-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 A Career In Music

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 06/07/2004 : 15:15:41
Today it all came to a head. I have decided that I just can't continue in my current employment. I really want to work in the music industry, 'cos it interests me greatly. I'm not talking about being a musical artist 'cos that's just pipe dreams with my guitar playing. Ideally, getting into A&R would be great (or something along those lines) but I realise that with no experience in the industry and at my age (27) it is going to be very difficult to achieve.

Does anyone have any useful tips, or general information on this subject? I would be grateful for your thoughts.

Pixies!?!? Pixies!?!? Don't talk to me about the Pixies!!!.........OK, talk to me about the Pixies!!!
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 06/10/2004 : 07:28:47
They do many takes of one song and then pick the best one, I think.

The two Black Riders come from the beginning and end of a recording session where the song had gotten increasingly weirder.

"When 5000 posts you reach / Look as good you will not, hmmm?"
PixieSteve Posted - 06/09/2004 : 17:09:25
erm. seeing as they record live, i'm sure there are times when they have to do retakes more than most bands!
VoVat Posted - 06/09/2004 : 17:02:56
quote:
Big caveat on the studio thing: unless you associate with a studio known for a particular kind of music, be prepared to sit through countless repititions of music you CANNOT STAND while the producer insists on "just one more" take.

Not if you record the Catholics! (Not that I'm implying the Catholics are music that anyone here cannot stand, just that they don't do multiple recordings of songs. Or am I wrong about that?)

Cattle in Korea / They can really moo.
n/a Posted - 06/08/2004 : 16:01:01
Oh god I'm doing it! look! I'm killing threads left right and centre! I'm on one crazy thread killing spree now! lock up your threads, tre is in the building!

tre-who-kills-threads
Cheeseman1000 Posted - 06/08/2004 : 15:32:30
Dead Leaves and the Dirty Sluts.

There was no excuse for that. Sorry.

"It's a far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Isn't it? Mmmmm. Marvellous."
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 06/08/2004 : 15:23:42
Dirty as you like!

Pixies!?!? Pixies!?!? Don't talk to me about the Pixies!!!.........OK, talk to me about the Pixies!!!
n/a Posted - 06/08/2004 : 15:17:21
it's funny because it's true. But if he will wave that thing around!!! It's not my fault if the eye is drawn. They are a dirty band... dirty dirty sluts the pair of them

tre-who-kills-threads
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 06/08/2004 : 15:15:18
You think the girls are admiring his guiatr skills? They are looking at his crotch. He is renowned for his tight trousers and the snake that lurks within.

n/a Posted - 06/08/2004 : 15:11:20
Ah, you're actually wrong there, they are drumsticks of power that make meg jiggle in ways that I do not understand.. well did not notice until it was pointed out to me by my drooling compadres

men. tch!

tre-who-kills-threads
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 06/08/2004 : 15:07:19
They looked like standard drumsticks to me.

n/a Posted - 06/08/2004 : 15:01:52
I don't think from what I can gather meg's appeal lies in her drumming skills... saw them in liverpool and the lads I was with were more interested in her "cracking pair"

And given that she can't sing for shit either I don't think they mean her lungs..

ahem

The world is not my home I'm just passing through
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 06/08/2004 : 14:37:39
Let me assure you, Jack is a very good guitarist. I have seen him live a few times and he is very good. IMO anyway. Meg is an average drummer, to say the least.

The Calistanian Posted - 06/08/2004 : 14:29:39
Actually, I was saying you're probably a better musician than any of the White Stripes are...so if they can make it, most assuredly you can too. All in all it was a slam against the White Stripes, whom I don't like.

1. I am a fsh with no i's.
2. You must be wearing Zubaz, 'cause you're daring to be different.
3. I am a man with 3 fingers...but that doesn't count my index finger nor my thumb.
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 06/08/2004 : 14:09:31
I can't play guitar as well as Jack though. I just think that maybe I missed the boat on that one.

The Calistanian Posted - 06/08/2004 : 13:53:31
Hey cool. I'm 27 too. That's my general information on this subject.

However, go for the musician part of it. You'll be a rock star in no time. If the White Stripes can make it big...so can you.

1. I am a fsh with no i's.
2. You must be wearing Zubaz, 'cause you're daring to be different.
3. I am a man with 3 fingers...but that doesn't count my index finger nor my thumb.
Adnan_le_Terrible Posted - 06/08/2004 : 13:43:53
Cold showers.

And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 06/08/2004 : 13:31:42
Hmmm, maybe I should keep getting in and out of showers!

Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 06/08/2004 : 13:31:12
Oh I know you were and I appreciate it. I am not actually down RIGHT now though, I feel OK at the mo 'cos I just got out of the shower. It's just in general, my life needs more.

apl4eris Posted - 06/08/2004 : 13:26:08
Yeah, I realized that, was just trying to cheer you up gloomy gus -nevermind.

