Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

IceManCometh
- FB Fan -

58 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  15:35:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, 1965. In fact, this one isn't hard for me to rank. It's definitely in the top five or six.
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  15:47:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I should go back to this one. It challenges Fastman Raiderman as the least played album in the catalogue for me.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  08:41:03  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Active Duck

Maybe I should go back to this one. It challenges Fastman Raiderman as the least played album in the catalogue for me.

Bummer. It's tied with Teenager and Dog for best ever in my book.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  09:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to Amsterdam last weekend (I'm a Canadian doing an exchange year in Scotland), and on one map it said something about Herman Brood which I thought might be the statue mentioned in Angels Come to Comfort You, so I went to the area but couldn't find anything. I went to an information booth and the women I asked was very impressed I knew who he was and asked me how I knew him - i told her about the album - it turns out her father worked for him which I thought was pretty cool.
I did see the Hilton Hotel in Amsterdam, which was good enough for John and Yoko, man.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5976 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  12:00:15  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The statue is located at the cemetry, on his grave actually. There's also a statue of Brood himself in Zwolle. Hope you enjoyed your stay in Amsterdam!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  14:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, she told me it was in Zwolle so I have up. I had a really great time in Amsterdam, it's such a beautiful and interesting city! I'm figuring out why Black Francis has been prefering Europe as of late.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1062 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  22:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bluefinger has firmly established itself as my now favourite solo album.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2014 :  16:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as Black Francis or FB/BF combined? if the latter, you high, bro?

<cough>TOTY<cough>

"There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception."
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1062 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  00:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha it often changes between TOTY, DITS, yellow, Pistolero (yes really!), BLD and Bluefinger and currently Bluefinger is getting the most listens.

Cap'n Pasty, Threshold, Lolita, Mouth, Rubber, Test Pilot, Heart, Money....those are like a Super Street Fighter 2 combo!

While TOTY is like a Mortal Combat 22 punch combo, Im liking the rawness of Bluefinger of late more than I originally did at its release
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1219 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  05:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10
Im liking the rawness of Bluefinger of late more than I originally did at its release

Do you listen to the official release or the early demos that leaked. I had the leaked album on my laptop and stupidly overwrote them with the official release which is much more polished and less exciting for me (especially Threshold).

Still for me one of his best solo albums though, but I do miss the crustier early versions of the songs.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  05:32:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Der Golem beats Bluefinger anyways.

as BF I rank them:

Der Golem
SVN FNGRS
Bluefinger
NonStopErotik
Abbabubba

I saved a few of the early demos i think Sprite, i'll check to see if i can share them...check that, doesnt look like i've got them on this computer; i have a hard drive in my drawer from my dead laptop. i think they might be in there....

"There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception."
Go to Top of Page

Bohemoth
- FB Fan -

USA
246 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  06:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Were the leaked ones different? I don't remember better go check.
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

294 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  06:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bohemoth

Were the leaked ones different? I don't remember better go check.

My favorite Black Fancis release is by far "Live at Nijmegen". All of Bluefinger is played together live--he refers to it as "the opera". Plus, a bunch of the best picks from other BF releases.

Fans of the leaked version (I assume it is before mastering) will likely enjoy "Nijmegen"...
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1219 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  11:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shineoftheever

I saved a few of the early demos i think Sprite, i'll check to see if i can share them...check that, doesnt look like i've got them on this computer; i have a hard drive in my drawer from my dead laptop. i think they might be in there....

Eternally grateful if you could find them. I can't remember too well but I think Frank might have even leaked them via this forum? He definitely was posting the lyrics and there was speculation it was new Pixies at one point. I've never been much of a music downloader, I think Bluefinger was one of the only ones I ever ripped.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1062 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  11:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats awesome, I wasnt aware the leaked version was different. I think I can see(hear) the polish as you say, I never noticed but it does seem different from 1st listens.

I really like Herman Brood now, he reminds me of a Dutch Iggy/Springsteen.

Nijmegen show is amazing, love Gwaneshwar, All Around The World (kicks ass) and I Sent Away.

Svn Fnrs and Bluefinger combined make a hell of a listen and give TOTY a run for its money.

The Golem has strangely made me go back to CoR and made me realise both albums are islands, as in they seem to exist without a visible evolutionary step - another reason to love fb/bf.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1062 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  11:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PS were there any B sides from this era that disappeared along with it?
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  14:06:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bluefinger is one of his very best (of any era, under any name), in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1219 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2014 :  03:04:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

PS were there any B sides from this era that disappeared along with it?

Don't think so beyond those bonus tracks Virgina Reel and Polly's into me. Never heard demo versions of those though.
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2014 :  04:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Discoteque 36 is a black spot on Bluefinger. Kind of loses all momentum, the album has got some good songs after it, but it's kind of a bummer, that song, being there, waiting for you, just so it can end that golden streak the album has going for it.

It's a short album, unlike TOTY or The Golem, so it doesn't have time/songs to recover from that hurdle. Still, one of his most impressive post-TOTY albums, for sure.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  20:14:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when was Blizzard 1989? pre-Bluefinger methinks???

Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  20:16:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the thing i love most about Bluefinger is that it introduced me to Herman Brood's work and i cant get enough of Go Nutz

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000