the top of my head, here's a random sampling of Catholics songs and they're all fantastic: Bullet, Robert Onion, Valentine & Garuda, How You Went So Far, Solid Gold, I forgot the title but the "your noose is going to break song" from the first album, Fields of Marigold, So. Bay, So Hard To Make Things Out, St. Francis, Massif Centale,...these are all great songs that will, I believe, be found by more and more listeners as time goes on.

While the Catholics have the feel of Great Bar Band, the songwriting is just amazing. Catchy, rocking, soulful and in some cases, with that peculiarity of needing a few listens to really understand what's going on and why it is so good.

If the Pixies are an otherworldy band, the Catholics are rooted here to the Earth, in ground and flame and the night's vastness between the F# and the C# minor chords.

i have trouble remembering song names sometimes too! that's dog gone though, i believe.

i believe the Pixies and the catholics are kinda equal in most regards, I think the Catholics benefited from a more mature Frank - especially the songwriting.

Teenager is still the best! What does that tell ya?

20th Anniversary Tour; Teenager Of The Year: Live and Complete - Coming Soon in 2014 to your favorite venue!
floop Posted - 11/28/2012 : 18:01:30
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

quote:

Yes!

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.

that is well put

green star member since 2006. smb?
coastline Posted - 11/28/2012 : 11:23:13
quote:

Yes!

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 11/28/2012 : 09:09:24

trobrianders Posted - 11/27/2012 : 12:23:09
The Catholics era will not be reevaluated cos I said so.

floop Posted - 11/25/2012 : 13:36:21
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:

I've not been a member on this forum for very long, but have taken a look at it on previous occasions. The thing is nobody really has anything bad to say about the Catholics. I saw them 3 times back in my London days. The shows were just brilliant, filled with memorable moments. I really miss the Catholics and Frank touring in my part of the world. Mind you the 'Cult of Ray' gig in these parts was amazing as well. Just reading 'fool the world' by Josh Frank and Caryn Ganz. Rich Gilbert has plenty to say and is clearly full of knowledge on the Boston music scene. He only says good things about Black Francis and the Pixies. It's a pity the Catholics have no plans.......
Oh yeah, 'Audition' does indeed have a shocking last half hour!!

I don't typically hear anyone with anything bad to say either. I mean, around here anyway. On the boards it seems the Catholics are nearly as legendary as the Pixies. Which is fine with me - I feel that the Catholics were twice the band the Pixies ever were. Pixies are great, but come on now, if you're hanging out on the frankblack.net forum in mid 2012, odds are pretty damn good you tend to sway to the FB side of things, and odds are you tend to weight the Catholics heavily in that regard. No pun, btw.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!

I think that could be taking it a bit far. as in, way too far

green star member since 2006. smb?
fbc Posted - 11/25/2012 : 12:07:27
I'm reevaluating the Shepherd's Bush gig.. Have you heard it? You must. Listening to it makes me believe the Catholics will perform once again, or that Daisy Girl and Kathryn will post again.

What a gig and if it's the last let the man speak before this awesome version of The Black Rider, "Thanks a lot for coming to our show, see you next time"
Jason Posted - 08/24/2012 : 10:13:07
I think the box set will usher in some positive re-evaluation. The novel presentation of the music will get some attention and hopefully the packaging will be pretty sweet.
johnnyribcage Posted - 07/30/2012 : 16:49:01
quote:

I've not been a member on this forum for very long, but have taken a look at it on previous occasions. The thing is nobody really has anything bad to say about the Catholics. I saw them 3 times back in my London days. The shows were just brilliant, filled with memorable moments. I really miss the Catholics and Frank touring in my part of the world. Mind you the 'Cult of Ray' gig in these parts was amazing as well. Just reading 'fool the world' by Josh Frank and Caryn Ganz. Rich Gilbert has plenty to say and is clearly full of knowledge on the Boston music scene. He only says good things about Black Francis and the Pixies. It's a pity the Catholics have no plans.......

I don't typically hear anyone with anything bad to say either. I mean, around here anyway. On the boards it seems the Catholics are nearly as legendary as the Pixies. Which is fine with me - I feel that the Catholics were twice the band the Pixies ever were. Pixies are great, but come on now, if you're hanging out on the frankblack.net forum in mid 2012, odds are pretty damn good you tend to sway to the FB side of things, and odds are you tend to weight the Catholics heavily in that regard. No pun, btw.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
teenager94 Posted - 07/30/2012 : 10:03:27
Chris Knight Posted - 04/19/2012 : 21:30:48
Nice, a discussion of Miike. I've seen a few of his films, including 'Audition', but not 'Happiness of the Katakuris' (at first glance I thought the above pic might be from 'Taste of Tea'). I'm a huge fan of Japanese cinema in general.

I couldn't say whether the Catholics era will be reevaluated, but I do believe it's generated as many classic songs as the Pixies era, and surely the band itself is responsible for part of that magic. Lyle Workman was probably the best guitarist Frank ever worked with, and Scott Boutier is an awesome drummer.
Ziggy Posted - 04/18/2012 : 06:18:43
Love that performance. The Jag has that real 'Teenager of the Year' sound.
fbc Posted - 04/18/2012 : 05:32:49
They were so damn tight as a band. I love this comment:

"the catholics were the greatest. way way better than the pixies....in my opinion. we should all email frank till he brings em back!"
1965 Posted - 04/18/2012 : 04:03:41
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

Reevaluate this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2n7O-c1yWM&feature=related

Frank Black and a Fender Jaguar.

Nice 1! The version of Calistan from this show is brilliant imo-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0IR1Xa0kUM

I have the key to #902
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 04/17/2012 : 18:10:12
Try to find La Route du Rock from 2001. Great concert, would make an excellent dvd.
fbc Posted - 04/17/2012 : 13:34:54
:) I was waiting for Rich Gilbert's lead part to kick in... ah shucks what a band.

Is this footage available as a DVD someplace. Anybody good at ripping youtube vids and splicing them together? I'd pay to own it.

They will get back together one day, surely.
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 04/17/2012 : 13:10:47
Nice. I think during the soundcheck/tuning portion (1st video) you can hear Frank playing the intro to Jane, the Queen of Love.
fbc Posted - 04/17/2012 : 00:01:31
Reevaluate this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2n7O-c1yWM&feature=related

Frank Black and a Fender Jaguar.
blarg007 Posted - 06/29/2009 : 14:36:29
By the way -that is a great picture

These Thistles are making me perky
blarg007 Posted - 06/29/2009 : 14:33:45

[/quote]

[/quote]
Can I get those DITS demos on
180g vinyl please..

These pretzels are making me thirsty
blarg007 Posted - 06/29/2009 : 14:29:21
..wait here it is...

These pretzels are making me thirsty
blarg007 Posted - 06/29/2009 : 14:28:14
So when IS Devils' Workshop day!?
and when are they going to do a half-speed mastered vinyl
set (in parts or ala MinoTAR)of killer outtakes and such that we all know exist
of the catholic's stuff
-??
Vinyl companies have re-mastered and expensively packaged
and priced some god-awful crap the last couple years..

it makes me so mad I am leaving my lame Senfield
era signature in place...

trobrianders Posted - 06/18/2009 : 10:08:55
quote:
Originally posted by floop

i think he also has a sense of humor about it too.

Thinking back it was the black humor that kept me watching, heh.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000