If the only tool you have is an elbow macaroni,
all your problems look like Schroedinger's cat.
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 06/08/2004 : 13:24:20
Erm I didn't mean lonely as in no friends. I have plenty of those, the best ones too.

apl4eris Posted - 06/08/2004 : 13:18:26
Do something daring HPM! Don't be sad and lonely. There is still a chance to join the Tiger Lillies, and learn applied quantum physics in your free time and then experiment with pylons every night at 3 AM!

http://tigerlillies.com/2003/index.php

If the only tool you have is an elbow macaroni,
all your problems look like Schroedinger's cat.
Adnan_le_Terrible Posted - 06/08/2004 : 13:09:02
Before, when guys were feeling depressed, they would join the army or the navy.

Ah, those were the days!

ps : the Queen's old Army makes a man of you!

And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 06/08/2004 : 12:50:20
To be honest, whilst I was performing my shit job today I realised that it wasn't just my job that was making me unhappy at all, it's my loneliness. I need someone to get through this crazy world with.

Pah, the grass is always greener!

Adnan_le_Terrible Posted - 06/08/2004 : 11:49:06
Two of my best friends have jobs I would love to have : one of them works at a record label, and the other has to read American books and decide which one should be translated...

However, I must say that they don't like their jobs at all...

n/a Posted - 06/08/2004 : 11:23:03
changing my name to tre-who-kills-threads

n/a Posted - 06/08/2004 : 11:12:05
Fair point well presented and not one I can argue with really. I find myself almost almost in my subconscience creating disasters. I'm supposed to be going off to do a postgraduate course in september and have cleverly landed myself in too much debt to clear and a job until then that I hate in a city I detest where I don't know anyone anymore. Bring on the highs!

Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 06/08/2004 : 11:05:31
I can handle the lows, it's the boring, mindnumbing tedium inbetween the highs and lows that is really starting to depress me.

n/a Posted - 06/08/2004 : 10:59:04
Hate to say but thats life! It's all uppity downy and shit, but I'll keep my lows just so I can appreciate my Highs when they come

Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 06/08/2004 : 10:54:59
Yeah aqua green Tre.

Thanks guys. I am not in a very happy place at the moment. Life sucks!

n/a Posted - 06/08/2004 : 10:42:18
And you never know until you give it a go!!! I'm buying my guitar next month and i'm re-learning it because I want to.. do I buy a green one?

The Champ Posted - 06/07/2004 : 21:14:57
Yeah fuck giver, dont listen to people saying ya can't do it give up, cause you will at least have some fun trying to get somewhere, and thats the point i think
frank_black_francis Posted - 06/07/2004 : 20:55:39
....If there is one thing I know for sure about life, its that you can do whatever the hell you wanna do. Give it a try and see if you like it. Wow thats vaguery at its best! Thanks Grandma. But the message rings true.
SpudBoy Posted - 06/07/2004 : 20:27:12
When I was in it, I really dug it. There are a lot of sleazy nose-lip-bags like everywhere else, but the ratio is better. I got out because I was dangerously close to starvation and it was nightlife or day job. You meet a lot of really cool people, learn a ton of stuff, and if you do a lot of live work you will probably get in fights with club owners who decide not to pay (if you're in booking, band management, or performing), or musicians/booking/mgmt that piss off half the crowd, break soundcheck time, or or break stuff. If you want to start part time I would recommend calling mid level local studios and seeing if they need an assistant that will work cheap to free. Run some cable, set up mics, amps, etc., make coffee and meet a ton of people in the business. That will lead you to roadie work, live sound, and who knows what else. Yeah the corporate labels can suck the soul out of anyone but there are still some spaces in between that make it worthwhile. Big caveat on the studio thing: unless you associate with a studio known for a particular kind of music, be prepared to sit through countless repititions of music you CANNOT STAND while the producer insists on "just one more" take. Even music you like can get old that way but the control room atmosphere typically alleviates the monotony. Promotions work can be fun but for some reason I found it draws the largest population of wankers in that business. Best of luck - I hope to one day rejoin the ranks myself. Come on lotto!

*festoon*
Cheeseman1000 Posted - 06/07/2004 : 15:28:37
Good point Cruty... actually two good points. It really ain't as glamorous as its cracked up to be, from my limited experience.

"It's a far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Isn't it? Mmmmm. Marvellous."
TheCroutonFuton Posted - 06/07/2004 : 15:25:06
Cheesey's right...Don't do it. It's an evil industry to be involved in...

:EDIT: And oh my fucking God...No caps or exclamation points!

"Freedom is a state of mind and the condition and position of your ass. Free your mind and your ass will follow." - Funkadelic

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000