-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black -- Live!
 Oct. 25th, 2006 - Montreal, QC

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cellar_door Posted - 08/11/2006 : 13:56:50
Sorry if this is a duplicate. Who's going ? I got my tickets 3 minutes after they went on sale, mostly because I have no clue how big this place is, and didn't want to miss getting tickets.

It's been a few years since I've seen FB tour, I guess the last tour before the Pixies thing. I'm really excited to check it out. Booking Thursday off work for sure. Anyone else ?
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Llamadance Posted - 11/06/2006 : 04:09:58
Did anyone get any pictures from this gig? (and would you be willing to upload them to the frankblack.net photogallery?

http://www.frankblack.net/gallery/gallery.asp

What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us -Ralph Waldo Emerson

mostasteless Posted - 11/05/2006 : 13:48:46
KAthryn - so you stayed for one song of the real set? Something is better than nothing, right?

just out of curiosity, when did you teach here at UVM? Who were the rad english teachers of the time? Know Paul Martin or Nancy Welch?

Hope you get to see a full show sometime soon
Greenthane Posted - 11/05/2006 : 06:28:45
that means soda - Wow, you really must have had some kind of interesting night, if you are just now getting back from the show. Are you alright?
that means soda Posted - 11/04/2006 : 20:11:26
Alright everyone, I finally got back from the show. Weird night, I tell you.

I dont remember much from the show, apart from the part where I was reaaaaally amazed at the way frank sang those old pixies songs; changed them a bit, and IIIIIIIIIIIIS NIIIIIICE.

Reid has some deep voice, man. Sweet and deep, like honey from a cavern hive.

Frank wasn't in the mood for a little sweet talk with the crowd. maybe he felt music was the right thing to do in front of this montreal crowd... maybe, maybe nots.

Montreal, October 1st 2002
Greenthane Posted - 11/04/2006 : 08:21:17
So has anyone found any photos or recordings of the Montreal show? There were definately a lot of folks takiing pictures there.
Erebus Posted - 10/27/2006 : 11:51:33
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

I find the whole "people from the internet" thing funny - people are so technophobic. If you were penpals you'd probably have less problem meeting them, or had talked on the phone quite a bit. People are still people. Not disparaging you, at least not meaning to, I just find the whole social attitude toward the internet fascinating.

What I hate about meeting internet people is being so human after all. Strip me of my keyboard and I become, well, one of "you". Ugh, the horror!

mostasteless Posted - 10/27/2006 : 08:39:43
soo where is the bootleg? or pictures at least? anyone? anyone?
gyaneshwar Posted - 10/27/2006 : 06:56:50
quote:
Originally posted by Czar

Well, you can get bizarre experience with 100% real world people too. Anyway.

Something I forgot to mention, FB needs glasses. The way he was struggling to read the setlist while standing was really funny. Perhaps we should open a topic about eyewear suggestions for him. Rimless or wide frames?

At the Asheville show, FB came through the crowd during Reid Paley's performance and stood at the side of the stage to watch for a bit. He was wearing black frame rectangular glasses. And a bookbag, but that's neither here nor there.

He probably just doesn't like wearing them on stage. I wouldn't wear my glasses on stage either, as hot as it gets up there - sweat makin' them slide down your nose all night.
Czar Posted - 10/27/2006 : 04:26:47
Sound was not top notch. A little too much at times, guitars saturating. It took me several bars of Ghosts to recognize it. However, the sound for the solo songs was great.
mostasteless Posted - 10/26/2006 : 21:48:02
did anyone else find that his vocals were too low in th emix for some of the songs?
Czar Posted - 10/26/2006 : 18:23:44
I think your memory is excellent, solidgold. Thx.
solidgold Posted - 10/26/2006 : 16:37:24
I'm new here.

I was at the show as well and oh boy was that a great show!

Even though it's not me that stole the set list but here's what he played in the most accurate order i can remember:

Acoustic:
HOLIDAY SONG
CACTUS
WAVE OF MUTILATION
Mr. GRIEVES
WHERE IS MY MIND ?
NIMROD'S SON

FB song:
REMAKE/REMODEL
LIVING ON SOUL
BULLET
SIX SIXTY-SIX
All My Ghosts
Horrible Day
Gyneshwar (What you want)
My Terrible Ways
I'll Be Blue
Raider Man
Calistan
I Burn Today
10%
I'm not dead (Pittsburgh)
Johnny Barleycorn
Headache
Dead Man's Curve
Suffering
That Burnt Out Rock N Roll
All Around the World
Nadine
---------
Sing for Joy

That was the 6 th time that i've seen Frank in Montreal (inlcuding 3 Pixies show) and i think it even surpassed the great show with the Catholics back in 2003 at Club Soda.

What a night to remember.
Czar Posted - 10/26/2006 : 16:06:15
Well, you can get bizarre experience with 100% real world people too. Anyway.

