-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 what music is doing it for you lately?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

1023 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2018 :  06:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doing a lot of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds this week.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

1023 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2018 :  06:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool Water by Johnny Cash is one of the best songs about water
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

711 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2018 :  11:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Alison Crutchfield, twin sister of Katie Crutchfield aka Waxahatchee has a new band (Swearin') and album and they're really great too. Just like with Deal sisters we get multiple bands created from only one womb.

https://www.facebook.com/swearinband/videos/345770726169040/



I haven't listened to them in years since their first album which was very fun indeed. Good song and I'd no idea your one was related to the Waxahatchee girl.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2589 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2018 :  11:11:13  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Alison Crutchfield, twin sister of Katie Crutchfield aka Waxahatchee has a new band (Swearin') and album and they're really great too. Just like with Deal sisters we get multiple bands created from only one womb.

https://www.facebook.com/swearinband/videos/345770726169040/



I haven't listened to them in years since their first album which was very fun indeed. Good song and I'd no idea your one was related to the Waxahatchee girl.



Aye Alison also plays in Waxahatchee I think. This all confused me for a while as well until I realised they were twins.
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2018 :  14:38:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nirvanaís MTV Unplugged got me to go listen to the Meat Puppets over the past few weeks. Awesome stuff. Also relistened to The Good, the Bad and the Queenís first album in preparation for their new album in November- itís amazing how prolific Damon Albarn is, and I really enjoyed the last Gorillaz album, so Iím really looking forward to the new one!

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
730 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2018 :  00:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster

Nirvanaís MTV Unplugged got me to go listen to the Meat Puppets over the past few weeks. Awesome stuff. Also relistened to The Good, the Bad and the Queenís first album in preparation for their new album in November- itís amazing how prolific Damon Albarn is, and I really enjoyed the last Gorillaz album, so Iím really looking forward to the new one!

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.



Was just listening to Meat Puppets II the other day! Haven't listened to Nirvana for a while but always thought Kurt Cobain had a pretty great music taste, discovered quite a few bands through covers and band he mentioned in interviews etc.

He wasn't afraid to champion his influences and that's how I got listening to the Wipers. Their album Is This Real is quite a masterpiece, can't believe it was released in 1980. Any Wipers fans here?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

1023 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2018 :  04:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I like any song about rats
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2589 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2018 :  04:47:15  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I heard a song by Weezer on the radio today and I liked it. The sweater song. Oooooh.

On a more dark and cerebral level though, I've been revisiting the old classic Bauhaus album this week -The Sky's Gone Out. Very weird album, not everyone's cup of tea but I love it.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

711 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2018 :  09:07:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought the Wipers triple album set a few years back. Great stuff. Must revisit - similar-ish to Husker Du. Any Leatherface fans here?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

1023 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2018 :  09:15:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

I heard a song by Weezer on the radio today and I liked it. The sweater song. Oooooh.

On a more dark and cerebral level though, I've been revisiting the old classic Bauhaus album this week -The Sky's Gone Out. Very weird album, not everyone's cup of tea but I love it.



Isn't that like their big break out hit or something?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2589 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2018 :  09:48:57  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:
Originally posted by pot

I heard a song by Weezer on the radio today and I liked it. The sweater song. Oooooh.

On a more dark and cerebral level though, I've been revisiting the old classic Bauhaus album this week -The Sky's Gone Out. Very weird album, not everyone's cup of tea but I love it.



Isn't that like their big break out hit or something?



Aye that and Pie and Beans / Buddy Holly. I don't know much else. They are good at recreating the feel good indie rock vibe so you can't really fault them for that.

Weezer yeah. They did that cover of Toto's Africa recently and it sounded almost exactly the same, which begged the question: what was the fucking point?

It's good that they did it though, but covers are meant to not sound exactly the same as the original. Like Cold Beat's cover of Eurythmic's Love Is A Stranger, took it to a whole new hi-energy gay club music level for me.

So I heard the Sweater song on the radio the other day and I'm like, oh that's quite Pavementy and then I think, wait is that Weezer? I was just slagging them off the other day and now I find myself enjoying the vibe of one of their songs.

