Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2013 :  07:04:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 Questions:
1) Would you ever consider busting out some Black Francis songs like Threshold or 6 Legged Man at a Pixies show?
2) Would you ever consider maybe doing a low-key unpublicized frankblack.net presale to gigs? I think it is great that the Pixies are doing cool intimate venues, but shows like the Barrowlands tonight that I'm missing sell out in 2-3 minutes, with hundreds being sold online for over 100 pounds. It would ensure that those of us who have followed your career all the way through - the ones who have a favourite Catholics record or who have been dedicated enough to have the signed polaroids from Bluefinger or the Golem box sets - to get some tickets before the scalpers and casual Pixies fans. I don't feel entitled to this, but it might be a neat idea.

I hope the gig and rest of the tour goes well. Digging EP-1 and looking forward to EP-2, and maybe even LP-5.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2013 :  21:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats a great idea Brank - I found myself in the same situation. I remember the 'good' old days where I went to Virgin Megastore to get my FB&C's tickets for King Tuts and being amazed they had them in stock.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2013 :  12:48:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blckfrncs

quote:
Originally posted by shineoftheever

We (visitors/readers of this forum)really owe you a lot Dean. Cheers!

Hello Frank,

I just wanna say keep up the good work! I eagerly await your next release. Just a couple questions:

1) I know tattoos aren't everybody's cuppa, but if done right (well) can be very artistic in their own right (I don't think many can argue that) i'm a big tattoo fanatic and have decided to get a tattoo of yourself, an homage if you will. I just can't decide what picture. originally wanted to do beach scene with you cruisin' in a hovercraft. then i wanted to do a profile type black/white rendition of the drawing beneath the inlay from Honeycomb. But i think what would really look the best and capture what i'm trying to get across is a fairly true rendering of the oddballs cover but i really need the full head shot for the artist to work with - how can i get this?

2) teenager of the year 20th anniversary tour next year?

JL

20th Anniversary Tour; Teenager Of The Year: Live and Complete - Coming Soon in 2014 to your favorite venue!

JL-

I think if you are going to commit to a tattoo of my own face, I think you should use a photograph from the photographer MICHAEL HALSBAND; he is the simply the best.

Ch

can't believe i missed this many moons ago and thanks for the pointer. i will take to my tattooer. some damn fine photography from MH. i had heard of him before but wasn't aware he took those TOTY photos. too cool!

keep up the good work!!! EP1 just gets better and better.

any word on the FB&tC box set?

"Do Re Me So Far So Good"
Go to Top of Page

leon993
- FB Fan -

Denmark
6 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2013 :  09:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I first listened to EP1, I though Andro Queen sounded like a personal experience (alien first experience), indie Cindy like a song to young would-be fans, another toe like something for radio and what goes boom a heavy metal opening, which was far off pixies as any song, like pixies searching for new fans. Am I far off here?
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  16:11:13  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leon993

When I first listened to EP1, I though Andro Queen sounded like a personal experience (alien first experience), indie Cindy like a song to young would-be fans, another toe like something for radio and what goes boom a heavy metal opening, which was far off pixies as any song, like pixies searching for new fans. Am I far off here?

There is no far off; there is no close by. Only music

Bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  16:13:27  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

2 Questions:
1) Would you ever consider busting out some Black Francis songs like Threshold or 6 Legged Man at a Pixies show?
2) Would you ever consider maybe doing a low-key unpublicized frankblack.net presale to gigs? I think it is great that the Pixies are doing cool intimate venues, but shows like the Barrowlands tonight that I'm missing sell out in 2-3 minutes, with hundreds being sold online for over 100 pounds. It would ensure that those of us who have followed your career all the way through - the ones who have a favourite Catholics record or who have been dedicated enough to have the signed polaroids from Bluefinger or the Golem box sets - to get some tickets before the scalpers and casual Pixies fans. I don't feel entitled to this, but it might be a neat idea.

I hope the gig and rest of the tour goes well. Digging EP-1 and looking forward to EP-2, and maybe even LP-5.

Never say never, but no, never
Bf
Go to Top of Page

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  16:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to seeing you in Phoenix in February. Who'll be playing bass?
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  17:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gibson SG. Why now?
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  08:30:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The record "Trompe le monde" - it has a narrative, right, and this narrative is travelling through space and time, even more right?

Would you agree that Cat Stevens is the best combination of a songwriter and musician?

