-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Not worth a topic, but at least postable...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6014 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2024 :  01:27:21  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:
Originally posted by jake3

Update (16 Jan 24)

Top 10 Most Streamed Pixies Songs On Spotify:

6) All I Think About Now - 61.2m




What could possibly be the reason for this?



Probably the same reason as why Harness Your Hopes is the most streamed Pavement-song (a b-side!)

Some algorithm-magic!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2966 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2024 :  18:54:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The surreal story behind HCYM.

Not sure if this was posted before but here you go.

https://americansongwriter.com/the-surreal-story-behind-here-comes-your-man-by-pixies/
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

962 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2024 :  02:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://twitter.com/MarkDurnin/status/1763662119726403960

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

962 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  03:30:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paz has left the band and Emma Richardson has taken over. Seems she left Band of Skulls a few months ago.
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  04:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Paz has left the band and Emma Richardson has taken over. Seems she left Band of Skulls a few months ago.



i'm not sure this belongs in the thread "Not worth a topic, but at least postable..."

:)
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1109 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  22:56:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
:D lol


it's educational
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  02:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
at 2nd manchester show, Charles explains the origins of "Pixies vs The Pixies"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF-WEySqYY
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2024 :  15:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Almost started a new topic, but felt this fit here. I am sure some people are aware, but I found the backstory for this song very interesting. A cover of a “fake” cover.

https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/30395/

Not sure how to make the link live.

Edit: or do I?

Edit: Cecilia Ann is the song.

________________
“make…some…room”

Edited by - moonruler on 03/20/2024 02:25:52
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
912 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2024 :  09:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was on a flight to Glasgow a couple weeks ago via United Airlines and was surprised to see that they had a full pro-shot concert from a Paris date last year.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2966 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2024 :  15:16:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
5 pixies songs every guitarist needs to hear - a readable article

https://guitar.com/features/opinion-analysis/start-me-up-five-essential-pixies-songs-that-guitar-players-need-to-hear/
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2966 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2024 :  09:56:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed this one. A classical musician breaks down The Happening after first listen. When she starts playing it on the harp it reminds me of how much that song sounds like something Badalamenti would have written. Her interpretation of hypnosis is also interesting. What a great song

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpa0gzYo7Ag
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2024 :  20:09:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've noticed an uptick in YouTube reaction videos to Pixies music in the last year or two. it seems like an organic trend. perhaps the mundanity of recent music trends has led to more interest in bands that do things differently? check out some of these results: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pixies+reaction
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2966 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2024 :  04:10:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
April 17th 35 years ago Doolittle

https://glidemagazine.com/300672/35-years-later-pixies-craft-essential-indie-101-listening-with-doolittle/
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2024 :  12:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was something I found years and years ago but I never posted about it at the time. I then completely forgot how I found it until just now. It shows Kim and Kelley copywriting music as far back as 1980. It gives you a bit of an idea how long Kim had been writing music before she started in the Pixies. Kim and Kelley were both born on a date that corresponds to a 'Gemini' astrological sign so I wonder if that explains the titles? I wonder if they were performing under that name too?

Title: Gemini Collection
Registration Date: 20 Aug 1980
Notes: Words & music by Kim Deal, performed by Kim and Kelly Deal. 1 sound cassette. 23 selections.
URL: https://publicrecords.copyright.gov/detailed-record/12152408

Title: Gemini II
Registration Date: 08 Jun 1981
Notes: Words & music by Kim Deal. 1 sound cassette.
URL: https://publicrecords.copyright.gov/detailed-record/8132555

Title: Gemini III
Registration Date: 20 Oct 1981
Notes: Words & music by Kim Deal. 1 sound cassette.
URL: https://publicrecords.copyright.gov/detailed-record/8171826

Title: Gemini IV
Registration Date: 29 Jul 1981
Notes: Words & music by Kim Deal. 1 sound cassette.
URL: https://publicrecords.copyright.gov/detailed-record/8147112

Title: Gemini V
Registration Date: 1 Mar 1982
Notes: Words and music by Kim Deal. Words Kelley Deal. 1 sound cassette.
URL: https://publicrecords.copyright.gov/detailed-record/8205714

