-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 "Bluefinger" cover art (?)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Frog in the Sand Posted - 07/07/2007 : 03:18:57

http://www.alapage.com/-/Fiche/Musiques/947987/bluefinger-black-francis-rock-inde.htm?fulltext=black%20francis&id=10511183802423&donnee_appel=GOOGL

As they say, "TBC"...

an undisclosed number of visitors can't be wrong
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tiny Team Concerts Posted - 07/18/2007 : 11:10:27
Maybe The Residents deigned the album cover.

Hell, maybe Julian and Frank are both in The Residents.

Maybe I'm in The Residents.

hahahahahaha

--
Tiny Team Concerts
"Good music for nice people"
Grotesque Posted - 07/18/2007 : 11:08:00
quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve

analysing shadows. what next, grotesque?

"Idiot" is just her sig.

OK I'm ridiculous, but those fake shadows really kill me. It's like when I buy a chicken soup and realize there is no chiken in it but a chemical chicken taste.

The Residents are crazy with those fake shadows, they even add them to their old record artwork on the reissues !!!
laporto Posted - 07/18/2007 : 04:11:20
I'm not a big fan of Herman Brood's painting, so I'm glad he didn't go for one of his works. Putting his son's work on the cover is a nice thing to do, very personal.
I still prefer the weird, arty style covers of the pixies era though.
Jason Posted - 07/17/2007 : 20:44:56
I love album packaging as much as anyone and, in some cases, think it's almost as important as the music... and I really couldn't care less about the dropshadow. Looks fine to me! It's a good cover.
Jefrey Posted - 07/17/2007 : 16:46:11
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

Ask Julian. His word is final I'd say. He's what? Ten? A ten year old might think the dropshadow's COOL. Or you could sit him down and explain that a good stock photographer could reshoot a much better result if you made it worth his while.

I don't work with stock so sure I distrust effects. But you'll never hear a photo editor in editorial talk about preserving the integrity of an image, not now. It's not just too obvious, it's too late. The guys in creative are having way too much fun. And so what if I veto an effect? Still got to get the damn thing interpolated.

If you shoot stock for a living then cuss dropshadows all you want, otherwise it's all lip service.

If you drop "interpolated" on most people, you just might get them to uphold the veto out of sheer confusion.

== jeffamerica ==
madtempest Posted - 07/17/2007 : 11:37:50
I am pretty sure he did the painting, and Cooking Vinyl added the effects, shadow, and background...
Daisy Girl Posted - 07/16/2007 : 18:20:32
Julian is very talented. I love his use of color. Hopefully there will be much more of his art to come on this and other projects....

thanks for sharing mt.

bluefinger
trobrianders Posted - 07/16/2007 : 17:56:03
Ask Julian. His word is final I'd say. He's what? Ten? A ten year old might think the dropshadow's COOL. Or you could sit him down and explain that a good stock photographer could reshoot a much better result if you made it worth his while.

I don't work with stock so sure I distrust effects. But you'll never hear a photo editor in editorial talk about preserving the integrity of an image, not now. It's not just too obvious, it's too late. The guys in creative are having way too much fun. And so what if I veto an effect? Still got to get the damn thing interpolated.

If you shoot stock for a living then cuss dropshadows all you want, otherwise it's all lip service.

coastline Posted - 07/16/2007 : 16:22:38
Trobrianders, I'm dying to hear what you have to say about all this.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Jefrey Posted - 07/16/2007 : 14:07:34
quote:
Originally posted by Grotesque

Well, anyway we're talking about Photoshop "easy effects". True professionals dont use them. But Frank Black staff work with them on a very regular basis!
You see that "effects" column? If you NEVER use it, you're probably a true pro.

Is it OK to use photoshop to create a dropshadow if you make your own macro from scratch? Or should you use some other program to do the dropshadow? Or should there just be no dropshadows?

And actually, true professionals do use them, because if they do something else, their corporate customers say, "can we put a drop shadow on it?" and the professional tries not to roll his eyes, sucks it up, and does what the customer wants ;)

== jeffamerica ==
PixieSteve Posted - 07/16/2007 : 13:50:21
analysing shadows. what next, grotesque?

