New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  12:35:43  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://expmag.com/2019/07/the-experience-questionnaire-joey-santiago/ Joey Q & A.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  03:45:55  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://recordcollectormag.com/articles/pixies Charles interview,enjoy!

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  06:19:04  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

https://recordcollectormag.com/articles/pixies Charles interview,enjoy!

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Probably the best interview I ever read (about BTE)

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  10:02:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great read
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  10:18:59  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Especially the part of Joey's western sound, which he calls Surf for adults.
Or the flash backs of Show Me Your Tears. What a nice way of writing about a record of another band.
It's all connected.

It's heartbreaking (and none of my business) that Frank is going through a divorce again.

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2019 :  04:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Especially the part of Joey's western sound, which he calls Surf for adults.
Or the flash backs of Show Me Your Tears. What a nice way of writing about a record of another band.
It's all connected.

It's heartbreaking (and none of my business) that Frank is going through a divorce again.

Yeah, it's a really good read! Very excited to hear the full record.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2019 :  15:28:43  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://issuu.com/redbulletin.com/docs/0919_mx_lowres PXS

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2019 :  13:10:34  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://guitar.com/features/interviews/pixies-black-francis-beneath-the-eyrie/ Another Black Interview,enjoy amigos!

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2019 :  02:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was a great read. Lots of good stuff in there.

Interviewer supposes that the recent 30th anniversary tour of SR has rubbed off on the sound of BTE. We shall see.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2019 :  11:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hadn't seen that Glastonbury clip before - fun to see BF not give in to the masses of the crowd and perform the song verbatim.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2019 :  10:59:35  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/black-francis-pixies Another BLACK one!

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2019 :  12:19:38  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nice read and a link at the bottom to another one of those from years before
Velouria by Weezer is his favorite cover!
Mine too!

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2019 :  13:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big shout for Snakes in there. He obviously considers it a top 10 Pixies song. Just like me...
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2019 :  09:08:01  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have been listening to it twice today
Love Joey and David on this one

Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2019 :  02:27:06  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://northerntransmissions.com/pixies-not-moving-on-moving-forward/ Mr.Lovering words.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2019 :  11:31:28  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/2019/08/27/black-francis-of-the-pixies-on-the-cures-daydream-festival-a-new-album-and-podcast-and-how-songs-are-like-sandwiches/ More BLACKness here.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2019 :  03:32:54  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.pasadenaweekly.com/2019/08/29/pixies-guitarist-joey-santiago-prepares-to-perform-three-decades-of-alt-rock-hits-saturday-at-pasadena-daydream-festival/ Rock us Joe!!!

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2019 :  11:27:36  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/the-cure-thrills-fans-including-lady-gaga-with-hitspacked-pasadena-daydream-set-best-day-of-the-summer-083603570.html Pasadena review and Joey's words.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2019 :  09:10:10  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://wsoe.org/pixies-frontman-black-francis-on-appreciating-kafka-streaming-stravinsky-and-his-favorite-travel-spot/ Black!!!

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2019 :  10:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Live stream happening on the 6th.

https://www.iheart.com/content/2019-09-03-pixies-to-preview-beneath-the-eyrie-during-exclusive-live-performance/
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  12:01:53  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/what-s-on/pixies-in-all-of-our-minds-we-think-we-re-a-viable-band-and-all-we-want-to-do-is-record-and-play-shows-1-9973693 Mr.Lovering interview.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2019 :  02:57:04  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://taynews.com/2019/09/07/pixies-theres-enough-bombast-on-twitter-without-trump-adding-to-it/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2019 :  03:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I don’t really get bringing up Trump to Black either. Trump le Monde?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2019 :  03:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But let me add that that was one of the best FBF interviews I’ve read. Lots of interesting stuff.
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2019 :  18:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I’ll stay right here, I’ll go down with the ship.”

Now in the context of this conversation, although it appears funny, this is the darkest statement ever. This transcends pretty much everything. Black Francis, the revelator. Coming with a guitar with his tooth built in. Sends shivers down the spine, but not the good ones.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band

Edited by - two reelers on 09/07/2019 18:56:02
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2019 :  01:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was an excellent interview. And interesting to hear his thoughts on the environmental situation, which most people in the world seem to be ignoring.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2019 :  01:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's Charles in slightly more prickly mood putting up (pretty well) with some stupid questions:

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/you-could-make-the-argument-that-artists-were-overpaid-for-a-long-time-pixies-frontman-black-francis-38471709.html

He is a man of many names; Black Francis when fronting alt-rock heroes Pixies; Frank Black when releasing solo material - something he hasn't done in years; and Charles Thompson, his given name, and the one he uses in his day-to-day life and when taking phone calls from journalists.
Thompson may have a forthcoming Pixies album to talk about but he doesn't seem keen to kick into promotional mode. It's a stance that shouldn't come as a surprise when one considers the uncompromising nature of Pixies' very best music, but it's still disconcerting to have questions answered briskly, without elaboration and - truth be told - a tad charmlessly. Maybe he's not a morning person.

The new album - Pixies' seventh - is called Beneath the Eyrie. The name was inspired by the old church in Woodstock, New York, where it was recorded.
"There was an eagle's nest outside," Thompson says. "David [Lovering] the drummer noticed it. The producer suggested the title. I thought it was a stupid title. Then, he brought it up a month later and I thought it wasn't so stupid, so I just went ahead with it."

It's the first time a Pixies album has not borrowed a song name or lyric in its title. "It was feeling restrictive to just follow the old rule."
Beneath the Eyrie is the second album the band have released since the departure of bassist Kim Deal - she left to focus on The Breeders, the group she founded with her twin sister, Kelley in the early 1990s. The album features the same personnel that made the spirited 2016 record, Head Carrier.
"We didn't book as much studio time as before," he points out, "because we knew we would work together well having done it before."

