-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Song of the Day: River Euphrates

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
song oracle Posted - 10/27/2004 : 05:34:19
Today's random song of the day is River Euphrates.

What do you think of it?

lyrics
Ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, etc.
Stuck here out of gas
Out here on the Gaza Strip
From driving too fast

Two three let's
Ride a tire down River Euphrates, ride a tire down
Ride a tire down River Euphrates, ride a tire

Ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, etc.
Dead Sea make you float
One sip from the salty wine
Dead Sea make you choke

Two three let's
Ride
A
Tire
32   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
VoVat Posted - 11/17/2004 : 17:23:28
quote:
The guitar riff at the end of the B-side version matches the guitar solo from Jesus & The Mary Chain's "Head On." J&MC released "Automatic" in 1990. I assume the Pixies are paying homage to the Reid brothers, but I'm not sure ...

Well, Frank DID say the beginning was "a fake Jesus and Mary Chain song."

"Signature quotes are so lame." --Nathan
madtempest Posted - 11/17/2004 : 05:13:08
The Complete B Sides, version Two of this song is where it's at!
Triakel Posted - 11/16/2004 : 23:22:02
I amend my previous comment. Right ... your car is out of gas, you pull off a tire, you ride the tire down the River Euphrates. That's where the song starts. I forgot about the broken-down car ...

On the Surfer Rosa version, Frank sings "ride the tire" throughout the song, but then shouts "ride the tiger" at songs' end (or else he enunciates in a way that is gutteral enough to unintentionally make the hard "G" sound.) For years my only experience with the song was from Surfer Rosa, so I assumed "tiger" was the lyric throughout.

However, in addition to the B-side version (which has no "tiger"), I listened to several live takes from this year's tour. In Austin and St. Paul, Frank shouted "tie-er" at the end. It was very clearly not "tie-ger."

Maybe he's saying "liger" (bred for its skills in magic.)
hWolsky Posted - 11/16/2004 : 19:46:32
Je kiff à mort, nique ta mère.. Han han... Fais tourner ta salope.

HW
ElevatorLady Posted - 11/16/2004 : 13:52:38
quote:
Originally posted by Jettison

i always thought, his car broke down (out of gas) so he grabbed a spare tire and used it as a vessel to get down the river.

that's my $0.02.

- - - - -
www.thecroakers.com

That's what I always thought. First time anyone agrees. Stuck out of gas - so take off the tire and ride it down the river. Literally.

chrischob Posted - 11/16/2004 : 12:53:22
I always thought it was Tiger until I read this post. When they played the song in Minny I really paid attention to what he said and I am sure it was 'Tire'.

Chris

Chris Choboter
Jettison Posted - 11/16/2004 : 09:22:16
i always thought, his car broke down (out of gas) so he grabbed a spare tire and used it as a vessel to get down the river.

that's my $0.02.

- - - - -
www.thecroakers.com
Triakel Posted - 11/16/2004 : 08:33:56
How's this for decisive? I think Frank sings both "tire" *and* "tiger."

I just listened (with good headphones) to both the B-side and Surfer Rosa versions of River Euphrates. He clearly enunciates both ways. At the end of the SF version, he is clicking his "G" -- "Ride the Tie-GER." But earlier in the same track, he sings "tire."

In the B-side version, the "Tie-ER" is very clear.

I don't know how many of you write music/poetry, etc. But I often find myself changing words to please my ear. The verse makes sense both ways, yet carries different meaning.

My fatuous hypothesis: Frank started with "Ride the Tiger," because the Tigris *does* run into the Euphrates, and seems the most natural line if you're writing down lyrics. But as he sang it, perhaps it came out "tire" and he thought, "Yeah, I'm getting in my car. I'm hopping on my bike. I'm gonna ride the TIRE."

Another question: When was the B-side version released? (I downloaded my copy from EMusic and don't have Frank's liners). Is it on the 1988 Gigantic single, or was it later? The guitar riff at the end of the B-side version matches the guitar solo from Jesus & The Mary Chain's "Head On." J&MC released "Automatic" in 1990. I assume the Pixies are paying homage to the Reid brothers, but I'm not sure ...
Wade Posted - 11/15/2004 : 13:59:22
This one is one of my favorite just for the way it sounds. The Hi/Lo dynamic is GREAT on this one. The sound on the SR version is better produced, but I like the chorus better on the B Side, he sounds a little crazier and it's louder. I will also second the above comment that part of my liking it better could be that I have heard it less.... but I DO like the chorus better on the B.

TRANSMARINE Posted - 11/15/2004 : 11:42:28
quote:
Originally posted by VoVat

quote:
Doesn't the Tiger river flow into the Euphrates?

You're thinking of the Tigris, I believe. The Tigris and Euphrates are the two rivers that defined the boundaries of the area known as Mesopotamia.

Yes...thats it! I stick with 'tiger' as opposed to tire

Catchin' blue in his eyes that were brown

-bRIAN
VoVat Posted - 11/03/2004 : 16:11:10
quote:
Doesn't the Tiger river flow into the Euphrates?

You're thinking of the Tigris, I believe. The Tigris and Euphrates are the two rivers that defined the boundaries of the area known as Mesopotamia.

billgoodman Posted - 10/31/2004 : 14:13:48
quote:
Originally posted by someguycalledjames

quote:
anyone have a suggestion for "THE" definitive live version?

