-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 Grand Duchy Is My Favorite frank black album

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Skatealex1 Posted - 08/02/2007 : 18:41:49
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!not saying ive heard it but it really is amazing mix of trippy frank and pixies BEAUTIFUL

The Truth Is Out There
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
joe FITZ of molly BANG Posted - 04/02/2010 : 05:14:34
quote:
Originally posted by langdonboom

Fort Wayne brings tears to my eyes while it rocks-a-my-soul. I absolutely love it and listen to it much more frequently than Bluefinger and I listen to Bluefinger a lot!

It just has all of the FB/BF amazingness that I originally fell in love with - pop graces, distorted blasts of townsend-esque guitar heroics ( I like distortion when he bar chords), and haunting female cooing about the human heart, vulnerability, sweetly triumphant enjoyment of life in all its vageries.... I can't wait for the rest of it.

what is a vageries?

joe FITZ of molly BANG Posted - 04/02/2010 : 05:01:30
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Uh... IMHO everything on Bluefinger is better than Fort Wayne. But Fort Wayne is probably better than everything on Honeycomb, so that could make a great album.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."

i concur.

EZamor Posted - 07/09/2009 : 16:27:01
For those who might be interested, here's my stab at the lyrics of Donnes Moi:

Le soleil du matin brille bien dans ma chambre
Les rideaux dansent pour mon plaisir
J'ai non pas besoin d'une télévision*
Beaucoup de bonbons de sucre possession
Un pot de thé, joie hé!

Donne-moi ce que
Ce que je veux
C'est tout c'que je sais
Et pour ce désirer
Donne-moi ce que
Ce que je veux
C'est tout c'que je sais

Venez à la fête de thé
C'est très excitant pour jouer
J'ai le glaçage sur le droit
Je ris à la réflexion de moi

Donne-moi ce que
Ce que je veux
C'est tout c'que je sais
Et pour ce désirer
Donne-moi ce que
Ce que je veux
C'est tout c'que je sais

Donne-moi ce que
Ce que je veux
C'est tout c'que je sais
Et pour ce désirer
Donne-moi ce que
Ce que je veux
C'est tout c'que je sais

(Donne-moi ce que je veux)
(C'est tout c'que je sais)

* That’s what I hear, but I think it should be “Je n'ai pas besoin d'une télévision”

BTW, my French isn't all that great, so definitely feel free to offer corrections!

Cheerz,
-=EZ
http://www.last.fm/music/EZamor
Grotesque Posted - 07/07/2009 : 05:48:23
quote:
Originally posted by MissMaceo

quote:
Garbage sounded like Simple Minds.

really??

I dont know that'ss what i thought when I saw them live.
That big cold sound.
MissMaceo Posted - 07/05/2009 : 06:42:51
quote:
Garbage sounded like Simple Minds.

really??
Grotesque Posted - 07/03/2009 : 08:22:18
I dont want to sound aggressive or anything like that, but appart from fort wayne I really dont like at all Petit Fours.
Better think it's NOT a Frank Black album, wich it isnt anyway.
I think it sounds like Garbage (the band). But Garbage sounded like Simple Minds. When I was 14, in the damned 80s, I used to say: I like better a Talking Head than a Simple Mind. I'm a fan of the eighties too! But not those 80s.
Don Eduardo Posted - 06/22/2009 : 21:59:02
I have to agree. My favourite ones are the ones that sound less like retro 80s and more like Frank Black songs (Come On Over To My House, Fort Wayne, Black Suit)
Brank_Flack Posted - 06/22/2009 : 18:50:51
In response to the thread title, i think Petit Fours may be my least favourite frank black album.
I just can't get into the whole dance pop thing. Plus, the whole retro 80's thing has been done to death in the last couple of years. I'm glad there are people who like it here, but i hope Grand Duchy will be a Frank Black side project rather than his main focus.
pot Posted - 06/17/2009 : 06:57:13
Have you tried iTunes? That's where I got it (UK).

