Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2019 :  19:39:19  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Barry season 1 was ok, and kind of disappointing. Barry season 2 blew me away. Though I'd describe it as anything but light.

HELL YEAH LARRY SANDERS SHOW.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2019 :  08:36:12  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I started Rake but couldn't get into it. I really wanted to! How long should I give it?

How long did you give it?

It hooked me from the start. You sure you were watching the Oz version?

It gets more into running plot as the series progresses, as opposed to stand alone jury trial episodes. It has some great characters in it, and the writing and the comedy acting is high calibre I'd say.

My money's on the guy who played Cal McGregor getting the rold of Ozzie David Brent. Cheesy as fuck
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2019 :  09:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

I started Rake but couldn't get into it. I really wanted to! How long should I give it?

How long did you give it?

It hooked me from the start. You sure you were watching the Oz version?

It gets more into running plot as the series progresses, as opposed to stand alone jury trial episodes. It has some great characters in it, and the writing and the comedy acting is high calibre I'd say.

My money's on the guy who played Cal McGregor getting the rold of Ozzie David Brent. Cheesy as fuck

I watched most of the first ep. It certainly was Oz version. I'll get back to it soon.

I'll be watching the Dark Crystal TV show tonight. The movie is about the most brilliant thing ever done. Hearing good things about the show.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2019 :  10:11:33  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I watched most of the first ep. It certainly was Oz version. I'll get back to it soon.

I'll be watching the Dark Crystal TV show tonight. The movie is about the most brilliant thing ever done. Hearing good things about the show.

Give it a chance. It surprised me how good it was. It's a bit off kilter, and occasionally bizarre and unexplained.

Looking forward to the new season of Better Call Saul as well like, but in all honestly Rake owns it. I think the creators of Breaking Bad, as they were coming to the end of BB saw it and though, hmmm...

But, now that we know it's wrapping up after season 6 the question in my mind is what was it building up to, and why? And is it going to tie in with the recently announced Breaking Bad sequel Netflix film featuring what Jesse Pinkman did after...

I don't understand why it is taking them so long to film the new season(s) of BCS these days? Maybe they need to wait for certain actors to free up their time to be in it?

Edited by - pot on 08/30/2019 10:20:40
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  07:00:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just finished Caddyshack 2, which truly is so bad it's amazing. I had heard it was considered the worst sequel of all time, but it's so bad I want to buy the dvd.

What prompted me to post about it here though was the use of the term "bag boy" in the film. It makes sense that that would refer to caddies. Not sure I ever thought of any golf reference with the 2.0 song.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  20:24:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBWGV7c8aZw

Paul
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2019 :  05:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just about done season 5 of breaking bad!
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1992 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2019 :  23:03:30  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A bit late but Ozark (Season 1) was pretty good.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  00:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody else looking forward to Joker?
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  16:14:04  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am! I was an extra in it. Look for me as the only one (maybe there was one other guy) wearing a white gas mask in the scene with the rioting in the streets and the ambulance hitting the police car (it's in the trailer.) Also I was in the scene outside the movie theater wearing a clown mask like everyone else (this scene is also visible in the trailer.)
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  05:41:18  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wah Gwaan. Netflix just brought back Top Boy for a new series, and it's very good. Ran a couple of series on BBC1 a few years back; about black youts in London selling drugs and dat innit. Netflix have done a great job of bringing the story back for another series, a few years on. Some of it's even based in Jamaica. Lot's of new characters, good character and plenty of topical current issues stuff about Brexit and immigration and how society steers these youngers onto destructive paths.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  17:15:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The final season of The Good Place started last week. Great show. Don't know why I only just discovered it a few months ago.

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2019 :  02:38:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mindhunter is very good
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2019 :  06:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Schitt's Creek, The Good Place, Always Sunny, and Mr. Robot (plus baseball)
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2019 :  08:13:36  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mindhunter is very good

It is. And the actors playing the characters of the serial killers are very accurate. They've really done their research on this. Looking forward to the next three seasons.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2019 :  04:52:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed the Breaking Bad movie. Well done. Maybe not necessary, but fun, and did no damage to the original.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2019 :  08:21:22  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My mum lives across the road from my old chemistry teacher (his garage is always closed and he never parks his car in it... just saying) Anyway, not actually spoken to him since 1991, yet on the day El Camino is released he turns up at the door and gives me a bag of rhubarb (from his garden). I was the top pupil in that year as well. I always thought if I ever get into a conversation with him that I'd throw in a Breaking Bad joke somewhere but I never got the chance yesterday.

Anyway, why is it taking so bloody long for season 5 of Better Call Saul? Only two more seasons to go. Is there going to be any kind of major plot development that in some way justifies the existence of this show? I mean, I like it but it just feels a bit like what's the point? I think they were trying to do their own version of Rake...
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2019 :  23:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
20 years later I am finally watching the Sopranos.

2 episodes in and i am quite enjoying it.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2019 :  23:32:15  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Totally skipped the Sopranos. I did watch one episode once though, and it seemed quite good. If only I could find the time in between all the great box sets coming these days..
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2019 :  05:34:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watching Fleabag on Amazon Prime. I’m a couple episodes in and I *think* I like it. The lead character is deplorable.

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2019 :  09:00:32  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Everyone's going on about Fleabag. I watched the first episode and couldn't really get into it. Found it a bit annoying, but maybe that was the point. Maybe it gets better.

Motherland is a a good new UK comedy, just dropped series 2. Not as good as series 1 I though, but still good. Diane Morgen and Anna Maxwell Martin are both faves of mine, and they co write it with Graham Linehan of Father Ted writing fame.

