-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 what music is doing it for you lately?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2018 :  00:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“Caribou” by Earth, Wind, & Fire
Go to Top of Page

Srisaket
= Cult of Ray =

Thailand
302 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  19:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jane Weaver - Modern Kosmology
Snail Mail - Lush
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2593 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2018 :  10:31:22  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bit of Art Brut to begin the beer evening this time, followed by some classic Abba

Love their early dance moves lol #RainbowLove

I was an early Abba fan from as long as I can remember. The first vinyl album I bought with my Mum was their Greatest Hits, and I still to this day love them.

They are one of the greatest pop bands, possibly thee. As far as song writing goes, for that genre they completely own pop music. And they went back in the studio and recorded two new songs which are going to be released about Christmas time. What's that going to be like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xfKqxdv3Gk
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2593 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  13:49:10  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Getting down to a bit of Art Brut again recently. Long overdue for a new album, not sure what's happening there. There's a new line up, but in the interim Eddie Argos has been painting album covers on request for a modest fee and was in a band called The Donalds.

Last two albums were great, and both were produced by Mr Frank Black in JC Studios so you can still hear a heavy influence there in Eddie's vocals.

I've got a whisky flask signed by them and I met again Eddie a few fringes ago in an indie nightclub, I was a little drunk and overbearing that night and I had to apologise to him the next day via facebook messenger (mostly for my terrible impression of Jarvis Cocker)
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2018 :  08:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every now and again I circle back pretty hard to Primus.

Got to see them way back in 90 or 91, and became a fan right away.

They can be tedious at times, but some of the stuff is terrific.

Fish on
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2018 :  10:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kate Bush, Moving
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  03:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter, Paul, and Mary do a beautiful cover of "The Times They Are A-Changing"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2018 :  00:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The whole Quasi Mother soundtrack is tight
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2593 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2018 :  13:13:25  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Scandinavia is always at the cutting edge of electro-pop music

Inka Upenda and her nimble fingers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PItyWnuW7Bo
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

713 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  11:33:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been playing a bit of John Cale lately. Paris 1919 is great.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2018 :  05:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did Monkey the other night at Karaoke.

The whole place sang along on the chorus.

The only other Frank options were HCYM and WIMM.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2593 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2018 :  08:31:18  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've done Monkey on the Karaoke, one of the few times I decided to get drunk and make an arse of myself through the medium of singing. It was the only choice.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2018 :  11:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Monkey is great for karaoke because the stanzas are basically spoken word, so at first everybody is like Wha?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2593 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2018 :  22:36:01  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aye you can get away with not being able to sing quite well on that one.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
731 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2018 :  07:21:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wipers - Over The Edge
The Bats - The Deep Set
Gentle Hen - Sneaking up on the Moon
Rocket from the Tombs - Rocket Redux
R Stevie Moore - Warning
Peter Case - HWY 62
Mark Mulcahy - The Possum in the Driveway
Jonny Polonsky - Fresh Flesh
Mission of Burma - Signals, Calls and Marches

Have been listening to these albums regularly these last few months. My Pixies / FB listening has waned recently with the exception of The Golem.



Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2018 :  09:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ty Segall
the Kinks Preservation Acts 1 and 2, Muswell Hillbillies, and Village Green Preservation Society. Recently rediscovered one of my favorite bands from childhood and it has been a great ride.
Jo Passed
Azelia Banks, she is crazy and all, but I like her stuff.
Janelle Monae
ELO, another "re-find". A New World Record is solid

Lots of great old music to rediscover and new music to just plain discover.


________________
“make…some…room”
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
731 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2018 :  11:16:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonruler

Ty Segall
the Kinks Preservation Acts 1 and 2, Muswell Hillbillies, and Village Green Preservation Society. Recently rediscovered one of my favorite bands from childhood and it has been a great ride.
Jo Passed
Azelia Banks, she is crazy and all, but I like her stuff.
Janelle Monae
ELO, another "re-find". A New World Record is solid

Lots of great old music to rediscover and new music to just plain discover.


________________
“make…some…room”




Ha! Been listening to the Kinks like crazy recently.

Their classic albums are amazing but I equally enjoy their 80s jaunt into American rock.

This Time Tomorrow would have been an amazing song for the Catholics to cover.

