Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  08:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes the songs I like immediately and with such fervor end up wearing out their welcome too quickly; I'm hoping that's not the case with Talent. While he's written many a great fast song, something about this one feels new, perhaps just the way he keeps saying "talent" coupled with the chord progression. Whatever it is, I really love this one.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  01:11:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a fan of Talent. But it has more to do with the theme/lyrics than the music itself. Pong, Thalassocracy or Allison had pretty wild lyrics & ultimate catchphrases. Talent lyrics are kind of meh. Too common, maybe ? Less surreal. But the music itself is good.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2017 :  05:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I enjoy Frank's lyrics it's the music that interests me the most and in this case, Talent has an infectious energy that makes me smile. Switching gears, I don't feel one way or the other about Paz.

There are some live clips where she sounds out of tune but she's all right on the album. I'm not blown away by her voice or anything, if they'd gone with a male bass player I wouldn't have cared at this point. But she does a good job and most likely has brought a fresh energy to the band that's necessary for new music going forward.

It's too bad that her big vocal turn is on a terrible song. It's bad enough the opening is some twisted version of Where is my mind, but the oooh-ohhhs are too much. The chords through the verses are fine but the higher pitched riff marred the whole thing. It's the Pixies at their most generic and dull, as if a big fan of the band tried writing something while heavily influenced and turned this out.

Perhaps the other parts of the song could be enjoyable on their own or as part of a new song but not with that riff and the oooh-oooh's bringing it down. Shit, the ending of the song is close to how they finish Where is My Mind in concert.

Too bad that the sentiment, of a nostalgic and seemingly sweet look back specifically at Kim is such an awful song.

Edited by - Arm Arm Arm on 02/23/2017 05:39:24
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  22:02:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still very enjoyable and an easy listen. Still think the energy of Um Chagga Lagga is my favorite piece of the album. Would like more of this tempo. BF just went too simplistic in terms of lyrics and song structure on many songs. Might As Well Gone and Bel Espirit are mediocre and too straightforward. Oona, Masher, Saints and Plaster are wonderful songs that I don't tire of. HC, Baals, Talent, Tenement are hit and miss. Sometimes I really get into them and others I don't pay much attention. Overall, a strong step forward after IC. Excited to see what's next but also kinda resigning myself to the fact we probably won't get the weird BF I desire. But hey, I'm happy they are still making quality music of course.
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2017 :  15:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I seem to be the only "thumbs down" for the most part compared to basically EVERYTHING FB's done in the past, (excepy maybe "Indie Cindy") him/them being older and all that notwithstanding.
And, I actually LOVE Paz........excellent musical chops. Can't believe NOBODY doesn't have a prob with the songs. Oh well. Can't wait for this Weds, Thurs, Fri, though in NYC !
BTW, new Brooklyn Bowl is heavenly in every way. Peace out.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2017 :  23:55:36  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's a good album.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  01:41:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simibaby

Sorry I seem to be the only "thumbs down" for the most part compared to basically EVERYTHING FB's done in the past, (excepy maybe "Indie Cindy") him/them being older and all that notwithstanding.
And, I actually LOVE Paz........excellent musical chops. Can't believe NOBODY doesn't have a prob with the songs. Oh well. Can't wait for this Weds, Thurs, Fri, though in NYC !
BTW, new Brooklyn Bowl is heavenly in every way. Peace out.

Maybe I'll see you there!

And actually, to contradict myself on what I said on the thread re: thoughts / impressions on HC months later: I'm actually looking forward to hearing the 2.0 songs, just to see the man doing some things I haven't seen him do before.
Go to Top of Page

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  01:46:06  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I enjoy Head Carrier. For me it's a long way above Indie Cindy, about on a par with NSE but not as good as Bluefinger. Makes far more sense comparing to later FB stuff to me.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  22:01:10  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Listening today and this record is so so so so great

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2021 :  17:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This album deserves to be remastered. The songwriting is on point and so many details are sullied by the production. How do you make an album sound simultaneously muddy and harsh?!?
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2021 :  21:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Pixies deserve to work with another producer (and another manager).
We deserve it as well.
#IwantmyFrankBlackback

quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

This album deserves to be remastered. The songwriting is on point and so many details are sullied by the production. How do you make an album sound simultaneously muddy and harsh?!?

++++
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2021 :  20:53:38  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

I've never thought the production was the problem with this album, but I'm intrigued. Do you have specific examples? To me the album is just a bit bland...maybe that is cause of the production...I'm not sure. I don't think it's the best songwriting (except a few I really like) and I'm not sure what could have saved it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000