-cult-of-ray-wassabee-
kfs Posted - 06/17/2009 : 04:18:46
I keep hearing about The Timbers.....where can I get that??
fbc Posted - 06/16/2009 : 02:33:32
mmm....fort wayne
trobrianders Posted - 06/16/2009 : 00:03:42
No main course but then it's no finger bowl either. Can't be too tough on a side dish! The Timbers for dessert ~ I'm happy.

pot Posted - 06/15/2009 : 15:21:23
Put it this way it seemed to drop off my play list a little too fast. I think it is sparsely interesting, and at times a little bit crappy.

Saying that though, I think Violet is awesome and I'm glad this album was made. It just disappointed me a little bit, I think the synth element of it comes across as too cheesy at times. I love a bit of 80's synth pop so my expectations of Petit Fours was high, but rather than sounding like A Flock of Seagulls it ended up more like The Ting Tings.

BF has his own style though, and I'm not entirely sure that a fusion of that and Violets input really works that well on Petit Fours, but that said some of it was good and I'd certainly welcome a second album if they made it, and possibly a European tour if they ever managed pull one off.

-cult-of-ray-wassabee-
Skatealex1 Posted - 06/15/2009 : 10:24:33
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

How can you pass judgement when you haven't even listened to the whole record?

I have listened to the whole or full record ............ but overall it seems really poppy in a cheesy 80's kind of way to me- not without some some good moments though- like come on over to my house and Black Suit is pretty rocking.

some of the songs seem really repetitive like Lovsick and Long Song- it just seems really poppy- lyrically and musically - and not in a good way like moneky gone to heaven or any of Frank's classic poppy songs.............................

I don't dig some of violet overdub moments like in Break The Angels when she says "woo-hoo"- it just seems really cheesy- but I guess that is the point in some ways ....... I think Ermenside isn't a bad song ether- but once Violet starts singing with that overproduced vocal sound I think it kills the song .

Volcano is fun !

I think Grand Duchy has potential but this album just doesn't work for me personally aside from 3 songs. I also dig that b-side Vapors.

Grand Duchy does seem to have a following though , so if people are really digging it- then more power to them!

what do all of you guys and girls think of the album overall?
pot Posted - 06/14/2009 : 19:09:53
Listened in full and listened to the whole not necessarily same thing, right?

-cult-of-ray-wassabee-
pot Posted - 06/14/2009 : 19:09:25
Listened in full and listened to the whole not necessarily same thing, right?

-cult-of-ray-wassabee-
Skatealex1 Posted - 06/14/2009 : 14:16:56
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

Ziggy Posted - 06/14/2009 : 10:03:32
Skatealex1 Posted - 06/14/2009 : 09:53:23
when Fort Wayne leaked- I thought this had potential to be an incredible album- which I guess it did, but now that it is out I haven't even listened to it in full since it came out . :(

Fort Wayne sounded really kick ass at the time and reminded me of the Pixies, but the album is just kinda 80's sounding to me and not so interesting - no offense to Grand Duchy
MissMaceo Posted - 06/14/2009 : 09:03:20
this thread's confusing on a few levels

this was in the making that far back?
people were circulating it even way back when?
was it the same album that's circulating now?
does that mean the current circulation is also possibly not the eventual actual release?
someone prefers this over the man's other work?

Skatealex1 Posted - 05/19/2009 : 12:35:01
Fort Wayne sounded amazing when it came out- now I am disappointed with the Grand Duchy album...... Can't win them all I guess, and some people seem to like it

villian what have I said that is so ridiculous?
fbc Posted - 05/19/2009 : 10:14:57
Looking back I can understand why Alex was so excited. My 2 year old post was based on songs and sounds that never made it onto the album (except the Fort).
vilainde Posted - 05/19/2009 : 09:46:57
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

I wonder if Skate Alex still stands behind this ridiculous claim he made 2 years before the album came out.