Something I forgot to mention, FB needs glasses. The way he was struggling to read the setlist while standing was really funny. Perhaps we should open a topic about eyewear suggestions for him. Rimless or wide frames?
coastline Posted - 10/26/2006 : 15:43:49
I've had bizarre experiences with "people from the Internet." In fact, I recently had an unwanted intrusion on my property from an "Internet person." More specifically, that person first contacted me through this very forum. I won't go into details, but there is certainly precedent for the idea that there is a level of intimacy that begins online that can be weird when it's transferred to the "real world."

When do I get my first bee, damnit?
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 10/26/2006 : 15:23:59
I find the whole "people from the internet" thing funny - people are so technophobic. If you were penpals you'd probably have less problem meeting them, or had talked on the phone quite a bit. People are still people. Not disparaging you, at least not meaning to, I just find the whole social attitude toward the internet fascinating.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Czar Posted - 10/26/2006 : 14:00:43
Yep. Although "dancing" may be inaccurate to describe my hulk going up and down frantically and gyrating sometimes randomly.
cellar_door Posted - 10/26/2006 : 13:22:02
"Too bad you were too shy to introduce yourself"

Oh it's not really like that. I'm not sure how to explain it, I just never really have a compulsion to meet people from the internet. I've always kept the two lives seperate, I'm sure there are pros and cons to it all.

Which guy were you czar ? Glasses dancing a lot guy ?

I was a hawk and I just flew...yeah
Czar Posted - 10/26/2006 : 09:57:46
Yeah, the "oooooooh-ooooooooh" from the crowd was impressive. It is also true that the band could be tighter but hey, these guys just started together.

Too bad you were too shy to introduce yourself! it would have been nice to put a face on a err... handle.
cellar_door Posted - 10/26/2006 : 09:18:24
"Where was Cellar_Door?"

haha I was totally lurking behind you guys. I talked to a few of you, just never said who I was. hehehehe

I ended up sleeping in Montreal, no way I was going to miss any FB goodness.

So all the people who ripped the setlists from the stage, and nobody can post the full one yet ? Darn I wanted to remember all the songs.

I found Frank's voice was the best I've ever heard it (with the exception of parts where any artist might get a sore throat).

Did they play more Pixies then most places ? I feel like he's pressured into doing that in Montreal because of the response the Pixies songs would get say 5-7 years ago. Seemed like a lot of tracks. Mind you I still loved it. Most of the time I dislike hearing Where Is My Mind, just because 5-10 years ago I found all the people would constantly request it, when Frank was trying to be FB, and not the Pixies. But last night was the most I ever enjoyed it, because of what the crowd did. When everyone did the "ooooooooooooo", man that gave me chills.

I found the band a *little* less tight then the Catholics. You could hear it all over All My Ghosts. But that's just because of the amount of time they've been together. I bet in a year it'll be super tight.

Best song for me was 666. When he went into the

"I'm willing to die, I'm willing to die, I'm willing to die
If the band will play 6
If the band will play 6-60
If the band will play six hundred and sixty
If the band will play 6-60........6"

oh man that ruled. I still can't believe all that fun was 25$. Damn that seems like highway robbery.

Czar Posted - 10/26/2006 : 06:18:54
Oh yeah, I came across Mostasteless. Hi guy, nice meeting you! Where was Cellar_Door? Did you make it to the bus after?
Czar Posted - 10/26/2006 : 06:12:22
What a night.

Started early at le Café with Greenthane (Salut my friend! Nice meeting you), 2 non-boarders and Kathryn (too bad you had to leave soooo early. Life is full of constraints and obligations). Great chat, beers, food. Proceeded to le National just in time for Reid Paley. More beer.

Paley was good with his trio although the third man was nowhere to be seen (maybe hidden in the contrebasse). Did 2 FB songs (Pittsburg and... what was the other one?).

FB came on stage right on time at 10 for about 6 Pixies songs solo. Let's see...

Where is My Mind?
Cactus
Mr. Grieves
Nimrod's Son
The Holiday Song
Wave of Mutilation

That was amazing. Much better than the FBF recording or any solo performances I heard of recently. He was really mastering the guitar, the pace of the songs, he was playing with us. Incredible. This was worth most of the ticket.

More beer.

Then the Full Band came on stage. I was front & center and had the setlist taped right there in front of me. Some guy took it after the show and I asked him to post it here and he said he would. That being said, no surprises at all in this set and as I predicted they opened up with Remake/Remodel. I'm hot.

The band is tight, FB is totally in control, they all seem to enjoy being there. Can't say that the older material sounds like the original but good enough, although we're definitely missing the keyboards for Headache. Johnny Barleycorn rocks one hell of a lot live, I went beserk for All My Ghosts, Sing for Joy was simply great. I liked the rythm intro for Nadine. All in all, a solid performance by a bunch of seasoned musicians. FB didn't talk much (almost none) except for a few words in French at the very end (I can't even remember waht he said but it was not a cheesy "Merci Montréal!")