Title: Gemini VI
Registration Date: 10 May 1982
Notes: Words and music by Kim Deal. Words Kelley Deal. 1 sound cassette.
URL: https://publicrecords.copyright.gov/detailed-record/8227470

Title: Gemini VII
Registration Date: 01 Nov 1982
Notes: Words and music by Kim & Kelley Deal. 1 sound cassette.
URL: https://publicrecords.copyright.gov/detailed-record/8279409

Title: Gemini VIII
Registration Date: 14 Nov 1983
Notes: Words and music by Kim & Kelley Deal. 1 sound cassette.
URL: https://publicrecords.copyright.gov/detailed-record/8403538

Title: Diamonds In The Rough
Registration Date: 30 Jan 1984
Notes: Words and music by Kim Deal. 1 sound cassette.
URL: https://publicrecords.copyright.gov/detailed-record/8410991

Edited by - jake3 on 04/30/2024 13:15:58
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2024 :  12:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Presumably the 8 song Pixies demo tape from 1986...

Title: The Pixies
Registration Date: 09 Jul 1986
Notes: 1 sound cassette.
URL: https://publicrecords.copyright.gov/detailed-record/8686100
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6014 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2024 :  01:20:15  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

This was something I found years and years ago but I never posted about it at the time. I then completely forgot how I found it until just now. It shows Kim and Kelley copywriting music as far back as 1980. It gives you a bit of an idea how long Kim had been writing music before she started in the Pixies. Kim and Kelley were both born on a date that corresponds to a 'Gemini' astrological sign so I wonder if that explains the titles? I wonder if they were performing under that name too?

Title: Gemini Collection
Registration Date: 20 Aug 1980
Notes: Words & music by Kim Deal, performed by Kim and Kelly Deal. 1 sound cassette. 23 selections.
URL: https://publicrecords.copyright.gov/detailed-record/12152408

Title: Gemini II
Registration Date: 08 Jun 1981
Notes: Words & music by Kim Deal. 1 sound cassette.
URL: https://publicrecords.copyright.gov/detailed-record/8132555

Title: Gemini III
Registration Date: 20 Oct 1981
Notes: Words & music by Kim Deal. 1 sound cassette.
URL: https://publicrecords.copyright.gov/detailed-record/8171826

Title: Gemini IV
Registration Date: 29 Jul 1981
Notes: Words & music by Kim Deal. 1 sound cassette.
URL: https://publicrecords.copyright.gov/detailed-record/8147112

Title: Gemini V
Registration Date: 1 Mar 1982
Notes: Words and music by Kim Deal. Words Kelley Deal. 1 sound cassette.
URL: https://publicrecords.copyright.gov/detailed-record/8205714

Title: Gemini VI
Registration Date: 10 May 1982
Notes: Words and music by Kim Deal. Words Kelley Deal. 1 sound cassette.
URL: https://publicrecords.copyright.gov/detailed-record/8227470

Title: Gemini VII
Registration Date: 01 Nov 1982
Notes: Words and music by Kim & Kelley Deal. 1 sound cassette.
URL: https://publicrecords.copyright.gov/detailed-record/8279409

Title: Gemini VIII
Registration Date: 14 Nov 1983
Notes: Words and music by Kim & Kelley Deal. 1 sound cassette.
URL: https://publicrecords.copyright.gov/detailed-record/8403538

Title: Diamonds In The Rough
Registration Date: 30 Jan 1984
Notes: Words and music by Kim Deal. 1 sound cassette.
URL: https://publicrecords.copyright.gov/detailed-record/8410991



Release it all!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2024 :  12:07:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

quote:
Originally posted by jake3

quote:
Originally posted by jake3

An interesting Spotify stat:

'All I Think About Now' is the 10th most listened to song in the entire Pixies catalogue having more listens than any other song on ‘Come On Pilgrim’, ‘Bossanova’, ‘Trompe Le Monde’, ‘Indie Cindy’, ‘Head Carrier’ or ‘Beneath the Eerie’, as well as more listens than any FB/BF/Catholics song or any Breeders song, excluding 'Cannonball'.

Quite the achievement for Paz's first songwriting contribution!



