Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  09:27:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw The Nightmare Before Christmas at a Halloween party the other day. I forgot how charming that movie is. The party was fun too!

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  09:32:40  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure I've ever seen Nightmare Before Xmas.

I was a huge fan of Trapdoor as a kid though, a spooky themed plasticene model kids show that's long overdue for a reboot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1feYxwwn0eM
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  09:42:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nightmare Before Christmas is great. Absolutely stunning animation, a cute, fun story, and very catchy music. And it works for both Halloween and Christmas!

That Trapdoor show looks cool! I'm a big fan of stop motion animation in general- are you familiar with the studio Laika?

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  10:02:36  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Never heard of Laika, but maybe seen something. I generally prefer real TV these days. Loved cartoons and that as a kid (what kid doesn't) but I generally pass on stuff like this these days. Trapdoor is a classic, I've still for the Commodore 64 computer game in my loft as well.

I'll always love Morph though, recently been given a reboot. A plasticene model character created by artist Tony Hart who did a TV show for kids around the late 70's/early 90's called Take Hart. He was a very talented painter/illustrator and used to paint all kinds of stuff on the show (a bit like Rolf Harris but not a child molester).

Morph was so simple and instantly adorable. If you're a fan of stop motion there here's an early 1976 classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOW7Jn0_daY
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  10:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for showing me Morph!! So cute and lovable.

Laika is a stop-motion animation studio who are doing an incredible job pushing the medium forward. They've released four movies so far with another coming next year. Their first movie, Coraline, is adapted from a Neil Gaiman book- it's gloriously surreal and actually pretty scary. Their other movies have stories that aren't quite as strong, but the amazing animation and quirky humor (Eric Idle was involved with one of them) makes up for it.

I like Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki a lot as well. Beautiful, nostalgic adventure movies made by one of Japan's greatest animators.

There are a handful of other recent animated projects I've enjoyed too. Disney had a show called Gravity Falls a little while ago that ran for two seasons. It started as standard cartoon fare with a weirdly dark sense of humor; it quickly became much more ambitious, and by the time it ended it was drawing comparisons to David Lynch, specifically Twin Peaks (hell, Kyle MacLachlan voices a character in one episode).

There was also an animated miniseries called Over The Garden Wall that was on Cartoon Network a few years back; it was a very dark, moody, Americana-influenced Halloween show about brothers who get lost deep in the woods and spend the show trying to get home. Really artistically done, and well worth a watch (the whole show is about 2 hours long). It kind of feels like a weird, unsettling dream, but in the best way possible.

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  11:26:46  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I would like to see it if it's not too gory. I love creepy, like scary, but dislike tons of blood and guts.

As a fan of horror movies, if they skimp on the gore I feel ripped off. I want to be shocked and grossed out and see things I'll never forget. Nothing more dull than a TAAAAAAME horror movie!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2018 :  04:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:

I would like to see it if it's not too gory. I love creepy, like scary, but dislike tons of blood and guts.

As a fan of horror movies, if they skimp on the gore I feel ripped off. I want to be shocked and grossed out and see things I'll never forget. Nothing more dull than a TAAAAAAME horror movie!

I respect that, though I could not handle it myself.

So give us your top three goriest movies of all time, so I know which ones to avoid :-)
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  13:08:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My friend and I watched a movie on Netflix called He Never Died. It's from a couple years ago and stars Henry Rollins as a man who appears to be dealing with depression and social isolation, who gets a chance to reconnect with his daughter. It's sort of a horror/comedy/crime thriller with some supernatural elements, and I can't decide if it's so-bad-it's-good or legitimately awesome. Henry Rollins' character is very likable, and although most of the other actors aren't great, they all seem to be having a great time. The story is absolutely nuts in the best way possible, the cinematography and sound design are very artistically done, and the gory special effects are fun without being too gratuitous. It feels like something that would've become a cult classic if it had been released in the 80s or 90s. I highly recommend it as a fun, strange popcorn movie.

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2018 :  14:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just 100% randomly decided to watch a Matthew Maconaoghy movie called “Gold” on Netflix tonight, and during the climactic scene in the movie I hear Frank yell “Hey,” and sure enough they play most of the song.

How weird was that?

Great use of the song though. Hope Frank got some gold of his own from the licensing.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2018 :  11:51:34  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

So give us your top three goriest movies of all time, so I know which ones to avoid :-)

Hmm, I'd have to say, and these aren't movies I like because of the gore (that isn't really what makes me love a movie), but these are three of my favorite horror films that are also very gross:

Dead Alive
Terrorvision
Re-Animator (or From Beyond, both the same director and actors, take your pick)
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2018 :  01:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone seen the new Coens film on Netflix? Tom Waits makes a great appearance in one of the vignettes.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2018 :  02:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Has anyone seen the new Coens film on Netflix? Tom Waits makes a great appearance in one of the vignettes.

Yes! Loved it.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2018 :  02:35:32  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for reminding me. There's my Saturday evening entertainment lined up right there.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  05:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great News is very funny.

Watched The Dead Pool (Eastwood) randomly the other night. Very funny also, but for all the wrong reasons.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  07:28:01  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I went to a screening of Ballad of Buster Scruggs for my birthday and loved it. Coens are geniuses.