I can actually think of a couple of things even more ridiculous, written by alex. This does get pretty close to the top though.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Skatealex1 Posted - 05/19/2009 : 09:36:00
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

I wonder if Skate Alex still stands behind this ridiculous claim he made 2 years before the album came out.

- Brian

Which claim? That it would be released on the site? I think that would have been a cool idea for Grand Duchy but would be more effective if the Pixies did it!
Broken Face Posted - 05/18/2009 : 04:23:09

- Brian
Stuart Posted - 05/18/2009 : 03:58:07
2007... this is a little strange..

Because your candle burned too bright, that I almost forgot it was twilight
Grotesque Posted - 10/24/2007 : 12:16:01
Personaly, I love Fort Wayne but I'll stay as far as possible from Grand Duchy untill the real album arrives.
I didnt like at all getting one by one the bluefinger songs. Now when I listen to Bluefinger, the three songs I had first (T Ap, Black Tight R. and Captain) stand totally appart from the rest of the album.
misterwoe Posted - 10/24/2007 : 10:21:43
Plus, the more attention we give to Grand Duchy, the more Frank and Violet will know that the project is more than worthwhile. I mean, this the perfect venue for them to get feedback from the fans!

I can't wait until Grand Duchy comes out. This is history in the making!!!

------------------------------------------------
You're all a bunch of slaves!
misterwoe Posted - 10/24/2007 : 10:18:56
I understood that the Fort Wayne track was purposely leaked to test the waters. It's one thing to argue on the "morality" of listening to leaked music, but I don't think it's right for people to try to place their nostalgia of waiting until the official release on other people.

I agree that it is feels really good to buy the album and listen to it over and over on the day it comes out, but I'm not going to judge anyone who grabs a leak and listens. The leaks are out there, and people are going to take advantage no matter what. Of an artist does not want his material to leak, I'm sure he'll protect it accordingly. During the Bluefinger hype, FB said he appreciated all the pre-release attention we gave to the leak. I'm sure his happy just to have people listening. That's part of what being a musician is all about, right? I mean, as a musician, why should I give a crap about the record industry as long as people are listening?

And if you talk about musicians needing to make a living, well, that's what touring is for, pal. If you want to make money, record an awesome album and go on tour. It's about the fans, and it's about the music -- not so much the nostalgia and the special-ness of the release date. People like McDonald's for that same reason -- nostalgia. Why else would we eat that crap?

------------------------------------------------
You're all a bunch of slaves!
tedbra Posted - 10/23/2007 : 22:45:56
You guys, can we have just a touch of patience around here? I think listening to leaked stuff is lame. Seriously, more than half the fun is the wait and that damn anticipation. I waited for Bluefinger and I'm glad I did because its only been out a month and I'm not jonesing for new material. I think the people in this thread are the ones that looked in the closet and knew everything before they opened it X-mas morning.
stymie Posted - 10/21/2007 : 16:19:59
Fort Wayne?
http://www.sendspace.com/file/asv6dc
gary13th Posted - 10/19/2007 : 04:58:31
me too...
the email is garyb (at) filmfanatix (dot) com

----------
I joined the Cult of the Catholics, Oh when will they return ?
Ktistec.Machine Posted - 10/18/2007 : 19:24:56
If anyone out there could help me in finding a copy of both the tracks mentioned in this thread:

"Fort Wayne" and "Sweet Jesus," it would be greatly appreciated. My email is ktistec.machine@gmail.com.
Skatealex1 Posted - 09/19/2007 : 17:33:36
Maybe they'll release Grand Duchy on the upcoming grand duchy site, if that happens the wait shouldnt be too long :)

The Truth Is Out There
Wee Mac Posted - 09/19/2007 : 15:35:28
After reading Ziggy's interview with Jason Carter, Grand Duchy sounds verrrrrrryyyy tasty...

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000