It's hard not to though. Full marks for accessibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHQqqM5sr7g

Now listen to Swing The Heartache by Bauhaus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHclFboVd5E

Edited by - pot on 10/25/2018 10:08:03
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2018 :  13:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster

Nirvanaís MTV Unplugged got me to go listen to the Meat Puppets over the past few weeks. Awesome stuff. Also relistened to The Good, the Bad and the Queenís first album in preparation for their new album in November- itís amazing how prolific Damon Albarn is, and I really enjoyed the last Gorillaz album, so Iím really looking forward to the new one!

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.



Was just listening to Meat Puppets II the other day! Haven't listened to Nirvana for a while but always thought Kurt Cobain had a pretty great music taste, discovered quite a few bands through covers and band he mentioned in interviews etc.

He wasn't afraid to champion his influences and that's how I got listening to the Wipers. Their album Is This Real is quite a masterpiece, can't believe it was released in 1980. Any Wipers fans here?



As a matter of fact I was listening to Nirvana because I was driving back from a Breeders concert (which was wonderful btw), and Kim had told a little anecdote about them! I definitely agree about Kurt's awesome musical influences. I actually like his version of The Man Who Sold The World better than Bowie's... blasphemous, right? Anyway, I've actually been meaning to check out the Wipers. Gonna go listen to them now and report back.

And speaking of the Breeders, anyone else see the music video they did for the song Spacewoman? I loved the song and thought the video was pretty cool.

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
730 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2018 :  01:02:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Yes, I like any song about rats



Haha there are a lot of songs about rats now you mention it! Rat Race by the Specials, Rat Trap Boomtown Rats, Rats by the Kinks, I Came as a Rat by Modest Mouse, Great King Rat by Queen, The Rat by Walkmen, Rat Farm by Meat Puppets...but the best (worst?) rat song will always be Rat in mi kitchen by UB40!


Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

1023 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2018 :  02:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Yes, I like any song about rats



Haha there are a lot of songs about rats now you mention it! Rat Race by the Specials, Rat Trap Boomtown Rats, Rats by the Kinks, I Came as a Rat by Modest Mouse, Great King Rat by Queen, The Rat by Walkmen, Rat Farm by Meat Puppets...but the best (worst?) rat song will always be Rat in mi kitchen by UB40!








Thank you for the great list!

Rats by Syd Barrett is an early favorite of mine.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
730 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2018 :  10:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

I bought the Wipers triple album set a few years back. Great stuff. Must revisit - similar-ish to Husker Du. Any Leatherface fans here?



Not usually into mackem bands named after horror movie characters but what the hell, you have good music taste so I'll check them out!
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
730 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2018 :  10:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:
Originally posted by pot

I heard a song by Weezer on the radio today and I liked it. The sweater song. Oooooh.

On a more dark and cerebral level though, I've been revisiting the old classic Bauhaus album this week -The Sky's Gone Out. Very weird album, not everyone's cup of tea but I love it.



Isn't that like their big break out hit or something?



Aye that and Pie and Beans / Buddy Holly. I don't know much else. They are good at recreating the feel good indie rock vibe so you can't really fault them for that.

Weezer yeah. They did that cover of Toto's Africa recently and it sounded almost exactly the same, which begged the question: what was the fucking point?

It's good that they did it though, but covers are meant to not sound exactly the same as the original. Like Cold Beat's cover of Eurythmic's Love Is A Stranger, took it to a whole new hi-energy gay club music level for me.

So I heard the Sweater song on the radio the other day and I'm like, oh that's quite Pavementy and then I think, wait is that Weezer? I was just slagging them off the other day and now I find myself enjoying the vibe of one of their songs.

It's hard not to though. Full marks for accessibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHQqqM5sr7g

Now listen to Swing The Heartache by Bauhaus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHclFboVd5E



Pot, thank you for all the music suggestions, I know we don't always say thanks but they do get checked out!

Strangely I prefer Love and Rockets to Bauhaus but you can't have one without the other!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2589 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2018 :  10:59:17  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10
Pot, thank you for all the music suggestions, I know we don't always say thanks but they do get checked out!

Strangely I prefer Love and Rockets to Bauhaus but you can't have one without the other!



Oh right. I wasn't sure but good to know, it's nice to share and introduce people to good music.

