Page: of 17

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  01:48:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage
Man, talk about the few and the strong - you guys are soldiers!

The award goes to Bedbug. There would be no new topics if he wasn't here. (I'm hoping for a "briefs or boxers ?" topic anytime soon)

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  11:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage
Man, talk about the few and the strong - you guys are soldiers!

The award goes to Bedbug. There would be no new topics if he wasn't here. (I'm hoping for a "briefs or boxers ?" topic anytime soon)

___
"Service Unavailable"

Aww, thanks picpic, you’re too kind!

The forum is too good and I bet even better days are ahead.

And I may as well ask this here: can anyone tell me how to get a signature to show up on my posts? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  20:52:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Profile -> Signature

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2018 :  00:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now where were we?

Yeah, that never works for me. Says I need to log in, but I'm already logged in.

"Deaner! Help!"
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  02:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Now where were we?

Yeah, that never works for me. Says I need to log in, but I'm already logged in.

"Deaner! Help!"

Wait... is a custom signature even allowed for a 1-star rank ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  02:40:23  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dean, are you related to people named Katsaros?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  02:04:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Now where were we?

"Deaner! Help!"

Wait... is a custom signature even allowed for a 1-star rank ?

___
"Service Unavailable"

Hey, that's a good point. I don't want to sound like I'm grumbling if it's just a matter of me earning my stripes.
Go to Top of Page

presley1
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2018 :  20:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still haven't heard Super lecker.

Oh my golly!
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  17:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by presley1

I still haven't heard Super lecker.

Oh my golly!

I don't think anyone has. They seemingly only played it once live, and there is only a compilation video of that show on YouTube with a shirt clip of Super Lecker.

I'm bummed there hasn't been any new updates or clues about the band working on new music. I can only assume they are still in the middle of writing, but it seems they have increased the secrecy of they are in a studio somewhere. Just give us a little nugget, a little something something Charles!
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2018 :  00:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last tour was crazy. I hope they enjoy a bit of a break right now. I remember Joey saying somewhere they were putting down new ideas but won't be in the studio anytime soon.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2018 :  07:23:54  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a feeling the album has been recorded. All last fall in interviews they said they had been jamming and working on ideas. A few months ago on Matt Pinfield's podcast Joey said they were going to be recording this spring. I think he mentioned or alluded to April or May. A couple of months ago, Paz posted an instagram story of them recording "raw and feral" demos in New England. Shortly afterwards, Paz went off instagram completely for a month or so, and only reappeared a few weeks ago, showing that she's back in LA. All during that same time, Charles has been posting more and more paintings on his Instagram, and he's said in the past that when he's working on music that he likes to use painting as a method of working things out. The Weezer tour starts in a few weeks and runs til the end of August. So, I'm thinking the songs have been recorded, and now Dalgety and whoever else is working on mixes.... the album won't come out this year though, because the fall will be dedicated to the Come On Pilgrim/Surfer Rosa re-releases and shows.... So I'm hoping they take a good long time in post production, making sure the mixes and mastering are perfect this time, and the album comes out next spring.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2018 :  01:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yarbles
So I'm hoping they take a good long time in post production, making sure the mixes and mastering are perfect this time

Nope. Joey fell in love with the Dalgety overboosted sound. Next album will probably sound the same. Sigh. But we'll probably get some decent live soundboard recordings like we had for HC.

I wonder if anyone really cares about a new Pixies record. I remember the great expectations for the first 2.0 record that were still pretty high for the next one following the terrible reviews. Now what ?

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 06/06/2018 01:51:34
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2018 :  04:40:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, I pulled up HC this morning on Apple Music and scrolled through the track list. Nothing moved me. Ended up clicking on Oona, but it sounds so much like easy listening or something. Then I went to the complete FB&Cs and hit shuffle. It played Western Star and Blast Off back to back. So my morning was salvaged.

