Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  04:28:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

I wonder if all the love for this Breeders record is related in any way to all the indifference/disapproval the last 2 Pixies albums got. Like all the frustration over BF's evolution has transformed into some Big Big Love for the new Breeders material.

___
"Service Unavailable"

I think the Breeders’ album is good on its own merits, but I don’t disagree with your point.

In fact, if I’m right (the earth in flight is not the problem), part of the negativity toward everything from Bossanova & Trompe was not enough Kim. You add that to a quirky FB debut solo album that sounded different.... how could Last Splash not become the critics darling as well as Kim’s Breeders themselves
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  05:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People just like and root for Kim. Many people who bought Last splash and made it hugely popular don't even know or care about Pixies or BF. Middle-aged folks like myself and probably many here love their nostalgia and the fact this Breeders album has really been built up for a few years now helps. Plus, the single was well chosen and catchy. The album is good. The Last Splash lineup. The metoo movement. Women standing up for themselves and the world taking notice. I think it all adds to this great moment for them. I honestly don't feel any backlash to Pixies 2.0 albums play that much into it, though that is there in some regards.
Go to Top of Page

QuaBear
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  07:07:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good words natenate...I agree with a lot of your sentiment....
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  07:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

People just like and root for Kim. Many people who bought Last splash and made it hugely popular don't even know or care about Pixies or BF. Middle-aged folks like myself and probably many here love their nostalgia and the fact this Breeders album has really been built up for a few years now helps. Plus, the single was well chosen and catchy. The album is good. The Last Splash lineup. The metoo movement. Women standing up for themselves and the world taking notice. I think it all adds to this great moment for them. I honestly don't feel any backlash to Pixies 2.0 albums play that much into it, though that is there in some regards.

I agree with a lot of this.

And, unfortunately, neither anti-Pixies backlash nor pro-Breeders bias is going to make IC sound less garbled.

I will say that I think it would have been cool if Kelley said to Kim we need to do a song about Frank on All Nerve, and Kim would say Ok but only if you write it and then Kelley could say Ok but only if you sing it, and they could call it Blackgantic.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  08:15:26  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd go for something like Charlie's theme
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  22:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kim also gives great interview, they're very visible and very affable people.

The new Belly stuff is starting to appear for RSD
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  08:08:29  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://i-d.vice.com/en_uk/article/neqgkq/the-breeders-are-back-and-making-all-your-alt-rock-dreams-come-true Another interview from UK.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  08:36:06  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.itsnicethat.com/articles/chris-bigg-the-breeders-all-nerve-graphic-design-050318 Nice piece about the 'All Nerve'art design.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  08:57:21  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wait in The car is probably my least favorite song on All Nerve
So “Breeders by Numbers”, it’s almost funny
They have been playing descending riffs for ages (Flipside, Son of Three, SOS)
Start-stop rhyhtmpattern too. Not much of a melody. Nervous Mary would have been my choice

I do like most of the other songs. Not a very risky or progressive record, but a good one. Same old, same old.
Pixies have never done that. I think people in 2018 just want Doolitle 2.0. Frank isn’t capable of doing so.
Meanwhile Kim just makes Pod 4.0

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  09:09:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tend to agree, Bill Goodman, although I do like "Wait in the Car," as it sounds like it would be very fun to play on the drums, and stuff like that just clicks with me.

ALL NERVE is basically alt.rock comfort food, in that it is, in many respects, sonically and compositionally, it almost sounds like a Breeders tribute band, just one that features its own members.

It ticks all the boxes.

That said, a record of that sort is hard to make, even with a similar cast and crew on board. Plus, when the Breeders are good, they're very good.

I actually enjoy mashed potatoes, pot roast and apple pie, when they are done right!

I like the record, and am glad its around and that they are back on the road. I will enjoy listening to it, but the simple truth is that their stuff never kicked me in the taco like Kim's work with FBF, or his own subsequent adventures in music making.

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  09:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman
Pixies have never done that. I think people in 2018 just want Doolitle 2.0. Frank isn’t capable of doing so

Did he ever tried ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  09:37:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman
Pixies have never done that. I think people in 2018 just want Doolitle 2.0. Frank isn’t capable of doing so

Did he ever tried ?

___
"Service Unavailable"

I think people in 1990 wanted Doolittle 2.0. I know I did.