"Idiot" is just her sig.
Grotesque Posted - 07/16/2007 : 13:27:38
Well, anyway we're talking about Photoshop "easy effects". True professionals dont use them. But Frank Black staff work with them on a very regular basis!
You see that "effects" column? If you NEVER use it, you're probably a true pro.
cassandra is Posted - 07/16/2007 : 08:47:11
just banish photoshop, and we will live in a safe, beautiful and free world, believe me (well there'll still be some other little details to settle, but... almost)

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Grotesque Posted - 07/16/2007 : 08:20:40
BANISH PHOTOSHOP TREATMENTS FROM INDY ROCK!!!!
Look the residents, they made beautifull clips in 16mm, then awfull synth clips.
cassandra is Posted - 07/16/2007 : 01:32:10
quote:
Originally posted by frankoholic

great cover! except maybe the cheap photoshop dropshadow.

yep, I agree about the "photoshop" treatment, but it's still a really great and beautiful cover

coastline Posted - 07/15/2007 : 07:38:50
I know we'd start overanalyzing the cover -- just like we have the album -- any day now.
Jefrey Posted - 07/15/2007 : 00:13:40
Wow, great!. I like how the arrow is not actually through the heart, but behind it. What does it mean? The heart is broken, but not because it was shot, only because it thinks it was shot.

Not being shot through the heart, it doesn't give love a bad name. I think love should keep its good name.

== jeffamerica ==
Brank_Flack Posted - 07/13/2007 : 12:40:44
i like it!
kfs Posted - 07/13/2007 : 07:08:30
Interesting!

Grotesque Posted - 07/13/2007 : 06:39:06
Modern art try to copy kids, it's well known.
But the very large black crack on the heart is really a kid trademark.
No artist would use the black that way, it would be "a lack of taste".
Sometimes kids just put black everywhere after they've done a colorfull painting, and they dont feel they messed up.
kfs Posted - 07/13/2007 : 06:24:13
I don't think anyone's actually said this but...
this reminds me of a Herman Brood painting quite a bit!

frankoholic Posted - 07/13/2007 : 02:33:16
great cover! except maybe the cheap photoshop dropshadow.
fbc Posted - 07/13/2007 : 01:40:56
they're one talented family

fits say last splash. me say smitten.
mikaelp75 Posted - 07/12/2007 : 11:59:47
Yeah, my favourite cover too! (And I really like Teenager, Show Me Your Tears and FMRM.)
billgoodman Posted - 07/12/2007 : 10:52:03
best Frank Black cover yet (although I like Cult of Ray, Honeycomb too)

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
cassandra is Posted - 07/11/2007 : 22:56:16
quote:
Originally posted by Frog in the Sand

Thanks MT. Nice cover. Fresh and full of life. I shouldn't say that but it reminds me of "Last Splash"!

I hope for you that Francis won't read this...

1965 Posted - 07/11/2007 : 16:35:43
Great cover, Love it!

I have the key to #902
pixiestu Posted - 07/11/2007 : 15:26:40
Love the cover. I like that 'BLACK' is in black and 'BLUE' is in blue. I know it's obvious, but I like it.

"The arc of triumph"
trobrianders Posted - 07/11/2007 : 11:37:28
Could have been a terrible idea, turns out to be a coup, much like the album itself. Midas touch. I'm loving where Frank's at right now. Nice work Julian.

mr.biscuitdoughhead Posted - 07/11/2007 : 10:53:17
i wonder if he picked it because of "you can't break a heart and have it".

;
Frog in the Sand Posted - 07/11/2007 : 10:44:58
Thanks MT. Nice cover. Fresh and full of life. I shouldn't say that but it reminds me of "Last Splash"!

Carl Posted - 07/11/2007 : 10:00:30
Wow, what a scoop MT!! Nice one, Julian.

"I hate how the reptile dreams it's a mammal. Scaley monster: be what you are!!" - Erebus.
mr.biscuitdoughhead Posted - 07/11/2007 : 08:49:45
dude that's sooooooooo cool!

i thought julian was like 8? maybe not...

;
coastline Posted - 07/11/2007 : 08:20:40
He's what, 10? That's fantastic, regardless of his age. This is definitely one of the better solo FB covers -- as if some effort and thought finally went into one.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
kfs Posted - 07/11/2007 : 08:06:22
It's a Julian Clark!
Cool!

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000