I see a lot of similarities between FB and Ray Davies - not only covering several songs but in terms of songwriting and humour.

Edit: Listening to This Time Tomorrow and had a sudden desire to put on Elijah from FMRM - it certainly sounds inspired by This Time Tomorrow, the riffs are very similar.

Edited by - Stevio10 on 08/28/2018 23:41:27
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2018 :  03:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

quote:
Originally posted by moonruler

Ty Segall
the Kinks Preservation Acts 1 and 2, Muswell Hillbillies, and Village Green Preservation Society. Recently rediscovered one of my favorite bands from childhood and it has been a great ride.
Jo Passed
Azelia Banks, she is crazy and all, but I like her stuff.
Janelle Monae
ELO, another "re-find". A New World Record is solid

Lots of great old music to rediscover and new music to just plain discover.


________________
“make…some…room”




Ha! Been listening to the Kinks like crazy recently.

Their classic albums are amazing but I equally enjoy their 80s jaunt into American rock.

This Time Tomorrow would have been an amazing song for the Catholics to cover.

I see a lot of similarities between FB and Ray Davies - not only covering several songs but in terms of songwriting and humour.

Edit: Listening to This Time Tomorrow and had a sudden desire to put on Elijah from FMRM - it certainly sounds inspired by This Time Tomorrow, the riffs are very similar.



I cut my teeth on late 70's Kinks! 2nd album I ever purchased was One for the Road, and I had Low Budget, Misfits, and a couple of their later albums.

Ray Davies is great and there are definitely similarities between he and FB. They are both excellent story tellers. FB is definitely more abstract in the way he writes his lyrics.

What has been great is I am checking out stuff I never really listened to in my younger days. Really want to re-add Misfits and Low Budget to my collection, though.

________________
“make…some…room”
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

713 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2018 :  12:22:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big Kinks fan as well but I've mostly stayed away from their mid and late-70s' work. Frank has covered This Time Tomorrow - hopefully some day it'll be unearthed!
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
731 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  09:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Big Kinks fan as well but I've mostly stayed away from their mid and late-70s' work. Frank has covered This Time Tomorrow - hopefully some day it'll be unearthed!



Ah really?! That's pretty cool / coincidence! Do you know what era Frank did the cover?

I've been enjoying Misfits and Give the People What they Want recently. Sounds like a totally different band to their earlier stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2018 :  09:25:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just heard "Free Me" by Foo Fighters on the office radio.

First Foo Fighters song I've ever heard.

Not bad
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2593 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2018 :  09:31:38  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
^how is that even possible? lol

I've never been that much of a Foo Fighters or even Nirvana fan, but I did enjoy watching their Glastonbury set a few years ago.

Them Crooked Vultures is the best thing Dave Grohl has been involved with IMO

Edited by - pot on 09/07/2018 09:33:33
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2018 :  10:32:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

^how is that even possible? lol

I've never been that much of a Foo Fighters or even Nirvana fan, but I did enjoy watching their Glastonbury set a few years ago.

Them Crooked Vultures is the best thing Dave Grohl has been involved with IMO



haha, I mean, I'm sure that I've heard some FF over the years and just didn't know it was them. But this was the first time I was consciously listening. Not a bad tune. Might check out more. Or might just listen to Pistolero for the 11,111th time.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2593 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2018 :  11:11:57  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

haha, I mean, I'm sure that I've heard some FF over the years and just didn't know it was them. But this was the first time I was consciously listening. Not a bad tune. Might check out more. Or might just listen to Pistolero for the 11,111th time.



I guess you will have. Most of their music is IMO fairly accessible and generic and very forgettable. I just don't like the production on their music, all their songs just sound the same. It's just feel good rock from the school of Bob Rock.

I'm sure I heard an Ed Sheeran song that I liked once, at the end of a Sons of Anarchy episode but I'm too scared to find out what it's called and relisten to it in case I really did like it and it didn't just happen to strike a chord with the adrenalin of the show at that particular time.

If you're looking for something new to listen to that's perhaps more intelligent indie punk rock then the new Sauna Youth album is rather good and it's out today! Deaths. Got some nice weird talky experimental ones on there as well.