The 54-year-old Bostonian is an old hand at the art of songwriting, having released a fabled 18-track demo cassette, The Purple Tape, in 1987. It led to an album deal with the revered English label, 4AD. And yet, he says, it remains as difficult as ever to write something special.
"It's not easier now to just arrive at a good song," he says. "The goal is to come up with a good song, but sometimes you don't know [if that has been achieved that] when it's finished. Sometimes it's obvious, many times not. There's an ambiguity to it.

"I'm not better at spotting the difference [between what's good or not]," he adds. "Maybe it's easier to write a song now than it was, but it's no easier to write a good song."

He brought 30-odd songs and fragmentary compositions to the recording session and they were whittled down to the 12 that appear on the album. "Songs never feel like they're in my brain. Once an idea has been executed on an instrument, it's out of your head and in the room."

How does he begin a new song? He seems bored by the question. "You write on the guitar or sometimes on keyboard. I can write on anything. You do things sort of the same. There are always exceptions to the rule. I could write a song on a kazoo, but it's not going to feel dramatic, because the concept is still the same.

"The concept is still guitar, bass and drums with a vocal - that's the formula we're working with."
It may be the most basic format in rock, but Pixies mastered it. They have influenced everyone from Nirvana to Radiohead and The Frames, although Thompson has little interest talking about any of those bands.

He's more interested in discussing Tom Dalgety, the producer who helmed their latest album and its predecessor. "He's smart, he's younger than us, he's a good time manager, he's a nice guy, he's a man of few words. He has a lot of vision and he doesn't sit around talking about it. He probably knows that it's a waste of his time and a waste of the process."

Last year, Pixies played a residency at London's Roundhouse in support of their debut album, Surfer Rosa. The reviews were largely ecstatic. Thompson took it all in his stride. "It was interesting," he says, "because it was so formatted - so scripted, if you will. It didn't feel so different because we play so many songs from that album anyway. I can't say that it was a stroll down memory lane or something like that."

This year marks the 30th anniversary of Pixies' magnum opus, Doolittle, but Thompson has no plans on this occasion to perform the album in its entirety live. Might the band play more tracks from it on their forthcoming European tour, which includes an Olympia, Dublin date? Thompson doesn't hesitate. "No."
Did he realise they had made something special when they first went to the studio? "For which album?" Doolittle. "Joey [Santiago, the guitarisr] and I knew we had something special when we made the demos. You make some demos, you work hard on them, you have a cassette of them. Then you sit around the floor of your apartment and you play it back and it's like 'Woah!, that's good - it sounds like music'."

Thompson has been in prolific form since rekindling Pixies at the early part of this decade. 2014's Indie Cindy marked their first album in 23 years - and the last with Deal. He says he would release more music if the industry was structured in such a way that would allow new material any time he wished.
"The pace has been set by the market," he says, "otherwise, I'd be putting out a record a year or more."
Unlike other artists, he is not bothered by the pitiful royalties paid by the streaming giants. "Streaming is very convenient," he says. But not for the artist surely? "Yeah, whatever - it's show business, man. What am I going to do about that?
"Artists are making more money at the concerts. The artists complaining about the royalty rates on streaming don't tend to mention that there's a lot more demand for them to play in concert and people are willing to pay a lot more money for that experience than they are for the streaming experience.
"You could make the argument that artists were overpaid for a long time - I'm not making that argument, but I am saying that maybe people were overcharged when it came to buying albums."

The band, with former Zwan and Queens of the Stone Age bassist Paz Lenchantin replacing Deal, remain a formidable live proposition and Thompson says he's looking forward to taking the new songs on the road in Europe.
"Touring has not changed much and that's good," he says. "The tech aspects are obviously better and the venues have improved, but that feeling of walking on stage and looking out at a crowd has not changed one bit."
He's happy to be playing the Olympia. "A wonderful building and a wonderful neighbourhood." Having played big outdoor shows here in support of the likes of Red Hot Chilli Peppers (in front of more than 100,000 people at the Phoenix Park) and Arcade Fire at Marlay Park, Pixies aficionados will be pleased to see Thompson and friends kick up a racket at a more intimate environment.
"It's good to see the whites of their eyes," he says. "It's easier to make that connection."
'Beneath the Eyrie' is released on September 13. Pixies play the Olympia, Dublin on September 26
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2019 :  04:33:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

"I’ll stay right here, I’ll go down with the ship.”

Now in the context of this conversation, although it appears funny, this is the darkest statement ever. This transcends pretty much everything. Black Francis, the revelator. Coming with a guitar with his tooth built in. Sends shivers down the spine, but not the good ones.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band

Everything is gonna burn
We'll all take turns, I'll get mine too
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2019 :  05:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I smell smoke that comes from a gun
Named extinction

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2019 :  05:57:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As the universe explodes
And the world goes straight to hell
And some people try to split our love in two
I'll go down on you

Oh wait...
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2019 :  07:08:15  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

As the universe explodes
And the world goes straight to hell
And some people try to split our love in two
I'll go down on you

Oh wait...

Haha

Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2019 :  11:36:47  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/pixies-band-interview-2019-beneath-the-eyrie Blackie Interview.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2019 :  16:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/pixies-band-interview-2019-beneath-the-eyrie Blackie Interview.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Good read with some new insight into BF, thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2019 :  01:45:06  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.buzzmag.co.uk/joey-santiago-pixies-interview/ Rock us Joey!

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  00:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://floodmagazine.com/67968/poolside-with-pixies/

Not sure if this one was posted yet
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic