-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 CD of each date?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jangis Posted - 04/01/2004 : 13:06:41
From Billboard

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000477944

Real or BS?

The Pixies will make every show from their upcoming 15-date North American tour available for sale immediately after the performance, Billboard.com can reveal. The group will be touring with a recording truck from DiscLive that will press a limited run of 1,000 CDs per show (2,000 for the May 1 performance at the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in Indio, Calif.). The double-CD sets will sell for $25 at the venue or $22 if they're pre-ordered through DiscLive's Web site.

At each venue, fans will be able to purchase a voucher prior to the concert. Approximately 10-15 minutes following its conclusion, they will trade the voucher for the show on CD, including artwork specific to that performance. Any CDs that are not sold at the show will be available from the Disc Live site; CDs can also be mailed to the buyer. There is a two CD limit per customer.
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pixie801 Posted - 04/11/2004 : 09:49:49
JakeWalker - Congrats on this brilliant idea and implementation. I'm sure your company will go very far!

I'm curious about the artwork and covers. Who designs them? Do the artists have any inpuut? Have you already designed any covers for the Pixies tour? Can we see one? (please? please!?)

Thanks!
idiot_sleep Posted - 04/06/2004 : 19:33:27
I was reading about people ordering the entire shows. I would love to trade for all of these shows. I ordered the inneapolis show, but can't afford the others. I have a good amount of Pixies shows. My website is www.phishhook.com/lists/do_the_evolution Email me back at sport_music@hotmail.com if anyone wants to set up a trade for all the shows. Thanks!

The Dewey Decimal System... What a scam that was!"
- Kramer
The Passion Of El Diablo Posted - 04/06/2004 : 14:21:05
I bought two copies of each show. What an awesome deal!!!
yourfavoritenid Posted - 04/06/2004 : 11:18:30
Cult of Frank: Thanks for the info. I've probably seen him around town and not even raised an eyebrow.

jo: I don't see the Pixies doing any sort of DIY release after being a corporate band their entire career. It would be great if they did, but I'd just about bet my life against it. Of course, my idea about a live album in unlimited quantities is pure speculation, but if they do it you can guarantee it will be on a major. Keep in mind that ultimately only six corporations own all of the majors and their networks of subsidiary labels. I don't know what label Frank Black has been going with since "Teenager of the Year", but it might just be a lesser label in the 4AD "family".
brysonmeunier Posted - 04/06/2004 : 10:32:16
quote:
Originally posted by JakeWalker

We're really backed up on the customer service site, but we're working to get through everything as soon as possible. We will be emailing you new barcodes so you can print them. I apologize for the delay, but we've been inundated with questions and requests since we announced the Pixies tour. We will get to you, I promise!

Cool. Great news. Thanks Jake!

Bryson
Founder/Proprietor/Vitiator
- the HEY cafe -
http://www.arnoldjacksontheband.com/pixies.htm
JakeWalker Posted - 04/06/2004 : 09:44:46
We're really backed up on the customer service site, but we're working to get through everything as soon as possible. We will be emailing you new barcodes so you can print them. I apologize for the delay, but we've been inundated with questions and requests since we announced the Pixies tour. We will get to you, I promise!

On another note, the Indio show is about to sell out, so if you haven't bought your Coachella discs yet, you should do so now.
brysonmeunier Posted - 04/06/2004 : 08:40:12
Great idea which I promptly took advantage of. Ordered Minneapolis and Winnipeg as soon as I heard. But...

Anyone else having problems with DiscLive customer service? I opened a ticket the day after I placed my order and have yet to get a response. Never waited more than 2-3 days for a resolution. Seems kind of unusual.

Here's the ticket/problem if anyone can help. Hoping I don't need the original barcode as it disappeared right after I placed my order. Anyone know? Jake? Thanks,

Bryson

Subject: problems with order pickup
Posted by Bryson Meunier

Hello. Last night I ordered two cds from your company: one for the Pixies show in Minneapolis and one for the show in Winnipeg. Since I'm going to both of these shows I selected the pickup option, but now I'm afraid I won't be allowed to pick up the order as planned.

