Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  10:15:17  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I need some recommendations for viewing in 2019. Kind of bored right now.

I just finished the season 3 boxset of Travelers. Last few episodes were some of the most intense, nail biting sci-fi drama I've seen in a long time. Great character development and clever story writing. I've recommended it before.

I'm currently working my way back through the first 3 seasons of The Expanse in anticipation of season 4 coming out soon. It's a bit harder to get into, more complex and less fun to watch than Travelers. Both have great characters that will grow on you though.
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  17:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Almost every Star Trek TV show is on Netflix, what more could you need?

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  20:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster

quote:

Almost every Star Trek TV show is on Netflix, what more could you need?

-----------------------

I actually watched a Voyager episode this week! Very good, lots of fun.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  03:42:16  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd say Bride of Chaotica is my favourite Voyager episode. s05e12

Enterprise was the last good bit of Star Trek IMO, well worth checking out. Forget about Discovery, what an embarassment that is!
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  03:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Voyager is great! The Next Generation is my personal favorite, I love that one episode where Data is on trial, Measure of a Man or something like that? And I've been wanting to watch all of Deep Space 9, I keep putting that off.

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  04:16:58  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't like DS9.

Voyager though really picked up in season 3 when Jeri Ryan joined the crew as borg woman, pissed off Kate Mulgrew a bit who couldn't handle the fact she was a far better actor and easier on the eye. She really shines through on the episode Infinite Regress (s5e7) where all the other people/species who were part of her collective start surfacing. I loved the relationship she had with the little girl, Naomi Wildman, because in a way she was still a little girl herself; having been assimilated by the borg when she was young.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  10:34:34  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any you merkin's ever watch Hee Haw?

I'm just watching some old bluegrass music clips on youTube, some new ones come up recently. The Stoneman family, Grandpa Jones, Stringbean... Some great stuff and here's this TV show I've never heard of called Hee Haw. It's hilarious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcMKdbRAtKA

What does "hee haw" mean to you? In Scotland it means "nothing". If you've got hee haw you've got nothing. where does that term come from and what is it's etymological history?

Must be something in my blood, but I do love the old bluegrass music. You know the term hillbilly was originally coined to describe the Euro-protestant settlers who lived in the hills of the new American frontier. And back in my home town of Sanquhar there's a lot of history about the protestants, in an age when they were persecuted by the catholics. They used to congregate in the hills to worship, right here in this picture(https://twitter.com/scotbeasts/status/1022571679548092416) They were called the Sanquhar Covenanters and you can find articles about it online if you're interested. The original hillbillies of American were named after William of Orange. So many of the ancestors of the original hillbillies came from where I grew up. Whether or not any of them travelled across the sea I don't know.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  02:40:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maps to the Stars is Cronenberg at his finest.

What a weird ride, have fun if you try it.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2019 :  09:29:39  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just watched Border, Swedish film that was nominated for an Oscar. Weird as fuck, so if like me you like weird as fuck you'll probably like this. Quite disturbing as well, and all the characters are grotesquely ugly. I watched it with a fresh head, no idea what it was about and still not really sure after having watched it. Dark humour and some nudity.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  15:40:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danjersey

Lifetime channel

You can never leave?

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  01:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Just watched Border, Swedish film that was nominated for an Oscar. Weird as fuck, so if like me you like weird as fuck you'll probably like this. Quite disturbing as well, and all the characters are grotesquely ugly. I watched it with a fresh head, no idea what it was about and still not really sure after having watched it. Dark humour and some nudity.

Thanks for the recommendation, loved it!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2019 :  14:15:37  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aye! Weird film club bros.

So The Favourite is pretty good?

Here is a clip of Olivia Coleman in her early days of TV, around the start of Peep Show. A TV advert that was on a lot back in the the day (and you'll know if you lived in the UK then)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsd2oOoXM9Q

I basically watched both The Favourite and Blackkklansman in consecutive segments. When I got bored of one I looked to the other, and vice versa. Over a period of several days.

At the end I thought Blackkklansman was a piece of overrated crap, but I liked The Favourite. It wasn't what I was expecting but I watched it because Olivia Coleman was in it. I'm going to watch it again.