I never heard you say anything about Pink Floyd - are they completely off your radar? If not, do you have a favourite album by them? If yes, is it Animals? If not, which else?

Which trio of this three do you like most: Police, The (early) Cure, or Trio?

Do you like the latest Leonard Cohen album? Have you seen him on his most recent tour, and if yes, what went through your mind seeing the man perform?

What do you think of Dinosaur Jr.'s reunion album "Beyond"?

Do you like the Pet Shop Boys?

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

Classic Masher
- FB Fan -

146 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  14:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Francis- Thanks for stopping by again.

I have really good tickets to see you guys in January in DC, do I need to worry it won't happen? Will you guys be announcing a new touring bassist soon?

Any chance you will ever do "The Cover of Rolling Stone" live with the whole band?

Any chance I will see Pixies play my forum name-sake (Classic Masher) at the DC show?

"Mixed messages from Sir Naff, please authenticate..."
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  17:07:05  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
blckfrncs,

you give an inspiring rant against newfangled mobile phones and such, but i'm sure they're priceless for a guy touring a different continent than the one his bunches of kids and wonderful wife are on.

if you really want to end the Pixies Appreciation Tell-A-Thon then release new music (LOTS of it) and play it all at shows. weed out the hosers. PIXIES 2.0, mofo!

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2013 :  11:23:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
blckfrncs, what's your view on a guy in your position biting the hand that feeds?

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2013 :  21:18:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ what?

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2013 :  16:31:44  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
*Stomps on foot* excuse me, mr thompson,

your solo career was a non-stop onslaught of newly recorded music. are you itching to get back to that carefree pace with the pixies, or does this (relative) trickle of musical output better suit your current lifestyle (married with a gaggle of dependents)?

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2013 :  04:05:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A question or 3 for blckfrncs;

Shaun Rider of the Happy Mondays and Black Grape fame has been presenting an investgative TV show on the History channel (UK) on UFO's. Not that I have the means or resources, but if you were approached to do one of these programmes would it be something that would interest you?

Does the subject matter still interest you and can we expect any more extraterrestrial themes in your music?

As a parent what is your take on the subject, should we deny all knowledge to the wee ones, or embrace the possibility?

Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2013 :  04:46:42  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Amnesia" on vinyl would make it worth my while to plunk down $ towards a Kickstarter or other crowd-sourced - or traditional sales - mechanism for another b-sides / rarities / live covers compilation. Could we do this? I would be willing volunteer time to work with The Bureau.

--------
baby poop, curry
Go to Top of Page

BoredOfTheValley
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2013 :  21:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank.

I love Honeycomb. What was it like to work with Steve Cropper?
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2013 :  03:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Black,

Will we be lucky enough to hear David Lovering lead singing on some new Pixies songs?
I am currently re-discovering the record he did with Joey Santiago in 2009 "Avatar".
This is pretty good.
Have you listenned to it?
Any thoughts?

Cheers!

++++
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2013 :  21:41:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who would win in a fight, Black Francis or Frank Black?
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  00:22:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

My guess: Frank Black (he seems to be more patient)

++++
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  03:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo

quote:

++++

I think the odds may be stacked in Black Francis' favour as he could 'Turn into a Monster when I fight' a la Svn Fngrs and Frank Black might say 'I Don't Want to Hurt You' although rather ominously in brackets he says (not every single time.

Too close to call.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  10:33:52  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo

quote:

++++

I think the odds may be stacked in Black Francis' favour as he could 'Turn into a Monster when I fight' a la Svn Fngrs and Frank Black might say 'I Don't Want to Hurt You' although rather ominously in brackets he says (not every single time.

Too close to call.

If you hadn't answered your own question, this would be genius.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2018 :  11:12:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A nice read this thread for hindsight (bar seeing my silly comments!) and was really awesome when BF would stop round. Wonder what happened to the record with Paley / R Stevie Moore?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2018 :  01:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I frequently use the search option to find old mrblckfrncs posts.

AFAIK his latest Q&A was mid-2015 (on Periscope). I posted it on my Youtube channel back in the day. Questions were pretty lame unfortunately.

1 Q&A before EP1 was realease (this thread)
1 Q&A before HC sessions (mid-2015 on Periscope)

I guess the next one will popup anytime soon ! i'm preparing my questions just in case.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 03/22/2018 01:13:47
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2018 :  04:19:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

the signed polaroids from Bluefinger