-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 What are you watching?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
trobrianders Posted - 06/19/2013 : 03:04:59
TV shows and the like. Just started watching The Returned (Les Revenants), a French Twin Peaksy drama series about a bunch of coach crash victims who return from the dead to their Alpine town. Neither the victims nor the townsfolk know why this has happened. The drama is played completely straight, I think that's why it's so gripping. Two episodes in so far. Denis you been watching?

pot Posted - 01/21/2022 : 15:42:38
I know this might be a controversial opinion, but I'm starting to think Ozark kind of owns Breaking Bad's ass a little bit. Maybe it's just because I'm more recently familiar with Ozark that I think that and had I watched them in the other order I might be thinking the reciprocal about them. It's definitely close.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 01/16/2022 : 00:21:57
As somebody who will record a two-hour podcast about a TMBG song, I really can't criticize. More power to him!
Bedbug Posted - 01/15/2022 : 13:38:29
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I find myself watching Rob Ager film analysis videos from time to time.

What do people think of him?

I am a fan. His stuff on Alien is especially good. Also really enjoyed a Blair Witch Project video from last year.

Definitely good stuff from him on Alien. Almost all his stuff is good, though i don't play video games and I can't really imagine sitting through an hours long analysis of video game subtleties.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 01/13/2022 : 23:30:26
quote:

I am a fan. His stuff on Alien is especially good. Also really enjoyed a Blair Witch Project video from last year.
pot Posted - 01/13/2022 : 12:40:25
Valerian and the City Of A Thousand Planets

Picked this up last on Netflix and I'm watching it thinking to myself - this reminds me a lot of The Fifth Element. Turns out it's only the latest Luc Besson!

This is some piece of work this. No idea what the story is but it's just such a visually stunning experience. Got bits of everything in there somewhere, completely over the top like The 5th Element on an acid trip. Steam punk burlesque or something maybe a good description of Besson's sci-fi style - nice to see a piece of cinema that at times is quite trippy, like something from Barbarella or a Pink Floyd video.

Family friendly Disney stuff, but worth saving a fat joint for.
Bedbug Posted - 01/09/2022 : 11:07:49

Personally I like him even if I think some of his points are a bit of a stretch.
Stevio10 Posted - 01/01/2022 : 12:41:32
quote:

I'm watching all of the Harry Potter movies for the first time, except the first one which will be my 2nd time. Up to the 6th one tonight. I don't feel like I'm exactly the audience (never been into wizard stuff) but it's been a fun random little assignment to myself.

The Nick Cave song moment is very moving. I didn't think I would enjoy the movies but I did.
Stevio10 Posted - 01/01/2022 : 12:37:36
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

[quote]Originally posted by hammerhands

I finally saw two documentaries Iíve been meaning to watch. I found them on Tubi, with commercials.

1. Bet, Raise, Fold. Comic-tragedy. About being an online poker player just before Pokerís Black Friday.

2. Stiv: No Compromise, No Regerts. I learned there are more albums Iíve never heard, Stiv Bators was a nut, and for the first time Iím glad I wasnít there.
[/quote

Don't know much about Stiv Bators but I like the Dead Boys. Anything about Rocket From the Tombs / Pere Ubu in the documentary? Don't envy the 70's punk lifestyle!

Pere Ubu showed up on an early concert tour poster, the name was not uttered. I donít recall much about Rocket From the Tombs, but quite a bit about Frankenstein, Stivís other bands back to the late 60ís and his naked insanity from that period.

Thanks! I'll check it out
hammerhands Posted - 01/01/2022 : 11:03:49
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

I finally saw two documentaries Iíve been meaning to watch. I found them on Tubi, with commercials.

1. Bet, Raise, Fold. Comic-tragedy. About being an online poker player just before Pokerís Black Friday.

2. Stiv: No Compromise, No Regerts. I learned there are more albums Iíve never heard, Stiv Bators was a nut, and for the first time Iím glad I wasnít there.
[/quote

Don't know much about Stiv Bators but I like the Dead Boys. Anything about Rocket From the Tombs / Pere Ubu in the documentary? Don't envy the 70's punk lifestyle!