Other good things she's been in:

Flowers
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/flowers/episode-guide/
Peep Show
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/peep-show/on-demand/33196-004

Funny how both the main two characters from Peep Show (David Mitchell and Robert Webb) went on to stardom (within the UK comedy sphere) and Olivia Coleman was always the support actress and now's she won a bloody oscar!

Other Oscar winner I thought was good: Green Book. It's a decent enough family film for Xmas.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2019 :  18:40:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After Life
fucking brilliant
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2019 :  23:54:37  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

After Life
fucking brilliant

I binge watched that last week. It is very good. Gervais knows his shit. One of the most talented comedy writers and actors of this time.

Another tip for the Diane Morgan (Philomena Cunk) fans; another great British comedy that ran recently and is due for a second series. Motherland is really good. Co-created/written by Graham Linehan (Father Ted, The IT Crowd). It's very funny.

Edited by - pot on 05/03/2019 00:00:41
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2019 :  23:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

After Life
fucking brilliant

I binge watched that last week. It is very good. Gervais knows his shit. One of the most talented comedy writers and actors of this time.

Another tip for the Diane Morgan (Philomena Cunk) fans; another great British comedy that ran recently and is due for a second series. Motherland is really good. Co-created/written by Graham Linehan (Father Ted, The IT Crowd). It's very funny.

Agree with both of you, loved it.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2019 :  06:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never seen a single second of GOT, should I?

Watching Imposters, not bad.

Watched The Pianist yesterday. Was in that sort of mood.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2019 :  06:42:04  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
GoT is fucking awesome. Some are expressing disappointment with the final season, but personally by the time it finally came along my interest had been usurped by Travelers and The Expanse. I wouldn't say the final season (so far) has been disappointing (who knows what might happen in the last episode, anything could happen as they have kept everything strictly under wraps) it's just playing out more or less as you might expect at this point (with some comedy from Tormund and The Hound to make it more entertaining). It's a classic series, I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2019 :  21:41:20  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Game of Thrones isn't a favorite show, but man...it's pretty well worth watching. It's just there's nothing like it. It's full of iconic awesome stuff, great character arcs, etc. The past few seasons have been...a bit disappointing...but I'm not sure to the point that I'd tell someone not to bother watching it. At this point it's like a cultural institution and I'm always interested in that kind of thing.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2019 :  23:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple posts earlier I mentioned that I'm watching this show called Imposters, and then on tonight's episode (1.9 I believe) they've got that piano version of WIMM playing throughout.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2019 :  00:16:35  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm currently working my way through Orange is the new Black. Spotted a pixies poster on a wall in one episode.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2019 :  12:30:01  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

I'm currently working my way through Orange is the new Black. Spotted a pixies poster on a wall in one episode.

Oooh, look for me as an extra in the final season...! I'm a receptionist guy at a desk at an adoption agency.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2019 :  19:16:32  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Oooh, look for me as an extra in the final season...! I'm a receptionist guy at a desk at an adoption agency.

No fucking way?!

I just started season 4, starting to suffer a bit from female prison drama fatigue (Tenko was never this much hard work) I used to really like vaginas before I watched this series..
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2019 :  20:06:29  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was down to watch the whole series, but after 3 seasons my girlfriend called it quits and I haven't been able to check more of it out. I will some day...

I was in a season 4 episode too but they cut out all the shots of me :( It was my very first extra job, actually. It was surreal to go from watching tv shows to then all of a sudden be inside of a tv show I watch.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2019 :  23:37:01  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They have some good writers for this show. Normally continual flashbacks are boring but it seems to work here. They have a way of making the characters really likeable, and even some of the more skanky girls are quite cute in a way.

That's a cool job to have. You wont have to remember many lines and it'll just be hanging about most of the day waiting and getting free food I imagine. Do you get a speaking part in s07?

I knew a guy in Glasgow in the early 90's who got a part in a TV series they were making at the time. It was a sex scene and all you saw was his butt going up and down.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2019 :  11:51:20  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nah, extras don't get lines, except there are sometimes when you are a crowd of people and you all get to yell and improvise. That happened on Gotham which was kind of fun but kind of nervewracking for me as I am NOT an actor and don't want to BE an actor. It's just a fun way to make some extra money every week and get me out of the apartment, and even network a little.