I don't have a printer at home, so when I got the barcodes for each disc I couldn't print it out as I was instructed. I was hoping that the equivalent would be in my previous orders listing on this site, but I don't see it. Can you either send me the same screen with barcodes that I saw last night so I can print it out at work or assure me that I will be able to pick the discs up after the concert with just the information listed in my previous orders? The current method is not working for me. I would be happy to provide whatever identification materials you require if security is an issue. Thanks in advance.

Bryson
Founder/Proprietor/Vitiator
- the HEY cafe -
http://www.arnoldjacksontheband.com/pixies.htm
hibster Posted - 04/06/2004 : 07:02:39
ordered the 1st saturday show thinking they may be more up for it on the weekend...

bit curious as to the quality of a cd mastered that quickly though.

this is why events unerve me
jo Posted - 04/06/2004 : 02:12:48
quote:
Originally posted by yourfavoritenid

jo: Good point, but there's nothing stopping them from signing a one album deal with any label they want. 4AD seems only logical because that was their label for so many years.

logical to us, however, I think if they'll do anything, they'll do it themselves - because they can... it'd be nice for them to come back to 4AD, but I can't see it!
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 04/05/2004 : 18:19:17
He's in Portland. Check his bio out, though I should have an update done for his birthday.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
yourfavoritenid Posted - 04/05/2004 : 14:40:08
Prozacrat: This post is off topic, but I believe you were the one who dangled the tidbit about Frank Black living in Oregon on another thread. Could you elaborate on that? What town does he live in? Don't worry, I'm not a stalker, just curious. I haven't paid much attention to his solo career, so I certainly am not up on any minutia, but I'm really surprised to hear that. I've lived in Oregon my whole life, and generally speaking it's a "small pond" type of place. Even in Portland there are not many celebrity residents, and they tend to draw a lot of attention.
billgoodman Posted - 04/05/2004 : 14:30:27
Which show should I purchase? I hate to pay 32 dollar, but I would like to have at least one of them...

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
yourfavoritenid Posted - 04/05/2004 : 14:19:22
jo: Good point, but there's nothing stopping them from signing a one album deal with any label they want. 4AD seems only logical because that was their label for so many years.

As for the live albums, even if the tunes ultimately get spread around for free on the internet, only the official copies will be legitimate collectors items.

I would also point out that if anyone out there really gives a shit about "ethics" in music, you would not only cease to be a non-paying consumer who only burns cds, but also ditch the entire racket known as the corporate "music industry".
Manny Posted - 04/05/2004 : 11:00:09
From Pitchfork:

"DiscLive's website reveals that their methods for recording concerts involves "a patent-pending proprietary technology" within a "mobile mastering and manufacturing facility" that allows them to create 800 CDs in 20 minutes-- the first 200 of which are finished less than five minutes after the show ends. All recordings are captured off a soundboard feed using ambient microphones, which allows for a professionally mastered recording."
JeffS Posted - 04/05/2004 : 10:16:48
I have already ordered my discs for the Calgary show, but for delivery after. I am skeptical that they can produce 2000 cd's (1000 copies of double cd) within 15 minutes. (within 1-2 hours might be more realistic)
Jake: please tell me how that's possible?
Please provide feedback in this forum for how long it takes to get your cd's after the show.

prozacrat Posted - 04/05/2004 : 10:01:00
Yeah, I too am wondering about the ethics involved. They've said that they won't press any more CD's beyond the initial pressing, and if I knew that were true, I'd like to see the shows available elsewhere, and not on bootlegged copies on eBay where somebody else will be making money earned by the Pixies. If there's any chance that they'll do more pressings in the future, which would no doubt cause some moaning from those who thought they were getting a one-time only sort of deal (but that's okay), then I'd hold off from downloading entire shows, but wouldn't mind being able to hear a few choice tracks from each show to get a better idea of what I'd like to buy.

