Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

danjersey
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2426 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  21:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ancient Aliens

A show that has jumped the shark. But is the shark a shark at all, or is it really an extra terrestrial gate keeper as some ancient astronaut theorists contend?

Ice cream, a delicious treat enjoyed by many. But is ice cream simply frozen milk fat or an advanced sunscreen as some ancient astronaut theorists suggest?

Rick's garden salad, August 5th, 2012. A cherry tomatoe tells Rick that he is not the happily married man and father of four that he thinks he is but rather a dung beetle, as some ancient astronaut theorists believe, who is unable to feed his family and who's home will soon be in foreclosure.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
631 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  02:00:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danjersey

Ancient Aliens

A show that has jumped the shark. But is the shark a shark at all, or is it really an extra terrestrial gate keeper as some ancient astronaut theorists contend?

Ice cream, a delicious treat enjoyed by many. But is ice cream simply frozen milk fat or an advanced sunscreen as some ancient astronaut theorists suggest?

Rick's garden salad, August 5th, 2012. A cherry tomatoe tells Rick that he is not the happily married man and father of four that he thinks he is but rather a dung beetle, as some ancient astronaut theorists believe, who is unable to feed his family and who's home will soon be in foreclosure.

Priceless!!! How have they managed to make 6 seasons of this?! My favourite episode title has to be "Aliens and Bigfoot"!!!

Ancient Alien theorists believe Bigfoot from Harry and the Hendersons was in fact not a man in costume playing the role of Bigfoot, but an extraterristrial actor playing the role of Sasquatch.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2426 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  12:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They took an interesting concept that no one seemed all that bothered by as far as trying to disprove and blew it up all on their own. They went from being worth hearing out to totally laughable. We still don't know how those big ass rocks in Lebanon got there but come on with this shit.

Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
631 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2014 :  21:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tisasawath

quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

A few great shows ive watched recently; Romanzo Criminale - based on true story of a Roman criminal gang in 70's and 80's. Beautifully filmed, great characters, locations and a fantastic soundtrack. Everything from Devo's 'Gut Feeling' to Bonnie Tyler's 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' played out to violent scenes, genius.

i liked how far and into detail they went to totally recreate the 70's Italy.
but i couldn't help but measure it to the classic mafia tv series created in the 80's - La Piovra - in which the director of Romanzo Criminale had the starring role as inspector Cattani. no romanticising, no wanton violence, but when there was it was brutally real and tragic, a very straight depiction of what organised crime does to a community. at least the first few seasons. plus Morricone made some memorable music for it.

Sorry just saw your post, I hadn't heard of this but I will definitely check it out, thank you for the tip.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
631 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2016 :  11:53:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ash Vs Evil Dead. I was scared it would suck but the 1st episode is classic Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi. The rest of the season holds up. Now for Brisco County Jr._
Go to Top of Page

Srisaket
= Cult of Ray =

Thailand
292 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2017 :  18:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I've learnt from watching 'Forensic Files' is don't be a female or have someone take life insurance out in your name.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2426 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2017 :  20:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big Little Lies.
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
442 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  10:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't watch it at the time but recently binged on UK conspiracy thriller/sci-fi thing Utopia. Highly recommended - apparently David Fincher was due to remake it for HBO but it fell through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcx-nf3kH_M

Also late to the party with The Leftovers, which I caught up with recently and absolutely love. Can't wait for the final season, not sure when that'll air in the UK though.

Edited by - OLDMANOTY on 04/08/2017 10:44:00
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
= Cult of Ray =

998 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  10:44:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OLDMANOTY

I didn't watch it at the time but recently binged on UK thriller/sci-fi thing Utopia. Highly recommended - apparently David Fincher was due to remake it for HBO but it fell through.

Also late to the party with The Leftovers, which I caught up with recently and absolutely love. Can't wait for the final season, not sure when that'll air in the UK.

Did you finish Utopia? You'd be the first person I "know" who has seen it.