There's a lot of free food, in fact lately it's been so much that it's becoming a problem: you overeat because 1) it's free 2) you go "what if I don't get to eat for many hours?", and I think I need to control how much I eat on these things. This is a really common topic among extras, because everyone overeats. They give you pasta and bread and cake and cookies and pie, etc. It's insane.

As for shows I'm watching: I delayed on Daredevil season 3 due to the poor quality of other Marvel Netflix shows in the past year or two (Luke Cage, Iron Fist, etc, etc), but damn, it's great. Me and my girlfriend are just loving it.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2019 :  01:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been doing some Rick and Morty again. Really great stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2019 :  20:59:18  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's one I bet many haven't seen. Me and my girlfriend have been watching a ton of NTSF:SD:SUV:: on Adult Swim/Hulu.

Hilarious Law & Order/general procedural tv show parody, insane humor, tons of great comedians on it. Episodes are only 10 minutes long so perfect for when you don't wanna kill a bunch of time but want to watch something while having a quick snack or whatever.

Angie Tribeca basically took everything from this show but didn't do it quite as well (though I mostly like Angie Tribeca too). This one is more unrestrained and nuts.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2019 :  06:08:07  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Me and my girlfriend started American Vandal on Netflix. 3 episodes in and we really like it!!

For those who don't know: it's a parody of true crime documentaries (very similar to Making A Murderer, etc) but it's about a high school where someone drew 27 dicks on 27 of the teachers' cars and trying to exonerate the kid being blamed and expelled for it.

It's not just funny but the characters are really good and it really feels like the way a high school is. The kids are written as kids, no "too clever" jokes where the writers want to show how funny they are. It's all very natural and even kind of adorable in a way.
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2019 :  14:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’ve been watching BattleBots on Tv because there’s no joy as pure as watching robots murder each other.

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2019 :  11:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just watched all three seasons of "The Good Place" over the last couple weeks. Now I have to wait for the fourth season, which I'm guessing begins this fall. Lovely show -- good concept, good writing, good characters, good acting, etc.

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2019 :  00:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Box is the worst movie I’ve seen in a while. Based on a Twilight Zone episode
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2019 :  08:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Juliet Naked is worth a watch. About a guy who is writes on a forum obsessing over an obscure musician from 25 years ago.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  13:26:23  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you ever wondered why they went for a Saul Goodman spin off series after Breaking Bad then look no further than Rake.

Yes, Rake. It's a Australian drama/comedy about lawyers and politicians and corruption and drugs and whores and it is brilliant! The characters, plots, scripts and comedy are pure gold.

It was so good that they not only made a US version (which only lasted for one series predictably) but unpredictably is apparently created by the same guy who was behind the Ozzie series! I haven't seen that yet.

Seriously, it is so good and just gets better. It's on Netflix.

The main actor Richard Roxborough has been snapped up by various things and so the planned 6th series had to be axed.

But, if you look on IMDB the show's creator Peter Duncan is now apparently working on an Australian version of The Office? The fucking Office!

If you like subtle and intelligent humour then you'll defo like Rake mate. If anyone can pull off an Oz version of The Office then it's this guy I'm sure...

Hahahahahaha hahaha... etc
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2019 :  08:14:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

If you ever wondered why they went for a Saul Goodman spin off series after Breaking Bad then look no further than Rake.

Yes, Rake. It's a Australian drama/comedy about lawyers and politicians and corruption and drugs and whores and it is brilliant! The characters, plots, scripts and comedy are pure gold.

It was so good that they not only made a US version (which only lasted for one series predictably) but unpredictably is apparently created by the same guy who was behind the Ozzie series! I haven't seen that yet.

Seriously, it is so good and just gets better. It's on Netflix.

The main actor Richard Roxborough has been snapped up by various things and so the planned 6th series had to be axed.

But, if you look on IMDB the show's creator Peter Duncan is now apparently working on an Australian version of The Office? The fucking Office!

If you like subtle and intelligent humour then you'll defo like Rake mate. If anyone can pull off an Oz version of The Office then it's this guy I'm sure...

Hahahahahaha hahaha... etc

I started Rake but couldn't get into it. I really wanted to! How long should I give it?
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2019 :  08:26:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Started watching Barry. Two episodes in and I'm enjoying it. Nice and light.

Still haven't finished Game of Thrones as The Americans has most of my attention these days. That and the Larry Sanders Show. What a show.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000