"And her head has no room."
prozacrat Posted - 04/05/2004 : 09:58:58
Yeah, I too am wondering about the ethics involved. They've said that they won't press any more CD's beyond the initial pressing, and if I knew that were true, I'd like to see the shows available elsewhere, and not on bootlegged copies on eBay where somebody else will be making money earned by the Pixies. If there's any chance that they'll do more pressings in the future, which would no doubt cause some moaning from those who thought they were getting a one-time only sort of deal (but that's okay), then I'd hold off from downloading entire shows, but wouldn't mind being able to hear a few choice tracks from each show to get a better idea of what I'd like to buy.

"And her head has no room."
rivum Posted - 04/05/2004 : 07:20:54
my view on the bootlegs:
if they've already sold all of the discs, then there should be no harm in someone ripping and seeding on stg or some other source, provided there is no-one selling them. obviously, you cannot stop that, but i think that offering it up for download does nothing negative to the band, since they couldn't have sold any more anyway, given that there are no more to sell. indeed, all it does is offer up more exposure for the band.
thought, opinions?

rivum
jo Posted - 04/05/2004 : 03:47:23
quote:
Originally posted by yourfavoritenid

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pixies ultimately release a more traditional live album at some point, available in unlimited numbers on 4AD, and with songs culled from various shows on the tour.

the Pixies are no longer signed to 4AD, so it's highly unlikely (despite Pitchfork hinting the opposite as per their news item about this today...!!)
kempes Posted - 04/05/2004 : 03:00:28

With all the completists etc ... devouring all the stuff going on sale, FBs nightmare could yet come thru!

There'll be no one at the gigs coz all the tickets will have been snapped up by collectors and paired off with the live cds and framed and put up on their walls.

;-)

kempes
johnc Posted - 04/05/2004 : 01:51:47
Myself and a mate have bought all the forthcoming live CDs except for Minneapolis which was sold out. If anyone can help me out with 1 or 2 copies on the night I'd be very grateful. (I had already posted a request on the Minneapolis thread).

THANKS!!
johnchilton69@hotmail.com
jetblackriver Posted - 04/04/2004 : 19:30:15

I was just wondering if anyone out there who's going to the Minneapolis show would be willing to be so nice as to buy me a cd of the show at the show? If there's one show I would like to have, that would be the one. I would obviously pay for it and for your time and trouble, plus throw in some extra pixies/fb goodies! Please let me know: jetblackriver@yahoo.com . Thanks!

Sean
TheCroutonFuton Posted - 04/04/2004 : 16:30:55
quote:
Originally posted by porkbone1

quote:
Originally posted by TheCroutonFuton
Yeah, it's called OCD, haha. (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"

Be sure and wash your hands after you unwrap each CD!

The joke has come upon me

Wash? Are you kidding me? You meant boil in water and then douse with rubbing alcohol, right?

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"
yourfavoritenid Posted - 04/03/2004 : 21:39:48
I wouldn't be surprised if the Pixies ultimately release a more traditional live album at some point, available in unlimited numbers on 4AD, and with songs culled from various shows on the tour. Maybe even such an album featuring a whole set from Brixton Academy, or a collection of songs taken from the four Brixton shows. I'm sure the whole idea of the disclive series is based on the collectability aspect. I'm going to both Eugene shows and will probably buy one of each, so it's just another reason that I seriously hope they will play a distinctly different set each night. I think buying all fifteen live discs is most definitely overkill and will leave people with many similar versions of the same songs. Plus, pre-ordering the whole set would cost $330. Then again, I guess if people are flying from all over the place to catch the shows, cost is obviously not an object. We must have more than a few trust fund babies on this forum! I would add that given the disclive series, bootlegs should be a moot point. I know I wouldn't bother making or buying a bootleg taped on a minidisc in someone's pants when I can get one or two of these professional boots to memorialize the experience of catching the Pixies on their reunion tour!
porkbone1 Posted - 04/03/2004 : 18:20:02
quote:
Originally posted by TheCroutonFuton

Be sure and wash your hands after you unwrap each CD!

The joke has come upon me
TheCroutonFuton Posted - 04/03/2004 : 13:24:04
quote:
Originally posted by roomloo

And some people just always have to be a completist, it's in their blood...