I read the book The Leftovers and that was enough. Well written but exactly what I thought it would be, kind of a vague, depressing tale.
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
442 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  10:59:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

quote:
Originally posted by OLDMANOTY

I didn't watch it at the time but recently binged on UK thriller/sci-fi thing Utopia. Highly recommended - apparently David Fincher was due to remake it for HBO but it fell through.

Also late to the party with The Leftovers, which I caught up with recently and absolutely love. Can't wait for the final season, not sure when that'll air in the UK.

Did you finish Utopia? You'd be the first person I "know" who has seen it.

I read the book The Leftovers and that was enough. Well written but exactly what I thought it would be, kind of a vague, depressing tale.

I did finish Utopia - both series are brilliant, original TV imo, surprised it's not more well known & sad it was dropped.

Not read The Leftovers novel so can't really comment, except to say that the TV version is certainly a bit bleak but gripping nonetheless.

Another book I need to get around to reading after being blown away by the film version - Under The Skin. That's probably quite depressing too I imagine!

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
= Cult of Ray =

287 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  10:59:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoyed both seasons of Fargo, season three coming soon.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
= Cult of Ray =

998 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  14:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SPOILERS FOR UTOPIA

It's been a while since I've seen it, character names are pretty much forgotten and my take on this will be jumping back and forth between the two seasons.

About halfway into the first season, I learned the show had been canceled but kept going anyway. I suppose one could view the end of the 2nd season as a gloomy end overall, with what's-his-face eyepatch guy getting the tattoo and carrying on. But the truth is, the show was canceled and who knows what would've happened. That both seasons end with the defeat of the conspiracy, only to have it return suddenly as a cliffhanger into a new season leads me to think the planned ending was something more optimistic. But who knows?

It's a strange show. I really thought there'd be more to the comic book but once you hit a certain point that's gone. Heck, once you hit a certain point the show rockets forward into all kinds of nuttiness. I was at least glad to see Creepy Skinny killer guy get killed.

What's perhaps most disturbing is the villains' ideology. Wouldn't a better plan be some way of finding a way to circumvent the depletion of resources and eliminate the potential catastrophe rather than this germ warfare depopulation idea? Of course, I think most of those took sadistic pleasure in what they were doing, the ideology just an excuse to let loose their sociopathic (or is that psychopathic) behaviors. Look at the old guy who was trying to get the info from that boy...he took glee in what he was doing. The politician tied to the chair seemed to dislike what he was doing but thought it necessary. Both are fucked in the head regardless.

Nice acting, the main character tough girl was both a bit strange looking and sexy in her own way. The schoolyard shooting was rough to watch. Interesting how they made RB a sympathetic character (to a degree).

One of the catchiest themes songs I've ever heard.

cheers

Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
442 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  06:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^Agree with most of that although I'm still processing it all really. Utopia wasn't perfect - some of it didn't quite work, it was sometimes not as clever as it thought it was and the violence seemed almost gleefully gratuitous at times. Still, one of the most massively entertaining & thought provoking shows I've ever seen.

"Where is Jessica Hyde?" - I think that line will haunt me for the rest of my days! The actress who played her was pretty bad imo, her performance didn't ring true to me at all, just an annoying bag of cliches. She slightly spoilt season 2 for me, every time she was on screen she took me out of it a little bit. Rest of the cast were brilliant, though - especially Neil Maskell.

Edited by - OLDMANOTY on 04/09/2017 06:36:10
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
= Cult of Ray =

998 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  08:33:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked her acting, I thought she did a good job of capturing a manic yet spacey personality someone would have after what she'd been through. Jessica Hyde, that's right. Who was Neil Maskell? I liked the guy with the family, just a typical middle of the road person with a solid moral backbone who struggles to do the right thing in the face of evil.

Sometimes I'll go on youtube and listen to the theme song.

Not perfect, definitely, and I kinda wish it had just been a one in done series. I do like the british approach of smaller seasons, less filler all story and less time needed to watch.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
= Cult of Ray =

287 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  05:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just finished Better Call Saul season 2. What an ending!
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2950 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2017 :  07:16:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Girls was great. Now looking forward to season three of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2016 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000