Page: of 17

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2019 :  05:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Oh btw, Dalgety presence confirmed. Missed the post on his instagram back in December.

Dreamland Studio console: http://www.dreamlandrecording.com/console
Dalgety hint on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BrhQSglApiR/

***sigh***

Fun fact: a Dangerous Compressor is available at Dreamland studios.

http://www.dreamlandrecording.com/dynamics

***sigh***

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2019 :  08:04:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Give Jerry a ring - (845) 679-5832
Get him to tell Dalgety the compressor is broken. And they are out of spares. Forever.

Edited by - stuczuba on 01/02/2019 08:06:00
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  23:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next tour in March.

Seems a bit short to have the new album by then.

I say june or end of summer (like the two previous records)

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2019 :  03:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if the person in the photo with his head down is a special guest and not Dalgety? Unless he's just goofing around I fail to see why he would have his identity hidden? Remember there was meant to be a special guest on Head Carrier it just didn't work out schedule wise.

Edited by - jake3 on 01/06/2019 03:57:52
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  00:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Dalgety to me. He was on location.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  04:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How old is Dalgety?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  04:42:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Old enough to grow a beard.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  05:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So at least twelve?
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  07:13:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't share the view expressed here, and in various 2.0. threads over the years, that blames Head Carrier's flat sound on the uncivilized ears of 21st Century philistines. To the contrary, kids these days are rather spoiled with lush production. Good production quality sells records. Artists like Kanye (listen: "Hold My Liquor," the last third of "Love Lockdown"), The Strokes, and Interpol paved the way in the early-mid 2000s for gorgeous production and lavish mixes. Look at the headliners at Coachella 2019, the most mainstream music festival on the planet: Childish Gambino, Janelle Monae, Tame Impala, Kid Cudi, and Ariana Grande. How many of them are releasing crunched up bullshit? None. Exactly zero. Mainstream music now includes albums like Tame Impala's Innerspeaker (2010), which has Surfer Rosa-tier production quality (fight me).

So let's be real about allocating blame. Take the band Interpol, whose first record is the raw-spacious-full bodied kind of earfeel that 1.0. Pixies fans savour (Turn On The Bright Lights, 2002; listen: "Hands Away"). Now, compare Hands Away to their 2018 release, which was "produced" by Dave Fridmann, a criminal if ever there was one (listen: "Number 10" -- WARNING: listening to this song may fill you with an involuntarily urge to commit suicide, DO NOT listen while near a falling off place, driving a motor vehicle (including diesel powered lawn mowers), or visiting your in-laws.) Now that you have witnessed this criminal act, you have observed how Interpol has followed the same trajectory as the Pixies. But why? Because these are old bands hiring old producers who are using old tricks. Smash it, flatten it, crunch it up and pump it out on the radios. That's how the criminals assaulted Californication. And these criminals are still among us, peddling their nonsense solutions to nonexistent problems. But here's the rub: bands like Interpol and the Pixies sell out tours based solely on their back catalog. Those tours pull in big money. The bands are in control. They can say no. They can deny the criminals. And for whatever reason, they don't. An accessory is a person who does not commit the crime, but who assists the criminal in his nefarious deed. We punish accessories. These crimes do not need to happen; but they do, because the band lets them.

Edited by - tamefan on 01/07/2019 07:17:51
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  08:18:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

I wonder if the person in the photo with his head down is a special guest and not Dalgety? Unless he's just goofing around I fail to see why he would have his identity hidden? Remember there was meant to be a special guest on Head Carrier it just didn't work out schedule wise.

Do you know who the special guest was meant to be?
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  10:53:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

quote:
Originally posted by jake3

Do you know who the special guest was meant to be?

Unfortunately not.

@tamefan Yeah, I agree. Ultimately it's up to the band.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  11:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the Sherlocks out there trying to identify the mystery man on the instagram pic, you can compare with this group pic from 2016 pixies+dalgety
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21619&whichpage=4
Is he wearing the same shoes ?
That will keep us busy until the new album

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  12:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixies instagram suggests recording is in full swing:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsnZvXpHRek/

-oddball
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  04:45:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Church
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  21:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
December pics ? Or are they really spending a month in the studio ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  09:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Double album alert

Edited by - Sprite on 01/16/2019 13:06:43
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  09:45:31  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Funny I was thinking the same thing just today: double album
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  12:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me too. Double album.
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  13:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So here's something I am just pulling out of thin air, but I'll put it out there anyway. Every 7-8 years, The Pixies/FB/FB and the Cs have/has put out something "double-album" in length:

1987/1988 - Come On Pilgrim/ Surfer Rosa
1994 - Teenager of the Year
2002 - Devil's Workshop/ Black Letter Days
2010 - Golem
2018/2019 - ?

I'm probably on to nothing, but truly wish I was on to something.

-oddball
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  13:09:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can go with that feeling. Every 4 or 5 years I go on absolute bender of a night out. A kind of bloodletting.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  13:35:01  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

I can go with that feeling. Every 4 or 5 years I go on absolute bender of a night out. A kind of bloodletting.