I've never heard of Love and Rockets, to be honest The Sky's Gone Out is all I'm really familiar with regarding Bauhaus. Having a dig around some of their other albums on spotify though. I'll check out L&R tomorrow.

I've got a ton of rare 80's synth wave/dark wave/punk wave stuff I torrented a few years ago, there were hundreds of albums and compilations but I've only scratched the surface of what I managed to get. So much rare stuff out there, old and new.

This later one by Peter Murphy that came up on my Youtube suggestions as I was checking out L&R there is somewhat more accessible than the early Bauhaus stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpz2AWu4PZg
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

711 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2018 :  11:18:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

I bought the Wipers triple album set a few years back. Great stuff. Must revisit - similar-ish to Husker Du. Any Leatherface fans here?



Not usually into mackem bands named after horror movie characters but what the hell, you have good music taste so I'll check them out!



Heh, thanks! I won't pretend to be a huge fan of them as I only have a couple of their albums but some of their songs are ferocious and wonderful. Huge fan of the singer's gravelly vocals. This is a good article on them: https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2015/nov/06/melancholia-and-raw-pain-sad-end-leatherface-dickie-hammond-frankie-stubbs

I believe the first song of theirs I heard was Springtime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZQ_7s0Fg48 Brings to mind Celebrated Summer by Huskers. If you like that stick on I Want The Moon or listen to the whole album, Mush, which contains several crackers but suffers a little from getting a bit repetitive.

Today I have been listening to Half Man Half Biscuit's new album (their singer is one of the best lyricists in the business) and a lot of Del Shannon. I have Frank to thank for the latter.

Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

Wallis and Futuna Islands
757 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  01:54:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reitzell, Manning Jr - 50 Floors Up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryRo35P_ACc
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2589 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  08:17:21  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heard this new Johnny Marr the other day on BBCR6 during an interview. In case there are any millennials who haven't heard of him he was the guitarist in The Smiths.

Bit of an earworm, nothing very original to see here but very reminiscent of the UK pop rock scene of the late 80's, as it slowly evolved into the indie/alternative scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGapts3BGmY
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

1023 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2018 :  04:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Heard this new Johnny Marr the other day on BBCR6 during an interview. In case there are any millennials who haven't heard of him he was the guitarist in The Smiths.

Bit of an earworm, nothing very original to see here but very reminiscent of the UK pop rock scene of the late 80's, as it slowly evolved into the indie/alternative scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGapts3BGmY



I dug that, thank for sharing. Lots of layers going on there.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2589 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2018 :  22:22:25  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I think it could be a smash hit.

The new Yowler album is pretty chilled. Reminds me of the early Waxahatchee stuff.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7elBiJfnS2VuPDYFeCTCtR
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2589 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2018 :  23:20:25  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank Black made his debut on The Chain on friday with Headache. The Chain is a long running feature on the afternoon radio broadcast on BBC radio 6 where people phone in with suggestions on how to link the next song.

https://www.thechain.uk/

I have suggested Painkiller by The Chap for the next track.

This has inspired me to revisit some of their music again, and so I'm just listening to this EP/mini-album that seems to feature some interesting cover versions. Your Latest Trick by Dire Straits and Bruce Springsteen gets a mix in one of the remixes which are quite lo-fi electro. They're quite experimental.

https://open.spotify.com/album/3wiCzAnB8t0ON0fWhTsS71
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2589 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2018 :  03:01:37  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Boy Harsher. Some pretty nice dark, minimal synths going down here.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5EcFGCrF157pER8q7P2xoj

Nice fan video to this track, a few faces everyone will recognise (and plenty of hips)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc4_d0s2yuo
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

1023 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2018 :  08:26:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Better late than never, but I am on my way this weekend to see Bob Dylan perform live.

Looking forward to whatever form it takes.

Any other Dylan fans on the forum?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2589 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2018 :  08:52:24  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Crikey. That's a big one. Which gig? I lived in Springfield, Mass for 6 months in around 1975 so I'm told but I have zero recollection of the experience.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

711 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2018 :  11:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look up the video of Dylan playing Jokerman live on Letterman back in the day. His backing band were the Plugz, a punk band.

https://www.vulture.com/2015/05/strange-saga-of-dylans-first-letterman-gig.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2016 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000