Basically what I’m saying is I’m not all that excited for the new 2.0 album.
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2018 :  08:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just mentioned in another thread that I sincerely miss having some form of Frank Black music to look forward to each year. Unfortunately, it seems those days are gone.

-oddball
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2018 :  21:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

I have a feeling the album has been recorded. All last fall in interviews they said they had been jamming and working on ideas. A few months ago on Matt Pinfield's podcast Joey said they were going to be recording this spring. I think he mentioned or alluded to April or May. A couple of months ago, Paz posted an instagram story of them recording "raw and feral" demos in New England. Shortly afterwards, Paz went off instagram completely for a month or so, and only reappeared a few weeks ago, showing that she's back in LA. All during that same time, Charles has been posting more and more paintings on his Instagram, and he's said in the past that when he's working on music that he likes to use painting as a method of working things out. The Weezer tour starts in a few weeks and runs til the end of August. So, I'm thinking the songs have been recorded, and now Dalgety and whoever else is working on mixes.... the album won't come out this year though, because the fall will be dedicated to the Come On Pilgrim/Surfer Rosa re-releases and shows.... So I'm hoping they take a good long time in post production, making sure the mixes and mastering are perfect this time, and the album comes out next spring.

Been thinking about this recently too, especially after the IG hiatus from Paz and Dalgety somewhat. Something has been recorded and whether it's the final product or not, we'll likely get a preview of some tracks this summer in the live shows. I'm torn on that though, as I'd almost like to be surprised by the new material this time around. I hope you are right and they've been working while out of the social media spotlight. I know Charles seems to be against the fans knowing much about the process other than the finished group of songs. But I think that works against them and the buildup of excitement these days. The Vines he made for IC were cool, and exciting. Don't see why they don't cultivate some excitement from the fans using the various platforms available?

If there are no releases until next spring I'll be shocked and really disappointed though. That's too long without some BF songs to digest.

How much has he been posting on his IG page Yarbles?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  02:30:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny how FB fans don't like current Pixies, while 2.0 records have been criticized by Pixies fan as being too much like "Frank Black featuring the Pixies".

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  04:55:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Funny how FB fans don't like current Pixies, while 2.0 records have been criticized by Pixies fan as being too much like "Frank Black featuring the Pixies".

___
"Service Unavailable"

I think you are making some sweeping statements here, are you basing this off of a handful of people on here who say these things? There are a ton of BF/FB fans still enjoying the new music and excited to see what comes next. But I maintain that excitement isn't cultivated or heightened at this time because the band isn't letting the fans in on the process. In one way I understand the desire for privacy while working but it's not like anyone is going to fly out to where they are recording and hound them. It's just a glimpse into the inner workings and builds anticipation. Think they could improve in this aspect of the current musical climate.

Edited by - natenate101 on 06/07/2018 04:56:19
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  07:28:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:

I think you are making some sweeping statements here, are you basing this off of a handful of people on here who say these things? There are a ton of BF/FB fans

Well, yes. That's the general tendency I see on this forum or social media in general for Pixies fans vs FB fans. But I confess I haven't conducted a general opinon poll among worldwide Pixes/FB fans. Just simply reading social media/forums. I myself don't really see the real barrier between FB solo and BF in Pixies mode, that's probably why I find this kind of reaction amusing.

But you're right, maybe I should have added "some" FB / Pixies fans. Not 100% of each camp. Of course.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 06/07/2018 07:31:09
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  09:28:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

I'm actually guilty of holding both positions at the same time.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  13:50:00  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While I admit Indie Cindy isn't up to par with previous records, I really like Head Carrier and think it's a big step in the right direction. I'm excited for the new album. They've gone through an entire album and tour cycle with Paz, the live shows are better than ever at the moment in my opinion, and the band in general just seems to be in a good spot. Looking forward to what comes next.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  13:52:40  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101
How much has he been posting on his IG page Yarbles?