Yep the vocals are a bit more casual on the 2004 shows, less screaming & the ending is a bit premature. best version on Subbacultcha boot IMHO.

Yes, the open with river euphrates
on that boot
it's pretty neat

They played it in Amsterdad too, and according to that
version they put lot's of fx on Franks voice at the reunion shows

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
toeknee Posted - 10/31/2004 : 13:37:48
The B-side version is superior I think, but it goes on too long at the end.
TRANSMARINE Posted - 10/31/2004 : 12:42:46
Doesn't the Tiger river flow into the Euphrates? I'm going with 'tiger' on this one.

Catchin' blue in his eyes that were brown

-bRIAN
TameReg Posted - 10/28/2004 : 12:25:40
Both versions are great. I probably prefer the B-side version right now, as I have played the other version to death.
Black Dress Posted - 10/28/2004 : 05:30:52
The B Sides version is the best!
someguycalledjames Posted - 10/28/2004 : 05:12:45
quote:
anyone have a suggestion for "THE" definitive live version?

Yep the vocals are a bit more casual on the 2004 shows, less screaming & the ending is a bit premature. best version on Subbacultcha boot IMHO.
Douglas Posted - 10/28/2004 : 05:12:12
Love this song. I'm also infavor of the B-side version. that awesome guitar part, the screamin'... basically everything metioned above. I have a video of them playing it live (might be the Brixton Academy?) that I found on the internet, where he screams his brains out at the "one sip from the salty wine". I watch it over and over. love it.
offerw Posted - 10/28/2004 : 04:57:59
I love this song but I have to agree that I'm yet to hear a good live version from the 2004 tour.

wilhelm
Black_francis_ Posted - 10/28/2004 : 03:54:01
teehee. Although i like the way Dave plays more on the B-side, i think the shorter version on Surfer Rosa is marginally better. marginally
whoreatthedoor Posted - 10/28/2004 : 02:45:14
quote:
Originally posted by MikeW

I love this song. The b-side version is better. I wish Gil Norton would have produce SR.......

AAAHHHHH!!!! A witch!!! A witch!!! Burn Her!!!

"¡¡¡Bien!!!, dame el ritmo. Así es mejor" - Jonathan Richman
MikeW Posted - 10/27/2004 : 23:47:32
I love this song. The b-side version is better. I wish Gil Norton would have produce SR.......
bukminster Posted - 10/27/2004 : 18:41:22
This may be my favorite Pixies song of all -- I agree that it's tire/tyre -- but I so want it to be tiger...I like the imagery better.

B-side version for me -- the clincher is the "TWO THREE" that BF screams out just before the second chorus -- sounds angry and totally mental.

I have to say that I've been disappointed in the live versions of the song that I've heard both on Disclive (Brixton 6/5/04) and on some of the older boots (Vienna 89, Madison 1/92) -- anyone have a suggestion for "THE" definitive live version? (One where they really nail the ride, ride....)?

Thanks!
Levitated Posted - 10/27/2004 : 18:23:15
The B-side/Gigantic ep version rules!!! the ''LET'S'' part (I think it's Frank's voice) is awesome and also the guitar part that was edited by albini and the Kim voice saying uuhh ah uuhh ah at the end, it's a much better version that the one on SR in my opinion. Since Doolittle tour they play the b-side version but this year they're playing the SR version, lately though they're adding the guitar part in the middle which is cool too.
Thomas Posted - 10/27/2004 : 12:22:45
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

I love the "LET'S!" in the background during the 2nd chorus. I guess it's Dave Lovering shouting.
Denis

Are you talking about the B-side version? If so, I love that version just because of the "Let's!"

Isn't it Black singing that part. Could it really be someone else? I know it sounds different, but couldn't that be his vocal range?

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
PixieSteve Posted - 10/27/2004 : 12:10:02
it's tyre too. it's the meaning that counts!
dayanara Posted - 10/27/2004 : 11:17:37
Well since we're having the tire/tyre/tiger debate (it's TIRE), how about the Surfer Rosa vs. B-Sides debate? My vote goes to the SR version. It just seems more.... kickass, somehow.

Around here, intolerance will not be tolerated
PixieSteve Posted - 10/27/2004 : 08:07:36
i just made a cocky post saying well i thought it was tyre but then i found out that's just a british variation of spelling.
whoreatthedoor Posted - 10/27/2004 : 07:45:44
It's still my fave Pixies song, and maybe number two or three in my all-time list.

"¡¡¡Bien!!!, dame el ritmo. Así es mejor" - Jonathan Richman
Adam Posted - 10/27/2004 : 07:07:12
The absolute best screaming song they do, especially live. Love those live versions from back in the 80's wher BF just screams his lungs out.

Free the Heel!
vilainde Posted - 10/27/2004 : 06:47:03
Ah, the old tire/tiger debate... One of the songs we're trying to cover with my band, and it's a lot of fun to play.
I love the "LET'S!" in the background during the 2nd chorus. I guess it's Dave Lovering shouting.

Denis

"I believe in your perfect face..."
Black_francis_ Posted - 10/27/2004 : 06:42:51
I thought it was tiger, oops. Still, very good song. very strong chorus chord sturcture

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000