Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  12:40:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Interesting fact: as far as I know, Trompe is the only Pixies album wih drop-D tuned songs (at least 4 as far as I know). Very Metal.

I'll always wonder why they dumped half of Trompe songs on their setlists since the reunion.

Besides the fact that it seems most or all of them do not have particularly fond memories of the actual process of writing and making that record (which can weigh much more heavily than their knowledge of some fans' love for the finished product), you may have answered your own question.

The drop-D tuned songs often necessitate keeping extra guitars around in that tuning just waiting to be swapped out onstage.

They may simply view the combination of bad memories of (and/or lack of a personal connection to) those tunes and the hassle of using an alternate tuning as too much hassle for too little enjoyment on their own part.

Peter (or anybody)

Besides Subbacultcha are any of the songs on Trompe older pieces that made it on to this album?

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  12:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about the formatting of my question to you Peter. Still trying to figure out how this works
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  18:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BF once said the U-Mass "stupid" chord progression was created when he & Joey were roommates at... Umass.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  23:58:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Letter to Memphis and Palace of the Brine are both drop-D tuning and capoed on the first fret.

Judging from bootlegs, they didn't bother capoing for the live performances, and played them in a lower key as a result.

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  00:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not always. Sometimes they used guitars tuned a semi-step up so the songs were in the same key as the album. I noticed that on some videos (don't ask me which ones !). Including Memphis, Palace. I don't remember if Bird Dream was 1/2 step up, but it is also a Drop D.

I still bang my head against the wall from time to time about Bird Dream tuning. Sounds like DAEGBE on some shows. Haven't decided yet.

Interesting Pixies interviews from 91-92 about gear, guitar tunings, etc...: http://aleceiffel.free.fr/index_alec.html (old site, click on "instruments" in the left column)

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 10/11/2016 01:00:59
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  02:59:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Sorry about the formatting of my question to you Peter. Still trying to figure out how this works

Subbacultcha was on the Purple Tape in 1987

And the removed chorus from "Subbacultcha" later appeared as the basis for "Distance Equals Rate Times Time"

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  03:14:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Subbacultcha was on the Purple Tape in 1987

And the removed chorus from "Subbacultcha" later appeared as the basis for "Distance Equals Rate Times Time"

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

I love details like this. Like how the basis of Wave of Mutilation (demo) on Doolittle 25 turned up in Adda Lee or how Tame and Planet of Sound were derived from different attributes of Joe Jackson's Mad At You.

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  06:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Planet is a drop D, and they just... drop their guitar to D in 5 seconds.

___
"Service Unavailable"

I remember being happily surprised at how easy it is to drop the E to a D, the first time I did it.

Besides, Frank does that cool little tuning riff when he drops down to D. I'm sure you've heard it from Catholics and Pixies shows. He'd do it before Planet.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  08:02:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope, never noticed that ? Don't they just play the two first strings to check the tuning ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  09:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXZ7hLZ0CPw
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  09:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep. Mostly playing the first strings to tune the guitar "by ear". But cool anyway ;-)

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000