Pere Ubu showed up on an early concert tour poster, the name was not uttered. I donít recall much about Rocket From the Tombs, but quite a bit about Frankenstein, Stivís other bands back to the late 60ís and his naked insanity from that period.
pot Posted - 01/01/2022 : 10:53:30
I visited two castles that were in Harry Potter last year.
Bedbug Posted - 01/01/2022 : 10:25:40
It's funny that I'm turned off by the thought of your Harry Potter assignment, when I just started my seventh X-men movie in a row and have three more to go (at least three I think).
Troubles A Foot Posted - 12/31/2021 : 23:29:25
They get much better starting around the third one. I think they may just get better and better with each one.
Bedbug Posted - 12/31/2021 : 03:28:29
Couldnít finish the first Harry Potter years ago, good luck with the assignment.

Stared the book of Boba Fett.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 12/30/2021 : 09:37:15
I'm watching all of the Harry Potter movies for the first time, except the first one which will be my 2nd time. Up to the 6th one tonight. I don't feel like I'm exactly the audience (never been into wizard stuff) but it's been a fun random little assignment to myself.
Stevio10 Posted - 12/29/2021 : 10:34:43

[/quote

hammerhands Posted - 12/28/2021 : 08:12:19

pot Posted - 12/25/2021 : 05:38:43
Started watching Don't Look Up Last night - from the first half an hour I'd say 6/10 sounds about right
Bedbug Posted - 12/25/2021 : 03:48:27
Donít Look Up

It tried hard, had some good moments, felt as now as one could hope for

6/10
pot Posted - 12/25/2021 : 01:26:25
Day Of The Triffids (2009) - two part mini-series I remember the trailers when it came out but never watched it. It's actually pretty good - reckon also beyond the story from the book there's massive potential for a full blown series there as well, continue the story.
Bedbug Posted - 12/22/2021 : 06:07:57
I've got one more X-men movie left to go, then it's on to the Wolverine trilogy.
Newo Posted - 12/22/2021 : 01:44:51
Superhero movies are the latest in a long line of power fantasies for the powerless (being the children or very stoned adults who enjoy them). Harry Potter, Star Wars, Hunger Games etc, all about someone who discovers they are special and possess all the talents, and people will pay to live through that vicariously for a while, especially in the current times when our vulnerability and commonality is at the fore. There's not much human psychology to get behind like you'd find in other films, I mean the billionaire arms dealer's conflicted relationship with his dad? gtfoh. (I know that's not the point of these movies, which is paper-thin characters as avatars for the desires of the spectator, but still I find it funny when they hire directors of more relatably human movies to direct a handful of dramatic scenes while giving the bulk of the movie to the visuals department so they can put on robot suits and go pew-pew for an entire act.)

--

Allen Ginsberg says you got no soul. The ancient Egyptians say you got seven of these bastards, and Pharaohs got fourteen, what they get for being Pharaohs.
Bedbug Posted - 12/21/2021 : 10:30:58
If you're an older chap who never read the comics I can't imagine wanting to sit through 7 X-men films that are all 2.5 hours long.

Bill Maher said something every movie being super heroes or virtue signaling. That's why the Bachelorette is so refreshing.
pot Posted - 12/19/2021 : 03:13:31
I probably would have loved all these superhero films these days as a kid, but as an adult I find them extremely tedious.
Bedbug Posted - 12/19/2021 : 03:09:16
I think you'd really enjoy it. There's dozens of seasons of both The Bachelor and The Bachelorette, plus Bachelor in Paradise which takes place on the beach.

I've been watching the entirety of the X-men movies. Fun stuff. You know, when we were kids we could have only imagined seeing our favorite superheroes in such realistic looking movies. All we had was Spidey on the Electric Company, Lou Ferigono as Hulk, Adam West as Batman, and Linda Carter as WW.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 12/17/2021 : 16:23:27
I don't even know what that is.
Bedbug Posted - 12/17/2021 : 07:19:39
quote:

The Beatles - Get Back docuseries. Absolutely incredible.

