* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2018 :  19:59:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:
Originally posted by picpic

I guess we all have our own definition of Pop (Joey included)

___
"Service Unavailable"

So what would you say is his poppiest song of all time?

First Frank Black album was very pop (according to my own definition at least). Hang on to your ego cover maybe ?

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 10/25/2018 20:01:03
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2018 :  03:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's true, parts of that album sound more poppy than a lot of the 1.0 stuff, other than HCYM (I always thought Velouria sounded kind of main stream poppy compared to other stuff too).

Hang On to Your Ego is a song I have skipped hundreds of times over the years (still do unless I'm in the mood), and I wonder if that's because of the pop factor of which we are discussing here.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  00:37:56  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4152118-this-shits-unique---dis-meets-pixies Joey Interview.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  00:01:49  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.musicradar.com/news/pixies-joey-santiago-i-was-afraid-people-would-tell-me-i-never-grew-up-as-a-guitar-player-but-fk-it-so-what Another Joey Interview.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  09:45:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice find. Definitely one of his more interesting interviews. Spoiler nothing on new music except that he thinks he was too experimental on IC but now he is going back to what he knows works best ACDC style.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  10:16:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange, when I listen to IC, I hear classic Santiago. Except maybe for Magdalena ? Maybe he's talking about all his FX pedals ? Indeed I prefer Santiago with fewer FX. Maybe not straight to the amp, but fewer is probably better. He only had a single boost pedal back in the day right ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  11:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not very knowledgeable on effects pedals and the like (except I know they used gated reverb on the drums in Gouge Away - Ha!) but I hear bit more of that two string roar on songs on HC than IC. But I would say that Joey's guitar playing on IC is one its strongest aspects
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  01:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe he was refering to both then ? But to me the AC DC ref is about using less FX and a more direct-to-amp approach (I think Malcolm Young (and Angus maybe ???) used to plug the guitar directly into their Marshall stacks without using any pedals, just a tad of the built-in distortion/reverb. Which can be very unforgiving, too.

I also remember some Joey interview about the HC sessions in which he said he was a bit embarassed by his own style and his trademark 2-string bends during the HC sessions. But Dalgety told him it was okay ,he shouldn't be ashamed, the audience loved his style, and blah blah... and then Joey got his confidence back ! Back to the old style !

Next thing to do to recatch the early Pixie mojo: get the Peavey out of storage and ask Kim to borrow her goldtop LP (but oops, I think the Breeders are using it on tour)

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  20:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

https://www.billboard.com/amp/articles/columns/rock/8483866/pixies-surfer-rosa-puerto-rico-frank-black

The complicated role of Puerto Rico in Pixies Surfer Rosa
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  03:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many many times I have reflected on what a great thing it is that the Pixies are about art not politics.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  04:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Many many times I have reflected on what a great thing it is that the Pixies are about art not politics.

Such a great point Sprite.

Of all the outer space stuff Frank has written about, nothing sounds more alien than the idea that the Pixies should get involved in PR politics.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000