It seems he'd post a painting every day or two for awhile. He doesn't post anything besides that though. However, I have seen him comment of that Planet of Sound Podcast IG account every so often. Which is cool, we at least see him interacting with fans/commenting on stuff related to Pixies every so often.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2018 :  04:10:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, cool. I forgot about this podcast. Need to catch up newest episodes. I remember listening to the first one and they were especially talkin about their own story and feelings with the band. I expected more behind the scenes or trivia about the band. But they were just starting off. Nice to see BF interacting with them.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2018 :  07:26:22  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's a very different podcast than what Brian and Dean gave us, it's more loose. The later episodes get into more specifics about each album, the first was a bit of an intro. Different, but not bad.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2018 :  12:31:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never even heard of this podcast. Was it discussed here before? Any links to Charles' IG? I always enjoy seeing his paintings.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2018 :  12:57:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.instagram.com/charlesmkthompson/

he seems to often change his name (or create new accounts). Same for Paz ? her IG channel "Fierylimbs" looks down.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2018 :  10:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

I never even heard of this podcast. Was it discussed here before?

yes briefly in another thread i think.

I tried to listen to the second episode... I don't think I'll go to the next one. Lame jokes and one of the hosts burping repeatedely was so irritating. And no real interesting trivia that wasn't in the usual Pixies books. I think I'll pass for now.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2018 :  05:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was just listening to Pixies the Boston Broadcast 1987.

If they could somehow have some kind of album that could sound something like this it would be beyond anyone’s expectations.

And I’m just talking about the production, I get that it’s 30 years later and vocal chords and energy levels have changed.

But this is the best thing you’ll ever hear, and it’s super stripped down / basic sounding.

I can’t believe it’s only got like 40K views on YouTube.

It’s got the best Down To the Well ever, and how about that Subbacultcha / D=RxT mashup.

But again my point is the production, the sound.

Pray for the Pixies. We don’t need Compressd Pixies.
Go to Top of Page

QuaBear
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2018 :  05:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeh Bedbug...this is a superb performance...I don't know if the Pixies can ever capture that type of urgency anymore...just listening to that, I remember why I fell in love with the Pixies in the first place...there's just a sense of incredible fun in the Pixies
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2018 :  08:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, QuaBear, that the energy is not re-capture-able. As we've said on other threads, most fans today are probably fans because of what was done during 1.0 not 2.0.

Having said that, I think FB and the team are doing an amazing job with the 2.0 live performances. And the songs on the two albums are, for the most part, cool.

It's the production of the forthcoming album that I'm hoping will be different. I'm not expecting the energy, vocals, instruments, or anything else to sound like the Boston Broadcast performance or like Surfer Rosa. But there is a way to make the new album a better listen than IC and HC on the studio side. That's what I'm hoping for.

Even if he's going to play Violet on the new album, it should sound like he's playing Violet in my bedroom, not behind a wall of muff.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2018 :  21:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we all agree on that.

Sadly, that's not the way you sell records nowadays.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2018 :  02:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think we all agree on that.

Sadly, that's not the way you sell records nowadays.

___
"Service Unavailable"

So what do we do?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2018 :  09:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
So what do we do?

Listen to live versions or take zen lessons and just accept it.

And pray one day some un-mastered tracks will eventually find their way. They exist somewhere (and nobody cares but 5 geeks on an empty Frank Black message board).

Meanwhile, I listen to the 2nd Grand Duchy album. Sounds great.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2018 :  10:21:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

found it on youtube. great set! Is it downloadable in FLAC anywhere?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2018 :  04:58:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rivum

quote:

I guess that’s a question for Benji or picpic or someone smart like that.

I’ve just been listening on my browser.

That version of Break My Body is to die for.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2018 :  07:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by rivum

quote:

I guess that’s a question for Benji or picpic or someone smart like that.

Yeah. I have a lot of very rare Pixies and FB recordings

(all leeched from Benji)

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000