Edited by - pot on 10/20/2019 09:02:55
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2019 :  18:17:14  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hated Fleabag and stopped after two episodes. Main characters not being likable is not an issue for me. Them not being funny, however, is.

It absolutely blows my mind when someone hasn't seen Sopranos. I'm also very very happy for anyone starting it. Please enjoy the ride. I've watched the whole thing two full times, many episodes three or more times. There is nothing like it and few things measure up to it, if they do at all.

And Sopranos is extremely worth anybody's time, I'm struggling to think of more than one or two shows that should take precedence...

I was disappointed in El Camino. I went to a theater screening of it. The underwhelming feel really came through in the audience too. Kind of a dead, bored crowd. Oh well.

Watching horror movies for October. This week I watched Halloween 2 through 6. I enjoyed all of them!

We also watched a great film called The Innocents, one of the best and most complex and layered and spooky older horror movies I've ever seen. Written by friggin Truman Capote, which was quite a shock when that credit came up (no idea when picking it.)

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 10/21/2019 18:22:03
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2019 :  03:23:47  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
*Spoiler Alert* This post (paragraph 2) contains a minor spoiler for El Camino.

That's the issue I had with the first episode of Fleabag, I just didn't find it funny. I didn't like the format of the main character being in a constant separate dialogue with the audience.

El Camino was a bit pointless yeah, but it was worth seeing the story of what happened to Jesse (even if the plot was a bit stupid, ie. the guy in the hoover shop not giving him a break over a couple of grand). It was all flashbacks as well, which was I guess the only way to write Walter White into it. Everyone wants more Walter White. I suppose there could be another spin-off series of what happens to Jesse after this..

I will have to get the Sopranos did sometime. It seems to be highly praised by everyone who's seen it. It will remain on my bucket list until I've seen it.

Edited by - pot on 10/22/2019 03:25:57
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2019 :  07:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
El Camino just tried to make a plausible argument for Jesse not ending up right back in prison after the BB finale.

I agree with your point pot about the few extra bucks for the vac guy.

My advice is to listen to El Camino by Ween today.

Edited by - Bedbug on 10/22/2019 07:09:02
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2019 :  07:51:12  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm going to try and cram in Sopranos when I trial Amazon Prime again for a month when (big excitementings) Season 4 of The Expanse drops.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2019 :  08:40:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was sad that the vacuum guy passed away on the release date of El Camino. He was also excellent as a Sheriff Truman in Twin Peaks. Will have to re-watch Jackie Brown and check out some of his earlier films which I haven't seen.

I was caught between enjoying El Camino and finding it a bit underwhelming.

The Sopranos was excellent - a perfect blend of dark comedy and drama. It's probably my second favourite show after The Wire. The likes of Deadwood, Breaking Bad, Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire not too far behind.

At the minute I'm watching more Larry Sanders Show which not too many here in Ireland seem to have watched but it's fantastic. Also re-watching Rick and Morty which is also brilliant.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2019 :  21:22:24  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm in order of my favorite

Sopranos
Mad Men (almost neck and neck with Sopranos as it's such a similar show and shares writers and tone and structure and etc)
The Wire (currently rewatching and it's finally hitting me how incredible it is. My first watch I wasn't that into it. No idea what I was missing.)
Breaking Bad (loved so much of it, wasn't crazy about the finale though, and El Camino bothered me. I love Better Call Saul a ton though, in fact I'd maybe put it right here in my list.)
Deadwood (I never quite got into this...Still need to see the movie)

and only watched season 1 of Boardwalk.

But ahead of Sopranos is Twin Peaks, of course, and possibly Buffy...possibly...
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2019 :  04:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BBC love mentioning Fleabag at any opportunity they get. Same with Killing Eve. Haven't watched Fleabag and have no great desire to though didn't mind Killing Eve.

I watched a couple of episodes of Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia and found the characters amusing but very unlikable. I'll maybe go back to it just for Danny De Vito but it didn't do a lot for me. Maybe if I was in my 20's I'd appreciate it more.

Gomorrah the series is a great show, Italian crime drama set mostly in Naples, think there's 4 seasons - thoroughly recommended on par with Sopranos for me.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2019 :  06:58:18  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Missed Killing Eve altogether as well, every one seems to be raving about it as well. I really liked Sandra Oh in Catfight, she's a good comedy actress.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2019 :  09:05:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to get onto the second season of Gomorroah, the first was amazing. Nice and gritty.

Not sure how I forgot about Twin Peaks in my list - though I suppose it's in a category of its own.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2019 :  14:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Soprano family Housekeeper’s name is “Oona”
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2019 :  15:47:34  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Always Sunny is great, and I wouldn't even call the characters unlikable. Because...I like them a lot. They are dumb and rude but they are also pitiful and pathetic and funny. I think people have different definitions of "unlikable" though. Like Tony's sister in Sopranos is unlikable in that she has almost no redeeming qualities and is obnoxious and insanely narcissistic but she's hilarious and entertaining in how horrible she is. The Fleabag girl to me is unlikable in the sense that I find her not funny and not entertaining and I discontinued watching the show. These things vary for everyone though.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2019 :  11:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joker was excellent
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2019 :  12:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always Sunny is rarely funny
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2019 :  10:15:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm enjoying Living With Yourself so far. Only 1 episode in but Paul Rudd doing a low key Bruce Campbell Evil Dead 2 style role in a comedy drama scenario is worth a watch!

Edited by - Stevio10 on 10/25/2019 10:28:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000