Chat with the band after. Stumbled upon EDF in the main room, he seemed to be lost. I thanked him for his performance and his participation to the Podcast. He agreed this was good. Billy Block is really cool with his hair and smile. Great drummer, great guy. Older than I am, I was tempted to tell him that I wanted to grow old like he does but decided this was a bad move. I thanked him for his performance. Exchanged a few words with Duane Jarvis, real nice guy, asked my name. Told me how great was the audience here and he is right, the crowd in Montreal is knowned to be generous. Talked about Dead Man's Curve recording, how great this song is. I thanked him for his performance.

The only guy I did not thanked for his performance was The Man himself. Didn't want to chase him around, it's probably better to keep the aura of mystery intact, I guess.

Ended up the night with yet more beer with a cheerful buddy with hom shared the awe of an astonishing evening.

Oh, I'd like to mention that I did my share of proselytism last night. I had prepared an oversized Frank Black.net logo on a letter-size sheet which I flashed around (yes it was me Suckerfish. Why didn't you come by and shake hand?). Several people told me they were lurkers already and other said they would come, including fans who seemed to know all the lyrics by heart. I'm always surprised to see than even über-fans may not come on the internet that much, we take for granted that everybody goes on the web. Some girl took pictures and I asked her to post them here. I hope she will. I folded the sign into a real flyer when FB showed up and threw it into the crowd. What a marketing technique.

This Means Soda, I saw the safari hat. It was you? I was expecting you to meet us for drinks before. Hey, next time I guess.

Well, that's about it. I really enjoyed myself last night and when I see shows like this it helps me cope with the passage of time, keeping me happy despite adding another year to the cruel reality of my age (yes, my birthday today).

(sorry for the double post, my mistake. I added a few things on the second so mods, please delete the first).

Thank you everybody for your performance!
frank_black_francis Posted - 10/26/2006 : 03:47:42
Billy Block has a "very happy to be here, very happy to be alive" way about him....awesome awesome awesome show....this is my 8th time seeing FB or FB&Cs and have to say it was the BEST!

Hey, I saw the guys with the Safari Hat, and I saw the Dancing Space Cadets...anyone see me? I was the guy clapping between songs....but its a very dinstinctive clap...a little off-beat with a double-clap after every second measure.
mostasteless Posted - 10/25/2006 : 23:53:19
me likes billy block very much so
that means soda Posted - 10/25/2006 : 21:55:40
I vwas the one with the safari hat

Montreal, October 1st 2002
SuckerFish Posted - 10/25/2006 : 21:26:01
Best Concert .... ever

Czar were you the one next to Frank holding up the with computer paper sign?

I was next to EDF with the dancing space cadets. It was a blast!!

-He bought me a soda and tried to molest me in the parking lot?-
Czar Posted - 10/25/2006 : 13:39:44
I'll ask him.
mostasteless Posted - 10/25/2006 : 13:20:55
canada bound in t-minus 20 minutes

this is gona be great... any chance of frank playing a solo acoustic set at the start of this show as well?
frank_black_francis Posted - 10/25/2006 : 10:12:29
quote:
Originally posted by Czar

Yeah, I guess. Are you joining us before the show, fbf? I'll mark the table with an oversized FB.Net logo in case you can't find us. I'll be with 2 others, I assume Soda will be 3 also, perhaps Kathryn will step in, Cellar_Door, that makes us about 8.

See ya all, we'll be blue.

I'd like to go...however, I'll be in class until 7:30pm. Have a good one.
cellar_door Posted - 10/25/2006 : 07:18:47
lol I might end up sleeping in Montreal if FB comes on late. I hope he makes it on for 10 :P

coastline Posted - 10/24/2006 : 20:02:12
If Greenthane gets drunk, ask him to dance like Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil. You won't regret it.

When do I get my first bee, damnit?
Czar Posted - 10/24/2006 : 19:44:39
That's the sign... of my beer behavior... ah, forget it. ;-)
Greenthane Posted - 10/24/2006 : 19:37:25
Czar - Not sure if I'll make it, but I'll give it a shot. I'll be the confused looking guy. I'll look for the sign.
Czar Posted - 10/24/2006 : 18:59:57
The Café is 4 blocks east of Le National, which is near Beaudry. It was recommended by a friend.
Czar Posted - 10/24/2006 : 17:45:17
Doors open at 19h30, show at 21h00. Greenthane, are you coming to the Café before the show?
Greenthane Posted - 10/24/2006 : 17:23:41
Uh, well the DC show started late apparently. The opener was scheduled for 7:30, and didn't start until like 9:45. Holy crap. That's late. Then frank came on at 10? A 15 minute opener.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000