Also finished up the debut season of Chucky (loved it), and still incredibly enjoying Dexter: New Blood.

Enjoying the new season of Always Sunny.

Still chugging through Boardwalk Empire. It's a slog, and depressing, but it's kind of prestige comfort food. You basically know what you're gonna get, and nothing hits too hard. It's kind of a shallow show, that is beautifully produced.

Someone posted a clip of the new SATC thing on twitter and I thought it was the worst minute of anything I've ever seen.

Have you been watching this year's season of The Bachelorette?
Troubles A Foot Posted - 12/14/2021 : 20:09:04
The Beatles - Get Back docuseries. Absolutely incredible.

Also finished up the debut season of Chucky (loved it), and still incredibly enjoying Dexter: New Blood.

Enjoying the new season of Always Sunny.

Still chugging through Boardwalk Empire. It's a slog, and depressing, but it's kind of prestige comfort food. You basically know what you're gonna get, and nothing hits too hard. It's kind of a shallow show, that is beautifully produced.

Someone posted a clip of the new SATC thing on twitter and I thought it was the worst minute of anything I've ever seen.

pot Posted - 12/14/2021 : 11:59:46
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Never Seen Sex On The City is it any good?

The original SOTC series feels pretty dated these days, but that can be entertaining in its own way. If you're looking for a new series to spend some time on you could do worse.

I was into the first series of SATC before most girls in this country - it was originally a one off and then became really popular. The first series was different because it featured short segments of random New Yorkers sharing their quirky thoughts of wisdom and it was quite original and slightly off beat - before it turned into a cult sensation for the nouveaux 21st Century It Girl.
Bedbug Posted - 12/14/2021 : 11:02:47
quote:
Originally posted by pot

The original SOTC series feels pretty dated these days, but that can be entertaining in its own way. If you're looking for a new series to spend some time on you could do worse.
pot Posted - 12/14/2021 : 08:29:20
Bedbug Posted - 12/14/2021 : 07:51:48
Not really a fan of SOTC but I did watch the first two episodes of And Just like That.
pot Posted - 12/12/2021 : 01:09:55
quote:
Yes, special effects wise Dune is worse than movies that came before it, for some reason.

Yes, I still like the creepiness of Lynch's vision, especially when contrasted with the new one which is pretty straightforward.

But the new one is better

I like old really dated looking sci-fi but this was horrific. Don't know much about the plot either apart from some ore called spice they mined on this planet to make you live for thousands of years or something - I suppose not knowing much about the plot is to be expected from Lynch though.

Speaking of reboots - I ended up watching the first ep of Ulysses 31 - a cartoon set in space that I absolutely loved as a kid - this would make a great series or film with real actors. I actually forgot how far out and trippy it was, which is probably why I liked it so much as a kid - it was like nothing I'd ever seen. Good animation too.

---

There's a whole bunch of seasons to be coming out over the next year that I/we've been waiting for and were delayed by "the pandemic" - starting with The Expanse Season 6!

Caught the first ep last night - good stuff as usual but they're wrapping it up and there's only 6 eps to the final season, even though there are more books taking the story forward? Some TV execs need a boot up the arse these days.
Bedbug Posted - 12/11/2021 : 18:21:10
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:
Are you talking about 1980s or 2020s?

The original version obvs, I doubt the remake would look dated just yet

Yes, special effects wise Dune is worse than movies that came before it, for some reason.

Yes, I still like the creepiness of Lynch's vision, especially when contrasted with the new one which is pretty straightforward.

But the new one is better
pot Posted - 12/10/2021 : 20:11:06
quote:

The original version obvs, I doubt the remake would look dated just yet
Bedbug Posted - 12/10/2021 : 16:03:49
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Dune

And? Don't keep us in suspense waiting for your review!

I didn't think much of it to be honest - looks really dated. Maybe the reboot will be better. I know that's not what you want to hear.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000