Just to update this 'All I Think About Now' is still rapidly gaining listens on Spotify. It's now the 7th most listened to Pixies song on the platform at 39.9 million listens behind 'Where Is My Mind?' (662.3m), 'Here Comes Your Man' (169.9m), 'Hey' (145.5m), 'Debaser' (81.9m), 'Monkey Gone To Heaven' (68m) and 'Gouge Away' (40.5m). Quite unbelievable really. From what I can gather it's a Spotify playlist thing.



Update (16 Jan 24)

Top 10 Most Streamed Pixies Songs On Spotify:

1) Where Is My Mind? - 810.6m
2) Here Comes Your Man - 203m
3) Hey - 169.3m
4) Debaser - 93.1m
5) Monkey Gone To Heaven - 83m
6) All I Think About Now - 61.2m
7) Gouge Away - 51.8m
8) Wave of Mutilation - 41.4m
9) Gigantic - 35.2m
10) Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf) - 34.4m

x) Cannonball - 115.6m

Monthly Listeners:

Pixies - 9.6m
The Breeders - 1.2m
Frank Black - 152k
Frank Black & The Catholics - 14.4k
Black Francis - 12k
Grand Duchy - <1k


Update (05 May 24)

Top 10 Most Streamed Pixies Songs On Spotify:

1) Where Is My Mind? - 870.5m
2) Here Comes Your Man - 218.4m
3) Hey - 177.8m
4) Debaser - 97.2m
5) Monkey Gone To Heaven - 88.9m
6) All I Think About Now - 70.7m
7) Gouge Away - 55.6m
8) Wave of Mutilation - 51.9m
9) Gigantic - 36.9m
10) Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf) - 36m

x) Cannonball - 121.3m

Monthly Listeners:

Pixies - 9.5m
The Breeders - 1.2m
Frank Black - 143k
Frank Black & The Catholics - 15.5k
Black Francis - 12.7k
Grand Duchy - <1k
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2966 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2024 :  06:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jake3 for the stats

I wonder what the highest 2.0 songs are besides AITAN
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
413 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2024 :  06:44:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Thanks Jake3 for the stats

I wonder what the highest 2.0 songs are besides AITAN



I remember making this list right after Doggerel was released...

1) 26,646,022 - All I Think About Now
2) 5,780,305 - Greens and Blues
3) 5,115,726 - On Graveyard Hill
4) 5,012,642 - Indie Cindy
5) 4,732,358 - Catfish Kate
6) 3,392,287 - Human Crime
7) 2,909,109 - Head Carrier
8) 2,813,708 - Tenement Song
9) 2,577,877 - Classic Masher
10) 2,519,517 - Magdalena 318

I think Might As Well Be Gone and Um Chagga Lagga were 11 & 12. Maybe There's a Moon On has crept into the top 10 now. I wonder if there have been big changes other than AITAN sky rocketing.
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
413 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2024 :  06:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually it looks like Human Crime has overtaken Greens and Blues now.

I wanted to make a playlist of the top 12 out of curiosity . I definitely spent more time looking at the numbers than I did listening to the playlist.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2966 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2024 :  06:19:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that’s an interesting list

Some make sense to me, others not so much

I personally love the Tenement Song, my favorite track on Head Carrier, but didn’t think many liked it
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
944 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2024 :  13:47:11  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
RIP
https://variety.com/2024/music/obituaries-people-news/steve-albini-dead-big-black-shellac-nirvana-1235996121/

--------
baby poop, curry
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
819 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2024 :  14:52:30  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I feel like Albini's death may deserve its own thread, seems like a huge topic.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1228 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2024 :  04:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I completely agree but then nobody has...Why is that I wonder? Because he was a bit sniffy about the band? Personally I'd be sadder if Gil Norton passed away.

Anyway there is no shortage of nice tributes underneath this Guardian story. His influence on the sound of the 90s is without doubt.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/article/2024/may/08/steve-albini-us-alt-rock-musician-and-producer-dies-aged-61
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2024 :  14:38:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only recently realised how many albums Albini produced - or was a sound engineer for. Seems like most/all artists he worked with trusted and respected him a great deal.

Still to listen to Shellac, is on my list. Would rather a new Pixies album produced by Albini than Dalgety but hey ho it is what it is. Gary Smith from Fort Apache passed away last year as well, he was also instrument for Come In Pilgrim.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000