Here's an old favourite of mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgdAoAdwwBI


Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

713 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  04:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Big Kinks fan as well but I've mostly stayed away from their mid and late-70s' work. Frank has covered This Time Tomorrow - hopefully some day it'll be unearthed!



Ah really?! That's pretty cool / coincidence! Do you know what era Frank did the cover?

I've been enjoying Misfits and Give the People What they Want recently. Sounds like a totally different band to their earlier stuff.



I'm trying to find out where I discovered that information but a Google search is only bringing up another post I made about it a few years ago. Might have been recorded with This Is Where I Belong years ago? Or I might be imagining that.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
731 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2018 :  04:02:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Better Things is a great cover too.

Finally got round to listening to The Wipers, or just Wipers. Been meaning to give them a listen for a while, they are very good, some classic albums there.

The other band Kurt Cobain loved, you can tell their influence on Nirvana straight off but there's a lot more to their music and lyrics than mere grunge influencers.

They remind me a bit of the Gun Club where they start off quick and fast but evolve into bluesy dark accomplished musicians.






Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2018 :  11:32:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm delving into Thee Oh Sees/Oh Sees or whatever they're calling themselves this week. Unaware of them until fairly recently but I'm enjoying what I've heard so far.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2593 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2018 :  02:29:54  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice cover of my favourite Eurythmics song - Love Is A Stranger - By Cold Beat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxnxqqKC8Yk
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2593 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2018 :  07:41:27  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alison Crutchfield, twin sister of Katie Crutchfield aka Waxahatchee has a new band (Swearin') and album and they're really great too. Just like with Deal sisters we get multiple bands created from only one womb.

https://www.facebook.com/swearinband/videos/345770726169040/
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2018 :  18:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little off topic but I want to talk about an awesome book I got about the history of alternative music. The book is Sound and Vision by John Riordan, who is a comic book writer by trade. The book profiles 100 musical artists/bands from the 1970s to today (well, mid-2016, when the book was published) and for each musician, there's a cartoon-style portrait, an introduction to their work, and a recommendation for an album to start getting into their music. Most musicians get one page, and those Riordan deems most important get two- one full-page illustration, one full page of writing about them.

The entry about Pixies is two pages- the writing is your standard new-listener guide (with a clear personal bias towards Trompe le Monde) but the illustration is amazing. It's got the band rocking out in the desert, full of cute little references to their lyrics and history. Like, David Lovering has a magician's booth that says 'Vanishing Lady' on it with Kim Deal inside, and Black Francis has ants pouring out of a hole in his hand and he's wearing a badge that says 'LOU REED'. It looks like a ton of effort was put into the illustration, I love it.

Pixies aside, Riordan's illustrations are fantastic and full of character and his writing is very astute. I also like how he focuses on all different genres of music and treats them all with equal importance. You get the sense that he's truly a music lover who wants to share his enjoyment with his readers. If you're looking for a book that you can look through to find interesting music and gorgeous artwork, check it out!

Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
731 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2018 :  12:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster

A little off topic but I want to talk about an awesome book I got about the history of alternative music. The book is Sound and Vision by John Riordan, who is a comic book writer by trade. The book profiles 100 musical artists/bands from the 1970s to today (well, mid-2016, when the book was published) and for each musician, there's a cartoon-style portrait, an introduction to their work, and a recommendation for an album to start getting into their music. Most musicians get one page, and those Riordan deems most important get two- one full-page illustration, one full page of writing about them.

The entry about Pixies is two pages- the writing is your standard new-listener guide (with a clear personal bias towards Trompe le Monde) but the illustration is amazing. It's got the band rocking out in the desert, full of cute little references to their lyrics and history. Like, David Lovering has a magician's booth that says 'Vanishing Lady' on it with Kim Deal inside, and Black Francis has ants pouring out of a hole in his hand and he's wearing a badge that says 'LOU REED'. It looks like a ton of effort was put into the illustration, I love it.

Pixies aside, Riordan's illustrations are fantastic and full of character and his writing is very astute. I also like how he focuses on all different genres of music and treats them all with equal importance. You get the sense that he's truly a music lover who wants to share his enjoyment with his readers. If you're looking for a book that you can look through to find interesting music and gorgeous artwork, check it out!

Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.



Thanks for the tip! Saw some of the images at the website below;

http://www.johnriordan.co.uk/Sound-and-Vision-2

Just out of curiosity, what do you think the ants are in reference to? I'm kinda thinking the hole in the hand is biblical (repent!) - you can't crucify yourself, that takes two - and possibly the ants are a reference to Ray Bradbury? I do like Riordan's artwork and thanks for sharing!
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2018 :  16:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Thanks for the tip! Saw some of the images at the website below;

http://www.johnriordan.co.uk/Sound-and-Vision-2

Just out of curiosity, what do you think the ants are in reference to? I'm kinda thinking the hole in the hand is biblical (repent!) - you can't crucify yourself, that takes two - and possibly the ants are a reference to Ray Bradbury? I do like Riordan's artwork and thanks for sharing!



The image of a hand with ants coming out of it is actually from Un Chien Andalou, which was of course the inspiration for Debaser! Within the movie, the hand covered in ants seems to represent a psychosexual Freudian fear of masturbation (and the crucifixion reference you pointed out could totally be at play here, too). That calls to mind the Holiday Song- "here I am, with my hand"- as well as any number of other Pixies lyrics. Presumably Riordan wanted to reference Debaser in such a way that would also link the illustration to the psychosexual themes found in many Pixies songs. It also looks really cool.

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
731 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2018 :  20:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster

quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Thanks for the tip! Saw some of the images at the website below;

http://www.johnriordan.co.uk/Sound-and-Vision-2

Just out of curiosity, what do you think the ants are in reference to? I'm kinda thinking the hole in the hand is biblical (repent!) - you can't crucify yourself, that takes two - and possibly the ants are a reference to Ray Bradbury? I do like Riordan's artwork and thanks for sharing!



The image of a hand with ants coming out of it is actually from Un Chien Andalou, which was of course the inspiration for Debaser! Within the movie, the hand covered in ants seems to represent a psychosexual Freudian fear of masturbation (and the crucifixion reference you pointed out could totally be at play here, too). That calls to mind the Holiday Song- "here I am, with my hand"- as well as any number of other Pixies lyrics. Presumably Riordan wanted to reference Debaser in such a way that would also link the illustration to the psychosexual themes found in many Pixies songs. It also looks really cool.

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.



Awesome, thanks for that! I've always meant to watch Un Chien Andalou but never got round to it. Same with The Golem - they're on my to watch list, maybe someday I'll get round to it. That's a good reference and a lot of effort put into it, usually the most obvious Pixies / Un Chien Andalou reference is the slicing eyeball scene so it's nice to have a less obvious depiction. Do you watch a lot of surrealist movies?
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  16:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster

quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Thanks for the tip! Saw some of the images at the website below;

http://www.johnriordan.co.uk/Sound-and-Vision-2

Just out of curiosity, what do you think the ants are in reference to? I'm kinda thinking the hole in the hand is biblical (repent!) - you can't crucify yourself, that takes two - and possibly the ants are a reference to Ray Bradbury? I do like Riordan's artwork and thanks for sharing!



The image of a hand with ants coming out of it is actually from Un Chien Andalou, which was of course the inspiration for Debaser! Within the movie, the hand covered in ants seems to represent a psychosexual Freudian fear of masturbation (and the crucifixion reference you pointed out could totally be at play here, too). That calls to mind the Holiday Song- "here I am, with my hand"- as well as any number of other Pixies lyrics. Presumably Riordan wanted to reference Debaser in such a way that would also link the illustration to the psychosexual themes found in many Pixies songs. It also looks really cool.

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.



Awesome, thanks for that! I've always meant to watch Un Chien Andalou but never got round to it. Same with The Golem - they're on my to watch list, maybe someday I'll get round to it. That's a good reference and a lot of effort put into it, usually the most obvious Pixies / Un Chien Andalou reference is the slicing eyeball scene so it's nice to have a less obvious depiction. Do you watch a lot of surrealist movies?




I'm actually not extremely knowledgeable about surrealist movies- classic sci-fi is more my speed- but I've seen Un Chien Andalou, it's a great watch! I haven't seen The Golem but I've been wanting to. And yeah, having a subtler reference than the eyeballs is nice, it really makes the illustration seem like it was well planned-out.

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2018 :  11:30:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“Frank Black” by Hagfish came on today.

Fun song
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2016 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000