We do that every Saturday night in this town.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  13:35:57  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oddball

So here's something I am just pulling out of thin air, but I'll put it out there anyway. Every 7-8 years, The Pixies/FB/FB and the Cs have/has put out something "double-album" in length:

1987/1988 - Come On Pilgrim/ Surfer Rosa
1994 - Teenager of the Year
2002 - Devil's Workshop/ Black Letter Days
2010 - Golem
2018/2019 - ?

I'm probably on to nothing, but truly wish I was on to something.

-oddball

You forgot Fast Man Raider Man (2006)

Also, I'm not sure just ading two separate albums together constitutes a double album. You could also do that with Bluefinger and SVN FNGRS.

Edited by - pot on 01/16/2019 13:49:28
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  14:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure 2018 marks the first time in his career that FB (solo or as part of Pixies/Catholics/Grand Duchy) has gone two full years without releasing an album or EP. Just an observation.

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  14:56:53  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know right. First thing I did in my new house in 2016 when HC got internet stream released was listen to it while having a bath. The new album release will mark the time I've lived in this place, and I truly hope I don't have to experience any more FB or Pixies albums releases here, ie. it's been a bad experience overall. But I took some nice pictures of a river!
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  22:10:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster

I'm pretty sure 2018 marks the first time in his career that FB (solo or as part of Pixies/Catholics/Grand Duchy) has gone two full years without releasing an album or EP. Just an observation.

I think that's a good thing, I'll take quality over quantity any day - it's difficult to get into the Survivor poll because there's just so much back catalogue that's just feels like inessential autopilot.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  09:15:21  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

quote:

I think that's a good thing, I'll take quality over quantity any day - it's difficult to get into the Survivor poll because there's just so much back catalogue that's just feels like inessential autopilot.

I wish I hadn't read this. I can't even believe that someone would think this.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  10:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:

quote:

Denis

Sorry..
The peaks are amazing, timeless and I never bore of them but they are peaks and in between the lulls just dont always do it for me. There's just so much stuff in the world and so little time..
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  17:03:03  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:

quote:

Denis

Sorry..
The peaks are amazing, timeless and I never bore of them but they are peaks and in between the lulls just dont always do it for me. There's just so much stuff in the world and so little time..

Hmm... yeah I’ll take prolific FBF over the more measured pace of late. A lot of his work has left me with mixed feelings on first release, but after a appropriate amount of time it settles in for me and is part of the whole, and indispensable. As a fan, I wouldn’t want it any other way.

He strikes me as a compulsive songwriter, and I assume he is constantly coming up with stuff, just not recording it now beyond demoing it so he doesn’t forget and putting it on the shelf. Or Maybe not. Who knows. Who knows what he has up his sleeves. I do know that I’m a big fan of artists just throwing it all out there to see what sticks. But it’s reasonable that in a band situation like the Pixies, and with the weight of that legendary name, it makes less sense to do that. They aren’t going to go record 30 randomly styled songs in Nashville out of the blue. But then, if Charles squeezes the solo career back in on the side to fill the gaps, it detracts from where the main focus is - pixies - and probably dilutes the impact of pixies releases.

From the outside, it does seem like the Pixies becoming a going concern again beyond a nostalgia act has put up some creative guardrails and set some kind of speed limit on the release schedule. To me anyway. It’s harder to expect the unexpected. But maybe that’s just where fbf and the pixies want us.

Of course, he’s been doing this shit a long time, and he has a family and other interests in life. There aren’t many artists or bands that have been as prolific and consistently high quality for this long, it’s hard to ask for much else.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2019 :  08:48:26  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Double album: studio/acoustic versions
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2019 :  09:51:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Give us the double album we want but don't deserve:

Indie Cindy compressed / Indie Cindy not compressed
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2019 :  18:28:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was listening to Zen Arcade on the bus earlier and it got me thinking that a Pixies concept album would be really cool. Maybe a sci-fi epic.

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  03:02:33  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was listening to Zen Arcade on the bus earlier and it got me thinking that a Pixies concept album would be really cool. Maybe a sci-fi epic.

Bluefinger might be about as close as we'll ever get. I'm under the assumption, right or wrong, that intentions, at least at first, were for those songs to make up a Pixies album.

I can't recall now if it was Charles or Kim but either one or both of them said the new stuff he was trying to write for the band was sounding 'fakey' so they didn't do a Pixies album, and we got this instead. Which, imo, is right up there with the very best of anything FBF has ever put out. In my personal top 5.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  03:12:19  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was listening to Zen Arcade on the bus earlier and it got me thinking that a Pixies concept album would be really cool.

Fucked Up' last album Dose Your Dreams is the closest thing to what you're thinking of. Fantastic record.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  06:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

-----------------------

A sci-fi epic Pixies concept album?

You mean like Trompe Le Monde?
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  07:16:36  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:

-----------------------

A sci-fi epic Pixies concept album?

You mean like Trompe Le Monde?

I thought of calling that one out but I'm not sure it's totally a concept album. Sort of. Mostly I guess. More of a concept album than Sgt. Peppers.

Ya know it's probably for another thread, but it would be interesting to make a list of all the Sci-Fi tracks through the years. I bet it's a long list.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000