As for TV, man I'm really digging Colony. Colony is a show by Carlton Cuse (LOST) and it would have been a hit like 10 years ago, but now we're in "peak" "prestige" whatever TV so a show that is merely scene-for-scene incredibly entertaining, suspenseful and fun is ignored by everyone. It's too bad. But I'm really loving it. Almost done with season 1.

Started season 2 of Castlevania, a show with incredible promise about a videogame I like written by one of my all-time favorite writers, and season 2 so far has all the problems season 1 had, and I'm still extremely disappointed.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  16:12:44  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Half way through Scruggs. Wasn't expecting a short film antholog, All good stuff but too much bad green screening and a bit overpolished? At least so far I've learned a new technigue for digging for gold. There's gold in the hills where I am from.

Edited by - pot on 11/30/2018 16:13:27
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  19:39:03  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't notice any green screening, unless it was meant to be intentional as a play on the genre, like in the final short.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  00:08:37  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I didn't notice any green screening, unless it was meant to be intentional as a play on the genre, like in the final short.

That is the whole point of green screening of course. You're not supposed to notice. I don't know it just seemed a bit overly polished. My only negative critisism of it really, otherwise I loved it. Favourite ones were the one with the traveling stage act with the guy with no arms or legs and Tom Waits digging for gold. Didn't realise it was Tom Waits until after! There's definitely some special effecting going on anyway. I'd like to think it was all filmed on location, some beautiful landscapes. I guess maybe some of them might have been digitally reconstructed?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  00:13:28  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Watched A Star Is Born last night. Not sure how folks around here feel about that, but it is what is and I really liked it. It's a remake of an old film, 4th version I believe. Both Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper play stellar parts, and Lady Gaga is quite a singer. Even if you don't really like her pop career much, which I personally don't you have to credit her with having an outstanding talent for singing and performing. I predict they will both get Oscar noms.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  07:17:26  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

That is the whole point of green screening of course.

I'm saying if the Coens utilized obvious green screen in a western genre pastiche movie, I'm pretty sure they want you to notice it, as a few parts in it are supposed to feel kind of old Hollywood. But to be honest, except for the final one, I didn't notice any. Maybe because I was in a theater and just swept up in the whole thing rather than watching on TV where I can scrutinize the image more. But to me it seemed all location and pretty darn beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  08:17:46  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

That is the whole point of green screening of course.

I'm saying if the Coens utilized obvious green screen in a western genre pastiche movie, I'm pretty sure they want you to notice it, as a few parts in it are supposed to feel kind of old Hollywood. But to be honest, except for the final one, I didn't notice any. Maybe because I was in a theater and just swept up in the whole thing rather than watching on TV where I can scrutinize the image more. But to me it seemed all location and pretty darn beautiful.

Well, in The Gal Who Got Rattled there was a scene where Bill Knapp and Miss Longabaugh were walking with the convoy of carriages sort of behind them. You couldn't see their legs so I got to thinking maybe the background was filmed on location and they perhaps deliberately green screened that scene because it was easier to refilm if they fluffed their lines?

Edited by - pot on 12/02/2018 08:23:00
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2018 :  13:53:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lifetime channel
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2018 :  10:23:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danjersey

Lifetime channel

Christmas specials?
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2018 :  14:45:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by danjersey

Lifetime channel

Christmas specials?

yep. Hallmarks not available
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  00:17:06  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Half way through White Boy Rick: a biographical story about the FBI's youngest ever informant. Set in the mid 80's in Detroit amidst predominantly black culture; features some nice early hip hop breakdancing roots. Got a really nice Scorcese gangster movie feel to it overall. Going to catch the rest of it this evening over a few bottles of fermented barley. I strongly recommend everyone who likes Scorcese-esque gangster movies to check it out.

Edited by - pot on 12/14/2018 00:17:51
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  02:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watched that newest Tom Cruise Mission Impossible movie, Fallout I think?

Basically it's like a ride at the amusement park. Fun that doesn't involve thinking, and not much to discuss after it's over. And I little too long. And not really good for you in any way. But at least you can say you did it.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  03:59:33  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd have to be really bored to sit down and watch a Tom Cruise Impossible Mission film, but I get what you're saying.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  07:44:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's me, but I was bored watching this thing, and it's like the most jam packed with action movie of all time. Maybe there's too much action?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  08:09:04  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Action movies bore me in general. I like drama and character development.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  08:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with you there.

One interesting thing though (to me at least) was how Cruise does all his own stunts. It's really insane. That's actually him hanging below a real helicopter, etc. I don't understand how people decide to do this stuff.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  09:00:12  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom Cruise is genuinely crazy, so that probably explains things
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2019 :  18:37:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For all you Humboldt County fans, “Murder Mountain” is a fascinating study of the the illegal / legal marijuana business in Nor Cal.

I keeping waiting for our man’s song.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  03:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bird box was worth watching. Suspense, apocalyptic type stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  16:26:31  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just want to pop in to say the latest few Mission Impossible movies are certainly worth watching, and in times when action movies have gotten about as bad as horror movies have, the MI movies have devastatingly exciting and tense and complex (I mean in the filming, not in the execution) action scenes, such that I can't really think of any legitimate competition lately. Just watch one of the few youtube behind the scenes of how they filmed this stuff, to me it's absolutely remarkable human beings can do these things.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  09:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need some recommendations for viewing in 2019. Kind of bored right now.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000