Chip Away Boy Posted - 04/03/2004 : 12:45:13
i wan't the first show :(

keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel
pixiesseixip Posted - 04/03/2004 : 12:18:40
quote:
Originally posted by frankblacktaper

Or will there be a situation where you re-evaluate larger runs of indemand shows, and if so how long would you like us to give you as a window to re-evaluate and maybe let people buy minneapolis again.

tough issues, but real issues, how do you and the band want this handled. If its clear then there are good ways to deliver these things to people who missed the 14 hour to buy the minnesota show etc.

At least according to the billboard.com article:

"Beginning today (April 1), DiscLive is making 500 CDs from each show available for pre-order online. If all 500 copies are pre-ordered before a given show, only 500 additional copies will be sold at the venue. According to a spokesperson, the discs will not be re-pressed once all copies have been sold."

I think they're trying to make these limited edition collectables. (Which is cool, if you got in on the action soon enough)
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 04/03/2004 : 07:47:43
If it were me, I'd pick up Winnipeg and then some other show - anybody's guess as to which. As it turns out, I'm getting Winnipeg & Saskatoon because, well, I'm at both shows, and FB's last show in Saskatoon was great - the crowd was incredibly into it and the boys on stage were on fire. But a Pixies show could be a pretty different animal, and it's in a much more acoustically poor venue, though I trust that Disc Live will get a good recording anyway.

As for bootlegs of the show being on the FTP, meaning not the Disc Live copies, I'm not sure what we decided last time on this (with the HearItAgain shows). I think Frank said it was OK still, as long as we weren't trading the actual HearItAgain recordings, but let me get back to you.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
frankblacktaper Posted - 04/03/2004 : 07:47:08
Jake

say I know this has been an overwhelming success and posing issues you probably not have run up against. In the underground there are grumblings about Minnesota already being sold out, which means you have maximized what you wanted out of that gig. So does this mean the band ONLY WANTS 1000 people to have the gig. Or does the band just want revenue from the first 1000...bottom line, the ones that sell out and we have no ability to buy, can we share them via the common places, sharingthegroove or ftps. Or will there be a situation where you re-evaluate larger runs of indemand shows, and if so how long would you like us to give you as a window to re-evaluate and maybe let people buy minneapolis again.

tough issues, but real issues, how do you and the band want this handled. If its clear then there are good ways to deliver these things to people who missed the 14 hour to buy the minnesota show etc.
roomloo Posted - 04/03/2004 : 06:20:05
I don't think anyone who pre-ordered the whole tour will feel ripped off no matter what the setlists. I'm guessing they bought them not so much just for the music, but for the packaging (remember, each show will have its own artwork) and the limited-edition aspect. I'm sure these will all have a pretty decent street value that people will be able to brag about. And some people just always have to be a completist, it's in their blood...
benji Posted - 04/03/2004 : 01:45:31
this is fantastic news, but also rather weird.

but i think those who pre-ordered the entire tour are going to be left with 15 double cd's of the same songs in roughly the same order.
well lets hope not.

but - i cannot justify buying the entire tour, but i might get away with 2 shows - so does anyone have any recommendations as to which 2 would be cool...obviously the first show would have been great, but i'm too late for that one, but hopefully i'll be able to trade for that later on....
but any suggestions?
if not, i'll just pick places with cool names.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / I think that man deserves a DB!"
soundofataris Posted - 04/02/2004 : 22:44:31
Question for the mods-will this affect shows making it to the ftp? My understanding was that as long as a show wasn't commercially released, a boot of it could be made available on the server. But now, with all the NA shows being offered like this, does that put bootlegging out of the question?

I want to be a singer like Lou Reed
Amazed Posted - 04/02/2004 : 18:42:06
Wow I haven't bought a CD not counting the blank ones :)for 4 years.
Im gonna buy one @ the Edmonton show and listen to it on my way back to calgary, then I might buy one there. This is a great idea!
JakeWalker Posted - 04/02/2004 : 18:27:34
Just to be clear; we are saving at least 500 discs for on-site sale for each show, so if you're going, head to the DiscLive booth before the show starts and you'll be able to buy a voucher you can trade for the disc at the end of the show.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000