I was wrong and I’m glad I was.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  09:43:09  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wanted Doolittle 1.0 in 1990, after I'd heard Bossanova 1.0

Edited by - pot on 03/07/2018 09:44:42
Go to Top of Page

Mad Lucas
- FB Fan -

Australia
142 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  18:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All Nerve is great. Heaps and heaps of interesting tunes that only Kim could write. Love it
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2018 :  02:50:41  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://xpressmag.com.au/the-breeders-all-nerve-gets-7-5-10/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2018 :  02:52:02  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/entertainment/4413876-album-review-new-breeders-lp-features-classic-lineup-first-time-25-years

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2018 :  03:18:39  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.reddit.com/r/indieheads/comments/82gn6o/ama_announcement_the_breeders_on_march_8th_430_pm/ The gang will be live today on Reddit indieheads.You can send your questions to the band.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2018 :  08:54:50  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvas5q0R000 'Nervous Mary' & 'Wait in The Car' Live from France.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

QuaBear
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2018 :  12:32:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks pixiepunk...

great performances on Canal...great to see the Breeders back at it, and still making good music...
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  03:37:27  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/kim-deal-the-very-cool-star-of-the-pixies-and-the-breeders-is-mending-bridges-20180306-h0x39c.html Kim interview.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  07:44:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's unfortunate that this run of new interviews for the Breeders and Kim especially prominently included shots fired and digs at Pixies. I'm waiting for it with each interview I read, and they all come from the interviewer and not Kim.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  09:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's unfortunate that this run of new interviews for the Breeders and Kim especially prominently included shots fired and digs at Pixies. I'm waiting for it with each interview I read, and they all come from the interviewer and not Kim.

This
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  09:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That SMH interview was a tough read. Especially this:

The Pixies have gone on to make two albums without Deal, but the reviews have not been kind, with many critics pointing out Deal's absence as one of the main problems. In interviews for the last record, Thompson claimed the song All I Think About Is Now was a thank you to Deal. The fact that it was sung by her replacement Paz Lenchantin and shamelessly ripped off the classic Pixies' song Where Is My Mind right down to Deal's trademark high-pitched "oo-oo" refrain, made it sound more like a rip-off than a tribute. Not that you'll hear a bad word from Deal on the matter, who instead chooses to make a joke of it.
"I don't know the song, although I do know there's a story that they wrote a song about me. The Dandy Warhols wrote a song about me and I heard a Japanese band wrote a song about me too. I think that every band should write a song about me. I love it. It doesn't have to be nice. It can be a mean song. It can be a bad song. I don't even care."
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  11:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the chronology as follows:

1) the four of them were working on IC together when Kim took everyone out to dinner and quit the band
2) they never spoke since then, but Pixies recorded a song about Kim
3) Kim knows about the song but hasn’t heard it

Am I missing anything?

She just disappeared like a ghost?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  11:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BF often claimed (when asked about it). that he didn’t know Breeders music as well. My ass. They just don’t want to talk about this, that’s all.

They don’t get along. Big Woop-Dee-Doo.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 03/09/2018 11:34:05
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  14:13:20  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/ 'All Nerve' #9 in UK Charts.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  21:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The whole thing makes me think of :

Return to sender, return to sender
I gave a letter to the postman, he put it his sack
Bright in early next morning, he brought my letter back
She wrote upon it
Return to sender, address unknown
No such number, no such zone
We had a quarrel, a lover's spat
I write I'm sorry but my letter keeps coming back
So then I dropped it in the mailbox and sent it special D
Bright in early next morning it came right back to me
She wrote upon it
No such person, no such zone
This time I'm gonna take it myself and put it right in her hand
And if it comes back the very next day then I'll understand
The writing on it
No such number, no such zone
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  02:34:32  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.npr.org/2018/03/11/592290511/the-breeders-are-all-nerve-after-a-long-hiatus Includes audio.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  10:36:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is both slightly wild and more than a bit charming that in that French TV clip, both of the Deal sisters seem to have several large cheat sheets for each of the songs written on paper and scattered at their feet for them to refer to while they perform.

Kelley in particular seems completely focused on hers, and immediately rearranges them for the next song at the very end of the clip.

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  01:39:35  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2018/03/bon-jovi-breaks-chart-drop-record-for.html?m=1 More chart news after debuting at #9 in the UK.You hace to scroll down a bit for The Breeders mention.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  01:49:01  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.billboard.com/charts/independent-albums #2

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  08:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
preorder finally arrived.

i've also got the cd from japan.
it comes with the other two b-sides (joanne and gates of steel) as bonus tracks.
whoo!

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  09:08:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

it comes with the other two b-sides (joanne and gates of steel) as bonus tracks.
whoo!

it's educational

See, again, this shows how important B-sides are, at least to us Charles / Kim nerds.

How 2.0 still hasn't given us much in the B-side department is mildly disappointing.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  10:52:45  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

whoo!

it's educational

Cool.

Maybe someone will finally put their version of Gates Of Steel up on YouTube so I can hear it.

It's been nice feeling like it's still the 90's again though, even if it's in a small way.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  02:08:11  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-west-australian/20180315/282170766672551 More presa from Australia.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000